Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Trying to justify a Sebenza

Demel · 41 · 2106

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Re: Trying to justify a Sebenza
Reply #30 on: January 20, 2017, 06:09:28 AM
I've owned/used:
Small Insingo
Small Starbenza
Large Double-Lug Sebenza
Mnandi

Sold and/or traded all of them. Maybe should've kept either the small Starbenza or Insingo, and even then, no biggie.

Mnandi, not worth it. You can find much better value dress folders in this size/category for about half the price.
Large Sebenza. Not worth it. I never felt confident enough using it for tougher tasks. Balanced? Sure. Refined? Yep. But, for a folder of its size, it just never grabbed me. And, as a dress folder, too big.
Small Starbenza. On the fence. Preferred their smaller framelocks over the larger versions. They just felt stronger & more practical, considering design, dimensions & materials.
Small Insingo. On the fence. Same as the small Starbenza.

If I had to pick just one to keep, I'd say the small Starbenza.

Honestly, there are just too many comparable models out there at much better prices, imho. I'm sure many will swear by CRK. To each his/her own.

Many might suggest Spyderco as an alternative (the CRK & Spyderco Armies seem to be the most fanatical). I would suggest Spyderco, too, except for the Leaf design (blade). Leaf doesn't grab me. But, if you do like the Leaf, yeah, I'd stack some of their models up against CRK. Would save you $100+/model. Btw, some of Spyderco's larger models aren't as "leafy" and are pretty nice, like the Paramilitary, fyi.

If you're okay experimenting, go for the Sebenza. Resale value is okay, but you'll still lose a little unless you got a limited/exclusive model and sat on it for a while. If you're okay with "Like New", you can save some money and still get the folder you want. Want a few suggestions/alternatives? Please reply and I'll follow up. First brand I would probably suggest checking out is Zero Tolerance.

After years of owning/carrying/using various better brands, including some customs (like Laconico), I seem to be settling back into fairly priced folders, and even some value folders.

Hope this feedback helps.
You have sage advice from an end user. Important.
I'm not a huge spyderco guy. But this knife is on my wish list... I think much mor beautiful design too.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 06:21:49 AM by kaput »
multi-tools—folding contraptions fixed with all kinds of doo-dads

Offline multiprim

Reply #31 on: January 20, 2017, 08:48:08 AM
I'm not a huge spyderco guy. But this knife is on my wish list... I think much mor beautiful design too. (Image removed from quote.)

Okay, I have to admit, that's hot. Wondering what the actual price will be compared to the original MSRP.

Not to highjack the thread, but I actually like some of Spyderco's value line, Byrd Knives, over their own brand offerings. You can get the Robin in G-10 for around $25, enjoying the heft of Dragonfly's G-10 (which costs around $90-$95), and it's still half the cost of an FRN Dragonfly. Sure, steel isn't VG-10, but I like the blade design more than the Leaf. Btw, the FRN Robin is only $15.

Here's a nice VS video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAY3YezvqzI

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #32 on: January 20, 2017, 09:56:58 AM
Okay, I have to admit, that's hot. Wondering what the actual price will be compared to the original MSRP.
Msrp was around $750. On sale for $445  ;)

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #33 on: January 20, 2017, 10:01:20 AM
Back to the sebbys  :salute:

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #34 on: January 20, 2017, 12:47:55 PM
Here is another reason to go for it, most of of as here has spent that much money easy in a couple of months just buying Multipliers and SAKs. Instead of getting a few Multis, go for the Shebby.
That's my twisted logic. Of course, sound logic would dictate that you should not listen to me.
Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #35 on: January 20, 2017, 01:17:55 PM

I've owned/used:
Small Insingo
Small Starbenza
Large Double-Lug Sebenza
Mnandi

Sold and/or traded all of them. Maybe should've kept either the small Starbenza or Insingo, and even then, no biggie.

Mnandi, not worth it. You can find much better value dress folders in this size/category for about half the price.
Large Sebenza. Not worth it. I never felt confident enough using it for tougher tasks. Balanced? Sure. Refined? Yep. But, for a folder of its size, it just never grabbed me. And, as a dress folder, too big.
Small Starbenza. On the fence. Preferred their smaller framelocks over the larger versions. They just felt stronger & more practical, considering design, dimensions & materials.
Small Insingo. On the fence. Same as the small Starbenza.

If I had to pick just one to keep, I'd say the small Starbenza.

Honestly, there are just too many comparable models out there at much better prices, imho. I'm sure many will swear by CRK. To each his/her own.

Many might suggest Spyderco as an alternative (the CRK & Spyderco Armies seem to be the most fanatical). I would suggest Spyderco, too, except for the Leaf design (blade). Leaf doesn't grab me. But, if you do like the Leaf, yeah, I'd stack some of their models up against CRK. Would save you $100+/model. Btw, some of Spyderco's larger models aren't as "leafy" and are pretty nice, like the Paramilitary, fyi.

If you're okay experimenting, go for the Sebenza. Resale value is okay, but you'll still lose a little unless you got a limited/exclusive model and sat on it for a while. If you're okay with "Like New", you can save some money and still get the folder you want. Want a few suggestions/alternatives? Please reply and I'll follow up. First brand I would probably suggest checking out is Zero Tolerance.

After years of owning/carrying/using various better brands, including some customs (like Laconico), I seem to be settling back into fairly priced folders, and even some value folders.

Hope this feedback helps.

That's a really good take. I'm all for alternatives. :tu: I've had a few Spydercos and they are well worth the money. Tenacious, Native, Centofante are the ones I've had. All three are great knives
Here is another reason to go for it, most of of as here has spent that much money easy in a couple of months just buying Multipliers and SAKs. Instead of getting a few Multis, go for the Shebby.
That's my twisted logic. Of course, sound logic would dictate that you should not listen to me.
I agree. The only multis on my list this year: SOG Powergrab. I was tempted to try the Gerber Center Drive but I don't think it's for me (mainly because of size and weight). So saving up for a CRK seems doable.
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #36 on: January 20, 2017, 01:18:24 PM
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #37 on: January 20, 2017, 01:20:39 PM
I'm not a huge spyderco guy. But this knife is on my wish list... I think much mor beautiful design too. (Image removed from quote.)

Not to highjack the thread, but I actually like some of Spyderco's value line, Byrd Knives, over their own brand offerings. You can get the Robin in G-10 for around $25, enjoying the heft of Dragonfly's G-10 (which costs around $90-$95), and it's still half the cost of an FRN Dragonfly. Sure, steel isn't VG-10, but I like the blade design more than the Leaf. Btw, the FRN Robin is only $15.

Here's a nice VS video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAY3YezvqzI
That is a great looking knife. If anyone I knew wanted a great knife Spyderco would be one of my first suggestions. They have such a huge variety. It's really cool how they make great a product at price points across the board. They deserve a :hatsoff: for that

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #38 on: January 20, 2017, 04:05:57 PM

Excellent way to look at it. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
Reply #39 on: January 23, 2017, 02:24:41 AM
This one is also S35VN (seller's claim!), and costs a lot less than a Sebenza  :P
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CH3504-folding-knife-S35VN-blade-ball-bearing-washer-TC4-titanium-alloy-handle-/262762082727

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #40 on: March 17, 2017, 06:13:09 PM
Where's D and that new Sebbie?!  :whistle:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31