Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Poncho needs a Spyderco- please help!

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Re: Poncho needs a Spyderco- please help!
Reply #60 on: January 02, 2017, 11:24:12 AM
Spydie serrations are the best! Toting SE H1 steel today, as usual....

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #61 on: January 02, 2017, 05:00:20 PM
Random comment here, but fictionally supports an earlier post on serrated edge expanding the length of the blade while retaining the compact size.
In the William Gibson book Johnny Mnemonic one of the protagonist, a street urchin, carried a small but serrated folder that was described to be longer than it looked due to the serrations. Thereby efficiently increasing its cutting power.
This actually inspired me to buy the serrated Spyderco Hunter which I still have. It was my edc back in the 90's and I used it when I was working in the warehouse cutting cardboard, bags, and pallet straps. I actually forgot it and left it next to the public coffee grinder at Food 4 Less. Found it the next day miraculously.

One day I was trying to unsuccessfully and repeatedly cut a pallet strap. Turned out that this particular pallet was using some sort of metal straps. Duh! But kudos to Spyderco workmanship and customer service! The knife was still sharp, but I still turned it in to be sharpened which they did for free.

I've since moved on to plain edge folders which are easier to sharpen but I've kept it for nostalgia. Still in excellent condition. Lock up is solid for what you expect for a pinned lock back.

You got a good knife Poncho.

Sorry for my meandering post. This forum is my therapist.

Never a problem with meandering posts as I do this quite often and this is a good place to come and tell stuff like that because the rest of the world doesn't get us as much as we get each other here :salute: :D

I have a Sharpmaker and keep my serrated blades on my MTs razor sharp so I think I will be able to maintain this beauty as well :dd: :D

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #62 on: January 02, 2017, 05:01:07 PM
Spydie serrations are the best! Toting SE H1 steel today, as usual....

(Image removed from quote.)

and those are the kind of pics that have been making me look at serrated blades to begin with :dd: :like: :like:

:D

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #63 on: January 02, 2017, 05:05:01 PM
I really enjoy having a serrated blade.  I know most are the opposite.  My 2 most carried Spydercos are my Native and Delica both are fully serrated. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #64 on: January 02, 2017, 07:51:51 PM
I really enjoy having a serrated blade.  I know most are the opposite.  My 2 most carried Spydercos are my Native and Delica both are fully serrated.

I am not against a fully serrated blade at all :dd: I just don't like combo blades :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :D

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #65 on: January 03, 2017, 12:16:43 AM
Random comment here, but fictionally supports an earlier post on serrated edge expanding the length of the blade while retaining the compact size.
In the William Gibson book Johnny Mnemonic one of the protagonist, a street urchin, carried a small but serrated folder that was described to be longer than it looked due to the serrations. Thereby efficiently increasing its cutting power.
This actually inspired me to buy the serrated Spyderco Hunter which I still have. It was my edc back in the 90's and I used it when I was working in the warehouse cutting cardboard, bags, and pallet straps. I actually forgot it and left it next to the public coffee grinder at Food 4 Less. Found it the next day miraculously.

One day I was trying to unsuccessfully and repeatedly cut a pallet strap. Turned out that this particular pallet was using some sort of metal straps. Duh! But kudos to Spyderco workmanship and customer service! The knife was still sharp, but I still turned it in to be sharpened which they did for free.

I've since moved on to plain edge folders which are easier to sharpen but I've kept it for nostalgia. Still in excellent condition. Lock up is solid for what you expect for a pinned lock back.

You got a good knife Poncho.

Sorry for my meandering post. This forum is my therapist.

Never a problem with meandering posts as I do this quite often and this is a good place to come and tell stuff like that because the rest of the world doesn't get us as much as we get each other here :salute: :D

I have a Sharpmaker and keep my serrated blades on my MTs razor sharp so I think I will be able to maintain this beauty as well :dd: :D

They specifically named the Matriarch by name in Hannibal Lecter.  Given what he did for fun, you can bet he would have done some research and found an excellent and efficient slicer!   :ahhh

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #66 on: January 03, 2017, 10:55:07 AM
Maybe I have just had the wrong ones, or maybe I am just spoiled by Spyderco's regular line, but I have never had a Byrd that I liked.

Def

The Byrd Meadowlark 2 that  Grathr sent me has been a revelation.......love the knife.

What it also does is create a need to try out a Delica or Endura. 

Problem with that being the price doubles and TBH the 8cr13 blade has been more than good enough......no way I can justify the expense.

The Atlantic Salt is (unfortunately for my budget) a knife I have to own one day.....  :facepalm: Top reasons being ergonomics, followed by my-ugly-child looks, and owning something with H1 steel.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #67 on: January 03, 2017, 03:51:39 PM
I bought an H1 knife, then immediately bought another.

Consider yourself warned.  :P

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #68 on: January 07, 2017, 11:17:32 PM
And without further ado :D I give you my Endura :dd:

20170107_150605 by Poncho 65, on Flickr

20170107_150729 by Poncho 65, on Flickr

This knife is in very good shape and it looks to have never been used :cheers: :cheers: The plastic clip has been done away with and a factory metal clip has been put on this knife other than that the knife probably looks like it did when new :o :like: I cut open another envelope when I went to the mailbox to retrieve this knife from the mailbox and it is very sharp :ahhh :like: :like: We will see how it goes with this knife but I am pleased I purchased it :tu:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #69 on: January 07, 2017, 11:21:33 PM
On another note I like that this is a lockback vs. a liner lock as well ;) :tu: Liner locks are fine but I like this type better :tu:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #70 on: January 07, 2017, 11:23:21 PM
Couple comparison shots for size :cheers:

Next to the Supertool it is big but not unwieldy looking :like:

20170107_153945 by Poncho 65, on Flickr

But next to a Micro Toolclip it looks like a giant :o :D

20170107_155633 by Poncho 65, on Flickr

us Offline David

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #71 on: January 07, 2017, 11:24:31 PM
Sweet!!!      :like:
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #72 on: January 07, 2017, 11:44:47 PM
I hope it works out for you   :tu: Keep us updated  :cheers:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #73 on: January 07, 2017, 11:55:26 PM
 :like: :cheers:

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #74 on: January 08, 2017, 12:16:06 PM
Very nice!
It was about time, I hope to see your thoughts after a week, I guess they'll be interesting to say the least.

:tu:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #75 on: January 08, 2017, 03:53:53 PM
Very nice!
It was about time, I hope to see your thoughts after a week, I guess they'll be interesting to say the least.

After today I may have to forgo carrying a trad for a bit so I have enough room in my pocket to carry everything :facepalm: :D

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #76 on: January 08, 2017, 03:57:13 PM
Very nice!

After today I may have to forgo carrying a trad for a bit so I have enough room in my pocket to carry everything :facepalm: :D

Time to get some 5.11 pants or similar.  You wont run out of space for gear.   :whistle:
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #77 on: January 08, 2017, 04:05:42 PM
Very nice!

Time to get some 5.11 pants or similar.  You wont run out of space for gear.   :whistle:

:rofl:

I am more of a carpenter style pants man :D I have already thought about just carrying some of the smaller trads I have for a while :think: :facepalm: :D

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #78 on: January 09, 2017, 10:33:12 AM
On another note I like that this is a lockback vs. a liner lock as well ;) :tu: Liner locks are fine but I like this type better :tu:

Congrats, hope it serves you well.

I've made my mind up, if I'm going to use a knife lock back or axis locks are the only option.

Frame and liners locks for fondling purposes only......  :cheers:

us Offline Dean51

• No Life Club
  • Geometry cuts but the steel determines how long.
Reply #79 on: January 09, 2017, 06:36:17 PM
Very nice!

:ahhh  :viking:
I tried a modern, a Benchmade mini-barrage, it just wasn't me.
It will be interesting to see how you like the spyderco.
 :popcorn:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #80 on: January 09, 2017, 11:00:52 PM
Still found room for a trad and the Spydie :facepalm: :D

20170109_134952 by Poncho 65, on Flickr

us Offline David

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #81 on: January 09, 2017, 11:50:57 PM
Still found room for a trad and the Spydie :facepalm: :D

20170109_134952 by Poncho 65, on Flickr

:like:
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #82 on: January 10, 2017, 04:39:01 AM

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #83 on: January 11, 2017, 02:12:32 AM
I guess we are going to have to start a "Poncho needs new pants- please help" thread!   :ahhh

Def

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #84 on: January 11, 2017, 02:26:46 AM
I guess we are going to have to start a "Poncho needs new pants- please help" thread!   :ahhh

Def

::) :D

Surprisingly everything fits quite nice even with the Spydie, SAK Ranger and my trad folder of the day :D

I did cut a bit of cardboard with the Spydie and it slayed the cardboard beast like it wasn't even there :o :like:

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #85 on: January 11, 2017, 06:00:47 PM
Serrated Spydie today a always   :cheers:

you'll get used to it  :salute:
My toys:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #86 on: January 11, 2017, 08:08:15 PM
Serrated Spydie today a always   :cheers:

(Image removed from quote.)

you'll get used to it  :salute:

Nice one Peacent :tu: :like: :like:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #87 on: January 11, 2017, 10:49:15 PM
Front

20170111_095249 by Poncho 65, on Flickr

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #88 on: January 11, 2017, 10:50:22 PM
Back

20170111_094923 by Poncho 65, on Flickr

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #89 on: January 13, 2017, 05:54:18 PM
Great pics Poncho!

I'm glad to hear that you have at least cut something with it so far, even if it was just a hunk of cardboard!

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%