Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Favorite Matches!

Poncho65 · 354 · 19230

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Favorite Matches!
on: December 31, 2016, 04:52:06 PM
Hey guys just wondering what is everyone's favorite matches :tu:

I like a few different types but my favorite two are probably the UCO Stormproof matches (just cause they are so cool  8) :D )  and the Strike Anywhere ones from Diamond :dd:

I will get a couple pics up later but if you have any favorite matches let us about them and why you like them :tu: Pics are very much welcome :D

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Favorite Matches!
Reply #1 on: December 31, 2016, 07:56:50 PM
I often just use the Bird wooden matches, as they are the easiest to get a hold of, but I really want to try some different ones and see what might be better.  They aren't water or wind proof, and I often end up using some better ones.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: December 31, 2016, 08:25:04 PM
Strike anywhere matches are hard to find.  I have some Coleman water proof matches but they are water resistant at best. 

I like the looks of those UCO matches as well.  I actually only have lighters now.  I've abandoned matches all together.
Esse Quam Videri

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: December 31, 2016, 08:29:22 PM
I prefer matches for lighting camp stoves and camp fires.  Not that it can't be done with lighters, I just have always used matches for that kind of thing.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: December 31, 2016, 08:35:13 PM
I prefer matches for lighting camp stoves and camp fires.  Not that it can't be done with lighters, I just have always used matches for that kind of thing.

Def

I went the opposite way.  I now use the long reach lighters for my Coleman stoves.   
Esse Quam Videri

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: December 31, 2016, 08:41:21 PM
I have done that from time to time too, but I prefer matches, especially for the Bio Lite stove, which burns wood anyway.

Def

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: December 31, 2016, 09:59:02 PM
Strike anywhere matches are hard to find.  I have some Coleman water proof matches but they are water resistant at best. 

I like the looks of those UCO matches as well.  I actually only have lighters now.  I've abandoned matches all together.

There is a hardware store I got to that sells them and they are as cheap as strike on box matches :o I usually buy the kitchen matches as I like that size better :cheers:

I haven't tried any water proof matches except for the UCO and those are almost impossible to put out once lit :dd: Even sticking them in a cup of water only dampens the flame but once you take it out it relights itself :o :like: :like:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: December 31, 2016, 09:59:39 PM
I will have to look the bird brand matches up and see about them :think: :tu:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: December 31, 2016, 10:25:13 PM
My mistake, they are called Redbird.

Def

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: December 31, 2016, 10:47:06 PM
My mistake, they are called Redbird.

(Image removed from quote.)

Def

I saw those on Ebay but I don't think I have ever saw that brand around here for sale :think: Some very nice artwork on it :tu: How well do they light :think:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: December 31, 2016, 10:47:38 PM
I have almost put myself into the mood to go to the back porch and light some matches :dd: :D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: December 31, 2016, 11:43:31 PM
They are the most common wood match here.  I see them almost everywhere, which is why those are the ones I usually get.  It's availability, not brand loyalty.

They light well enough.  Occasionally one won't light or one will break or they will go out as soon as the head is burnt, but I don't think they are any better or worse than any other plain old every day wood match you get.

Def

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: January 04, 2017, 10:06:32 PM
The go to brand here in Sweden is Solstickan, they are a charity that generates their money from the sales of matches. I also have an old box of matches from Jönköping-Vulcan, once the largest match-factory in the world. Sweden has traditionally been a major country when it comes to matches with Ivar Kreuger as the main man negotiating match monopolies around the world in exchange for loans to the local governments.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #13 on: January 04, 2017, 10:31:42 PM
The go to brand here in Sweden is Solstickan, they are a charity that generates their money from the sales of matches. I also have an old box of matches from Jönköping-Vulcan, once the largest match-factory in the world. Sweden has traditionally been a major country when it comes to matches with Ivar Kreuger as the main man negotiating match monopolies around the world in exchange for loans to the local governments.

Very neat looking match box :cheers: :cheers: :like:

and thanks for a little history of matches in Sweden there as well :like: :like:

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: January 05, 2017, 12:30:38 AM

and thanks for a little history of matches in Sweden there as well :like: :like:

It's worth noting that the design is more or less unchanged since its introduction in 1936.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: January 05, 2017, 03:03:10 AM

It's worth noting that the design is more or less unchanged since its introduction in 1936.

That is pretty cool 8)  :like:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #16 on: January 05, 2017, 01:09:15 PM
Agreed- if I had access to something that was decent quality, readily available and supported charity that is probably the one I would use too.

Def

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #17 on: January 09, 2017, 02:52:57 AM
So does anyone else out in the world have some pics of favorite matches or match boxes :cheers: :cheers: :like:

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #18 on: January 09, 2017, 03:28:14 AM
No favourites here, I just use whatever's cheap. I'm only going to set fire to them anyway  :D

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #19 on: January 09, 2017, 04:23:25 AM
No favourites here, I just use whatever's cheap. I'm only going to set fire to them anyway  :D

But are there any interesting match books or match box art like what 42 had above :dd: :think: :D

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #20 on: January 09, 2017, 02:53:23 PM

But are there any interesting match books or match box art like what 42 had above :dd: :think: :D

:think:

No, sorry

:D

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #21 on: January 09, 2017, 05:36:21 PM
I was mistaken- rather than Redbird I seem to have Touch matches in my outdoor cooking kit at the moment.

I seem to recall buying them at some little corner shop in a small town a whIle ago.

Def

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #22 on: January 17, 2017, 07:16:05 PM
I was mistaken- rather than Redbird I seem to have Touch matches in my outdoor cooking kit at the moment.

I seem to recall buying them at some little corner shop in a small town a whIle ago.

Def

Never saw that brand either :tu: :like: :like:

The box reminds me of a McCormick black pepper container  :D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #23 on: January 18, 2017, 01:03:43 AM
I have a bigger box of those one kicking around somewhere too.

Def

us Offline Spork, Lord of Lime Jello!

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #24 on: January 18, 2017, 01:21:14 AM
The absolute best matches I've ever had are strike anywhere Swan Vestas. I've only found them once in a Tobacconist's shop after reading they were a cult item among pipe and cigar smokers. The heads are pink because they mix the compounds together instead of tipping the head. The box equipped with a sandpaper surface rather than a common striking strip.

Another favorite is the Coghlan's Waterproof Safety matches in the wooden sleeve box. I call them "Greenies"...but the last pack I bought have brown heads, so I guess I'll have to start calling them "Brownies"  ::)

I like the Coleman Waterproof matches...the boxes they come in are made of a durable plastic coated cardboard.
penny_match03.jpg
* penny_match03.jpg (Filesize: 65.66 KB)
vestas04.jpg
* vestas04.jpg (Filesize: 25.38 KB)
matchbox016.jpg
* matchbox016.jpg (Filesize: 49.96 KB)
matchbox017.jpg
* matchbox017.jpg (Filesize: 48.73 KB)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 01:39:38 AM by Spork, Lord of Lime Jello! »

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #25 on: January 18, 2017, 02:00:23 AM
I'll have to check my local smoke shops for those Swan ones.  If they get the Spork seal of approval they must be good!

Def

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #26 on: January 18, 2017, 02:31:24 AM
I'll have to check my local smoke shops for those Swan ones.  If they get the Spork seal of approval they must be good!

Def

Make sure you check for the sandpaper strip....they also have a safety match version

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #27 on: January 18, 2017, 02:33:21 AM
Thanks- I'll have a look and see what I can come up with.  What are your thoughts on a match safe, or is that a whole different thread?  :D

Def

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #28 on: January 18, 2017, 02:52:56 AM
Thanks- I'll have a look and see what I can come up with.  What are your thoughts on a match safe, or is that a whole different thread?  :D

Def

There's a lot of matchsafes...but Nalgene bottles are cheap and bombproof. If you have a reliable source of SA kitchen matches (like those Redbirds) all you need is a spot of skateboard tape for striking...our current Diamond brand SA matches really suck.

The 1 oz Nalgene widemouth will hold kitchen matches without trimming...the 2 oz will hold REI Storm matches

(bonus pic of old school matchsafe I used for many years  :D )

nalgene_match01.jpg
* nalgene_match01.jpg (Filesize: 26.58 KB)
penny_match001.jpg
* penny_match001.jpg (Filesize: 51.13 KB)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #29 on: January 18, 2017, 02:58:53 AM

Def

There's a lot of matchsafes...but Nalgene bottles are cheap and bombproof. If you have a reliable source of SA kitchen matches (like those Redbirds) all you need is a spot of skateboard tape for striking...our current Diamond brand SA matches really suck.

The 1 oz Nalgene widemouth will hold kitchen matches without trimming...the 2 oz will hold REI Storm matches

(bonus pic of old school matchsafe I used for many years  :D )

s this the one you are talking about?  If so, the price is certainly right!

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5009-937/HDPE-Bottle

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%