Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Owning Guns in South Africa

za Offline Humayd A R Mahomedy

Owning Guns in South Africa
on: November 20, 2022, 06:54:33 PM
I was asked about gun ownership in South Africa in the Mini Champ challenge thread and decided to explain the process.
The short answer is yes,we are allowed to own and carry guns for self-defense and sporting use,but it's a laborious process to license a firearm.
my interest in firearms started when my father got into it,i may have been 6 at the time.
my dad bought a Colt Python as his primary handgun,a few years after that he got a Beretta RS 202 pump gun,a Brno Mk2 22LR [1 of my favourite rifles to this day],a Sako Finnbear 270 Win and a Canik C100 a few years ago.

an "ordinary" gun owner is allowed a maximum of 4 firearms,a handgun,shotgun and 2 rifles [but NO self-loading/semi auto firearms] or 2 handguns,a shotgun and 1 rifle,and a maximum of 200 rounds of ammo per licensed firearm. you can apply for a permit to posses more ammo.
Still with the "ordinary firearm owner",the licensing process is as follows -
you need to do a Proficiency Course at a registered service provider. this covers law,theory and practical use of the particular Firearm and includes 2 written tests [i open book,i closed book] and a shooting evaluation.
there are 4 proficiency course types -
* Handgun [Semi-auto and revolver]
* Shotgun [Pump-action]
* Manually-operated Rifle
* Semi-auto Rifle

You could do these courses individually,or all at once [most companies offer a discount for all four].
You then obtain the Competency application forms from your DFO [District Firearms Officer] at your local pd,or download off the SAPS [South African Police Services] website.
there are 4 competency types for the above listed firearm types. the applications could be done individually or together [multiple competency applications can be combined on a single application].
applications are submitted at the DFO at your local PD. it's then sent to the provincial DFO who forwards the application to the Central Firearms Registry in Pretoria

You require the ffg to apply for the Competency Certificate -
2 colour passport photos
2 ID copies
2 Proficiency Certificate copies [Including statements of results]
The completed application form
4 Character references [spouse/partner,neighbour,friend,religious leader,employer]
Motivation explaining  the reasons for the application [recommended]
Proof of address
you get fingerprinted every time you submit a Firearm or related application at SAPS for a criminal check.
there is an admin fee [equivalent of like 10 bucks]
you will or won't be notified on the status of your application which should take a maximum of 120 business days but is a crap shoot,my last 1 took just over a year.

once you obtain the Certificate you can apply for your firearm.
you can buy any firearm at any point,a license is required for possession.
some stores have ranges atatched,or on the property,in this case,you will be allowed to shoot your gun,under supervision.

there are different categories under which firearms are licensed,i'll list the 3 most common.
the licenses have a limited period of validity,they have to be renewed before expiry.
Section 13 [abbreviated to Sec] Self-defense,valid for 5 years
Sec 15 Occasional Sporting use,valid for 10 years
Sec 16 Dedicated Sporting use,validfor 10 years. the Applicant under this section is required to be a Dedicated Sportsman  or Dedicated Hunter [aka DSS,the type will be listed on the DSS certificate] with any of a number of organizations registered with SAPS. each organization has their own criteria for DSS and for maintenance of Dedicated Status.
i had DSS with the SA Practical Pistol Association but moved to the National Shooting and Hunting Association.
As mentioned,DSS has to be maintained annually,by participating in the Organizations activities

there are other license sections covering business use [Security,Hunting,valid for 2 years] and Restricted Firearm [Semi-auto Shotgun or Rifle also 2 years IIRC] for Self-defense

to apply for a firearm license the ffg is required
2 colour passport photos
2 ID copies
2 Proficiency Certificate copies [Including statements of results]
2 Competency Certificate copies
The completed application form
4 Character references [spouse/partner,neighbour,friend,religious leader,employer]
Motivation explaining  the reasons for the application . For a Sec 16 application,an endorsement is required from the DSS-issuing organization as well.
Proof of safekeeping [pics of safe,and all security measures,eg,burglar bars,gates,alarm system]
Proof of address
Fingerprints
Admin fee
i usually include scores for club shoots [i'm a member of a club that hosts level 1 and 2 IPSC matches],a list of activities from my DSS organization and all certificates i may have for any training courses.
i also included proof my participation in reloading,for rifle applications.
again, the application is supposed to take a minimum of 120 business days.

Fortunately,renewals are sent to the Provincial DFO only. the paperwork is the same,the license is considered valid until finalized [approved or rejected]. this can also take as long as required [6 months to a couple years] but we can still posses and use that firearm.

For self-defense,a firearm can only be used under certain conditions,and to protect life ONLY.
we can use any licensed firearm for this purpose,as stipulated by the Firearms Control Act [60/2000].
There are constant attacks on our privileges to own firearms, despite the prevalence of violent crime,and theft of guns and ammo from the police and military annually.
apologies for any typos and inaccuracies,i wrote this from memory.

to end on a good note,a few pics of me shooting  :D

FB_IMG_1668269992796 by Humayd a r Mahomedy, on Flickr
this was at Kembatives Pistol course last Sunday. gun is a Canik P120 i've been EDC'ing since 2014.
i own a CZ 75B,a CZ SP01 O,a Browning challenger and a Winchester 1300 12ga. i own a few more,but i'm still awaiting licenses on those.

20220326_154146march26 browning1 by Humayd a r Mahomedy, on Flickr
shooting the Browning

july 22b by Humayd a r Mahomedy, on Flickr
22LR target

« Last Edit: November 20, 2022, 08:17:45 PM by Humayd A R Mahomedy »

Re: Owning Guns in South Africa
Reply #1 on: November 20, 2022, 08:15:06 PM
apologies for the dual post

us Offline Farmer X

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Master of the unexciting
Reply #2 on: November 21, 2022, 06:30:08 AM
You weren't kidding; that is a laborious process. And theft of firearms by the police and military is no good. But folks in many countries have it far worse.
USN 2000-2006

Afflicted with Alox-Pox and seeking the cure: more Alox!

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: November 21, 2022, 12:01:52 PM
apologies for the dual post

I'm only seeing one post. Badge awarded  :salute:
They don't like it up 'em!

Reply #4 on: November 21, 2022, 03:17:43 PM
You weren't kidding; that is a laborious process. And theft of firearms by the police and military is no good. But folks in many countries have it far worse.

thanks Farmer X,for reminding me to be grateful,Lord knows we have it better than most

I'm only seeing one post. Badge awarded  :salute:

thank you Sir  :salute:

us Offline ThisAlarm7

Reply #5 on: November 21, 2022, 03:40:48 PM
Thanks for that write-up, it was very interesting. South Africa figures frequently in self-defense and use of force videos on Active Self Protection and similar channels, and I'm glad at least as others mentioned it is more friendly to armed self-defense that many other countries. Nonetheless, a reminder I'm fortunate for the laws here in the mountain west of the US.

Stay safe

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
Reply #6 on: November 21, 2022, 06:48:04 PM
I have to hand myself in just for reading about firearms  :twak: :facepalm:
They don't like it up 'em!

Reply #7 on: November 22, 2022, 05:23:08 AM
Thanks for that write-up, it was very interesting. South Africa figures frequently in self-defense and use of force videos on Active Self Protection and similar channels, and I'm glad at least as others mentioned it is more friendly to armed self-defense that many other countries. Nonetheless, a reminder I'm fortunate for the laws here in the mountain west of the US.

Stay safe

thank you.
unfortunately violent crime is prevalent here.

I have to hand myself in just for reading about firearms  :twak: :facepalm:

before you do,visit the Purdey ang Holland and Holland showrooms in London  :D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24