Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Favorite Matches!

Poncho65 · 354 · 19610

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Favorite Matches!
Reply #150 on: January 21, 2019, 05:56:51 PM
Got some matches in the mail today, which will be tested next time I'm outvin the woods.(Image removed from quote.)

Sent fra min FRD-L09 via Tapatalk

Let us know how they do :cheers: Cool art work on those and I have never seen that brand :tu: :like:

:nanadance:          :nanadance:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #151 on: January 21, 2019, 06:00:00 PM
Great links and info,  Max :tu: :like: will have to give them a good read :salute:
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 06:32:52 PM by Poncho65 »

za Offline Max Stone

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #152 on: January 21, 2019, 06:13:55 PM
Got some matches in the mail today, which will be tested next time I'm outvin the woods.(Image removed from quote.)

Let us know how they do :cheers: Cool art work on those and I have never seen that brand :tu: :like:

Yes Poncho, let us know how it goes with a hot redhead in the woods!  :tu:
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

se Offline RF52

Reply #153 on: January 21, 2019, 07:08:17 PM
I stumbled over them on a auction site here and after following this thread, I just had to have them :like:
I'll let you know if they work as advertised :cheers:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #154 on: January 21, 2019, 07:17:01 PM

:popcorn: :like:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #155 on: January 21, 2019, 07:17:49 PM

Yes Poncho, let us know how it goes with a hot redhead in the woods!  :tu:

::) :rofl:

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #156 on: January 21, 2019, 07:28:37 PM
Fire extinguisher?   :think:

We've seen how virtually impossible it is to extinguish storm proof matches, I am not sure even this would help!   :ahhh

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

se Offline RF52

Reply #157 on: January 21, 2019, 08:57:52 PM

We've seen how virtually impossible it is to extinguish storm proof matches, I am not sure even this would help!   :ahhh

(Image removed from quote.)

Def
The reasons I didn't light one at home when I got them :rofl:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #158 on: January 22, 2019, 01:11:09 AM

(Image removed from quote.)

Def
The reasons I didn't light one at home when I got them :rofl:

:o

:D

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #159 on: January 22, 2019, 03:18:33 AM
Looking up matches on the internet and found this on Wikipedia :cheers:

Pretty good read actually :tu:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #160 on: January 22, 2019, 03:36:06 AM
Earlier in this thread it was said that the Strike Anywhere Matches have been classified as hazardous goods and therefore can't be shipped as easily as safety or stormproof matches :facepalm: I have noticed that UCO also no longer makes a strike anywhere match :( I guess I will have to stick to getting Diamond ones if I need anymore ??? I only see them at one hardware store that I go to occasionally and haven't noticed if they still carry them or not :ahhh Sure hope they do and I may stop by in the next while to check to see if they have any of them in small boxes :cheers: If so I may buy a few more as these are getting progressively harder to find ::) :D

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #161 on: January 22, 2019, 06:52:50 AM
What a neat thread.  Glad it got bumped.  Redheads for matches is such a brilliant name. 
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 06:54:08 AM by Aloha007 »
Esse Quam Videri

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #162 on: January 22, 2019, 12:15:35 PM
Earlier in this thread it was said that the Strike Anywhere Matches have been classified as hazardous goods and therefore can't be shipped as easily as safety or stormproof matches :facepalm: I have noticed that UCO also no longer makes a strike anywhere match :( I guess I will have to stick to getting Diamond ones if I need anymore ??? I only see them at one hardware store that I go to occasionally and haven't noticed if they still carry them or not :ahhh Sure hope they do and I may stop by in the next while to check to see if they have any of them in small boxes :cheers: If so I may buy a few more as these are getting progressively harder to find ::) :D

Thanks for the link!  I actually had that page open yesterday to copy the description into the Match folder I created on the MTO Gallery, but didn't read any more than just the first paragraph that I stole!   :facepalm:

http://gallery.multitool.org/index.php/Fire/Matches

The rest of the page is well worth the read too.....

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #163 on: January 22, 2019, 12:19:31 PM
Looking up matches on the internet and found this on Wikipedia :cheers:

Pretty good read actually :tu:

Great read...some real jewels:

“...This marvelous thing was formerly called a "light-bringing slave", but afterward when it became an article of commerce its name was changed to 'fire inch-stick'...”

and also that early matches were “...ignited by dipping its tip in a small asbestos bottle filled with sulfuric acid.”  :facepalm:

“...Lucifers could ignite explosively, sometimes throwing sparks a considerable distance...”  >:D

“...there was enough white phosphorus in one pack to kill a person. Deaths and suicides from eating the heads of matches became frequent.”  :o

The early matches were certainly hazardous. No wonder today’s versions are called ‘safety matches’  :)

Such a fascinating history for such a tiny marvel.
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #164 on: January 22, 2019, 12:34:15 PM
No problem guys :salute: I actually followed the WIkipedia link from an article I was reading that was pretty good but most of their info was from the link :D So instead of the article I just linked to the source :whistle: I never realized that matches had such a  controversial past though :ahhh and dangerous :o I hope everyone is enjoying this thread as much as I am :tu: :like:

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #165 on: January 22, 2019, 05:21:31 PM
We have one major match manufacturer in South Africa called Lion Match. They make these monster matches for lighting your barbecue (we call it a “braai”).  :)

They’re over 2 inches long and impregnated with paraffin. Serious matches!  :ahhh

Love this thread!  :salute:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #166 on: January 22, 2019, 05:44:41 PM
UCO has sweet fire product similar to those.
Show content
Esse Quam Videri

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #167 on: January 22, 2019, 05:50:11 PM
Cool...! I mean hot  :ahhh

Love the triangular shape. I guess if King Kong smoked this is what he’d use  :)

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #168 on: January 22, 2019, 06:15:12 PM
Those are cool (guess I should mean hot as well :ahhh ) Max  :like: I have some of the sweet fires headed this way ::) and Diamond also has a similar product for lighting bbq's  :cheers:
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 08:02:23 PM by Poncho65 »

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #169 on: January 22, 2019, 06:32:00 PM
I like to use the Weber Chimney.  It has been my go to for years. 
Esse Quam Videri

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #170 on: January 22, 2019, 07:47:15 PM
Those are indeed very neat!

I had a similar idea a little while ago- I have two large dogs, and since I am a responsible adult (as far as my dogs are concerned anyway!) I pick up their poop.  In the center of these poop bag rolls is a small cardboard tube, and I end up with a lot of them in my pockets as I never seem to remember to throw them out.  One day I was looking at them and thinking that if I filled each one with a bit of paraffin and some dryer lint, and stuck a match in the end, I'd probably have a pretty darned good survival match.

Now that we are all talking about it, maybe I will have to look into it a bit more.  :D

Def

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #171 on: January 22, 2019, 08:04:28 PM
Pics and more pics if you decide to make any :pok: :D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #172 on: January 22, 2019, 10:14:24 PM
Here are a couple of the poop bag cardboard rolls and the Redbird matches.  I can fit three matches inside the cardboard tube, which would really give it a heck of a kick off, although I am not sure how much paraffin and lint I'd get in there with three of them.  Maybe two would be enough?

Sounds like it may be time to start the Great Flaming Poop Bag Experiment of 2019!   :ahhh

Def

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #173 on: January 22, 2019, 10:34:25 PM
Sounds like an excellent project Grant - let us know how it goes. You may need a way to store the incendiary to prevent the paraffin evaporating.  ???

Just make sure the used poop bags are well separated from the incendiaries when you test them  :facepalm:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #174 on: January 23, 2019, 12:26:07 AM
I didn't know paraffin evaporated?  My plan was to mix some paraffin and lint (or sawdust, or some combination of the two) together until it became a truly sticky, disgusting mess, then pour it into the tube and stick a couple of matches in before it solidified.  Then dip the head of the match in some paraffin for waterproofing and let the whole thing set.  I figure then when I need it I can just strike the match through the paraffin and the whole thing should burn for a while.

Of course, there's an awful lot in that plan that can go horribly wrong, so it should be interesting.  :D

Maybe small bubbles of diesel or something in the middle would keep things interesting!   >:D

Def

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #175 on: January 23, 2019, 03:50:27 AM
Diesel >:D

Forget pics :D I want video if you try it :rofl:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #176 on: January 23, 2019, 04:08:39 AM
I figure then when I need it I can just strike the match through the paraffin and the whole thing should burn for a while.

You will need to scrape the paraffin off, first. Otherwise the paraffin gums up the striker and/or prevents 'strike anywhere' from developing enough friction to ignite (before the head gets rubbed off).

Ask me how I know..... :-\

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #177 on: January 23, 2019, 05:22:26 AM
I didn't know paraffin evaporated?  ...

Only slowly at ambient temperatures, but if you leave your incendiaries in a hot car or back pack it will.

Definite +1 for video!  :like:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #178 on: January 23, 2019, 05:27:52 AM
I was rummaging through some fishing gear and found these:

"Matches Waterproof, Safety Mk 2"

I guess I had these in some field kit at some point. They have to be at least 20 years old...25 years-old would be a better bet. The striker patches are mount on the exterior of the lid top and container base. You can see the cap is cracked, the label has peeled off, and the lid doesn't seal very well.

I took one out and fired it right up, one strike.

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #179 on: January 23, 2019, 05:49:38 AM
NATO spec. Very nice  :like:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%