Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Favorite Matches!

Poncho65 · 354 · 19469

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Favorite Matches!
Reply #270 on: February 04, 2019, 03:18:18 PM
Be great to have strike anywhere storm matches  :tu:
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #271 on: February 04, 2019, 04:33:33 PM
I had thought to take the strikers out but then I wondered whether the striker paper is waterproof and will matches strike on it when it is wet? I'll ask UCO and get back to you. Would be a bit silly to have stormproof matches that cannot be lit.

There is no substitute for empiric testing.  :pok:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #272 on: February 04, 2019, 04:43:10 PM
These are simply the nicest matches I've ever used:

They fire up beautifully and the match sticks are a bit thicker than the average. It used to be that one could find Strike Anywhere Blue Tip matches, but I don't think they are available anymore. Too bad.  :cry:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #273 on: February 04, 2019, 06:30:53 PM
Great matches and match safe, pombz :like: unfortunately the strikers are not waterproof as I have seen in several YouTube videos :facepalm: so keep all strikers inside the safe until needed :tu: that way they will stay dry :cheers: Zippos match safe on the other hand has a protective cap over their strikers keeping it dry but the UCO matches are superior  :salute: still I want one of the UCO safes as they look really nice :like:

Love those matches as well, Nix :dd: been looking at the Ohio ones since I restarted this thread  :cheers: it is a shame that they dont make the strike anywhere ones anymore as well :-\

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #274 on: February 04, 2019, 06:36:18 PM
The Blue Tips are pricey....but a joy to use.

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #275 on: February 04, 2019, 07:31:36 PM
Great matches and match safe, pombz :like: unfortunately the strikers are not waterproof as I have seen in several YouTube videos :facepalm: so keep all strikers inside the safe until needed :tu: that way they will stay dry :cheers: Zippos match safe on the other hand has a protective cap over their strikers keeping it dry but the UCO matches are superior  :salute: still I want one of the UCO safes as they look really nice :like:

Love those matches as well, Nix :dd: been looking at the Ohio ones since I restarted this thread  :cheers: it is a shame that they dont make the strike anywhere ones anymore as well :-\

Useful, thanks!
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #276 on: February 12, 2019, 03:19:41 AM
So I have bought something that is a match but also a firestarter/tinder :cheers: They are the Diamond Strike-a-Fire strikeable firestarters :like: They are very similar to the UCO Sweetfire strikeable firestarters :tu:

I got a box of these (48 in a box) at Wal-Mart in the grilling section for around $10 US :o The Sweetfire ones cost me around $8 US for 20 :salute: For fire starting in general I believe that the Diamond ones are a much better deal as they are suppose to burn for 12-15 minutes (what it says on the back) and cost roughly 21 cents each :like: while the UCO Sweetfire ones only burn about 7 minutes and cost roughly 40 cents each :think: I do think that the Sweetfire are still a good deal and come in a much more compact box (think kitchen matches sized box) with better striking surfaces on each side of the box, which would be more convenient to carry with you into the woods but you could likely stick a few of the Diamond ones in a ziploc with a striker and be just as convenient :cheers: Also considering the size of the Diamond ones, you could cut them in half or in fourths if in survival situation and make 2 match ones and 2 extra just for tinder (if you have another source for making fire) :tu: Couple comparison pics of the 2 :cheers:

I am going to try and strike one of each in the near future and see how long they actually burn and see how each one fairs :salute: I think I will also cut the Diamond ones in half both ways and in fourths to also check to see how they do like that :tu:

Also of note, the Sweetfire ones have a much better and more natural smell (being made from sugar cane fibers) whereas the Diamond ones have more of a fuel type smell (no idea what they are made from but do look similar to the Sweetfire). I am guessing this is less environmentally friendly but in survival I wouldn't be thinking about that as much as just regular use ::) but they are sold in the grilling section so perhaps not majorly bad for the environment or food :D

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #277 on: February 12, 2019, 04:38:32 AM
When is the Annual Poncho's Bonfire and S'Mores roast?   :pok:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #278 on: February 12, 2019, 04:56:24 AM
When is the Annual Poncho's Bonfire and S'Mores roast?   :pok:

Usually around Marchish :shrug: :D I need to get a pile of wood and have a bonfire with hot dogs and s'mores :drool: If it isn't raining and I have any time off in the next while I think I may gather some wood and stack it in my usual fire burning area :tu:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #279 on: February 12, 2019, 05:19:30 AM
 :ahhh

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #280 on: February 12, 2019, 03:33:58 PM
So I have bought something that is a match but also a firestarter/tinder :cheers: They are the Diamond Strike-a-Fire strikeable firestarters :like: They are very similar to the UCO Sweetfire strikeable firestarters :tu:

(Image removed from quote.)

I got a box of these (48 in a box) at Wal-Mart in the grilling section for around $10 US :o The Sweetfire ones cost me around $8 US for 20 :salute: For fire starting in general I believe that the Diamond ones are a much better deal as they are suppose to burn for 12-15 minutes (what it says on the back) and cost roughly 21 cents each :like: while the UCO Sweetfire ones only burn about 7 minutes and cost roughly 40 cents each :think: I do think that the Sweetfire are still a good deal and come in a much more compact box (think kitchen matches sized box) with better striking surfaces on each side of the box, which would be more convenient to carry with you into the woods but you could likely stick a few of the Diamond ones in a ziploc with a striker and be just as convenient :cheers: Also considering the size of the Diamond ones, you could cut them in half or in fourths if in survival situation and make 2 match ones and 2 extra just for tinder (if you have another source for making fire) :tu: Couple comparison pics of the 2 :cheers:

I am going to try and strike one of each in the near future and see how long they actually burn and see how each one fairs :salute: I think I will also cut the Diamond ones in half both ways and in fourths to also check to see how they do like that :tu:

Also of note, the Sweetfire ones have a much better and more natural smell (being made from sugar cane fibers) whereas the Diamond ones have more of a fuel type smell (no idea what they are made from but do look similar to the Sweetfire). I am guessing this is less environmentally friendly but in survival I wouldn't be thinking about that as much as just regular use ::) but they are sold in the grilling section so perhaps not majorly bad for the environment or food :D

Are those UCO Sweetfire's wind/weather proof like their matches?
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #281 on: February 12, 2019, 03:37:38 PM
Wind proof, no. 
Esse Quam Videri

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #282 on: February 12, 2019, 03:56:09 PM
Wind proof, no. 

I just watched that actually, not sure it's fair, the matches are the same, you have to wave them to relight them after soaking or blowing them hard.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #283 on: February 12, 2019, 04:02:57 PM
Fair enough.  Lets see if we can get a member to test for us.   :popcorn: 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #284 on: February 12, 2019, 04:39:53 PM
The version I have is just like a regular match :salute: but they have them now with a similar top to the stormproof ones :cheers: I just don't have any of those and wasn't sure if i was willing to give the greater price for that feature  :think: :D

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #285 on: March 18, 2019, 07:15:42 PM
Remember these?

I finally lit one over the weekend.  The bad news is that I forgot to switch my camera to video mode, but the good news is that it was on burst mode, so I got a few good photos even if I didn't get video.

They didn't burn as long as UCO matches do, but that is to be expected as they are a fraction of the size.  It did burn for about ten seconds before getting to the wood and being blown out by the wind.  It was neat to see that a 50 year old match had just as much potential today as it did (at least) five decades ago.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #286 on: March 18, 2019, 07:32:18 PM
That is awesome news, Grant  :o I am a little surprised but very glad to see that it lit up and burned as it was suppose to when it was new :like:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #287 on: March 18, 2019, 07:40:55 PM
I am just guessing they burn as well as they did when they were new.  It seemed to burn with about what I would expect from a match of that size, but as I wasn't around to witness a burn of them 50 years ago I really have no frame of reference.  :D

But, regardless of how well they originally would have worked, they work excellently now.  :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #288 on: March 18, 2019, 08:22:09 PM
That is impressive for a match of that age!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #289 on: March 18, 2019, 08:31:12 PM
I guess the chemicals that ignite don't deteriorate, even if whatever binding agent that's in there does?   :think:

Def

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #290 on: March 19, 2019, 06:23:49 AM
That's amazing!
Barry

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #291 on: March 19, 2019, 02:04:30 PM
Not bad at all.  Those would sure do the trick.  Key is have all your tinder ready to go before you light the match.  The burn time sure seems sufficient enough for sure.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #292 on: March 19, 2019, 04:05:25 PM
This reminds me that I am suppose to light some of those fire starter matches and time them :facepalm: Slipped my mind completely until Grant posted this about those old matches  :ahhh will try to do the test in the next few days, perhaps weekend :salute:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #293 on: April 10, 2019, 12:15:12 AM
Well I finally remembered to light one of the Strike a Fire firestarter matches  :cheers:

It was a little bit windy but nothing that a normal Spring day might be :tu: I lit it and it went straight out :facepalm: I had a few strike anywhere matches and got out of the wind and finally got the thing to catch fire :ahhh I then stuck it down in the ground and started a timer :tu: it burned for 16 minutes and 50 seconds :o very pleased with that time  :like: it also had flames around the 3 minute mark that were sustained long enough and hot enough to boil water :salute:

The first pic is when I first lit it, second was about 3 minutes in and the 3rd poc was almost at 10 minutes :cheers: after the 10 minute mark it was very small flames but with as long as it burned (provided you can get it going) it would definitely dry kindling out enough that it would catch fire and help start a decent fire :like:

Worth taking camping but I wouldn't recommend these as a piece of survival gear (which clearly they aren't and are for grilling :D ) still was fun to watch it burn :whistle: :D
20190409_164914-756x1008.jpg
* 20190409_164914-756x1008.jpg (Filesize: 255.83 KB)
20190409_165247-756x1008.jpg
* 20190409_165247-756x1008.jpg (Filesize: 291.7 KB)
20190409_165821-756x1008.jpg
* 20190409_165821-756x1008.jpg (Filesize: 251.95 KB)

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #294 on: April 10, 2019, 12:56:55 AM
 :woohoo:. Way to go Poncho!
Barry

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #295 on: April 10, 2019, 01:15:56 AM
Thanks Barry  :hatsoff:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #296 on: April 10, 2019, 01:31:03 AM
Impressive. Perhaps overkill for that cigar you've been saving though.........  :rofl:

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #297 on: April 10, 2019, 04:06:12 AM
 :rofl:
Barry

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #298 on: April 10, 2019, 04:50:09 AM
Overkill :think: Never :ahhh :D

The taste that it might pass on the cigar on the other hand would be awful  :-\ :D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #299 on: April 10, 2019, 02:16:54 PM
Those are pretty cool Poncho!

It kind of sucks that they don't light themselves as they are supposed to though.   :facepalm:

Still, I can see some benefit to them, although maybe not as much as just plain firestarters.  What is the pricing like on them?

Also, do you think they would fare any better if sheltered from the wind?

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%