Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Favorite Matches!

Poncho65 · 354 · 19219

us Offline Spork, Lord of Lime Jello!

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Re: Favorite Matches!
Reply #30 on: January 18, 2017, 03:04:53 AM

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #31 on: January 18, 2017, 03:20:30 AM
I'll have to check my local smoke shops for those Swan ones.  If they get the Spork seal of approval they must be good!

Def

+1 I will have to look for those as well :tu: Love the pics as usual Spork :cheers: :like: :like:

and thanks for the suggestions :cheers:

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #32 on: January 18, 2017, 03:24:25 AM
Look for a real Tobacconist shop...not the kind that sells Ecigs and Hookahs  :D

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #33 on: January 18, 2017, 03:40:46 PM
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #34 on: January 18, 2017, 03:41:20 PM
Look for a real Tobacconist shop...not the kind that sells Ecigs and Hookahs  :D

If DaveK were here those would be fighting words!  :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #35 on: January 18, 2017, 04:58:28 PM
 :ahhh

Def

:ahhh

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #36 on: February 07, 2017, 10:02:19 AM
Grew up with Swan Vesta's in England and still my go to match. Can't stand safety matches.
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #37 on: February 07, 2017, 10:48:36 PM

Def

:rofl:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #38 on: March 06, 2017, 02:22:02 AM
Totally ignoring Spork's advice above, I decided to pick up the UCO Titan matchsafe yesterday.  I was in MEC looking for something else when I came across it and thought "hey, I should grab that."

So I did.

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5046-826/Titan-Stormproof-Match-Kit

So far it has kept the matches clean and dry, but considering that it hasn't been outside the house since I brought it home, that doesn't seem like a major accomplishment.   ::)

We'll see what it's like this year in the kayak.

Def

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #39 on: March 06, 2017, 07:57:41 PM
The Titan matchsafe with fancypants matches is nice...but what are you going to carry your Redbirds in for general lighting?  :D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #40 on: March 07, 2017, 12:14:29 AM
Where I usually carry them... in my bloomers....  :ahhh

I guess I will just keep carrying the Redbirds in my cooking kit with my pots and pans.  I will probably pick up one of the travel bottles like you suggested sooner or later- they just weren't directly in front of me the other day!  :D

Do you have any suggestions on strike anywhere matches?  I can't seem to locate any and Megan insists on them after a set of fancy matches didn't work on an overnght camping trip she went on a couple of years ago.

Def

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #41 on: March 07, 2017, 12:21:13 AM
I thought Redbirds had a good reputation? UCO strike anywheres are supposed to be good if you can get them..I have not tried them myself.

I will use pretty much any match that comes to hand...including paper book matches.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #42 on: March 07, 2017, 12:38:33 AM
So would I, but the park rangers gave Megan strike anywhere matches after hers failed and now she's of the mind that they are the only things good enough.

Def

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #43 on: March 07, 2017, 01:11:57 AM
I bet they were Redbird matches...that seems to be the brand up there - http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/redbird-matches-250-pk-0761902p.html

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #44 on: March 07, 2017, 02:37:51 AM
Redbird does seem to be the brand I get and see the most, but they aren't a strike anywhere match.

I see so few of them these days, I am starting to wonder if perhaps they were outlawed for some reason.

Def

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #45 on: March 07, 2017, 03:27:53 AM
Redbird does seem to be the brand I get and see the most, but they aren't a strike anywhere match.

I see so few of them these days, I am starting to wonder if perhaps they were outlawed for some reason.

Def

Strike anywhere matches are harder to find here as well :think: Wonder why :shrug: Could they be more expensive to produce and they may get the same price as the strike on box matches :think: ???

I still love the strike anywhere's though :dd: :D

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Reply #46 on: March 07, 2017, 04:11:00 AM

Def

Strike anywhere matches are harder to find here as well :think: Wonder why :shrug: Could they be more expensive to produce and they may get the same price as the strike on box matches :think: ???

I still love the strike anywhere's though :dd: :D

It's a "safety" thing.  Less likely to get lit accidentally.  They must be the same cost to make, they just put half the chemicals on the "sandpaper" instead of putting them on the match head.
- Steve

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #47 on: March 07, 2017, 12:29:07 PM
That's kind of what I figured it must be.

Def

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #48 on: March 07, 2017, 04:29:07 PM
I initially heard that it was because they were used for Meth production...actually it is the red phosphorus on the striker strip, so that was partly untrue because it could be scraped of from book matches.

I think it is actually because the hazardous material classification for them changed and fewer stores are willing to stock them. Around here I can only find Diamond brand SA's in a local builder's supply chain...in the past you could find them in any grocery or drug store.

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2012/3/prweb9271990.htm

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #49 on: March 07, 2017, 08:42:45 PM
Sill6 liability law....

Def

ca Offline jcs0001

Reply #50 on: March 09, 2017, 02:15:00 AM
I've been carrying the Redbird Strike anywhere matches - same as the ones shown by Grant.  They are definitely strike anywhere - I just tried them.  I bought a couple of boxes two or three years ago and as I recall they were available in the larger grocery stores and hardware stores. (Western Canada).

I also bought a waterproof case with uco matches - they are very impressive.  The ones I have aren't strike anywhere so one needs the strip they come with for lighting.

I have a couple of these with strike anywhere matches:
https://www.mec.ca/en/product/0199-158/Match-Case

Also have one of these:
http://www.leevalley.com/en/garden/page.aspx?p=65241&cat=2,40725,45454
The strike anywhere matches don't work that well on the rough area in my experience.

I also carry one or two cheap lighters just in case.

Using the small nalgene bottles for match holders is an excellent idea.

John.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #51 on: March 09, 2017, 02:27:44 AM
Thanks for the input John.  I guess I'll let her look for whatever matches she wants and have mine handy just in case she comes up short. 

Harder to be blamed that way.....

Def

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #52 on: March 09, 2017, 03:19:42 AM
Tread tape...aka skateboard tape...aka wing walk tape...works fairly well as a match strike surface. It's waterproof, tough and the adhesive holds well.
skateboard_tape03.jpg
* skateboard_tape03.jpg (Filesize: 60.43 KB)

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #53 on: January 16, 2019, 01:22:24 AM
Bringing this thread back because I was wanting to know if anyone has had any experience with the Zippo Typoon Matches :think: I have some storm proof matches that are really good from UCO but the ones from Zippo look like tiny torches instead of matches :ahhh :D

With several new members since this last post before this one :D what types of matches do you guys use :cheers: does anyone use waterproof matches, strike anywhere and any other types of matches :think:

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #54 on: January 16, 2019, 02:26:42 PM
I grew up with Swan Vesta's, far more popular than Cook's as they were strike anywhere. I'm a fan now of the UCO Stormproof matches. :)
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #55 on: January 16, 2019, 06:43:14 PM
Earlier in the thread I remember Spork also speaking highly of the Swan Vesta brand :tu: dont think I have heard of the Cook's brand or seen pics of those either :think:
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 06:45:18 PM by Poncho65 »

us Offline thatotherguy

Reply #56 on: January 16, 2019, 09:56:45 PM
When I use matches I generally use Diamond safety kitchen matches because the strike anywheres you can get around here are junk and the Swan Vestas or Three Stars matches are a bit pricey for me.
That said, I usually reach for a lighter. A Bic is reliable in a kit for more uses than a comparably sized stash of susceptible to soaking matches, and a Zippo lights my pipe in the wind with a minimum of muss or fuss. Matches are a luxury usually saved for those rare occasions that I find myself in a tobacconist's lounge with no wind to blow my match out and an ashtray close to hand in which I may safely toss my partially burnt match splints.

Even then, I usually use a Zippo simply because I usually have one on me, where I don't typically carry matches.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #57 on: January 17, 2019, 12:47:03 AM
I know some pipe users who say they won't use Zippos because of the lighter fluid flavor it gives the tobacco :think: what is your take on that :cheers: I personally don't think it would affect it but I have never smoked a pipe  :D

Also what Zippo or Zippos do you have :D I have a few myself just because I like fire ::) :D

us Offline thatotherguy

Reply #58 on: January 17, 2019, 01:48:08 AM
I know some pipe users who say they won't use Zippos because of the lighter fluid flavor it gives the tobacco :think: what is your take on that :cheers: I personally don't think it would affect it but I have never smoked a pipe  :D

Also what Zippo or Zippos do you have :D I have a few myself just because I like fire ::) :D
You can taste the fluid for the first couple puffs, but it doesn't taint the whole bowl, and it's no worse than the flavor of butane (which I can taste, those who claim they can't be darned). I don't mind having to deal with a slight fluid taste for a few draws in exchange with actually being able to light my pipe outdoors without having to fight to keep the flame going in a stiff breeze like I do with matches or most (soft flame, no torches on nice pipes) butane lighters. Others differ, and that's fine. Different strokes for different folks.

I have a small collection of Zippos, the one I carry most is nothing even a wee bit special, a bone stock 1941 replica in brushed chrome. Love the way it feels in my hands.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #59 on: January 17, 2019, 02:40:18 AM
The look of the 41 is very nice and retro 8) if you have some time a nice pic of it would be great :cheers:

Yes, I would say butane has a weird odor type taste :ahhh lighter fluid has a much better smell to me than it so I would be more inclined to agree with you on that point  :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%