Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Favorite Matches!

Poncho65 · 354 · 19466

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Favorite Matches!
Reply #300 on: April 10, 2019, 03:06:00 PM
Thanks Poncho.  They might be best as a fire extender paired up with good matches or a lighter  :dunno:.  My mind went to fatwood more or less. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #301 on: April 11, 2019, 12:12:38 PM
If the wind hadn't been a factor they would have lit themselves :salute: at least I will try again when the wind isn't blowing and see for myself :cheers: They are relatively cheap at about $15 for a box of 48 :o So they are priced right :D Not advertised to do anything with outdoor survival or camping is
probably why the prices aren't bad ;)

Once lit though, it burned very well :tu: I really haven't bought many other type firestarters so I can't comment how they stack up against others :cheers: I usually use paper or cardboard to start fires around home but a few of these thrown into a pack with some other matches a striker or a lighter would weigh nothing :like: Worth the purchase to me for sure though :tu:

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #302 on: April 11, 2019, 01:16:41 PM
Lots of interesting items in here. :like:
Standard matches were always enough for me. I was going to pick up a nice orange container with those nice stormproof matches, but I talked myself out of it. I may reconsider.

Even a full matchbox was overkill, so I split it into two slender halves. Nice and thin, and still plenty of matches. :cheers:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #303 on: April 11, 2019, 03:23:57 PM
Great way to carry matches in a smaller package :tu: You really ought to try those Stormproof matches by UCO though (regular size or the Titans :like: ) :dd: The Zippo ones are good as well :cheers: It is a different experience than a regular match for sure :salute: :tu:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #304 on: April 11, 2019, 04:30:23 PM
Nice job, RP!  :like:

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #306 on: November 02, 2019, 06:07:56 PM
The weather is starting to cool here again :whistle: I have gotten a little money for my birthday and I bought some of the UCO waterproof matches :D no pics but I did try a couple and they work :D I also got one of the Zippo branded match safes and it even keeps the striker dry :like: I will have to get some pics but for not I thought I could light a match under this thread and get it going again ::) :rofl:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #307 on: November 28, 2020, 04:01:44 AM
Well, I didn't light to much of a fire under this thread last time :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :oops: :D

Have any new matches came out lately :think: I know it is a very small niche in the market but was hoping to find some new info on matches, match safes or anything match related :cheers:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #308 on: November 28, 2020, 09:58:48 PM
I picked up some of these in the grocery store the other day:

Not bad at all. Not as great as the "strike anywhere" matches of yore, but they work nicely if 'struck' carefully on a rough surface.

I rubbed a little paraffin wax on the wooden sticks of a few (being careful not to get any wax on the white tips) and found that they burned a bit longer & hotter. Sort of a Redneck Hurricane match. Not waterproof, but could be a good addition to a match safe.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #309 on: November 30, 2020, 01:36:23 AM
Good ole Diamond Strike Anywheres :cheers: I still have some of the red tipped Strike Anywhere ones that they use to sell along with the newer green tipped ones like you have pictured :salute: I like the idea of using wax to make them burn longer as well :tu: :like:

us Online nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #310 on: November 30, 2020, 02:41:57 AM
I rubbed a little paraffin wax on the wooden sticks of a few (being careful not to get any wax on the white tips) and found that they burned a bit longer & hotter. Sort of a Redneck Hurricane match. Not waterproof, but could be a good addition to a match safe.

I'm thinking if you coated the entire match, they would be waterproof, but then you would need to remove the wax from the white tip before they would light.  Always a trade-off...

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #311 on: February 12, 2021, 01:20:04 PM
Hum... favourite matches.

:think: :think:

I'd have to say New Zealand vs South Africa. Awlso, any rugby game with the all Blacks, South Africa or Australia.

:cheers: :tu:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #312 on: August 05, 2022, 01:56:04 PM
I've been using these a lot more lately- they aren't as cheap as some of the others, but as you don't use ten matches each time, they probably even out!

Def

* 16595433099092.jpg (Filesize: 213.84 KB)
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #313 on: August 05, 2022, 03:27:03 PM
Exactly Def!  I get so frustrated with matches that flame out a half second after you strike them. 
Barry

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #314 on: August 05, 2022, 05:34:45 PM
Exactly Def!  I get so frustrated with matches that flame out a half second after you strike them.

Don't get me started!

I live on the ocean- the air is always damp here and almost always windy.  Most matches don't stand a chance!   :ahhh

Unfortunately I am also pretty cheap at times and hate spending money on something that I am literally going to burn!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Online nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #315 on: August 06, 2022, 03:05:03 AM
Do you guys use matches regularly?

I have some of those stormproof matches in my fire kit, but they are really just a backup to my Bics.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #316 on: August 06, 2022, 04:06:16 AM
Yeah, I use matches quite frequently for lighting my BioLite camp stove at work.  Since it is usually windy (I'm only a few hundred yards from the ocean) it is easier to drop a lit match into the burn chamber than it is to try and ignite something in the open and drop it in.

Def

us Offline Sos24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #317 on: August 06, 2022, 04:06:33 AM
I went the opposite way.  I now use the long reach lighters for my Coleman stoves.   

This is what I do.  I have a Soto extendable which is awesome for lighting stoves, even twig ones and alcohol.

us Offline Sos24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #318 on: August 06, 2022, 04:08:21 AM
I haven’t used anything other than strike anywhere with a wax coated tip in a long time, but have been contemplating giving some stormproof ones a try.  The UCO do look interesting.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #319 on: August 06, 2022, 11:43:53 AM
I haven't tried it, but apparently they stay lit even when dunked in water.

Def

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #320 on: August 06, 2022, 04:10:30 PM
I can confirm they do stay lit when dunked in water.  We thought it was hype or some trick but when we tried  :o.  I light rain wouldn't bother those UCO matches IMO.  I'd be pretty confident in wet weather situations tho I am not sure how much wind they can withstand  :dunno:

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #321 on: August 06, 2022, 05:58:37 PM
I haven't tried it, but apparently they stay lit even when dunked in water.

Def

They are some of the best and I have tried it more than once to see if they would stay lit :ahhh :like:

The Zippo brand ones do just as well :cheers:

They also have the regular sized ones (the Zippo ones are more similar sized to the Titan ones) and the ones you have are a bigger more awesome version of the regular ones :o they burn longer and have all the same pluses of the regular sized ones :salute: the regular ones are cheaper though :tu:

Man do I love matches :dd: :D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #322 on: August 06, 2022, 06:49:26 PM
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing.  I will keep using the Titans.  When you are trying to get something to light, it's not a bad thing to have more fire.

Def

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #323 on: August 06, 2022, 09:57:46 PM
Totally  :D More fire is more better :D :like:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #324 on: August 08, 2022, 04:27:11 PM
 :iagree: 
Esse Quam Videri

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #325 on: August 08, 2022, 07:42:41 PM
I kinda figured you guys would agree with that!

I see Les Stroud and Dave Canterbury talking about having one match and having to live off it, and I'm pretty sure that would mean I was going to die.   :facepalm:

Def

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #326 on: August 08, 2022, 08:21:11 PM
 :iagree: me too :ahhh I sure wouldn't want to rely on just 1 match :dwts: :D

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #327 on: August 08, 2022, 10:00:15 PM
Yeah they can have their one match but I'll have several UCO and a ferro rod plus some magnesium and fat wood to boot all as back up to my lighter.  While I like to fool with fire I am not going to be relying on a match or a lighter.  I have my emergency fire kit stocked with UCO matches. 

Esse Quam Videri

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #328 on: August 09, 2022, 06:07:18 PM
Yeah I am thinking of picking up a bunch of them to stash in different places.  Short of lighting candles in the house, I cannot forsee a situation where that much fire would not be a welcome thing.

Def

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #329 on: August 10, 2022, 01:20:14 PM
I ended up getting a few things for work yesterday at Walmart and was passing the Outdoor section :whistle: I found some of the Zippo Typoon matches :facepalm: I bought the 25 without the waterproof case vs the 15 with the case :D they also have the regular UCO Stormproof ones but I have enough of those for now :D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%