Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Favorite Matches!

Poncho65 · 354 · 19226

us Offline thatotherguy

Re: Favorite Matches!
Reply #60 on: January 17, 2019, 04:00:23 AM
The look of the 41 is very nice and retro 8) if you have some time a nice pic of it would be great :cheers:

Yes, I would say butane has a weird odor type taste :ahhh lighter fluid has a much better smell to me than it so I would be more inclined to agree with you on that point  :tu:
It isn't much of a pic, but here it is with a Piranha P1 and Vic Pioneer, my EDC for the day the pic was taken.

Not used to posting pix, to be frank. I don't see most my gear as picworthy. It's usually simple, functional, well-used and beaten up gear, nothing special.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #61 on: January 17, 2019, 05:00:33 AM
Used gear is the best kind of gear and makes great pics :salute: :like: Thanks for the pic :tu: that Zippo is so nice :dd: love the shape of the oldies and the replicas of them :like:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #62 on: January 17, 2019, 06:25:58 AM
I dont recall what brand storm matches these are but they are pretty darn good.  I like to keep the "tinder quick" fire things just to be extra certain I'll have a fire when or if I need one.  The metal container is something I found and is perfectly water proof.  The plastic container is an asprin container.  I'm not so sure its completely water tight. 
IMG_6515.jpg
* IMG_6515.jpg (Filesize: 272.47 KB)
IMG_6516.jpg
* IMG_6516.jpg (Filesize: 212.17 KB)
IMG_6517.jpg
* IMG_6517.jpg (Filesize: 304.03 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #63 on: January 17, 2019, 12:02:28 PM
Those look like the UCO brand ones like those that I have :tu: They really are great matches aren't they :dd: I have been looking for a metal match safe like that one and think I may pull the trigger on one :D

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #64 on: January 17, 2019, 01:56:57 PM
I know some pipe users who say they won't use Zippos because of the lighter fluid flavor it gives the tobacco :think: what is your take on that :cheers: I personally don't think it would affect it but I have never smoked a pipe  :D

Also what Zippo or Zippos do you have :D I have a few myself just because I like fire ::) :D

Yeah ish but in the real world, leave it to burn a second and just use it. I've tried lighting a pipe with a UCO Stormproof match and boy was that nasty!
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #65 on: January 17, 2019, 02:36:28 PM
I know some pipe users who say they won't use Zippos because of the lighter fluid flavor it gives the tobacco :think: what is your take on that :cheers: I personally don't think it would affect it but I have never smoked a pipe  :D

Also what Zippo or Zippos do you have :D I have a few myself just because I like fire ::) :D

Yeah ish but in the real world, leave it to burn a second and just use it. I've tried lighting a pipe with a UCO Stormproof match and boy was that nasty!

The UCO's burn a bit different than a regular match, so I can imagine :ahhh :D

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #66 on: January 17, 2019, 02:43:31 PM

The UCO's burn a bit different than a regular match, so I can imagine :ahhh :D

It's the gases it releases. They are nasty and stick in the tobacco all the way through the pipe.
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

us Offline thatotherguy

Reply #67 on: January 17, 2019, 04:22:56 PM
If you have some cash to splash and want a fancy metal match safe, K&M makes a really nice one. I want one, but I use matches so rarely that it's not worth spending the money on it.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #68 on: January 17, 2019, 04:29:01 PM
If you have some cash to splash and want a fancy metal match safe, K&M makes a really nice one. I want one, but I use matches so rarely that it's not worth spending the money on it.

Fancy.  If you used toothpicks maybe it can serve a dull purpose.   :dunno:
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline thatotherguy

Reply #69 on: January 17, 2019, 04:29:47 PM

Fancy.  If you used toothpicks maybe it can serve a dull purpose.   :dunno:
I've got a titanium toothpick on my keys, so thats out too... maybe i need to downgrade so i have an excuse for the match safe.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #70 on: January 17, 2019, 04:40:17 PM
Maybe this will provide some more thoughts  :dunno:
Show content
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #71 on: January 17, 2019, 04:54:29 PM
That looks so very nice :dd: but after watching the video I am not as excited about getting one ::) he made several points that made this a no go for me as well :facepalm: but I have a toothpick holder on it's way to me and if I like it and it is big enough I may very well get another one for matches  :cheers: if not I may end up with the old metal Marbles type that all seem to have made in Hong Kong on them :D

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #72 on: January 17, 2019, 05:27:47 PM
A non screw cap would be a deal breaker for me.  The plastic one I showed is one I keep in a zip lock bag.  The metal one I dont.  I submerged it in water for a few hours and it remained dry inside.  I did add some epoxy to the screws at the top just to be certain.  I wouldn't trust the plastic one but the metal one I have no doubts on. 

A long enough toothpick holder can do the job.  If a little of the wooded stick needed to be trimmed I dont have a problem with that.  Its not like I'm going to be holding the match the whole time.  I also add the tinder that is a great help when you have marginal tinder.  The match and tinder go up like crazy. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline CallsignBadger

• No Life Club
  • Honey Badger Don't Care
Reply #73 on: January 17, 2019, 05:53:25 PM
For outdoor use, UCO is king

I’ll always try a cheap BIC first, but those stormproof matches are a miracle :tu:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #74 on: January 17, 2019, 06:13:22 PM
We lit the match and dunked in a glass of water, it lit right back up.  We were  :o when it did.  I thought it was hype but nope.  Lighter is always go to but these have a place IMO.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 06:16:26 PM by Aloha007 »
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline CallsignBadger

• No Life Club
  • Honey Badger Don't Care
Reply #75 on: January 17, 2019, 06:21:47 PM
The question is can you kill the flame?

ca Offline Greg Jones

• No Life Club
Reply #76 on: January 17, 2019, 06:56:21 PM
Nothing to add except I use the Redbird too, they're available around here everywhere basic camping supplies are sold, I keep them stored in this waterproof container, and although they claim strike anywhere its not always true, so I cut a strip of the striker off the box and keep it in the container, the container is either a Coleman or coughlans and is also available everywhere around here

20190117_133504-1.jpg
* 20190117_133504-1.jpg (Filesize: 116.21 KB)

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #77 on: January 17, 2019, 06:59:43 PM
I have that orange container too  :tu:.  Its tucked away in my camping gear currently in the shed.  Nice little match case. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #78 on: January 17, 2019, 08:51:13 PM

I like a few different types but my favorite two are probably the UCO Stormproof matches (just cause they are so cool  8) :D )  and the Strike Anywhere ones from Diamond :dd:

I really like the UCO's. I have some Diamond strike-anywhere matches stashed away, too. However, I don't think the newer Diamonds are as good as the old ones.

Lately, I've been carrying a book of paper matches.

These are out of a US MRE pack.

I used to be a wooden match fan, but I've come to appreciate some of the advantages of paper matches: I like that they are easy to pack and carry and they are less prone to breakage.

When my hands get cold, really cold, my fingers don't work as well. So, it may be easy to snap a wooden match. That's a non-issue with paper matches. I don't think paper matches burn quite as hot as wooden matches, but I've never had a problem getting a fire going with the paper variety either.

I don't think there is an advantage one way or another here, but it's easy to securely grab a paper match with forceps or pliers (multitool) to reach the match into a small space or recessed spot, if they seem a bit short.

Having said all that, it's hard to beat the fierce and sustained flame of a hurricane or stormproof match.  :tu:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #79 on: January 17, 2019, 09:51:14 PM
The question is can you kill the flame?

I haven't tried burying them but water sure doesn't kill it :ahhh perhaps baking soda or some type of chemical could :think:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #80 on: January 17, 2019, 09:52:03 PM
Great pic Greg :tu: I have a similar match case but it is dark green :cheers:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #81 on: January 17, 2019, 09:56:11 PM
Those paper matches are great, Nix :cheers: I use to play with them when I was younger ::) my Granny always had them handy as she was a smoker and she would let play with them :D her mother was also the first person to trust me enough to give me a lighter :o :D I think I have a pack or Two of them kicking around somewhere as well but it has been a while since I have seen them :ahhh need to look for them and see if they will still light :cheers:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #82 on: January 17, 2019, 10:10:35 PM
When I was kiddo, one could pick of free books of paper matches everywhere. I don't see them very often now, but Diamond does make some paper matches from recycled paper.   :tu:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #83 on: January 17, 2019, 11:14:29 PM
When I was kiddo, one could pick of free books of paper matches everywhere. I don't see them very often now, but Diamond does make some paper matches from recycled paper.   :tu:

We were just talking about that.  Everyone had matches with their company name on them.  We used to pick them up often. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #84 on: January 17, 2019, 11:26:42 PM
I remember getting many free when I was younger :cheers: as was said you could get them everywhere and they had all types of advertisements on them :like:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #85 on: January 17, 2019, 11:31:50 PM
Some of those ads were fun.

You could often pick up a pack or two at restaurants. Sometimes the hardware store.

I guess that was more common back when people used to smoke more......

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #86 on: January 17, 2019, 11:52:08 PM
Yes,and after they made it illegal to smoke inside of establishments guess it sorta died out :think:

us Offline thatotherguy

Reply #87 on: January 18, 2019, 12:36:13 AM
I've known of a couple of tobacconists that still offer free matches with a purchase. Been to one of them, stupidly said "oh ive got a lighter" instead of just taking the free firestarters.
It's usually the nicer places, not the discount cigarette and dip joints, that have matches available. Especially if they have a focus on pipes- there are a LOT of pipe smokers that absolutely refuse to light their tobacco with anything but an old fashioned wooden match or a cedar splint/spill. Some cigar smokers are the same way, but fewer than pipers.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #88 on: January 18, 2019, 01:24:31 AM
Ok, I am not a pipe smoker so what is a cedar splint/spill :think: I think I have an idea but not positive on that one :D

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #89 on: January 18, 2019, 01:29:58 AM
Ok, I am not a pipe smoker so what is a cedar splint/spill :think: I think I have an idea but not positive on that one :D

Sounds good!

I messed around with a pipe for a little while, always used a wooden match. Never tried a cedar splint....because I hadn't encountered the idea.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%