Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Favorite Matches!

Poncho65 · 354 · 19441

us Offline thatotherguy

Re: Favorite Matches!
Reply #90 on: January 18, 2019, 02:38:17 AM
A cedar splint is just a thin piece of Spanish cedar wood that you light with another source of flame in order to then light your tobacco. Think a longer matchstick made of cedar. A spill is basically the same thing, but instead of a long matchstick, it's like a narrow piece of cedar veneer about 5 inches long by around half an inch to an inch wide. The idea is that you light the tobacco with something that has zero chemicals, hydrocarbons, or really anything but wood, so it will produce a "purer" or "cleaner" flame that imparts no unpleasant flavors to your tobacco, just a slight and pleasant flavor of aromatic cedar. It's more common for cigar smokers than pipers- those who smoke a pipe are much more likely to use matches instead of cedar, even the "purists"- but some pipers do choose to use them. They aren't all that common with cigar smokers either, for that matter. Most use a butane torch for cigars.

I am not one of those that use cedar splints or spills- i don't see the point when I don't mind the flavor of a Zippo light.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 02:40:30 AM by thatotherguy »

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #91 on: January 18, 2019, 02:48:42 AM
I'm not sure what matches these are--probably Diamond strike anywhere--but this is my favorite match safe:

It's brass with a black coating, the top screws down tight with an o-ring seal. It holds 20 matches. It's effectively crush proof and weather proof. I've submerged it in a bowl of water overnight with no evidence of leaking. I don't use integral button compass, but it's nice to have it as a back-up. The lanyard is useful when using the compass and cinches down to prevent the loss of the cap. The underside of the cap is rough enough to use as a striker for 'strike anywhere' matches.

The major drawback to this safe is its weight. Solid brass doesn't come without a weight cost. Plastic match safes are lighter and probably just as strong, but there is something I find reassuring about this brass thing.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #92 on: January 18, 2019, 02:58:45 AM
Thanks for the explanation otherguy :salute: Sorta what I thought but best to make sure :cheers: :tu:

That is a beauty of a match safe there, Nix :dd: :like:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #93 on: January 18, 2019, 03:05:30 AM
 :cheers:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #94 on: January 18, 2019, 03:10:14 AM
With so much talk of matches I went and bought the big orange UCO match safe this evening :facepalm: :D also I had been thinking of matches prior to restating this thread and I had a few boxes of waterproof Coghlans delivered in my mailbox this evening as well ::) :D Also dug out the dark green plastic match safe I have had for years that I got at an Army surplus store and it is full of the green tipped strike anywhere Diamonds :tu: I have misplaced my big box of strike anywhere's kitchen matches though :ahhh I need to look in a couple other places and I am sure I will find them :salute:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #95 on: January 18, 2019, 03:11:29 AM
 :tu:

You are sounding well supplied!

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #96 on: January 18, 2019, 03:19:34 AM
I am for sure now :D I found the strike anywheres :cheers: They were out in the garage in my garden seeds cabinet :cheers: I also found an old box of Diamond red tipped Strike anywheres :like: Tomorrow evening I may have to stand out on the porch and light a few matches :rofl: I would light a fire but it has been raining here for 14 or 16 hours straight and everything is to wet >:( ;) Looking forward to Spring and setting a good fire :dd: :like:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #97 on: January 18, 2019, 04:45:12 AM
Rumaged around in my camping gear to find some old favorites:

Top to bottom:

Coghlan's Wind and Waterproof matches. These work very well, and I like the small box for packing in backpacking gear, typically in a ziplock bag.

Davis Instruments Hurricane Match. I forgot I had these not sure how they worked, but obviously I kept some. I'm not sure these are made any longer........

Diamond Strike Anywhere matches. Put these in for comparison.

REI Stormproof matches. These are really good. They look and act exactly like the UCO matches, and I bet they are made by UCO. I usually refill my UCO match safe with these.

It's snowing fairly heavily out at the moment. I went outside and fired off an REI Stormproof just for fun. Big flakes were falling and landing on the match, but to no real effect. The match just burnt like a road flare.  :tu:

us Offline CallsignBadger

• No Life Club
  • Honey Badger Don't Care
Reply #98 on: January 18, 2019, 04:50:44 AM
As far as match safes go, I just use those cheapo orange ones with the rubber o ring :tu:

For UCO matches, I trim the stick a little to fit them in

And I’ll cut out strikers from matchboxes to put in the containers.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #99 on: January 18, 2019, 05:04:16 AM
A few more match safes:

Top row, left to right:

This small stainless steel match safe is interesting in that the cap unscrews, but is attached at the bottom so it can't be lost. I find it a bit awkward to use. I stuff a bit of cotton in the lid to keep the matches from shaking around. There is a rubber gasket in the lid, but I'm never sure this match safe is really waterproof. Still, it works and the knurled surface is great for striking 'strike anywhere' matches.

This brass safe is similar to the one I posted above. It does not screw down, but depends on a set of double o-rings to keep the lid on and water out. The lanyard also keeps the top locked down if it's cinched up. Unfortunately the compass in the top is 180º out of true. I don't know how this happened. Because of the messed up compass, this match safe is just a relic.

The bright green match safe is the same idea, but made of aluminum. Lighter than the brass versions which is excellent. This one has a Suunto compass in the top, but it has developed a medium sized bubble. The compass still points North reliably, but the bubble makes me doubt it's accuracy a bit. Still, a nice match safe.

Bottom row:

Orange UCO match safe. Big safe, but you get quite a few stormproof matches. The lid on this one is cracked, though.... (see below for details).

Orange plastic match safe. Simple and reliable. An o-ring keeps it waterproof. Hard to beat this light weight safe.

OD plastic (Army surplus?). Same as the orange one next to it. This has the advantage of have a tethered lid. I carried this one in a small emergency kit during hunting season.

UCO safe fail:

The UCO safe has developed a nasty crack. I'm not sure how. Possibly some idiot over-torqued the lid, but since I'm the only one who has used this match safe, that doesn't seem likely.   :facepalm:

The safe still hold matches and a spare striker pad.....but it is no longer waterproof.  So, for you guys who like UCO matches, be careful with the match safe. Or use REI matches in a box and just keep the box in a plastic bag.  You have been warned.     :police:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #100 on: January 18, 2019, 07:21:49 AM
What a great group of safes Nix.  Thanks for the warning about over tightening the orange safes cap.  I've been known to over torque things  :whistle:
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #101 on: January 18, 2019, 12:06:45 PM
Great pics, Nix :like: The matches are nice and love the boxes that they are in :tu: the match safes are great as well :dd: the dark green one I have is similar to the orange one beside the UCO one :salute: Also I will need to go home and loosen my UCO one :ahhh I overtighten a few things as well ::) :facepalm:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #102 on: January 18, 2019, 12:07:26 PM
As far as match safes go, I just use those cheapo orange ones with the rubber o ring :tu:

For UCO matches, I trim the stick a little to fit them in

And I’ll cut out strikers from matchboxes to put in the containers.

I have trimmed matches and cut strikers off as well :cheers: it is a great tip too :like:

ca Offline Greg Jones

• No Life Club
Reply #103 on: January 18, 2019, 01:49:15 PM
Such an interesting thread, for such a basic item

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #104 on: January 18, 2019, 02:16:54 PM
Such an interesting thread, for such a basic item

Better than I had hoped for when I first started it :tu:

Still no one seems to have used the Zippo Typoon Matches :dunno: I guess I will have to be the brave soul to buy them and try them maybe  :salute: :D

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #105 on: January 18, 2019, 03:47:58 PM
For those that haven't seen the Zippo matches :cheers:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #106 on: January 18, 2019, 03:49:38 PM
They are longer than the UCO storm proof matches as well :cheers: I have seen these in person (they are like small torches) and almost bought them then  :salute: wished I had now :facepalm: :D

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #107 on: January 18, 2019, 04:06:08 PM
I can't imagine those Zippo matches being much different?  They certainly look cool and the water proof case is nice addition.  I'm off to look at a head to head comparison of those and UCO.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #108 on: January 18, 2019, 04:10:51 PM
Not sure theres a HUGE difference.
https://youtu.be/nEdy92dE9Uw
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #109 on: January 18, 2019, 04:22:40 PM
Thanks for ther video,  Aloha :salute: I may have just been amazed that Zippo had matches like that and was enamored to much to notice that the size difference wasn't as much as I thought  :whistle: :D

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #110 on: January 18, 2019, 04:24:29 PM
Seems like a good size safe though.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #111 on: January 18, 2019, 04:52:42 PM
AS TESTED the UCOs seemed to be a bit "better". 

The Zippo case is nice.  Easy work around for the exterior striker on the UCO case.  What I think I am seeing is the Zippo match has a longer area of material to burn while the UCO has thicker material.   :dunno:.  I think either will do well for what they are.  A little shake of the match when submerged introduces some oxygen and the match relights.   Instead of submerge, remove,  and wait for the match to relight.  Simple adjustment on using and the Zippos appear to be a nice match.

I do like the Zippo match safe.   

https://youtu.be/81WoSMsZPzs
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #112 on: January 18, 2019, 08:31:47 PM
Really great video, Aloha :tu: That one was a good head to head of the two :like: I have several of the UCO and may take a bit more time looking for a good deal on some Zippo ones now :cheers: I will still get them because I really do like the match safe but now I am thinking I already have the better matches with me :D

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #113 on: January 18, 2019, 08:40:51 PM
Really great video, Aloha :tu: That one was a good head to head of the two :like: I have several of the UCO and may take a bit more time looking for a good deal on some Zippo ones now :cheers: I will still get them because I really do like the match safe but now I am thinking I already have the better matches with me :D

:iagree:
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #114 on: January 19, 2019, 12:23:25 AM
Decided to take a few pics myself :cheers: First the matches and the respective boxes :tu:

From top to bottom, the first is Coghlan Waterproof safety matches, next small red tipped Diamond Strike Anywhere matches, next to that is the UCO Stormproof matches, then the green tipped kitchen sized Diamond Strike Anywhere matches and lastly the red tipped kitchen sized Diamond Strike Anywhere matches :cheers:

Then here is just the matches side by side UCO Stromproof on top followed by the green and red tipped Diamond Strike Anywhere kitchen matches, then theCoghlan Waterproof matches and at the bottom the Diamond red tipped Strike Anywhere matches :tu:

Then finally a pic of the 2 match safes that I have :cheers: The orange one is a UCO one with Stormproof matches and strikers inside , plus a bit of cotton :tu: the green one is one I picked up many years ago and it has the green tipped kitchen Diamond Strike anywheres :cheers:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #115 on: January 19, 2019, 01:07:51 AM
Great post, Poncho.   :like:

I've been thinking since you started this thread. The humble match we now take for granted must have transformed fire making when it was developed in the 1800's.  Before that most methods were tedious and somewhat unreliable. Then along came the match.

While matches must have seemed nearly magical, it's interesting to note that in the 1908 version of Jack London's "To Build a Fire", the main character perishes despite having matches. He fails to take advantage of this precious resource, squandering his pack of matches in a last desperate...and failed...attempt to get his fire going.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #116 on: January 19, 2019, 02:05:37 AM
Matches were a game changer for sure :salute: that is a bit grimmer for the main character in that story :o but that is the reality of bad preparation or just plain old bad luck :-\ this thread has went in a good direction though and I am glad I revived it :cheers:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #117 on: January 19, 2019, 05:57:13 PM
AS TESTED the UCOs seemed to be a bit "better". 

The Zippo case is nice.  Easy work around for the exterior striker on the UCO case.  What I think I am seeing is the Zippo match has a longer area of material to burn while the UCO has thicker material.   :dunno:.  I think either will do well for what they are.  A little shake of the match when submerged introduces some oxygen and the match relights.   Instead of submerge, remove,  and wait for the match to relight.  Simple adjustment on using and the Zippos appear to be a nice match.

I do like the Zippo match safe.   

https://youtu.be/81WoSMsZPzs

I think I just figured out that the head to head on these matches is the GIANT UCO stromproof matches vs. the Zippo Typhoon matches :ahhh That us a big differences to me because I have the regular sized stormproof ones and now I think I need to get both the giant UCO ones and the Zippo ones :D

us Offline thatotherguy

Reply #118 on: January 19, 2019, 06:01:17 PM
Well y'all have me thinking I need to use matches more often and upgrade from my cheapy Army surplus green plastic safe I keep in my bag. Does anyone currently participating in this thread happen to have an Exotac Matchcap? If yes, any thoughts on it? If no, I suppose I'll just have to pick one up so I can be a guinea pig for the forum friends... :twak:

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #119 on: January 19, 2019, 06:02:14 PM
That's a good point Poncho, there are two sized of UCO matches. What I do wish with the UCO is that the wood handle would catch fire once the 'head' has burnt down like a regular match does.
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%