Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Coloring SAK Scales

us Offline Noa Isumi

• No Life Club
Re: Coloring SAK Scales
Reply #30 on: February 18, 2017, 07:59:20 PM
I got side tracked and forgot to check the scales till last night. They have finished cleaning up and are completely clear as of some time in the last couple days. I will post a pic later tonight.
So that was about a month in vinegar and salt at a relatively cool temp with weekly solution change.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 08:02:17 PM by Noa Isumi »
I used to be a lot of things, and someday will again.
But for now I'm just a lost jack of trades with neither mastery nor home. ~NoaIsumi

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #31 on: February 18, 2017, 08:56:56 PM
I got side tracked and forgot to check the scales till last night. They have finished cleaning up and are completely clear as of some time in the last couple days. I will post a pic later tonight.
So that was about a month in vinegar and salt at a relatively cool temp with weekly solution change.
Awesome... neither lemon juice nor coke produced any result worth reporting.

Now we need phase 2... putting color back on :P
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline Noa Isumi

• No Life Club
Reply #32 on: February 18, 2017, 09:20:22 PM
My plan is to mask off the face of the scales and hydro-dip the backs with swirled enamel
I used to be a lot of things, and someday will again.
But for now I'm just a lost jack of trades with neither mastery nor home. ~NoaIsumi

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #33 on: February 18, 2017, 09:40:30 PM
My plan is to mask off the face of the scales and hydro-dip the backs with swirled enamel

Oh, that sounds interesting.  Looking forward to seeing how that comes out. :tu:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #34 on: February 20, 2017, 03:33:27 AM
Indeed, this does sound very cool for sure!

I can't wait to see the newly clear scales, and the swirled paint!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

fr Offline m47mu74nt

• No Life Club
Reply #35 on: April 21, 2017, 10:09:17 PM
 :pok:

Any update on this awesome project? or did I missed something somewhere?
Meet me also on youtube & instagram for mostly knives (and multitools) content

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #36 on: April 23, 2017, 07:01:42 PM

Not on my part... I have been rather busy, but hopefully Noa Isumi will share his results soon.

mx Offline WDY

• kickin in the Baja
Reply #37 on: April 28, 2017, 06:23:07 AM

Not on my part... I have been rather busy, but hopefully Noa Isumi will share his results soon.
Hi guys. I'm a newbee here and guess I missed something on the coloring of scales.  I LIKE the red toothpick, though.  How was that done?    Question 2 (maybe good for a different thread?)  Has anybody MADE scales out of "stabilized" wood? Does it act more like plastic than wood?  BTW, I love this forum.
-Yager

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #38 on: April 29, 2017, 12:41:58 AM

Hi guys. I'm a newbee here and guess I missed something on the coloring of scales.  I LIKE the red toothpick, though.  How was that done?    Question 2 (maybe good for a different thread?)  Has anybody MADE scales out of "stabilized" wood? Does it act more like plastic than wood?  BTW, I love this forum.

I have two pieces of stabilised birch burl that I am planning on using on a quick project. I plan on gluing them on today/tomorrow but I won't be able to shape them until some time next week when I will return with my findings.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #39 on: May 01, 2017, 08:48:49 PM

Regular plastic coloring protocol. Toothpick seems to be the only part that really takes color easily.

us Offline MusicMen

• No Life Club
  • 21 Badges for Eagle
Reply #40 on: May 02, 2017, 03:39:28 AM
Regular plastic coloring protocol. Toothpick seems to be the only part that really takes color easily.

What is the protocol?  ???    Is there a link?  :think:
BUCK: X-Tract, 360
GERBER: Clutch, Shortcut, Dime*, DimE*, Octane & Crucial FAST
MP600 NN, CentreDrive, Grappler
Diesel*, Nickle*, Bullrush, MP600 BN, Flik & MP600DET* all in BO
LEATHERMAN: Skeletool, Style PS, CS, ES* & Style*, Juice S2(X2), SC2, C2, Pro, XE6
Crunch, MTO Style CS, Sideclip, BO Kick*
SOG: PowerAccess, Blacktip*, HD PPP
VICTORINOX: SwissTool Std, X(CS), & RS all with red logo, Spirit XBS
*=mod

Offline Psych

Reply #41 on: May 02, 2017, 04:19:02 AM
[/quote]

That's untrue. I have successfully dyed the mini screwdriver, mag glass frame, and tweezers. My usual EDC has 2/3 of these parts dyed (tweezer nub made of metal) Cellidor is a different beast though because it doesn't take heat well and is not like other plastics. I haven't tried with scales yet, but I've had great success with using oil dyes on the other plastic parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Psych

Coloring SAK Scales
Reply #42 on: May 02, 2017, 04:19:12 AM
[/quote]

That's untrue. I have successfully dyed the mini screwdriver, mag glass frame, and tweezers. My usual EDC has 2/3 of these parts dyed (tweezer nub made of metal). Cellidor is a different beast  because it doesn't take heat well and is not like other plastics.

I haven't tried with scales yet, but I've had great success with using oil dyes on the other plastic parts.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 06:13:11 AM by Psych »

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #43 on: May 02, 2017, 11:23:06 AM
Quote from: Psych
Quote from: Etherealicer

That's untrue. I have successfully dyed the mini screwdriver, mag glass frame, and tweezers. My usual EDC has 2/3 of these parts dyed (tweezer nub made of metal) Cellidor is a different beast though because it doesn't take heat well and is not like other plastics. I haven't tried with scales yet, but I've had great success with using oil dyes on the other plastic parts.

In my case the tweezers did not take the color... didn't think of the other parts, thanks for that info.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #44 on: May 02, 2017, 11:37:59 AM

Well, I used the protocol for coloring synthetic fibers (polyesters) that came with the dye. Unfortunately, I doubt that you can get the same dye.

The dying is performed ad modest to high temperature (about 40°C - 90°C) and might require the addition of salt and/or vinegar.
But all that should be written on the dye you buy.

I think the most commonly used brand is Rit Dye and you should get it at Wallmart
Simple protocol here

us Offline MusicMen

• No Life Club
  • 21 Badges for Eagle
Reply #45 on: May 03, 2017, 12:10:20 AM

Well, I used the protocol for coloring synthetic fibers (polyesters) that came with the dye. Unfortunately, I doubt that you can get the same dye.

The dying is performed ad modest to high temperature (about 40°C - 90°C) and might require the addition of salt and/or vinegar.
But all that should be written on the dye you buy.

I think the most commonly used brand is Rit Dye and you should get it at Wallmart
Simple protocol here

Thanks for the info and the link.   :cheers:
BUCK: X-Tract, 360
GERBER: Clutch, Shortcut, Dime*, DimE*, Octane & Crucial FAST
MP600 NN, CentreDrive, Grappler
Diesel*, Nickle*, Bullrush, MP600 BN, Flik & MP600DET* all in BO
LEATHERMAN: Skeletool, Style PS, CS, ES* & Style*, Juice S2(X2), SC2, C2, Pro, XE6
Crunch, MTO Style CS, Sideclip, BO Kick*
SOG: PowerAccess, Blacktip*, HD PPP
VICTORINOX: SwissTool Std, X(CS), & RS all with red logo, Spirit XBS
*=mod

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68