Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Huge Discontinuation

Jmoita · 60 · 5413

us Offline Bunk Tuppins

Re: Huge Discontinuation
Reply #30 on: January 21, 2023, 08:17:38 PM
In the climbers case, and any model with a hook I think a nail file on the hook would make it better rather than losing the small blade. It does look like they are going to introduce a 91mm file for the small blade spot, which would be a welcome addition to models with a small blade and no hook. Although the more I carry my sportsman, the more I realize I hardly ever use the file.  :think:
Previously the file tool was sort of segregated by product line: many of the 85mm models had the file instead of the small blade while the 91mm models had the small blade. Now that they are deleting the 85's they will probably add new 91mm models with file and retain the old ones with small blade. I like the idea of offering a choice of file or blade, similar to corkscrew and phillips.    As for the file on the hook, thumbs down from me.  The file on a Compact will work somewhat in a pinch but it's not a very good file.

ch Offline Sneider

• No Life Club
Reply #31 on: January 22, 2023, 12:04:41 AM
What a sad prognosis!
If your favorite model is also mentioned, consider taking something in reserve.
Personally, I'm sorry about the Signature, Manager, Tinker small and the Excelsior.
Let's hope that Victorinox will also bring new models.
If you want to be happy, be.
(Leo Tolstoy)

us Offline Swisster

• Ambassador of SAK's
Reply #32 on: January 22, 2023, 02:27:36 AM
if there is a model called Companion coming it won't give the Compact any run for it's money. A 93 mm Alox Voyageur is more warranted and people are mostly very domestic and prefer to carry thinner knives with practical applications.

us Offline marlowe221

Reply #33 on: January 22, 2023, 02:38:36 AM
The only image I’ve seen that claimed to be a mockup of the Companion was just a 3 layer knife and no thicker than a Climber. We’re not talking about something the size of a Handyman here…

00 Offline Grand_Banana

• No Life Club
Reply #34 on: January 22, 2023, 03:53:49 AM
If anyone wants/needs a deal right now on the Midnite MC, US Amazon has it for $50.  I grabbed a backup. Im hoping we’ll see come close out prices on some of these models at the sportsman’s and DLT type shops.

nl Offline EMZ

Reply #35 on: January 22, 2023, 03:33:40 PM
In the Netherlands a new arms law is being drafted. Most likely it will be implemented this or next year. One of the provision will be that every object that can be used for stabbing or cutting will be forbidden to carry on public road or in public spaces, when the object does not have a socially accepted purpose at the time of carrying, and is not packed in such a way that it can be used inmediately.

So eating with knife and fork on a restaurant terrace will be allowed, however when you take the knife and fork with you in your breast pocket to the shopping area it will be an offence of the law. NO kidding! This text comes from the official clarification of this law.
Every sharp or pointed object can and will be forbidden to carry on the streets! (When not packed properly.) Yes, even knitting needles and sharp pencils.

I think Victorinox realises 'anti-weapon' laws are becoming more restrictive everywhere on the planet, so they have you streamline the inventories.

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #36 on: January 22, 2023, 04:07:28 PM
In the Netherlands a new arms law is being drafted. Most likely it will be implemented this or next year. One of the provision will be that every object that can be used for stabbing or cutting will be forbidden to carry on public road or in public spaces, when the object does not have a socially accepted purpose at the time of carrying, and is not packed in such a way that it can be used inmediately.

So eating with knife and fork on a restaurant terrace will be allowed, however when you take the knife and fork with you in your breast pocket to the shopping area it will be an offence of the law. NO kidding! This text comes from the official clarification of this law.
Every sharp or pointed object can and will be forbidden to carry on the streets! (When not packed properly.) Yes, even knitting needles and sharp pencils.

I think Victorinox realises 'anti-weapon' laws are becoming more restrictive everywhere on the planet, so they have you streamline the inventories.

Good God! I do hope, for your sake, that's not true... :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh

That would make the UK seem positively liberal in its approach  :shrug:
They don't like it up 'em!

cz Offline z1913

Reply #37 on: January 22, 2023, 04:47:17 PM
The end of 85mm sounds to me like the final stage of protracted Wenger bankruptcy. At the end it might be a good thing - remove what is not working anymore, focus on new stuff.

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #38 on: January 22, 2023, 11:50:13 PM

Wow.  So no screwdrivers, and y’all are going to have to write with crayons because pens and pencils will be outlawed?

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #39 on: January 23, 2023, 06:47:20 AM
... And make sure you don't have a pair of nail scissors in your handbag
... Or a compass, pair of dividers and a protractor and ruler in your school bag

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #40 on: January 23, 2023, 07:11:24 PM
Better start bitting your nails, too...

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

de Offline ulzhan

• No Life Club
  • The Spirit of Central Asia
Reply #41 on: January 25, 2023, 11:09:38 AM
What a bummer.

They already delisted the XLT fromm victorinox.com

:rant: :rant:

no Offline aicolainen

Reply #42 on: January 25, 2023, 02:21:22 PM

This sounds very similar to what we've had in Norway since the 90's. While I don't like it, I also don't put too much into it.
The term "socially accepted purpose at the time of carrying" is worded a bit different here, more like "can't be carried in public areas without good reason". It's all a bit wishy washy. It's worded in old language that isn't in common use, as if it's willfully made hard to interpret and good cause is not clarified beside a couple of totally useless examples (fishing, hunting, etc.).
I find the whole ordeal insulting. Laws are supposed to clarify how well intentioned people are expected to behave so we can have functioning society where we can spend our time being productive and enjoying life and not spend energy and worry too much about how we interface with other people. By being so opaque this law does nothing of that, and is quite obviously written as a tool to make law enforcement more efficient.
I just can't take it seriously, so while I know there are court cases where people are sentenced for simply carrying in public, my take is to comply with the intention of the law. Meaning I interpret "good" as "not bad" and avoid carrying anything sharp for purely social activities like going out for beers, music concerts etc. If they want to go after me for that, I'm up for the fight.
I should add, enforcement of these laws are (for the time being) very relaxed unless you find yourself in an area ridden with knife crime. So pretty much 99.5% of the country is relaxed. As you get into more rural areas you can often see people open carry their knife in front of the police without any reaction. So unless you're doing something silly,the chance of a confrontation is very slim. Almost non existent.

On topic:
On the surface this news/rumor doesn't seem like good news.
Personally I don't own any of the models that are expected to disappear. That's not to say I wouldn't like them or that they're not for me, I might just not have realized yet.
So there's some fear I'll wake up one day and realize, after the fact, that one of these are exactly what I would need. Such is life, I guess.
On the other hand, this could be a positive sign, and that they are making room for some new models. I've been hoping/wishing for some new tool combinations, so maybe this is the first sign of that. One can hope.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #43 on: January 25, 2023, 06:12:20 PM
Forget the stock market. Buy Victorinox models and wait for a few years.

:D :D :D :D

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

de Offline ulzhan

• No Life Club
  • The Spirit of Central Asia
Reply #44 on: January 25, 2023, 10:15:47 PM
Forget the stock market. Buy Victorinox models and wait for a few years.

:D :D :D :D

Did I mention that I have 4 (four!) Swisschamp XLT in stock? When I reach retirement age I'm gonna sell them and make a fortune!

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #45 on: January 27, 2023, 01:08:16 PM
The Manager, Tinker Small, Tourist, Walker, no more "Camping" scales, the Hiker Wood, Cybertool S, the entire 85mm Delemont line...

Wow.... a guy spends a few months away, and gets this massive bomb dropped on when he gets back...  :(

I have to say the only models i will be really pissed to see them go is the Tinker Small and the Tourist.

As much as I like the 84mm line, it does kind of make sense that the Tinker Small and Tourist might get the axe since they are only 7mm different than the much better selling Tinker and Spartan.

I really completely disagree with them on that one. It would made way more sense to me to discontinue the Spartan and Tinker than the 84mm counterparts.
In these times, when it comes to knives, smaller is better. The same is true for EDC pocket carry, especially Urban/Suburban, 91mm is just too bloody big with no justification for it.
Why would i want a 91mm SAK when i can have a similar smaller 84mm version of it? If they give people no other option that to buy those models in 84mm, people will buy them.
They seam obsessed with the bloody 91mm line, when they should be cutting down some models from it, while adding more options to the 84mm line.

That's just MY opinion anyhow...
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

cz Offline z1913

Reply #46 on: January 27, 2023, 01:54:01 PM
It would made way more sense to me to discontinue the Spartan and Tinker than the 84mm counterparts.
In these times, when it comes to knives, smaller is better. The same is true for EDC pocket carry, especially Urban/Suburban, 91mm is just too bloody big with no justification for it.
Why would i want a 91mm SAK when i can have a similar smaller 84mm version of it?

Very much agree!

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #47 on: January 27, 2023, 02:05:31 PM
Good point on the size - From a legal carry perspective
- Although the legal carry length in the UK (for example) does seem to be set at the 91mm blade length.

Also, even though it is only another 7mm - It is surprising how much more pocketable the 84s are compared to the 91s

us Offline Enginears

Reply #48 on: January 27, 2023, 02:28:47 PM
  I am trying to stave off a flurry of 84/85mm purchases but this thread is not helping.  I agree with MacGyver as well. 91 is better to use for me, but 84 is so much more comfortable in the pocket. I think a lot of people only ever see the 91mm size so they don’t realize what the 84s have to offer.

I keep thinking what if I need some 84mm woodsaws later? or more Wenger style scissors?  :facepalm:

us Offline hsherzfeld

Reply #49 on: January 27, 2023, 03:51:14 PM
Personally, I would prefer that Victorinox stick with the 91mm line as their main line. I don’t find my 91mm SAKs to be less pocketable than my 84mm SAKs. Also, remember that a longer blade can be shortened fairly easily to comply with local laws restricting blade length.

That being said, I don’t want to see so many models discontinued.
Current SAKs: Explorer, SwissChamp, Handyman (modded), Climber, Super Tinker, Tinker, Woodsman (modded), Electrician, Pioneer, SwissTool, Executive, Ambassador, Champion Plus
Current Leatherman tools: PST, Original Wave, Wave, Wave+, Blast, Bond, Curl, Style PS, Micra

Boomer Sooner!

us Offline marlowe221

Reply #50 on: January 27, 2023, 04:12:15 PM
I really completely disagree with them on that one. It would made way more sense to me to discontinue the Spartan and Tinker than the 84mm counterparts.
Why would i want a 91mm SAK when i can have a similar smaller 84mm version of it? If they give people no other option that to buy those models in 84mm, people will buy them.
They seam obsessed with the bloody 91mm line, when they should be cutting down some models from it, while adding more options to the 84mm line.

That's just MY opinion anyhow...

Personally, I agree with you. I prefer 84mm for the 2-layer models and would rather they keep the Tourist/Tinker Small and stop making the 91mm models (shoot, rename the 84mm if it helps the general public...).

But for whatever reason, the 91mm line seems to sell better/more from what I can tell - the Hunstman, Spartan, Tinker, and Climber are often listed as the bestselling models after the Classic SD, though I won't claim to have seen any sales numbers to back that up. So when I said that I could understand that decision, I was trying to put my self in Victorinox's shoes to a degree.

If it's true that the 91mm models are the better sellers, I can see Victorinox moving to trim down the product line in favor of the 91mm SAKs, no matter how much I personally wish they were doing the opposite.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #51 on: January 27, 2023, 04:22:14 PM
91mm line seems to have always been their focus.  I too prefer 84mm and Wengers 85mm. 

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the Manager not making the cut. 

The end of 85mm sounds to me like the final stage of protracted Wenger bankruptcy. At the end it might be a good thing - remove what is not working anymore, focus on new stuff.

Its also interesting 85mm is likely a goner.  Is there anything left of the buyout?  Wondering what the purpose was? 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #52 on: January 27, 2023, 09:58:55 PM
Its also interesting 85mm is likely a goner.  Is there anything left of the buyout?  Wondering what the purpose was?

I think with the buyout, Vic was hoping to:

- Keep the old Wenger factory going, albeit with a reduced lineup, Vic branding, and with some Vic components.  However, I suspect they weren’t able to make this profitable, and this economic reality is catching up.

- Prevent Wenger’s IP from being sold off to the highest bidder, and subsequently “Wenger” knives being cheaply manufactured in China, which would have probably had a negative impact on the reputation of SAKs in general.  In this, at least, Vic was successful.

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #53 on: January 27, 2023, 10:28:43 PM
@Aloha - It sounds like the 130mm line will be staying - And rightly so - Awesome models

Really did not make much sense to have the 85 and 84mm lines - But why not (shock horror) discontinue the 84mm models and keep (maybe with some revision) the 95mm family.

EDIT: PS I meant the 85mm family
« Last Edit: February 24, 2023, 04:30:00 PM by Huntsman »

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #54 on: January 29, 2023, 05:16:43 PM
Good point on the size - From a legal carry perspective
- Although the legal carry length in the UK (for example) does seem to be set at the 91mm blade length.

Also, even though it is only another 7mm - It is surprising how much more pocketable the 84s are compared to the 91s

UK "legal" carry is 7.62cm so the 93mm is do-able without needing a reasonable excuse etc  ::)

That said, I love my Cadet (Alox) and my ideal EDC would be a Cadet X (or FX  :ahhh)   :dd: But I am poor  :(

They don't like it up 'em!

Offline zissu

• New User
Reply #55 on: February 24, 2023, 08:37:30 AM
Money Clip is no longer available through the Webshop in the EU (maybe worldwide,too).

2 weeks before there was a waiting list.

Offline renegade

Reply #56 on: April 05, 2023, 01:52:55 AM
I’m surprised of some of the models they chose to discontinue.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #57 on: April 05, 2023, 07:37:23 AM
regarding the money clip, just on the European amazon sites:  https://www.hagglezon.com/en/s/victorinox%20money%20clip
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #58 on: April 05, 2023, 08:36:40 AM
Please does anyone have the full (confirmed, indisputable) list of discontinued models?    ???

I am sure I saw it somewhere - It might have been on Facebook   :o
Thinking of what updates we need to make to the Wiki !!

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #59 on: April 05, 2023, 01:27:29 PM
Haven’t been around for a while
Typical, I log in a see Victorinox  may be  pulling the 85mm models.
As someone who specifically collected the original Wenger 85’s and 130’s
I own none of the Vic clones. Just checked prices on Amazon….EEK !! cheap they ain’t !!

Not sure whether to dive in and begin again (groans) or just let them slip quietly away knowing I have the originals already  :D

Decisions Decisions  :facepalm:
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%