Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Thoughts on the SAK rescue tool

CQC-7 · 39 · 7799

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Thoughts on the SAK rescue tool
on: February 07, 2007, 01:22:05 AM
I was looking around the other day at the new Victorinox rescue tool.  Looks pretty neat to me .  I am so impressed that I am considering buying it.  The sheath looks stright out of a happy meal though.  So, my question tonight is what are some of yall's thoughts on the Vic rescue tool.  I like it but I'd like to here some other views on it.  Like it or hate it let me know.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Thoughts on the SAK rescue tool
Reply #1 on: February 07, 2007, 02:09:57 AM
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: February 07, 2007, 03:19:25 AM
I don't have a Rescue Tool (yet) but I've been thinking strongly about getting one. There have been a few on eBay for about $120, then last week this cat guy started listing them for $64.50

Link:  http://cgi.ebay.com/VICTORINOX-EMERGENCY-RESCUE-TOOL-SWISS-ARMY-KNIFE_W0QQitemZ110088476949QQihZ001QQcategoryZ48821QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I hope he has some more at that price. I haven't asked.

BTW, I believe SwissBianco has them for around that price also.

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: February 07, 2007, 06:58:39 AM
Knifecenter.com has them listed as $59.95. They also have SwissChamps with Rosewood, Staghorn, and Mother of Pearl scales.
"

us Offline felinevet

• Banner Member
  • No Life Club
Reply #4 on: February 07, 2007, 07:40:22 PM
Heehee, yep I'm the Cat Guy that has them. Forget eBay if you buy through my FELINEVET Shop at SOSAKONLINE. I have them for $61.50 shipped. Note: I am currently out of stock but they are on the way to me from Vic.

T

us Offline felinevet

• Banner Member
  • No Life Club
Reply #5 on: February 07, 2007, 07:47:23 PM
Knifecenter.com has them listed as $59.95. They also have SwissChamps with Rosewood, Staghorn, and Mother of Pearl scales.

Shipping from Knifecenter is $6.95 minimum for total of at least $66.90. The FELINEVET Shop also has all the new premium collectible Swiss Champs.
T

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: February 08, 2007, 04:07:46 AM
I'm feeling too lazy right now to go looking for myself; can somebody post a picture of these fancy new Swiss Champs?
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: February 08, 2007, 04:15:06 AM
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: February 08, 2007, 04:38:18 AM
I hope you aren't too lazy to click this link! :P

http://felinevet.sosakonline.com/index.php?keyword=Champ&Search=Search&Itemid=1&option=com_phpshop&page=shop.browse

Def

Whew! It took everything I could muster, but I barely managed to do it.  ;)

Cool scales! Very pretty. 

(Uh, remind me again what blades a Swiss Champ has...?)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: February 08, 2007, 04:47:37 AM
Short list?  All of them! :P

Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: February 08, 2007, 04:52:16 AM
SwissChamp, copied from the 2003 Victorinox Catalogue.

Def
Champ.JPG
* Champ.JPG (Filesize: 52.13 KB)
Champ_list.JPG
* Champ_list.JPG (Filesize: 59.12 KB)

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #11 on: February 08, 2007, 05:20:35 AM
Felinevet, 

My wife likes cats so I think I can muster $61.50 when you get them in.  Just let me know.  I'll just say it is going to help cats.  Good possible excuse! :) 

On the topic of the actual tool itself.  I am not crazy about serrated blades but I think that the tool is cool enough to order one just cause I can >:D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: February 08, 2007, 12:21:56 PM
If you are so inclined, the serrations come off quite easily:

http://www.sosakonline.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=31&Itemid=35

Def

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #13 on: February 09, 2007, 02:49:19 AM
Felinevet, 

My wife likes cats so I think I can muster $61.50 when you get them in.  Just let me know.  I'll just say it is going to help cats.  Good possible excuse! :) 

I like that logic! Put me down for one too.

~Bob

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #14 on: February 09, 2007, 02:51:06 AM
BTW, has Victorinox made the removable components available for sale seperately?

rescue tool.jpg
* rescue tool.jpg (Filesize: 69.07 KB)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: February 09, 2007, 02:55:01 AM
Not yet, but there is at least one design being considered that I know of.

Def

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #16 on: February 09, 2007, 04:53:45 AM
I would probaly order the replacments (at least one set) when they are available.  However, If I start needing to replace them from cutting or breaking glass so much that they wear out often I need to move to a more peaceful neighborhood or change my hobbies.   

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #17 on: February 09, 2007, 04:58:43 AM
I would probaly order the replacments (at least one set) when they are available.  However, If I start needing to replace them from cutting or breaking glass so much that they wear out often I need to move to a more peaceful neighborhood or change my hobbies.   

:D :laugh:

Offline Icheatpeople

Reply #18 on: February 10, 2007, 09:01:23 PM
new is that vic make an 2 hand opening version soon, the infos are on its way to me.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #19 on: February 11, 2007, 02:16:16 AM
I wonder if they will make a 3-hand opening version someday?   ;)

Offline Icheatpeople

Reply #20 on: February 11, 2007, 11:55:12 AM
no but an fixed blade version, thats legal here  >:D

what i hear somebody working on an spey bladed sak to cut down the swiss bureocratic population.

us Offline felinevet

• Banner Member
  • No Life Club
Reply #21 on: February 12, 2007, 05:33:48 AM
BTW, has Victorinox made the removable components available for sale seperately?

Yes, the saw glass breaker are sold separately also (I haven't stocked them but I may order some).
T

Offline damota

Reply #22 on: February 12, 2007, 02:40:32 PM
After reading the write up on this knife,
http://www.equipped.com/shot_show_2007_knives6.htm
and also after owning a S&W 911 rescue tool it has confirmed my doubts about this being a practical solution for a fire rescue tool in comparison to the other tools/knives that are available. Apparently the glass breaker is replaceable because it is made from the standard steel Vic uses on their knives not a high carbon content. The 911 has a sprung punch made of carbon steel that can be used without using your arm to hammer it down. The 911 blade can be used as a pry bar to remove glass or force doors. The Hinderer also seems to be more practical with a bigger blade and buttons (when using with gloves on) then there are the BK&T Tac Tool the new Zero Tolerance JB1. I know I would rather a rescuer pries the windscreen off than cut it away. How many real travelers have a coat to hand to cover their face while glass chard's are flying about.
Sorry guys but those are my thoughts on this knife, personally I would replace my old 911 if I wanted a knife of this type.

Dave
« Last Edit: February 12, 2007, 06:26:25 PM by damota »

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #23 on: February 12, 2007, 08:30:05 PM
I have to disagree with you on that one.  I had a S&W 911 rescue tool and I have to say that while the design was sound, I really wouldn't want to have to rely on it in an emergency.

The 1/4 inch pin was a great idea, but the cheap, brittle plastic of the handle makes it kind of a moot point, the blade wobbled a little too much due to the plastic liner lock and lower than average engineering, and worst, the glass break would often pop out of it's housing, which would make it pretty well useless in an actual emergency.

It's possible that I just happened to get a "bad" one, but given the overall quality of the other knives in the S&W series (Thank You Taylor Cutlery, smurfizers of many great American Trademarks) I would have to say that even the best of them are not likely to be much better.

It is a good design, and one that would be fantastic if made by a reputable manufacturer.  While the features on it might actually be a better overall concept (I do like the spring loaded glassbreak) I would have to opt for the Victorinox Rescue based on reliability.

Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #24 on: February 12, 2007, 08:40:30 PM
I realize that I may have come across as a little harsh.  There was no offense intended to you Dave.  Differences of opinion are what makes a forum interesting, and I do appreciate your thoughts and views, as well as those of everyone else here.

However, I do have major issues with S&W knives, and their parent company, who has also seen fit to ruin other good names like Schrade.  I understand moving the manufacturing plants to the Orient to save on labor, but there is no reason the quality has to suffer as a result.  It is sheer, unadulterated greed that keeps these companies from manufacturing a product that continues the otherwise good name.

I don;t want to get political or anything, but I feel anyone who manufactures a sub standard knife or tool, then puts a top quality name on it, and attempts to direct market them to First Responders should be charged with a criminal offense for every person that is injured or killed as a direct result of shoddy workmanship.

Having done that kind of work myself for many years I can honestly say that a fireman, EMT, police officer or any other person responsable for lives and well being is only as good as the tools they have at hand.

I guess I am coming across as a little harsh again, but hopefully you see it's aimed at shoddy manufacturers, not at any members here, or their opinions.

Def

Offline Tom Munch

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: February 12, 2007, 08:45:59 PM
Def, the S&W Rescue Tool I found online at the Smith and Wesson site

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&productId=13051&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=30806&training=

says "Made in USA"

Is it possible it is better made now?

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #26 on: February 12, 2007, 08:58:58 PM
Anything is possible, but the reason many knifemakers are moving their manufacturing to other countries is because US workers are too expensive.  As such, most US knifemaking companies charge a premium price on knives and tools.

This one is listing at $50, which makes me think the guys working the assembly line are the type of skilled trades people that were rejected by McDonalds.

Read through this thread on KF for experiences with S&W knives in particular. 

http://www.knifeforums.com/forums/showtopic.php?tid/704541/post/705744/hl/poop/#705744

The short version is that this member ordered the knife then asked for opinions.  Most folks, including me, suggested that his money would be better spent on just about anything else, but that we hoped we would be wrong when it came to his blade.

The knife finally arrived, and the member said that the fit and finish on the knife was excellent, lock up was fantastic, and the feel was beautiful.  I graciously said that I was happy that I was wrong, and glad that he liked the knife.  A week later, he posted that the darn thing was pretty well falling apart on him.  And this was one of the higher end knives made by S&W.

I firmly believe that friends don't let friends by S&W knives.

Def

Offline Tom Munch

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: February 12, 2007, 09:23:51 PM
That's a great thread with a lot of info on it.  I don't want to get into a discussion like that over here just yet.  I think we're just thrilled that there are so many good multitool choices right now.

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #28 on: February 12, 2007, 09:40:08 PM
In reply to the S&W knife issue, I think they are pretty much junk.  I bought a S&W folder a few years back.  I am not very hard on my tools.  By this I mean that I dont use them to pry nails out of a board.  Yes, I have wedged them into somthing like a stuck shed door or cabinet but nothing that I thought would break a blade or render a folding knife useless.  I managed to break a S&W cutting a heavy duty zip tie.  The liner overtraveled and locked the knife open.  I have to agree with Def.  Crappy materials and workmanship give good companies a bad name.  H&K has their folders made by benchmade.  You may pay a little more or a lot more but you have a quality tool. 

The SAK rescue tool video is enough proof to me that it is a quality tool and I plan to get one soon.  At least the blades shut after being used for what it was designed to do.   

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #29 on: February 12, 2007, 09:42:49 PM
I agree with that Tom!

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%