Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What makes a SAK so elegant?

Smaug · 35 · 3305

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Τετραφάρμακος
Re: What makes a SAK so elegant?
Reply #30 on: January 29, 2017, 04:33:50 PM
They are compact and rounded, like babies (or puppies). We like babies and items that have their qualities. Add functionality, precision, legacy and all that was already mentioned. Add the charm of the phalanx (strong on the blades side and stronger in the back side, particularly in Alox and Wengers). Add the modular design, always a favorite of the public. Add advertising, ingenius exposure at stores, airports and such for decades. Add size, perfect for a handheld item. Add reachability, everyone can have one or a few. Even the top models are reachable with the lower wage of Western countries. Add psychological factors; the genius of Ulysses, the friendly feeling, the peaceful promises (despite the "Army" word), the "Alpha" quality the recognisability and so on. Add universality.

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #31 on: January 31, 2017, 03:40:57 PM
We were born with 2 hands and 10 fingers, our ultimate tools.
I belive knifemakers had this in mind when they designed the 6:th finger of our right hand:

(Image removed from quote.)

No more, no less.

Very well put! :like:

us Offline NorCalJim

• No Life Club
Reply #32 on: February 01, 2017, 01:04:18 AM
I think the elegance is hard to pin down as it's multifaceted. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and there are many attractive elements of the SAK.

Simplicity: Immediate access to the vast majority of tools, and a no-nonsense efficiency. They are no more complicated than they need to be, and there is always an elegancy to simplicity.

Affordability: They are cheap! Compared to so many other things on the market, SAK's deliver more bang for the buck than anything else. In fact for many years I actually missed out on how great they are because they were so affordable they weren't worth saving up for. I was in my thirties before I finally bought my first SAK, and I was hooked pretty much straight away

Amiability: Non, tactical, non threatening, universally accepted as a pocket tool rather than a knife. To echo Lynn, most people have some kind of nice memory they can be attributed to. Either owning one (or a friend owning one) as a child/scout whatever, a father or grandfather fixing something to your wide eyed delight, or merely seeing a picture/photo of one in a book and thinking "wow - I want one of those"

Precision: The walk and talk of a good SAK is the benchmark to aspire to today. Occasionally now I'll pick up a knife that isn't a SAK and open it. Maybe there's a slight grittiness as the tang rides the backspring, or the snick doesn't shout "Hi honey, I'm home" quite the way it should, and I feel a little disappointed. I shouldn't feel that way, as the chances are that knife is perfectly acceptable and going to be a long serving friend - but it's not got that silky precision of a SAK

Compact: On the whole you'll struggle to find more function per cubic inch/millimeter than on a SAK. Take for example the Compact - other knives with that size blade are bigger and heavier than the compact, and are JUST a blade. The efficiency of space to pack something so bijou so full of function is absolutely incredible

Aesthetics: Here is the first time where things are less universal, yet aesthetics are normally the first thing attributed to "elegance". Some people like alox scales, others not so much, some prefer a different size to others. Yes, the "lines" on a SAK are clean and smooth, and there are so many different variations that there's always going to be something someone likes - but I think aesthetics are very much secondary to the function.

Ergonomics: Again this is person specific. Some people love the hand filling swisschamp, whilst others draw their limit at a Farmer. With so many variations it's like walking into a huge shoe shop - there's always be something that'll "fit" you

Ingenuity: Again simplicity plays a big part here. Whether it's the clever Cybertool driver, the magnifying glass, alligator wrench, or simply hiding a pin in the scales - there is an ingenuity and depth of thought which goes beyond anything else. I mean, A PIN, simple, virtually size and weight free, yet so versatile. Setting digital watches that had the little recessed buttons, clearing your washer jets, digging out that splinter, eating whelks and cockles .... so much added function!

In short, a SAKs elegance is cumulative. Just as they are themselves accumulations of different tools and functions, so to over the years have they accrued the refinement, precision, simplicity, amiability, and all the other elements that make them such a joy to own, use and for many people, collect

:like:

Very well stated!

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #33 on: February 01, 2017, 02:02:46 AM
It works. It is reliable, the price is reasonable. They picked good steel- you can make it razor sharp and it holds its edge pretty well, soft enough to easily sharp, and properly tempered so it can be sharpened a LOT. It has all the basic tools (except pliers), including the option for a lanyard so you can't lose it. It is big enough to use, small enough to carry, and light enough that it isn't a hassle.

The design is comfortable in the hand, and I honestly find cellidor to be a "friendly" feeling polymer in the hand. Like Johnyb said, a sixth finger- it wants to be used. Hold it, it's warm to the touch, you want to use it. It comes in a variety of capabilities that fit the needs of the user, but they add and rarely take away from the basic tools.

It's Swiss. What does that mean? Quality- like german engineering, but better. Neutral, they do business with everyone. Tough- invading Switzerland is a form of suicide- but also friendly, with really good chocolate. Switzerland has also been a bit of a playground for the rich- it has an air of practical luxury, but again the price is reasonable.

The design is visually distinctive. The Coke bottle. The RCA dogs. The Nike swoosh. It identifies itself without hesitation with its very existence. They even made a version of their logo for places that have odd laws. I want to see their globe logo become more common, I really do. I'd replace every scale I own if I could get those,

A life time warrantee says "yes, we stand behind our product- today, tomorrow, next year. and so will our sons". And unlike a lot of those who offer such, this one is actually lived up to. It has a reputation all on it's own. Even when you look at the history of the SAK, it is unique. Victorinox could have stomped on Wenger in court on more than one occasion- instead, they said "hey, want to see how we do it? Here are our tech drawings and specs, by the way." When Wenger nearly tanked, Victorinox could have smiled and enjoyed being the only one. Nope. They put money in the "competition", tried to help them save themselves, and when Wenger did finally go, Victorinox adopted the plant, the customers and the people. Most people who have a SAK don't know this; those of us who do should find it aspirational.

And it just plain works.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Offline Danjo

Reply #34 on: February 01, 2017, 05:21:33 AM
It works. It is reliable, the price is reasonable. They picked good steel- you can make it razor sharp and it holds its edge pretty well, soft enough to easily sharp, and properly tempered so it can be sharpened a LOT. It has all the basic tools (except pliers), including the option for a lanyard so you can't lose it. It is big enough to use, small enough to carry, and light enough that it isn't a hassle.

The design is comfortable in the hand, and I honestly find cellidor to be a "friendly" feeling polymer in the hand. Like Johnyb said, a sixth finger- it wants to be used. Hold it, it's warm to the touch, you want to use it. It comes in a variety of capabilities that fit the needs of the user, but they add and rarely take away from the basic tools.

It's Swiss. What does that mean? Quality- like german engineering, but better. Neutral, they do business with everyone. Tough- invading Switzerland is a form of suicide- but also friendly, with really good chocolate. Switzerland has also been a bit of a playground for the rich- it has an air of practical luxury, but again the price is reasonable.

The design is visually distinctive. The Coke bottle. The RCA dogs. The Nike swoosh. It identifies itself without hesitation with its very existence. They even made a version of their logo for places that have odd laws. I want to see their globe logo become more common, I really do. I'd replace every scale I own if I could get those,

A life time warrantee says "yes, we stand behind our product- today, tomorrow, next year. and so will our sons". And unlike a lot of those who offer such, this one is actually lived up to. It has a reputation all on it's own. Even when you look at the history of the SAK, it is unique. Victorinox could have stomped on Wenger in court on more than one occasion- instead, they said "hey, want to see how we do it? Here are our tech drawings and specs, by the way." When Wenger nearly tanked, Victorinox could have smiled and enjoyed being the only one. Nope. They put money in the "competition", tried to help them save themselves, and when Wenger did finally go, Victorinox adopted the plant, the customers and the people. Most people who have a SAK don't know this; those of us who do should find it aspirational.

And it just plain works.
Wow! Great write-up!
"There always seems to be a way to fix things." - MacGyver

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31