Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New SOG (2017) - Initial thoughts

fi Offline temo

Re: New SOG (2017) - Initial thoughts
Reply #30 on: January 07, 2017, 02:16:19 AM
Yes quite long but slim, again bit set brings some size and weight (assume seperate but packs up as pounch was listed). Nice to see more later :)

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #31 on: January 07, 2017, 02:23:24 AM
MOre pics and info of the 2017 products are available on SOG website!!!

http://www.sogknives.com/type/new-for-2017/show/all.html

:2tu:

Additional observations:

I do like the way that the back end of the plier head on the PA and PG "fills" the gaps on the gear teeth, minimising the "gears of madness" effect on earlier tools. I'm not quite sure why they have made them hollow though  :think:

The pocket clip on the PA is on the correct end for sure, but seems that the tool will be riding quite high in the pocket. Obviously we don't know how big the hands are of whoever is holding the tool, but it does seen a decent "urban pocket tool" size. In order words, not too large for general off work carry

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #32 on: January 07, 2017, 03:58:55 AM
Yes quite long but slim, again bit set brings some size and weight (assume seperate but packs up as pounch was listed). Nice to see more later :)

Yes, it's not really clear if this carrier clips to the tool, or is carried separately in the sheath.

$120 seems VERY expensive though  :ahhh

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #33 on: January 07, 2017, 04:04:11 AM
Thankfully, I was wrong about the Q2 handles.....

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #34 on: January 07, 2017, 05:35:04 AM
Despite the battering I gave the PowerGrab earlier, I do need to pour a little more praise on it for the size efficiency of the knife blades.

On the PowerLock, the implements (including knife blades) all appear rather diminutive in comparison with the size of the overall tool. This is because they all carry the same size tools as found on the PPP. The PowerGrab to it's credit, carries knife blades relative to the size of the tool

This is a very significant improvement over the older models, and also means there is a goodly amount of blade which is not impeded by the thumb stud on deep cutting chores.

On this pic, you can also see the plier casting behind the gearing, as eluded to earlier, minimising any discomfort in hand from the gear teeth. There is certainly SOME thought that has gone into these new format tools, but I still think putting the serrated blade and scissors on the "wrong" arms, and the inclusion of old style bit driver stump to be very sloppy and poorly considered.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #35 on: January 07, 2017, 05:59:40 AM
There does seem to be a fair amount of variation in the location and width of the backlock notches across the range of implements. This may affect rigidity of lock up.

Attaching pics is such a PITA on a phone  :rant:

Also notice the long backsprings (no "rocker" locks) and the quirky release thingummy jobbies.....

I'm not quite sure what to make of those to be honest.....

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #36 on: January 07, 2017, 06:14:34 AM
Despite looking a bit on the small side, the. Phillis does look a lot better formed on the PowerAccess than was represented on the pics from last year's Powerplay. This suggests that they are making some inroads toward quality improvement.

The fact that the locking system on this tool is so different to the PowerGrab, suggests to me that they are experimenting, and not entirely convinced about which designs to run with (get both out on the market, and see which holds up better - least returns). The locking systems on the PowerPlay, Batons, and Sync all seem different again. There's no unified approach being used on any of the locking systems of the newer tools

« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 06:18:05 AM by 50ft-trad »

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #37 on: January 07, 2017, 07:01:21 AM
Question for the Powerplay and Reactor owners....

I've heard about the bits slipping in the plier head system if there isn't a sustained force keeping the handles closed. Does this mean that you can use this to your advantage like a ratcheting system so you don't have to actually spin the tool?

I hope that makes sense....

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
Reply #38 on: January 07, 2017, 07:01:55 AM
What interest me are those Kiku folders. VG-10 steel may indicate Seki-made  :ahhh

fi Offline Padre

Reply #39 on: January 07, 2017, 11:24:40 AM

I've heard about the bits slipping in the plier head system if there isn't a sustained force keeping the handles closed. Does this mean that you can use this to your advantage like a ratcheting system so you don't have to actually spin the tool?

I have heard that ratcheting like that would work.
I have used PowerPlay enough to say that the force you have to use isnt tremendous, its ok. I havent used Reactors driver, I think the whole tool would explode if I tried.
Leatherman:
Charge TTi, AL, Squirt PS4, Surge, Juice XE6, CS4, S2, ST300, Crunch, OHT, MUT, Rebar, Brewzer, Signal, Raptor, Tool Adapter, Croc, Wave, Style CS, Freestyle, Skeletool RX, Micra, Wingman
SOG:
PPP, PowerLock, SwitchPlier 2.0, Paratool, PowerAssist, Reactor, CrossCut, PowerPlay
Gerber:
FliK, MP600 ProScout, MP600 blunt, Dime, MP-1, Diesel, MP400
Bahco:
MTT151, MTT051, MTT121
Knives:
Spyderco PM2, Tatanka, Bug, ZT 0452CF, CS Recon1XL, Benchmade 940-1 and 482
SAKs:
Too many to list here...

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #40 on: January 07, 2017, 01:07:53 PM
True winner for me looks like it'll be the Poweracces. Not innovative, but come on:

only 1 oz. more than PPP, and you gain
Pocket clip (had to mod my PPP to get that)

Locking tools
Precision screwdriver (I like that one for the glasses and electronics) and maybe a decent Phillips (depends on if they change design, which seems to be the case)

add to that the C.Leverage and weight and you've got a true champ among similar tools in the market. Just wanna know the price   :ahhh
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #41 on: January 07, 2017, 01:17:34 PM
True winner for me looks like it'll be the Poweracces. Not innovative, but come on:

only 1 oz. more than PPP, and you gain
Pocket clip (had to mod my PPP to get that)

(Image removed from quote.)

Locking tools
Precision screwdriver (I like that one for the glasses and electronics) and maybe a decent Phillips (depends on if they change design, which seems to be the case)

add to that the C.Leverage and weight and you've got a true champ among similar tools in the market. Just wanna know the price   :ahhh

List price of $67, so will be available for less than that at retailers in the US, (and double that for us in Europe :P).

When you consider they have listed the small Sync and the Q2 Baton at the same price, that makes the PA look like a real bargain.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #42 on: January 07, 2017, 02:03:03 PM

I have heard that ratcheting like that would work.
I have used PowerPlay enough to say that the force you have to use isnt tremendous, its ok. I havent used Reactors driver, I think the whole tool would explode if I tried.

:tu: :salute:

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #43 on: January 07, 2017, 10:45:03 PM
This picture is quite useful IMO.

You get a better look at the locking mechanism (which looks to be a Leatherman style rocker lock, but with the "spring" stamped out of the sides, rather than the back like on the Rebar). The Pocket clip is a bit wide, but was mounted on the correct side like 50ft said. You can also clearly see that when closed the pliers "butt" acts similarly to the PowerLock's gear covers. This is a pretty great idea, I think.

Also, a closer look at the protractor, which is actually pretty nifty. You can also see that SOG chose to fill in the "holes" that the magnets go into in the Reactor and PowerPlay's bit drivers

The more i look at this tool, the more convinced I am that this could be a real winner for SOG, especially since Leatherman doesn't really have an answer to it.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 10:49:37 PM by sLaughterMed »
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #44 on: January 07, 2017, 10:59:44 PM
And, why the smurf are the locks on the blade and scissors which shouldn't be subject to axial loads, and the drivers which WILL be subject to axial loads are the lock releases.
I think we may be misinterpreting what "lock release" means. I think the Sync locks are a lot like the original SuperTool's, everything can lock. SOG marking the drivers as lock releases simply mean they are the "safe" option to pull out when another tool is open.

Of course, that means you have to pull out the scissors when one of the drivers is deployed, but thats besides the point. Maybe SOG should have marked the "sharp" implements instead.
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Reply #45 on: January 07, 2017, 11:08:00 PM
I am loving the PowerAccess. I agree that it will be a winner for them (and anyone who purchases). It is a PPP with outside access tools and a pocket clip. The pliers head even looks the same, with addition of the center-axis driver/gear cover section. Win!

The PowerGrab looks a lot like the PowerLock, too, the plier head looks the same besides the new center axis driver section that also functions as gear covers. So I am thinking this will be a win, as well.

I guess this situates the PowerPlay in the category previously held by the original PowerPlier (albeit with locks). I dunno, its almost in no man's land now between these two newer offerings.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 11:20:00 PM by rdub934 »
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #46 on: January 07, 2017, 11:24:30 PM
And, why the smurf are the locks on the blade and scissors which shouldn't be subject to axial loads, and the drivers which WILL be subject to axial loads are the lock releases.
I think we may be misinterpreting what "lock release" means. I think the Sync locks are a lot like the original SuperTool's, everything can lock. SOG marking the drivers as lock releases simply mean they are the "safe" option to pull out when another tool is open.

Of course, that means you have to pull out the scissors when one of the drivers is deployed, but thats besides the point. Maybe SOG should have marked the "sharp" implements instead.

You may well be right  :salute: I still doubt the need for such small tools to lock in the first place though.

I am loving the PowerAccess. I agree that it will be a winner for them (and anyone who purchases). It is a PPP with outside access tools and a pocket clip. Win!

The PowerGrab looks a lot like the PowerLock, too, so I am thinking this will be a win, as well.

I guess this situates the PowerPlay in the category previously held by the original PowerPlier (albeit with locks).

I think the PowerAccess is one of the strongest design approaches that SOG has had with a full sized power tool for a very long time. Let's hope it lives up to it's promise. I think I'll need a few "SOG sceptics" to have good results with this over an extended period before I'm ready to part with cash again, but judging by the design itself it's evident that there is a will to improve.

We'll have to agree to disagree about it's bigger brother  :cheers:

You get a better look at the locking mechanism (which looks to be a Leatherman style rocker lock, but with the "spring" stamped out of the sides, rather than the back like on the Rebar). The Pocket clip is a bit wide, but was mounted on the correct side like 50ft said. You can also clearly see that when closed the pliers "butt" acts similarly to the PowerLock's gear covers. This is a pretty great idea, I think.

Also, a closer look at the protractor, which is actually pretty nifty. You can also see that SOG chose to fill in the "holes" that the magnets go into in the Reactor and PowerPlay's bit drivers

The more i look at this tool, the more convinced I am that this could be a real winner for SOG, especially since Leatherman doesn't really have an answer to it.

I'm glad they stuck with a rocker lock design on this. It's a recognised method that is known to work. Also, being a back lock blade that's outboard mounted, there is scope for a little file work or dremel work to make this a slipjoint blade. The protractor is a novel element, but I'm not sure how practical it would be in real terms. It's a very crude measurement, with no method of locking it off for use as a guide. Hey ho, it's an additional feature for a few etched lines and digits, and can't hurt the tool in any way, even if it's not much kop.  :tu:
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 11:26:09 PM by 50ft-trad »

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #47 on: January 07, 2017, 11:32:59 PM
I'm surprised Nate (DTT) hasn't popped in here with some comments yet. He's a big SOG fan, so I thought he'd have some input on all this. I wonder where he's hiding?  :think:

Nate?  :pok: Thoughts?

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #48 on: January 08, 2017, 12:03:20 AM
Last I heard, Nate was interviewing new Shop Toad Interns.

Seriously, that actually looks pretty darned sweet, and I am really looking forward to it.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #49 on: January 08, 2017, 01:36:15 AM

And here's the other side of the tool

The pliers filling the gear teeth is certainly a good idea  :tu: in fact I think this might be even more comfortable than the gear cover design of old. The only two SOGs that got regular carry from me, were the Toolclip (which was actually a very comfortable and rugged tool - but the lack of Phillips was a problem for me) and a modified PT-510 (PPP with better plier head and gear covers) which I filled with the tools from a LM PST II. Unfortunately that got nicked, and I never replaced it.

The PA's design takes the PT-510 and improves it. It looks like it stops the gears of madness effect better, comes with a better toolset for general use, adds a pocket clip, and can accommodate standard 1/4" hex bits. The price seems reasonable, the tools lock, and with what seems to be a sensible lock system too. This tool really does tick a lot of boxes.

I need to tick off three more.

This tool is probably the strongest candidate for becoming my third regular carried SOG. I had hoped it was going to be the Switchplier, but that turned out to be quite a disappointment.

Here are the three things that I need to be confident of before handing over money for this tool....

1) Is it well executed? A decent design is one thing, but standard of manufacture is something else, and an area where they have been lacking in recent years. Will this be on par with the old Toolclip and PT-510, when you knew you could trust that everything would be of a high build quality, or will this be another PowerDuo "nice face, shame about the body" routine?

2) Following on from that, will the lock springs fatigue? Those wee slivers of frame bent inwards to tension the locks might not be as forgiving, and able to cycle as many times as the torsion springs used on other designs. If they fail, the springs can't be swapped out - the whole frame has to be replaced - so how long will this tool last me before it craps out?

3) They've gone to a lot of trouble to calm the gears of madness, and also to give us an external toolset, but they've left it with handles that look covered in hotspots. I got rid of a Rebar because I couldn't tolerate the hotspots on it, and this looks worse! Much worse!

So, will it be well made, will it be comfortable, and how long can I realistically expect this to last me? They're the three questions that I'm left asking about this one - and I think it's fair to say this is the only tool which has got me intrigued enough to ask these questions. I I hope the answers are positive ones

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #50 on: January 08, 2017, 06:09:11 PM
Pricing:

The P.Access and P.Grab appear to be priced in keeping with what would be the competition from other makers. To me the Access seems the better value, but that might be personal bias due to the issues I voiced before.

$67 list for the Access will probably see it hit the market at Rebar price levels, and although it doesn't offer the saw that the Rebar does, it makes up for it with bit driver and compound leverage. Aside from the tech aspects previously discussed, I think this is well pitched and could do really well for them.

$120 list for the Grab, puts it in Surge's price bracket I suppose. Can this compete? For me, if they'd switched around the serrated blade and scissors to have them better orientated, and offered a jigsaw blade adapter instead of being lazy with the bit driver stump, I think they'd have stood a better chance. As it is though, will the compound leverage be enough to sway people from the other function that the Surge offers? I'm not convinced

The Sync tools do seem a little steep for what they offer in respect of function, but we need to bear in mind there is possibly a fair bit of cost in the belt buckle itself and the alternative mounting system. They are however cheaper and probably a lot more useful than another "wearable" multitool we could mention...

I don't know what the hell they were thinking with the Batons. $54 for a pen with scissors and bottle opener. $67 for a small flashlight with a blade and bottle opener. The two pliers versions being $94 and $120 respectively for something that looks like a Gerber Dime style tool (when opened up), albeit slightly bigger (nearly juice sized?) and marketable as a "Self Defence" multitool..... I am assuming that multifunctional kubotan is what they're angling at here. I would be very surprised if these turn out to be big sellers at these prices. However, being an outsourced product at high margins and with zero tooling cost, they can afford for this to be a short lived offering.

The Micro Tool Clip seems right for a dinky keyring gizmo I suppose. Has anything actually changed on this since last time?

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #51 on: January 08, 2017, 07:05:59 PM
Not me.  I still like my Micro Tool Clip.

Especially now that I have removed the spring and ground down the release pin on the clip side.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #52 on: January 08, 2017, 08:03:41 PM
Was it snagging on the pocket?

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #53 on: January 09, 2017, 01:34:43 AM
I found that the lip of my pocket would release the lock and the spring would cause it to open in my pocket.

TBH, one or the other would solve the issue but I did both anyway.

Def

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #54 on: January 09, 2017, 04:39:08 PM
I'm surprised Nate (DTT) hasn't popped in here with some comments yet. He's a big SOG fan, so I thought he'd have some input on all this. I wonder where he's hiding?  :think:

Nate?  :pok: Thoughts?
I'm here Al!
Last I heard, Nate was interviewing new Shop Toad Interns.

Seriously, that actually looks pretty darned sweet, and I am really looking forward to it.

Def
No luck with a new Shop Toad since she passed. I don't get it, I offer free beer, room and board and full use to all of the tools in my shop. All they have to do is get petted and take a pic every once in awhile. :think:

I am really digging the Power Grab. Love how the use the plier pivots as the gear covers. Very nice touch on that. Also liking the new blade. Phipps drive seems like it might work better than the old one and love that SOG is still using standard bits. SOG patch stamped on the handle gives it a nice touch, but that is just visual.

What interest me are those Kiku folders. VG-10 steel may indicate Seki-made  :ahhh
If it is the same VG-10 that is used in the Vulcans, it should be Seki. While I always preferred carbon to stainless, VG-10 is an awesome steel. Gets very sharp and holds an edge for a long time and does not seem to take forever to sharpen. One of the best stainless in my book. Speaking of knives, they have a few folders and a couple of fixed blades that I wouldn't mind having.
20170109_101902_1024x1024.jpg
* 20170109_101902_1024x1024.jpg (Filesize: 56.41 KB)
Nate

SEND IT!

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #55 on: January 09, 2017, 09:22:08 PM
:woohoo: It's Nate! :nanadance:

Thanks for stopping by mate.  :tu:

Sorry about Shop Toad. I think I may have missed that news.

I don't want to burst your bubble, but I think that new Phillips is only available on the PowerAssist. It looks like the PG retains the disappointing old style one.

it Offline balvenie

Reply #56 on: January 10, 2017, 10:10:44 AM
When will be out these new models?
I have nothing against corkscrew, i'm Italian!!

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #57 on: January 10, 2017, 11:44:22 AM
:woohoo: It's Nate! :nanadance:

Thanks for stopping by mate.  :tu:

Sorry about Shop Toad. I think I may have missed that news.

I don't want to burst your bubble, but I think that new Phillips is only available on the PowerAssist. It looks like the PG retains the disappointing old style one.
Yeah, we was both away for quite awhile. Life has a way of throwing a monkey wrench into the works and smurfing things up. Glad you are back Al.

Hmmmm, my Power Assist has the old type. But that might because it is an older one. It does ok but I wish it was a number 2 instead of a number 1.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 11:48:17 AM by ducttapetech »
Nate

SEND IT!

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #58 on: January 10, 2017, 11:51:05 AM
Sorry Nate - I had a brain fart there. I meant to say PowerACCESS. It seems that it might be a better profiled driver than the old one.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 11:52:53 AM by 50ft-trad »

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #59 on: January 10, 2017, 12:32:53 PM
 :salute:
Nate

SEND IT!

Donations

Operational Funds