Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Great SOG Power Plier/PPP conundrum

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Great SOG Power Plier/PPP conundrum
on: January 08, 2017, 12:54:32 AM
While researching the Pocket Power Plier and Power Plier issue dates with Bob (J-Sews) the easy answer came up as:

According to my archives, The PP first showed up in the SOG catalog in 1995, and the PPP in 1996

But, it's not that simple as the following message shows- this one came in about ten seconds after I copied and pasted the first message into the Trivia thread:

...which seems to conflict slightly with the filing date of U.S. Patent 5809599, which was dated Dec 6, 1996[/url]

My thought was that, like many manufacturers, they didn't want to wait for the patent to actually be issued, and instead starting to produce "Patent Pending" version while waiting for the lawyers and government to do what they do.

Then this message came in:

That could be one explanation.  But you wouldn't think you could claim "patent pending" unless you'd actually filed for a patent..???  But I dunno

Then:

Or maybe there's an earlier patent filing that I just haven't found yet

And then:

I'd go with the 95 catalog date

So there you have it- until we get more information, the official word it 1995, subject to change without notice.   :ahhh

Does anyone have any more information to add to this thaat might clear things up?  Or make it more fun by muddying the waters further?   :pok:

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Re: Great SOG Power Plier/PPP conundrum
Reply #1 on: January 08, 2017, 12:59:56 AM
I think it might have been a Tuesday, if that helps  :whistle:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: January 08, 2017, 02:02:55 AM
We can go with my first answer of 1996 :angel:

:D

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #3 on: January 08, 2017, 04:09:58 AM
According to that patent, the priority date (which is kind of like an "effective filing date", and can be earlier than the actual filing date) is 1993, which would fall in line with a couple years of development before releasing the PPP and PP in 1995/1996

For those more well versed in legalese, here is where i got that info:
http://www.bios.net/daisy/patentlens/2343.html
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: January 08, 2017, 07:15:59 PM
According to that patent, the priority date (which is kind of like an "effective filing date", and can be earlier than the actual filing date) is 1993, which would fall in line with a couple years of development before releasing the PPP and PP in 1995/1996

For those more well versed in legalese, here is where i got that info:
http://www.bios.net/daisy/patentlens/2343.html

Ah, excellent observation. I had missed that point in my discussion with Grant. :salute:

Thanks!! :tu:

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: January 08, 2017, 10:43:39 PM
Wow, if we had a "Knowing something that Bob doesn't" merit badge, that would probably be the only time we ever gave it out!

:ahhh

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #6 on: January 09, 2017, 06:53:47 PM
Carrying the excellent PP today 'cause I read this thread yesterday...  :D

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: January 09, 2017, 08:40:55 PM
Good thing you didn't read a thread about a pink tutu!   :ahhh

Def

fi Offline Padre

Reply #8 on: January 09, 2017, 09:20:47 PM
Come oon. Peacent carries anything gracefully, he has like half man weight of tools with him. Is that a Mora btw? :)
Leatherman:
Charge TTi, AL, Squirt PS4, Surge, Juice XE6, CS4, S2, ST300, Crunch, OHT, MUT, Rebar, Brewzer, Signal, Raptor, Tool Adapter, Croc, Wave, Style CS, Freestyle, Skeletool RX, Micra, Wingman
SOG:
PPP, PowerLock, SwitchPlier 2.0, Paratool, PowerAssist, Reactor, CrossCut, PowerPlay
Gerber:
FliK, MP600 ProScout, MP600 blunt, Dime, MP-1, Diesel, MP400
Bahco:
MTT151, MTT051, MTT121
Knives:
Spyderco PM2, Tatanka, Bug, ZT 0452CF, CS Recon1XL, Benchmade 940-1 and 482
SAKs:
Too many to list here...

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #9 on: January 09, 2017, 11:58:06 PM
Wow, if we had a "Knowing something that Bob doesn't" merit badge, that would probably be the only time we ever gave it out!

:ahhh

Def
So when do I get my badge?
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #10 on: January 10, 2017, 04:32:34 PM
Come oon. Peacent carries anything gracefully, he has like half man weight of tools with him. Is that a Mora btw? :)

Mora given as a present in this year's Secret Santa by the mighty Powernoodle! I like it a lot, such a great lightweight and discreet carry (sheat inside pocket)
But today I carry the same SAK and MT, with the Voyager instead. I like rotating!!  :salute:

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%