Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Sharpening for SAK beginner?

wales Offline caninesapien

Sharpening for SAK beginner?
on: January 12, 2017, 10:51:43 AM
Hi all

I am very new to the world of SAK and wanted to ask for opinions on sharpeners for the beginner. Do you think the Vic dual sharpener would be ok to start with, or is it worth spending a little more to get something more substantial? I like the look of the Vic sharpener but do you think a beginner could get to grips with it?

Thanks!

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Re: Sharpening for SAK beginner?
Reply #1 on: January 12, 2017, 11:13:57 AM
Hi all

I am very new to the world of SAK and wanted to ask for opinions on sharpeners for the beginner. Do you think the Vic dual sharpener would be ok to start with, or is it worth spending a little more to get something more substantial? I like the look of the Vic sharpener but do you think a beginner could get to grips with it?

Thanks!
If you mean the pen type Vic sharpener, I have heard good things about it. It is reasonably priced and best of all, designed specifically for sharpening SAK's!  SAK steel is soft enough to aid easier sharpening, so I'd recommend practising on the dual sharpener first and going from there.

:salute:
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: January 12, 2017, 11:18:42 AM
Hi all

Thanks!

Rod style sharpeners require a bit of skill (something I feel I'm losing, I believe I was better at it at age 8 than now...) and will require very much work if there are any deeper marks on the edge. Nothing that difficult and a good skill to possess since they are so slim and easy to bring with you. For a reasonably cheap solution that is more or less idiotproof I use the 4 rod version Lansky Turnbox.

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: January 12, 2017, 11:35:10 AM
Hi all

Thanks!

Hi, i highly recommend Vic's dual sharpener pen, for me its a life saver  :tu:
I totally suck at sharpening any knife with a stone, even worse if it's a sak so the V sharpener is a must fir me, gets the job done. You only need not to let the blade get too dull between sharpening's.
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

Reply #4 on: January 12, 2017, 11:45:19 AM
Thanks for the replies all. I think I'll start with the Vic pen sharpener. I think if I'm ok with that I'll try the Lanksy one.

MacGyver, do you just use the V sharpener for SAKs?

us Online sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #5 on: January 12, 2017, 11:52:53 AM
I mainly use a Lansky 4 rod turn box or the Spyderco Sharpmaker for sak's.  Very simple to use.

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: January 12, 2017, 11:56:25 AM
I broke the sharpening rod on mine ages ago. I made a sawn-off version for edc (you can find that somewhere in my older posts). So when it broke I modified the remaining V-sharpener in to a keychain thingie and edc it all the time (I think there is a picture of it somewhere in my EDC thread). It works great to touch up the sak edge on the fly.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 12:26:44 PM by lister »
There is no magic therefore gadgets!

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: January 12, 2017, 12:06:12 PM

Yep, pretty much so. But I try not to let the blade get too dull, just touch up the edge regularly. If its too dull or has dents I'll use the rod very carefully first, and finish up with the V. It will cut more than well enough for my use ;)

I broke the sharpening rod on mine ages ago. I made a sawn-off version for edc (you can find that somewhere in my older posts). So when it broke I modified the remaining V-sharpener in to a key and edc it on me all the time (I think there is a picture of it somewhere in my EDC thread). It works great to touch up the sak edge on the fly.

Great, I did the exact same thing with one of my Vic sharpeners, but in my case the rod didn't broke off, I pulled off on purpose to make a small edc V sharpener :D
Gave the rod on that one to my wife to sharpen kitchen knives with ;)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 12:11:35 PM by MacGyver »
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

Reply #8 on: January 12, 2017, 12:10:21 PM

Yep, pretty much so. But I try not to let the blade get too dull, just touch up the edge regularly. If its too dull or has dents I'll use the rod very carefully first, and finish up with the V. It will cut more than well enough for my use ;)

Thanks. Yeah I'm planning to start sharpening regularly, rather than waiting for the blade to get too dull! Cheers.

nl Offline Ron Who

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • I'm blue!
Reply #9 on: January 12, 2017, 02:10:42 PM
A short video showing the various Victorinox sharpening tools:

https://youtu.be/_MvCj_ttXE0

us Offline Dean51

• No Life Club
  • Geometry cuts but the steel determines how long.
Reply #10 on: January 12, 2017, 02:42:57 PM
Hi all

Thanks!

For a reasonably cheap solution that is more or less idiotproof I use the 4 rod version Lansky Turnbox.

Another vote for the 4 rod Lansky Turn Box. For a beginner that's as easy as it gets, just hold the blade vertical and draw down.

us Offline sergemaster

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: January 12, 2017, 04:49:58 PM
Amici,
 I have found when it comes to the SAK, that a ceramic rod along with a leather strop is all that you really need to keep a razor like edge that with stay, and not roll with the first friction encountering cut.

If you're going to use a system, I would lean towards the Spyderco Sharpmaker which comes with two ceramic rod types, coarse and medium. There are others you can purchase secondary, but these alone seem to do a great job removing any burrs as well as honing and polishing the blades edge.

For me, I use an Arkansas ceramic rod and sharpen free style most days when things are slow on the job. Once you do this long enough, you develop a "feel" on what's the right angle when you drag the blade across the rod. 

Just remember, a SAK is a cutting tool, not a saw!   

Cheers,
Serge
'I will NOT be threatened by a walking Meatloaf!!' - D. Kessler

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #12 on: January 12, 2017, 05:59:15 PM
Despite what I write on other thread  :facepalm: keep it simple.  SAK steel is pretty easy to get razor sharp.  I also have the turn box which is good.  I have the Spyderco as well and its also good.  I have Arkansas stone ( fine ) and other odds and ends. 

What I have learned for better of worse is a SAK edge is best honed before any thing more is needed.  You can also strop the edge before any actual sharpening is needed.  Most SAKs IMO used for everyday stuff only really need to be honed.  That is the very edge of the knife blade need to be realigned.  A little experimenting and you'll see its pretty easy.   
Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD