Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New from CRKT- The Rune 2165

Head Turd Polisher Administrator Just Bananas Posts: 60,733 Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
New from CRKT- The Rune
« on: January 12, 2017, 01:40:08 PM »

According to CRKT:

RUNE™
Designed by Ryan Johnson of RMJ Tactical in Chattanooga, Tennessee
Tactical body, Viking spirit.

The Rune™ is a tactical axe modeled after old Nordic weaponry, and it feels most at home on a SWAT vest. It’s remarkably lightweight, and what it lacks in bulk, it makes up for in versatility. When going headlong into a dicey situation, the Rune™ will lead the way.
Black Powder Coating
Glass Reinforced Nylon Handles
MOLLE Compatible Glass Reinforced Nylon Sheath w/Buckle Strap
$150.00

I think it looks like a very handy small axe for the woods, but as it seems to be a tactical axe for SWAT people it seems a bit on the pricey side.  It is nice though... and I suppose a lot cheaper than some other tactical axes on the market.

Def

No Life Club Posts: 1,208
Re: New from CRKT- The Rune
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2017, 02:36:27 PM »
It's cool and all if you like the tactical look but I have a hard time justifying such a tool compared to a Gränsfors bruk of the same size.

CRKT Rune:
Length: 31 cm (12")
Weight: 0.68 kg (1 lb 8 oz)
Price: 150 $

Gränsfors bruk Vildmarksyxa:
Length: 35 cm (14")
Weight: 0.6 kg (1 lb 5 oz)
Price: 112$ (including shipping. This is the worst price I could find locally to make it more fair in comparison to the CRKT recommended price. I could probably pick it up for around 70$)
Head Turd Polisher Administrator Just Bananas Posts: 60,733 Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2017, 03:57:32 PM »
You will probably see the CRKT in the $100ish range street price, so that makes it less painful.

I recall a few years ago I was excited by a new 'hawk from Benchmade until I saw the MSRP on it was $300, so in comparison, the Rune isn't that pricey. 

Def

Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 7,748
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2017, 04:27:20 PM »
It looks cool, but looks uncomfortable to use and pricey.
If I was to get a CRKT axe I would rather get the "birler" wich has a much nicer msrp of $89.

https://www.crkt.com/birler.html
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 04:28:46 PM by Grathr »

-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.
Zombie Apprentice Posts: 18,713 Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2017, 04:32:27 PM »
Not bad. I like the SOG hawks myself and they are  way cheaper and they work pretty good.

Nate

Foxtrot Foxtrot Sierra
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2017, 05:58:49 PM »
It looks cool, but looks uncomfortable to use and pricey.
If I was to get a CRKT axe I would rather get the "birler" wich has a much nicer msrp of $89.

https://www.crkt.com/birler.html

Uncomfortable to use and pricey are some of the defining characteristics of tactical tools.   :facepalm:

The Birler is a very nice looking axe too.

Def

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2017, 06:00:24 PM »
Not bad. I like the SOG hawks myself and they are  way cheaper and they work pretty good.

I keep looking at SOG hawks and I think of my CS Vietnam Tomahawk that never gets any use and I don't bother getting the SOG.

Of course I did the same thing with the Gerber E-Tool, SOG Entrenching Tool and the CS Spetznaz shovel, and now I have all three.  :ahhh

Def

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2017, 06:09:00 PM »
Sounds like a nice collection to me. I do love my SOG Hawk. Light weight and process wood like nobody busines. And you get to look like a ninja. Bonus. LOL!

Nate

Foxtrot Foxtrot Sierra
Global Moderator He Who Has The Most Nuts, Wins! Posts: 51,319
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2017, 09:35:30 PM »
Sounds like a nice collection to me. I do love my SOG Hawk. Light weight and process wood like nobody busines. And you get to look like a ninja. Bonus. LOL!

:mn: :ns:

:D
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2017, 01:33:42 PM »

I had planned to do a video review of the shovels, in which I started the segment down a long logging road I know.  In the background would be my trailer with a rolled up carpet with a set of work boots sticking out of it.  I would then dig three holes, end to end that were two feet wide, two feet deep and two feet long, coincidentally making one big hole measuring 2 feet x 2 feet by 6 feet, all the while, the carpet with boots sticking out would be visible in the background, me never referencing it once....  :D

Unfortunately the logging road I was going to do it on was not far from the police station, and I really didn't want to have to try and explain my way out of that one...   :ahhh

Def

No Life Club Posts: 3,251
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2017, 02:07:16 PM »
tactical axes

That's a phrase you don't hear everyday.

I would like to have one, though - just because.

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2017, 05:41:33 PM »

I had planned to do a video review of the shovels, in which I started the segment down a long logging road I know.  In the background would be my trailer with a rolled up carpet with a set of work boots sticking out of it.  I would then dig three holes, end to end that were two feet wide, two feet deep and two feet long, coincidentally making one big hole measuring 2 feet x 2 feet by 6 feet, all the while, the carpet with boots sticking out would be visible in the background, me never referencing it once....  :D

Unfortunately the logging road I was going to do it on was not far from the police station, and I really didn't want to have to try and explain my way out of that one...   :ahhh

Def
:rofl:
That would have made a great video.

Nate

Foxtrot Foxtrot Sierra
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 7,748
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2017, 05:52:05 PM »

Def
That would have made a great video.

-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2017, 10:29:04 PM »
Maybe some day I'll do it.... just for the fun of it.  I'll be sure to call the RCMP and let them know in advance that it's a gag!

Def

Wielder of the Bow of Banishment. Admin Team Point Of No Return Posts: 30,883 El Presidente del Fan Club Micky D
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2017, 11:47:38 PM »
It's not quite my cup of tea, however I do like the look of the two 'hawks that CRKT came out with a couple of years back.

No Life Club Posts: 3,803
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2017, 01:18:18 AM »
Are they collecting sales data? How many people who buy this item are legitimately paid to kick down a door?

the Birl looks a bit friendlier, but for the price I can get 2 Husqvarna hatchets, so it would want to go and collect the firewood itself or do something else amazing.

Wielder of the Bow of Banishment. Admin Team Point Of No Return Posts: 30,883 El Presidente del Fan Club Micky D
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2017, 11:44:08 PM »
Are they collecting sales data? How many people who buy this item are legitimately paid to kick down a door?

the Birl looks a bit friendlier, but for the price I can get 2 Husqvarna hatchets, so it would want to go and collect the firewood itself or do something else amazing.

I'd forgotten about the Birler, now that's a good looking axe.  As you say though, I'm not sure about the price. :-\

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $263.00
PayPal Fees: $16.03
Net Balance: $246.97
Below Goal: $53.03
Site Currency: USD
82%