Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New from CRKT- The Rune

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
New from CRKT- The Rune
on: January 12, 2017, 01:40:08 PM

According to CRKT:

RUNE™
Designed by Ryan Johnson of RMJ Tactical in Chattanooga, Tennessee
Tactical body, Viking spirit.

The Rune™ is a tactical axe modeled after old Nordic weaponry, and it feels most at home on a SWAT vest. It’s remarkably lightweight, and what it lacks in bulk, it makes up for in versatility. When going headlong into a dicey situation, the Rune™ will lead the way.
Black Powder Coating
Glass Reinforced Nylon Handles
MOLLE Compatible Glass Reinforced Nylon Sheath w/Buckle Strap
$150.00

I think it looks like a very handy small axe for the woods, but as it seems to be a tactical axe for SWAT people it seems a bit on the pricey side.  It is nice though... and I suppose a lot cheaper than some other tactical axes on the market.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Re: New from CRKT- The Rune
Reply #1 on: January 12, 2017, 02:36:27 PM
It's cool and all if you like the tactical look but I have a hard time justifying such a tool compared to a Gränsfors bruk of the same size.

CRKT Rune:
Length: 31 cm (12")
Weight: 0.68 kg (1 lb 8 oz)
Price: 150 $

Gränsfors bruk Vildmarksyxa:
Length: 35 cm (14")
Weight: 0.6 kg (1 lb 5 oz)
Price: 112$ (including shipping. This is the worst price I could find locally to make it more fair in comparison to the CRKT recommended price. I could probably pick it up for around 70$)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: January 12, 2017, 03:57:32 PM
You will probably see the CRKT in the $100ish range street price, so that makes it less painful.

I recall a few years ago I was excited by a new 'hawk from Benchmade until I saw the MSRP on it was $300, so in comparison, the Rune isn't that pricey. 

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

no Offline Grathr

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: January 12, 2017, 04:27:20 PM
It looks cool, but looks uncomfortable to use and pricey.
If I was to get a CRKT axe I would rather get the "birler" wich has a much nicer msrp of $89.

https://www.crkt.com/birler.html
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 04:28:46 PM by Grathr »
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #4 on: January 12, 2017, 04:32:27 PM
Not bad. I like the SOG hawks myself and they are  way cheaper and they work pretty good.
Nate

SEND IT!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: January 13, 2017, 05:58:49 PM
It looks cool, but looks uncomfortable to use and pricey.
If I was to get a CRKT axe I would rather get the "birler" wich has a much nicer msrp of $89.

https://www.crkt.com/birler.html

Uncomfortable to use and pricey are some of the defining characteristics of tactical tools.   :facepalm:

The Birler is a very nice looking axe too.

Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: January 13, 2017, 06:00:24 PM
Not bad. I like the SOG hawks myself and they are  way cheaper and they work pretty good.

I keep looking at SOG hawks and I think of my CS Vietnam Tomahawk that never gets any use and I don't bother getting the SOG.

Of course I did the same thing with the Gerber E-Tool, SOG Entrenching Tool and the CS Spetznaz shovel, and now I have all three.  :ahhh

Def

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: January 13, 2017, 06:09:00 PM
Sounds like a nice collection to me. I do love my SOG Hawk. Light weight and process wood like nobody busines. And you get to look like a ninja. Bonus. LOL!
Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: January 13, 2017, 09:35:30 PM
Sounds like a nice collection to me. I do love my SOG Hawk. Light weight and process wood like nobody busines. And you get to look like a ninja. Bonus. LOL!

:mn: :ns:

:D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: January 14, 2017, 01:33:42 PM

I had planned to do a video review of the shovels, in which I started the segment down a long logging road I know.  In the background would be my trailer with a rolled up carpet with a set of work boots sticking out of it.  I would then dig three holes, end to end that were two feet wide, two feet deep and two feet long, coincidentally making one big hole measuring 2 feet x 2 feet by 6 feet, all the while, the carpet with boots sticking out would be visible in the background, me never referencing it once....  :D

Unfortunately the logging road I was going to do it on was not far from the police station, and I really didn't want to have to try and explain my way out of that one...   :ahhh

Def

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #10 on: January 14, 2017, 02:07:16 PM
tactical axes

That's a phrase you don't hear everyday.

I would like to have one, though - just because.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: January 14, 2017, 05:41:33 PM

I had planned to do a video review of the shovels, in which I started the segment down a long logging road I know.  In the background would be my trailer with a rolled up carpet with a set of work boots sticking out of it.  I would then dig three holes, end to end that were two feet wide, two feet deep and two feet long, coincidentally making one big hole measuring 2 feet x 2 feet by 6 feet, all the while, the carpet with boots sticking out would be visible in the background, me never referencing it once....  :D

Unfortunately the logging road I was going to do it on was not far from the police station, and I really didn't want to have to try and explain my way out of that one...   :ahhh

Def
:rofl:
That would have made a great video.
Nate

SEND IT!

no Offline Grathr

Reply #12 on: January 14, 2017, 05:52:05 PM

Def
That would have made a great video.

-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #13 on: January 14, 2017, 10:29:04 PM
Maybe some day I'll do it.... just for the fun of it.  I'll be sure to call the RCMP and let them know in advance that it's a gag!

Def

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #14 on: January 14, 2017, 11:47:38 PM
It's not quite my cup of tea, however I do like the look of the two 'hawks that CRKT came out with a couple of years back.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: January 18, 2017, 01:18:18 AM
Are they collecting sales data? How many people who buy this item are legitimately paid to kick down a door?

the Birl looks a bit friendlier, but for the price I can get 2 Husqvarna hatchets, so it would want to go and collect the firewood itself or do something else amazing.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #16 on: January 18, 2017, 11:44:08 PM
Are they collecting sales data? How many people who buy this item are legitimately paid to kick down a door?

the Birl looks a bit friendlier, but for the price I can get 2 Husqvarna hatchets, so it would want to go and collect the firewood itself or do something else amazing.

I'd forgotten about the Birler, now that's a good looking axe.  As you say though, I'm not sure about the price. :-\
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%