Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Fountain Pens

wales Offline Smashie

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Smurf it!
Fountain Pens
on: January 13, 2017, 04:39:57 PM
Does anyone else use them?

Kaweco Brass Sport

Visconti Van Gogh Lilacs

“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Fountain Pens
Reply #1 on: January 13, 2017, 04:52:05 PM
Just got my daughter into them.  Picked her up a Pilot Metropolitan to get her started. 
Esse Quam Videri

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #2 on: January 13, 2017, 04:58:47 PM
Just got my daughter into them.  Picked her up a Pilot Metropolitan to get her started.

Got a Pilot around here somewhere  :tu: I usually recommend the Lamy Safari
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: January 13, 2017, 05:03:02 PM

I got her a pack of Platinum Preppy's as well.  I've bought her Rhodia note books and paper products so I figured it was time for her to try some other writing implements.

I believe the Safari uses proprietary refills?  Correct me as I am not certain.   

Esse Quam Videri

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #4 on: January 13, 2017, 05:07:37 PM

I got her a pack of Platinum Preppy's as well.  I've bought her Rhodia note books and paper products so I figured it was time for her to try some other writing implements.

I believe the Safari uses proprietary refills?  Correct me as I am not certain.   

It does, but you can get a piston filler for it as well

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: January 13, 2017, 05:14:34 PM
Here's what I recently got her. 
IMG_2144.JPG
* IMG_2144.JPG (Filesize: 127.3 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #6 on: January 13, 2017, 05:18:01 PM
Here's what I recently got her.

Nice  :tu:

Can she use coloured inks or is she stuck with blue or black?

no Offline Grathr

Reply #7 on: January 13, 2017, 05:18:49 PM
I use them every day.
Its the only pens I can write with that is vaguely readable for other people :D

I generally use the Pilot V pen wich are disposable fountain pens. I also use a cheap parker vector fountain pen and a little more classy pilot fountain pen.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 05:25:56 PM by Grathr »
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: January 13, 2017, 05:24:13 PM
The pack of Preppy's is colored.  The Pilot is black cartridge there is a converter for it.  This is her first foray into fountain pens so we'll see if she like using them then we'll get the converter and other ink. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: January 13, 2017, 05:25:10 PM
Purple Leopard should do the trick with getting her to use the pen more often.   :D
Esse Quam Videri

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #10 on: January 13, 2017, 05:27:49 PM
The pack of Preppy's is colored.  The Pilot is black cartridge there is a converter for it.  This is her first foray into fountain pens so we'll see if she like using them then we'll get the converter and other ink.

Cool, I only use coloured ink which freaks some people out, Diamine Grape, Deep Dark Green and Ancient copper. The Grape and the Green will pass for black unless you are under really strong light. I say this because some schools and or workplaces get funny about writing in any other colour.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: January 13, 2017, 05:32:26 PM

Cool, I only use coloured ink which freaks some people out, Diamine Grape, Deep Dark Green and Ancient copper. The Grape and the Green will pass for black unless you are under really strong light. I say this because some schools and or workplaces get funny about writing in any other colour.

I usually write with a regular pen and have used green for years.  I do however use blue since you are correct in that people react very oddly to other than black and blue. 

Her Preppy pack has 7 different colors.  I'm certain her teachers prefer black and blue.  Such boring colors with the wide array of awesome colors to choose from.  I get it tho.     
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: January 13, 2017, 08:58:02 PM
Man I'd love to have a kaweco. Really nice feel and classy, but not flashy look to them.
multi-tools—folding contraptions fixed with all kinds of doo-dads

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: January 13, 2017, 09:58:08 PM
I use and like fountain pens and have a few relatively cheap ones. Shown here from left to right are:
  • Pilot Birdie, this is probably my favourite in regards to size but while I like the result from writing with the fine tip it is a bit to sharp. I got this one to replace another of the same model that I lost, this new one is missing the refilling bulb so it's empty until I can find refills.
  • Parker Jotter, the plastic on this one cracked and it has also made a bit of a mess of the pen pocket on one of my suit jackets when the cap came loose.
  • Parker Vector, not really my style but it belonged to my grandfather.
  • Lamy St, my latest and meant to replace the Birdie that I lost (before I got another Birdie from my father). Unfortunately it is horribly unbalanced if posted unlike the Birdie that only gets better when posted.

I got the piston refill for the Lamy (pictured left) but I'm still using the first of the rather large refills. I'm not that in the know about inks so I've been using a cheap (and available locally) Pelican royal blue or the branded ones. I prefer royal blue for the possibility to erase it and for the "classic" look it gives the writing.

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #14 on: January 13, 2017, 10:03:04 PM
I use and like fountain pens and have a few relatively cheap ones. Shown here from left to right are:
  • Pilot Birdie, this is probably my favourite in regards to size but while I like the result from writing with the fine tip it is a bit to sharp. I got this one to replace another of the same model that I lost, this new one is missing the refilling bulb so it's empty until I can find refills.
  • Parker Jotter, the plastic on this one cracked and it has also made a bit of a mess of the pen pocket on one of my suit jackets when the cap came loose.
  • Parker Vector, not really my style but it belonged to my grandfather.
  • Lamy St, my latest and meant to replace the Birdie that I lost (before I got another Birdie from my father). Unfortunately it is horribly unbalanced if posted unlike the Birdie that only gets better when posted.
I got the piston refill for the Lamy (pictured left) but I'm still using the first of the rather large refills. I'm not that in the know about inks so I've been using a cheap (and available locally) Pelican royal blue or the branded ones. I prefer royal blue for the possibility to erase it and for the "classic" look it gives the writing.

(Image removed from quote.)

Nice choice of pens  :tu:

I like Diamine inks because they are water based and makes the pen easy to clean out, Just stay away from their registrars ink, It will kill the pen.

Although they do cartridges they dont fit the Lamy, but the converters for them are very inexpensive

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #15 on: January 15, 2017, 12:22:25 AM
I had a Montblanc Meisterstuck (see picture) and several other Montblancs. I sold them all. I haven't used a fountain pen in many years. This particular pen didn't accept cartridges. The ink had to be sucked straight out of the bottle, by rotating the top end of the pen. Could get messy. This thread brings back memories!
Montblanc_Meisterstuck.jpg
* Montblanc_Meisterstuck.jpg (Filesize: 23.47 KB)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 12:28:56 AM by Ronald Schröder »

no Offline Grathr

Reply #16 on: January 18, 2017, 06:17:10 PM
Two of my favourites. :)
IMG_8367.JPG
* IMG_8367.JPG (Filesize: 113.47 KB)
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

gb Offline BePrepared

Reply #17 on: March 13, 2018, 10:21:16 PM
Been carrying a Kaweco Lilliput (along with a Squirt and Ti3) in a pouch that fits nicely in my front pocket.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #18 on: March 13, 2018, 10:53:44 PM
I considered getting a Lilliput at one point.
Maybe I should start considering again.  :think:

In any case,  :like:
Cool pen, cool light.
 :like:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #19 on: March 14, 2018, 04:22:29 PM
Nothing exotic here. A Parker Vector calligraphy set that I received at Christmas, and a £2 Lamy Safari knock-off that I got off ebay, because I wanted to try a pen with a finer nib. Aside from the Quink cartridges that came with the Vector set, the only ink I have at present is Diamine Grape.

I have used them a fair bit this year, writing letters to pen friends as well as just scribbling down notes. My handwriting is not great, but does tend to be legible most of the time. I'm not at risk of tumbling down a rabbit hole with fountain pens, as I'm quite satisfied with these two. I would like to get a couple more inks though. Diamine's Twilight, Sherwood Green, and possibly Raw Sienna are looking like the favourites at the moment.
IMG_20180314_150847_1067_800.jpg
* IMG_20180314_150847_1067_800.jpg (Filesize: 46.71 KB)

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #20 on: March 21, 2018, 12:27:15 AM
Received some new inks today. Four small bottles, and a small pack of cartidges to tip the order into free shipping. The Diamine Grape I already have, and the Parker Vector is fueled up with it. The Safari clone got fitted with one of the Chocolate Brown cartridges, and I just dipped a nib into the rest of the bottles to write with them for the attached pic. The wider stripes are done with cotton buds. In real life there is a bigger distingtion between the Teal and Twilight. Please excuse the bad quality pic, that's house lighting and the camera on the phone, so not true colours
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 12:28:24 AM by 50ft-trad »

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #21 on: March 21, 2018, 12:36:56 AM
Some very nice colours.
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #22 on: March 21, 2018, 12:42:20 AM
Nice pens guys!
I tend to lean towards Parkers myself.
0320180755_1024x1024.jpg
* 0320180755_1024x1024.jpg (Filesize: 85.04 KB)
Nate

SEND IT!

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #23 on: March 21, 2018, 07:16:49 AM
Received some new inks today. Four small bottles, and a small pack of cartidges to tip the order into free shipping. The Diamine Grape I already have, and the Parker Vector is fueled up with it. The Safari clone got fitted with one of the Chocolate Brown cartridges, and I just dipped a nib into the rest of the bottles to write with them for the attached pic. The wider stripes are done with cotton buds. In real life there is a bigger distingtion between the Teal and Twilight. Please excuse the bad quality pic, that's house lighting and the camera on the phone, so not true colours

Ok that burnt Siena looks better on the paper than the samples I looked at  :like:

hr Offline styx

Reply #24 on: March 21, 2018, 11:02:15 AM
well this reminds me that I really should get a fountain pen
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #25 on: March 21, 2018, 02:56:48 PM
@50 Those colors are really nice.  I wouldn't think brown ink but I like it very much.   My daughter is really liking her pens and has been writing a lot more, journaling.  She takes notes mostly with them but she's enjoying them a lot.  Her friend has taken a shine to them as well.   
Esse Quam Videri

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #26 on: March 21, 2018, 10:55:51 PM
Some very nice colours.

Thanks Pablo  :cheers:

Nice pens guys!
I tend to lean towards Parkers myself.

Which Parker is that, Nate? I'm new to this game.

(good to see the pocket watch is still in use, buddy  :tu:)

Ok that burnt Siena looks better on the paper than the samples I looked at  :like:

Yeah, I like the look of that one too. Remember, I've not quite captured the correct colour of any of them here, so don't take that pic too literally.

@50 Those colors are really nice.  I wouldn't think brown ink but I like it very much.   My daughter is really liking her pens and has been writing a lot more, journaling.  She takes notes mostly with them but she's enjoying them a lot.  Her friend has taken a shine to them as well.   

Thanks Aloha. I really like the Chocolate Brown (I wish I'd bought a bottle of it, instead of just 6 carts), and I think it'll look great on the cream paper. I haven't used fountain pens for many years, and am really enjoying trying them again. As i've discovered, it's something that can be done very cheaply too. I'd certainly recommend Diamine inks for the daughter.  :tu:

As an aside, I also needed something to write on, as letter writing pads were too pricey (and too small) for my liking. I've got some paper coming in which I found very cheap online, which should do just fine for letter writing (to friends that is, not anything formal). It's essentially very lightly coloured copier paper (80gsm). I've got one that's Cream, and one that's called Steel Blue. I think these inks should all work well on one or the other of them, without looking too colourful or flouncy. I think the one ink that I'm least thrilled about is the Twilight (which I actually expected to be a favourite). It just seems a bit... ordinary. Today, the Teal and Twilight seemed more similar too. I think of the two, I'd certainly buy the Teal again, but will probably replace the Twilight with something else when it runs out.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #27 on: March 21, 2018, 11:48:21 PM
I'd imagine the writing experience is pleasurable as compared to say, ball point.  I'll have a look at the Diamine inks.  I need to send her a link to see which colors she's interested in.  I used to like to write in graphite but sadly like many things I've not written a letter in a long while.  I'm a lefty and boy would I smear pretty much any and all writing mediums  :D.   
Esse Quam Videri

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #28 on: March 22, 2018, 06:21:31 AM
I'd imagine the writing experience is pleasurable as compared to say, ball point.  I'll have a look at the Diamine inks.  I need to send her a link to see which colors she's interested in.  I used to like to write in graphite but sadly like many things I've not written a letter in a long while.  I'm a lefty and boy would I smear pretty much any and all writing mediums  :D.   

Yeah, I can imagine being left handed could get pretty messy with a fountain pen and slow drying ink  :D

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: March 26, 2018, 10:28:09 AM
I've basically gone back to my Pilot Birdie for my fountain pen of choice. The fine tip writes a very fine line but with my fairly irregular use it tends to dry up a bit and require a little help to flow again. With the squeeze converter that's easily handled. I haven't really dabbled in any other ink than what's available locally and that's a Pelikan royal blue. The added benefit of the royal blue colour is the availability of ink erasers. Works fairly well to be honest.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%