Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Greetings from Northern California!

us Offline NorCalJim

• No Life Club
Greetings from Northern California!
on: January 17, 2017, 06:41:39 AM
Hello all!  There is no special significance to my user name other than my first name is Jim.  I came up with NorCalJim while trying to sign up for a non-IPS provider email account and every combination I tried was already taken.  Finally, I thought of NorCalJim and that was accepted.

I was looking for an information resource for multi-tools and a few google searches led me here.  I am highly nostalgic and one day I recalled the various folding knives my grandfather used to carry.  I ended up getting a CRKT Northcliffe folding knife that looked nothing like my grandfather's knives but contained what I consider the essence of a gentleman's folding knife.  When it arrived, it surpassed my very high expectations.  I loved the way it felt in my hands, the ease of opening it (not a one handed opener) and appreciated that it had a locking blade.  If you are tempted to try it out, don't be put off by the relatively low cost.

More purchases followed (Spyderco, Kershaw, CRKT...).  At some point, I decided to pick up a Victorinox Tinker and soon realized that the two samples of SAKs I had in my youth were cheap imitations that damaged fingernails as the price for trying to deploy the tools contained.  The Tinker impressed me with its shiny blades that snapped open and closed with a snap...no damaged fingernails...just two layered joy with red scales. I didn't cut myself but I did get bit by the SAK bug.

I will spare you all my multi-tool saga except to say that I was bitten by that bug too!  Today, I can't tell you how many Swiss Army Knives I have any more than I can cite how many multi-tools I have or have given to family members.  I do remember my wife getting a Gerber multi-tool of unknown model designation just before Y2K.  It still is in perfect (unused shape) but other Gerbers have followed (e.g., MP400 & Suspension).  I bought some LM Waves for family members.  I have the Charge TTI & AL plus a quantity of Juice MTs (C2, S2, CS4, XE6 & Pro) with multiple copies of my favorites. There are also some unidentified MTs in the mix.  My last and latest MT purchase was the Spirit X and would probably choose that if forced to pick a favorite.  I'm glad that I am not faced with that choice since these MTs complement one another and I enjoy them for their various strengths and fun factor.

I am especially partial to Swiss Army Knives and favor the Explorer as my EDC.  The Minichamp II is my go to key ring tool with the LM PS4 seeing some key chain duty as well.  For awhile, I was collecting Super Tinkers until I discovered the Explorer with its magnifier and inline philips and went on an Explorer acquisition spree.  Well, this smattering of information should give you a general idea of my affection for MTs & SAKs.  This little emoticon cracks me up since it reminds me that I probably have a similar expression when playing with my SAKs:
 :climber:

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Greetings from Northern California!
Reply #1 on: January 17, 2017, 09:57:49 PM
welcome mate
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: January 18, 2017, 02:00:31 AM
Welcome to :MTO: Jim and you are at the right place for SAK and MT lovers :tu: :like: :like:

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #3 on: January 18, 2017, 02:27:13 AM
Welcome aboard!
I'm the milk man!

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #4 on: January 19, 2017, 01:59:28 AM
That emoticon mimics a lot of us when playing with a SAK!  :D

Welcome to the forum NorCalJim!  We have some great members in your neck of the woods, but you are a bit late as the absolute best SAK dealer on the planet just retired, and he's in Yuba City. 

If you like SAKs though, this is still the place to be.  Years ago I moderated a group called The Secret Order of the Swiss Army Knife (or SOSAK) on another forum.  It started as a joke, but it soon grew to be the third highest producing subforum on the site, way bigger than even the sponsored subforums!   :ahhh

From there I started a website called SOSAKOnline, which eventually morphed into an online monthly SAK magazine with new articles coming out every month.  About a year into that I started this site, and eventually split with the other forum due to the amount of workload of managing my own two sites and moderating on another.  Eventually I gave up the SOSAK name and started www.swissarmyknights.com as a place to archive all of the old SOSAKOnline articles, so that's maybe something you may want o check out if you are a SAK fan.  There's a lot of cool info and stories there, including one about a doctor who used a SAK to remove a plate from a patient's spine!   :ahhh

You may also want to check out www.SAKWiki.com for a lot more SAK info- it's also maintained by members here, so if you feel like you want to contribute/add/update any info there you are more than welcome. 

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline NorCalJim

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: January 19, 2017, 04:26:29 AM
Thanks to Styx, Poncho65, Captain Spaulding and Def for such a hospitable welcome!

Def, I appreciate you taking the time to give me such informative background information.  I had wondered about the Secret Order of the Swiss Army Knife--it sounded like fun (thanks for clearing that up)!  I love the Swiss Army Knight banner and continue to admire it like a kid with his first merit badge. 

I have found several helpful sites including SAKWiki and am continuing my SAK education with information gleaned from the members of this site.

Well done!

Jim
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 04:28:36 AM by NorCalJim »

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: January 19, 2017, 06:48:31 PM
Welcome aboard Jim    :cheers:

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #7 on: January 19, 2017, 09:06:10 PM
No problem Jim, I'm glad to help!

As for Merit Badges, that's a whole other thing.  If you go to the top of your screen and click on PROFILE, the AWARDS, then SHOW AVAILABLE AWARDS you'll see all of the Merit Badges we currently have available for members to earn.  Each one has a description next to it, saying how to earn them.  Once you have done what you need to do, you can request the badge by following the instructions here:

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,59292.0.html

:tu:

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: January 19, 2017, 09:17:22 PM
You're in the right place Jim.  Welcome to the forum. :multi:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline Bensasupertool

• No Life Club
  • Be like The Rifleman
Reply #9 on: April 15, 2017, 05:12:11 AM
Welcome Jim.  :climber:
CHECK YOUR SMOKE DETECTOR BATTERIES!  Everyone Needs a Halligan Tool.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #10 on: May 19, 2017, 04:10:06 AM
Welcome aboard.  :salute:
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

england Offline Guardian

• Unless
Reply #11 on: June 06, 2017, 09:26:52 PM
Welcome aboard  :salute:
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."
― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD