Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New 2017 Leathermans

Kampfer · 172 · 15984

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: New 2017 Leathermans
Reply #120 on: January 22, 2017, 06:31:09 PM
The Skeletool is a good platform as we've seen by Evils version of it.  I think adding the hammer and scissors is a great start to offering a tool that is more than just changing the color and putting a new bit in. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline NorCalJim

• No Life Club
Reply #121 on: January 22, 2017, 10:35:54 PM
The title of the thread is misleading, since I see no new items being offered. Half a Skeletool, half a Juice. I was excited to see that LM had new stuff, only to find out that they had too many spare parts and "innovated" by selling them as new. What a sad joke.

I'll have a look through the mod section here and pretend they're the new, exciting tools we've been hoping to see.

:like:

Great characterization!  Half a Juice...half a Seletool.  While it is true that manufacturers are in business to make a profit and some make unpopular product decisions, it doesn't lessen the disappointment caused by those decisions.  I'm still disappointed by Ford's decision to discontinue the Town Car / Grand Marquis / Crown Victoria line and don't get me started on Apple's less-for-more laptop strategy.  We have little control over manufacturers product decision other than vote with our wallets.  I like the Mac OS but don't like Apple's new direction so I purchased one of their older models.  I support Leatherman with my (many) purchases of their older models.  Maybe if enough folks did the same, LM would get the message.  Just my $.02!

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Reply #122 on: January 22, 2017, 10:46:44 PM
One guess is a matter of initiative. There have been people on THIS forum who could lead them in a much better, more competitive direction.
SAW

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #123 on: January 23, 2017, 07:59:06 PM
https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/222501

I realize there is a line LM needs to hold when it comes to feedback and listening to their customers.  I also understand that they ( LM ) needs to innovate and try to invent the next big thing.  The Tread and Signal were and are very polarizing.  Some here just complain and thats what they do.  Some have really excellent well thought critique.  Some could careless.  If LM is paying attention then where they really need to focus is QC.  Sure its fun when we see a tools like the freestyle stamped skeletool.  Its also fun when we get a tool with the same inside implements on both halves.  We are not the average buyer so that stuff is a novelty.  The average consumer gets that and wonders if anyone at LM is awake. 

They revamped the Surge and I thought the changes were really good.  I had waited to get the Surge initially because the announced changes.  I was and am happy with what they did.  The change to the Wave was also a very good one.  I do feel they could refine it even more and certainly being their flagship offering they can and should up the quality control. 

Do we need new and exciting every year?  Yes and no.  Innovation and creativity is always a good thing even if it flops IMO.  Thing is don't forget that quality will always win out with your core products. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
Reply #124 on: January 23, 2017, 11:01:59 PM
https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/222501

Well, it is risk and reward. Giving the customers what they want is the safer way to do business. Though I can see how a company being "stuck" once they go that route.

The half Juice / half Skeletool are totally uncalled for though. Not something customers want (IMO), nor anything innovative.

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #125 on: January 24, 2017, 02:33:24 AM
If they end up being cheap, I'll probably end up with one of the Skelefolders.... I guess I'm part of the problem :think:
I'm a total legend..... in my own mind- Herley

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #126 on: January 24, 2017, 02:39:59 AM
If they end up being cheap, I'll probably end up with one of the Skelefolders.... I guess I'm part of the problem :think:
Not in my book you are not. Also, SUP Higgs?! Long time no see man! How have you been doing?
Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #127 on: January 24, 2017, 02:48:07 AM
Seem like they'd make pretty good fishing/knock around the truck knives. I do like the Skele blade, but as has been said, they can't be expensive there's just too many great reasonably priced folders out. But I've been getting along bud, how about yourself?? Good to hear from you again.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #128 on: January 24, 2017, 02:48:18 AM
Higgs dude!

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

K-Tibbs

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #129 on: January 24, 2017, 02:49:04 AM
How you been buddy?

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #130 on: January 24, 2017, 02:52:11 AM
How you been buddy?

Not bad.  Hope all is well with you man :tu:
K-Tibbs

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #131 on: January 24, 2017, 03:06:12 AM
Same to you, missed this place!

us Offline Aberdrew13

Reply #132 on: January 27, 2017, 09:27:29 PM
Another "Second" for LM? These 1/2 tools have been made here for a while now, mostly with a better tool layout. I wonder if they had excess parts lying around?

Pete

THIS ^^^

SIGH. 

LM all you have to do is ask one of OUR modders to come up with tools for you  :pok:

UPDATE the WAVE.  R&D a Surge blade exchanger to fit the Wave and add the Rebar Plier head while you are at it.  Ditch the Serrated blade and add OHO scissors at the same time omit the small scissor and add an AWL.  Ditch the small bit driver an maybe add a Chisel?

Maybe off some other tool in BO?  I'd love to see the Crunch in BO.  Maybe offer the Crunch in a A100 configuration?  LM pruners?  Maybe re-design the Juice and offer it in BO?  I don't know I'm just spitballing here.

Chisel , can/Bottle/Packed Opener , and Hex bits

Hire this Man while you can LM  :pok:

No No , Im not worthy , A friend take all credit on this one...

:whistle: :whistle: :D
If my text is in blue, read it with sarcasm.  That is how it's meant!

us Offline Forklift

Reply #133 on: February 04, 2017, 05:36:15 AM
My apologies for keeping this dying thread alive.
I just don't see the half skeletool being successful.  I have a freestyle and love the blade, but as Grant stated earlier, I see the ergonomics being questionable when you reduce the handle width by 50%
Also, I don't see this being a big seller at Walmart.  At Walmart and similar retailers you are dealing with the uneducated masses that are not going to understand that this knife is a good value at $20. if it even makes it into the physical stores , how is it going to compete against the Buck Bantam which looks more like what most people think a knife should look like, not to mention how many fools will just buy the $3.87 Ozark Trail knife.
But why do I want the Juice B2 so much?  There is nothing special about it, but I love it.  It just seems so workmanlike/utilitarian.

us Offline gnosp

Reply #134 on: February 07, 2017, 03:02:34 PM
Does LM have new models in mind to replace their Charge TTIs?

es Offline alexTOOL

• No Life Club
Reply #135 on: June 08, 2017, 11:45:52 AM

Are we fortune tellers? :facepalm:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #136 on: June 08, 2017, 03:14:24 PM

What?  Is there something replacing the TTi's? Off to look at LM website.
Esse Quam Videri

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #137 on: June 08, 2017, 03:24:46 PM

Yes, we are, but we are paid to keep quite... or at least that is true for the mods here. 8)

Kidding apart:
I would say it is more likely than a new Wave. Reason, it is the more expensive tool and thus more likely to be worth to go into a further installment.
However, if I had to be guessing I would presume that the next tool in this size would be a "Signal" with 4 outside tools.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
  • "Survival must be earned"-Klingon Proverb
Reply #138 on: June 16, 2017, 08:17:32 PM
Well gang, I just got my ne Lime Green KBx from the Marlton NJ REI.  I must confess,,,,,,I  :like: IT!!!!!!  It's simple, not nonsense and the pocket clip/bottle opener ACTUALLY WORKS!!  PLUS!!  At the $24.95 price point, it won't break your budget either!! :salute:
A light and descreet tool worth thinking about. :think: :tu:

Maybe Leatherman's Ad department ought to consider pushing more of their knife line :think:  :think: :tu: :think: :tu: :whistle:
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 08:22:33 PM by BIG-TARGET »
"Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall;
 Some run from breaks of ice, and answer none:
 And some condemned for a fault alone." -William Shakespeare, King Lear (1608), Act IV, scene 6, line 169

us Offline Obi1shinobee

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Master LM Squirt Ps4 And Lord of Navitools
Reply #139 on: June 16, 2017, 08:18:35 PM
 :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

us Offline Wallace72

Reply #140 on: June 16, 2017, 09:27:50 PM
Well gang, I just got my ne Lime Green KBx from the Marlton NJ REI.  I must confess,,,,,,I  :like: IT!!!!!!  It's simple, not nonsense and the pocket clip/bottle opener ACTUALLY WORKS!!  PLUS!!  At the $24.95 price point, it won't break your budget either!! :salute:
A light and descreet tool worth thinking about. :think: :tu:

Maybe Leatherman's Ad department ought to consider pushing more of their knife line :think:  :think: :tu: :think: :tu: :whistle:

The new Leatherman knives seem better than I thought but I don't think they are as inexpensive as they probably should be considering what they are. Some arguably better knives are at a comparative price point. I think these knives would be pretty good around sub 18.  Is the liner lock part of the frame or a different part?

us Offline 4everYoung

Reply #141 on: June 17, 2017, 06:13:20 AM
I picked one up the other day as an impulse buy. I was kinda taken by how light it is.
I have been fiddling with it for a couple days and am able to flick it open pretty easily now.
I wouldn't carry it as a main knife, but it makes a very light and easy to carry back up.
I'm a fan of the Skeletool anyway, so I'm pretty comfortable with this one.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #142 on: June 17, 2017, 01:51:08 PM
I still believe this is LM's best, most inexpensive and greatest value folder

with -or without- the drivers

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #143 on: June 17, 2017, 07:33:46 PM
also,

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
Reply #144 on: June 17, 2017, 09:01:03 PM
also,

Instead of releasing those three, they should have made a half Wave or half Charge: two locking blades. locking screw driver, awl, and bit driver. They could have made them in stainless, Ti / Al scales... just like with the full sized ones. There must be a lot of Skele part leftovers and people with tons of free time at hand to come up with something like these.

us Offline Faddy Daddy

Reply #145 on: June 18, 2017, 07:55:20 PM
     If I heard right then the plain edge kbx has a 420 HC blade. If it is an exact copy of the skeletool blade I am seeing a way to easily get a plain edge for your skeletool.

This is exactly what I was thinking when I saw the new KB. If I ever did pull the trigger on a basic skeletool, I'd prefer a straight edge. I think I saw awhile back a (now non working) link on Amazon for replacement blades. I think you can still get a Damascus blade for $95 or so, (ouch) but yeah, if this is indeed the exact same blade it's a somewhat affordable (?) replacement blade.

First post by the way  :)

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #146 on: June 18, 2017, 08:59:46 PM
From what I've seen of members here buying them, the ones that bought them and liked them were already Leatherman fans anyway. Is there anybody here who wasn't already a dyed in the wool fan of the brand, who has bought one of these half tools and genuinely feels they are good tools?

Many folks are die hard fans who love anything that comes out of the factory, and I'm rather set in my opinions at the other end of the spectrum. It's the people who haven't already become set in their thinking that I'm interested in hearing from. I'm not trying to fan any flames here, I am genuinely interested in whether these are being well received by non-LM fans and new tool users, or whether there are relying purely on the name on the box.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline 4everYoung

Reply #147 on: June 18, 2017, 09:22:00 PM
From what I've seen of members here buying them, the ones that bought them and liked them were already Leatherman fans anyway. Is there anybody here who wasn't already a dyed in the wool fan of the brand, who has bought one of these half tools and genuinely feels they are good tools?

Many folks are die hard fans who love anything that comes out of the factory, and I'm rather set in my opinions at the other end of the spectrum. It's the people who haven't already become set in their thinking that I'm interested in hearing from. I'm not trying to fan any flames here, I am genuinely interested in whether these are being well received by non-LM fans and new tool users, or whether there are relying purely on the name on the box.

This is such a fallacious thing to assume. That because someone has owned other tools from a manufacturer that they could not offer an unbiased opinion of the current product.
Let's say this was about a SAK. Using your logic, you could not offer an unbiased review of any SAK if you already owned and enjoyed other products of this brand.
Expand this a even further and could vet a whole genre of products like knives or multitools. Then one could not offer an unbiased opinion on each their category if one already has products in either.

A review of a product compares and contrasts the attributes the user likes and doesn't like. So if someone says I like this tool because it fits my hand, is blue, has scissors, or because it makes women drool over it, then they offer an opinion based on their likes and dislikes of the product ;not brand loyalty.

Saying I like it because leatherman or victorinox made it would be the only instance you could accuse some of being biased because of brand loyalty.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #148 on: June 18, 2017, 09:38:17 PM

This is such a fallacious thing to assume. That because someone has owned other tools from a manufacturer that they could not offer an unbiased opinion of the current product.
Let's say this was about a SAK. Using your logic, you could not offer an unbiased review of any SAK if you already owned and enjoyed other products of this brand.
Expand this a even further and could vet a whole genre of products like knives or multitools. Then one could not offer an unbiased opinion on each their category if one already has products in either.

A review of a product compares and contrasts the attributes the user likes and doesn't like. So if someone says I like this tool because it fits my hand, is blue, has scissors, or because it makes women drool over it, then they offer an opinion based on their likes and dislikes of the product ;not brand loyalty.

Saying I like it because leatherman or victorinox made it would be the only instance you could accuse some of being biased because of brand loyalty.

Brands do bias opinion, positively and negatively. So does positive and negative experiences with other products from a given line. Me seeking opinion from someone who has no set prior opinion of the brand, upsets you? Sorry mate, I can't help you with that one   :salute:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #149 on: June 18, 2017, 09:39:47 PM
.... and yes, I do like it when new guys come along and share their views on their first SAK

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75
Site Currency: USD