Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New 2017 Leathermans

Kampfer · 172 · 15887

us Offline 4everYoung

Re: New 2017 Leathermans
Reply #150 on: June 18, 2017, 10:18:33 PM
From what I've seen of members here buying them, the ones that bought them and liked them were already Leatherman fans anyway. Is there anybody here who wasn't already a dyed in the wool fan of the brand, who has bought one of these half tools and genuinely feels they are good tools?

Many folks are die hard fans who love anything that comes out of the factory, and I'm rather set in my opinions at the other end of the spectrum. It's the people who haven't already become set in their thinking that I'm interested in hearing from. I'm not trying to fan any flames here, I am genuinely interested in whether these are being well received by non-LM fans and new tool users, or whether there are relying purely on the name on the box.

This is such a fallacious thing to assume. That because someone has owned other tools from a manufacturer that they could not offer an unbiased opinion of the current product.
Let's say this was about a SAK. Using your logic, you could not offer an unbiased review of any SAK if you already owned and enjoyed other products of this brand.
Expand this a even further and could vet a whole genre of products like knives or multitools. Then one could not offer an unbiased opinion on each their category if one already has products in either.

A review of a product compares and contrasts the attributes the user likes and doesn't like. So if someone says I like this tool because it fits my hand, is blue, has scissors, or because it makes women drool over it, then they offer an opinion based on their likes and dislikes of the product ;not brand loyalty.

Saying I like it because leatherman or victorinox made it would be the only instance you could accuse some of being biased because of brand loyalty.

Brands do bias opinion, positively and negatively. So does positive and negative experiences with other products from a given line. Me seeking opinion from someone who has no set prior opinion of the brand, upsets you? Sorry mate, I can't help you with that one   :salute:

Oh don't get it twisted. I'm not upset at all. It's just the opposite. Actually your post made me LOL. Probably should have been in the "what makes you laugh" thread.
Faulty logic always makes good material for the blooper reels. Keep up the good work.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #151 on: June 18, 2017, 10:31:08 PM
 :think: :shrug:

.... I'm pretty certain it's not my logic that's faulty here....

But anyway, veering back to rationality for a moment .... have we had any comments from anyone saying they've got one of these as their first tool from Leatherman? It would be interesting (and possibly hysterical for some members  ::) ) to hear why they chose that over other tools on the market, and what their views are on it after they'd received it and used it a bit

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline Faddy Daddy

Reply #152 on: June 19, 2017, 12:55:05 AM
Well gang, I just got my ne Lime Green KBx from the Marlton NJ REI.  I must confess,,,,,,I  :like: IT!!!!!!  It's simple, not nonsense and the pocket clip/bottle opener ACTUALLY WORKS!!  PLUS!!  At the $24.95 price point, it won't break your budget either!! :salute:
A light and descreet tool worth thinking about. :think: :tu:

Maybe Leatherman's Ad department ought to consider pushing more of their knife line :think:  :think: :tu: :think: :tu: :whistle:

Congrats Big Target, hope you enjoy. I too sprung for a green one, love that color. Unfortunately I'm not wild about serrated blades so I got a KBX as well :)

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #153 on: June 19, 2017, 12:58:37 AM
I picked up 2 myself and while I love the color I'm moving mine on.  They aren't horrible in hand but they are small ( no surprise ).  I still think keeping the driver bit would have been neat.  I didn't use the ones I got so I cannot speak to function other than to say they are simply a knife with pocket clip. 

* IMG_3108.JPG (Filesize: 18.74 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Faddy Daddy

Reply #154 on: June 19, 2017, 01:36:59 AM
Nice to hear Aloha, I mean that they appear at least adequate and especially that they are small and very light. I haven't gotten mine yet, they should arrive this coming week.
It's a rather long story how I came about ordering mine, but in short, I just like the looks of the blade shape and have been wanting something light. (Oh, and I love the green color as well :)
I know it's probably sacrilegious to mention on this forum, but I'm just not that into pliers. I'm one of those guys who has my most often used tools hanging up on a peg board in the garage, so they're very handy around home. When out and about I seldom seem to need pliers, and just don't care to carry the extra weight. I carried a Micra for years and years, until TSA confiscated it a year or two ago. Used it to cut thousands of tie wraps and open many boxes etc. I guess I just got used to the rather nice scissors for many of my small tasks.
Anyhow, I started missing them recently and went to the LM web page and have been pinning over all the tools for several days now :) I did order myself another Micra, and also a Style CS, (again, predominant scissors) and then came across their knife section. Honestly, I wasn't even aware LM had knives, I mean other than what's on their MTs, but I do love the company and products. I think I do still have a ST200 (?) lying around somewhere. It was given to me at work and I always used the micra instead as I didn't like carrying all that weight. But, even though I'd probably never carry one, I really like the looks of the Skeletool, especially the knife shape and as I'd been wanting a light folder, walla! Picked up the KB and a KBX. I think or hope it will make a good combo with the Micra or Style CS, at least for me and I don't think I'll even notice the weight of both in my pocket.
Course I also couldn't resist getting a Crater C33T, that might be the best of both worlds for me, time will tell I guess.
Anyhow, sorry for rambling but I for one am happy to see LM come up with some other non plier and lighter alternatives to enhance their line. I'm also tempted by the juices, but not in love with the new knife shape on those. That's one reason I like the skeletool.
Oh, one other thing while I'm rambling on. Reading on LM's web pages, the reviews for the stand alone bit kits are rather poor to say the least. Are those the same bits offered with the skeletool I wonder? If so, hoping maybe LM will up the Quality - many people talked of bending or stripping them, etc.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #155 on: June 19, 2017, 02:00:47 AM
Here it is with some hopefully familiar items. 
IMG_3119.JPG
* IMG_3119.JPG (Filesize: 247.23 KB)
IMG_3120.JPG
* IMG_3120.JPG (Filesize: 245.25 KB)
IMG_3121.JPG
* IMG_3121.JPG (Filesize: 259.87 KB)
IMG_3122.JPG
* IMG_3122.JPG (Filesize: 247.82 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #156 on: June 19, 2017, 02:01:51 AM
One more.

I carried it in my shirt pocket and it was incredibly light.  I think it will go unnoticed clipped to a pocket. 
IMG_3123.JPG
* IMG_3123.JPG (Filesize: 210.58 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #157 on: June 19, 2017, 02:46:32 AM
I am leaning toward getting one of the half Skeletool models myself :think: I won the Skeletool that I carry on here and if not for that would have probably never tried one because it was so different than what I was use to :o :D I am glad I won it as it opened a whole different world up to me about other styles of MTs as well :salute: I really like the Skeletool knife and it's blade shape more than anything on them and to have a knife that is made the same way seems a good idea for me :cheers: I do wished that they had kept the bit driver part though as that would have added a lot of utility to it to me :tu:

us Offline Faddy Daddy

Reply #158 on: June 19, 2017, 03:06:57 AM
Nice pics Aloha, really shows just how thin it is. I know it's not a big folder by any stretch of the imagination but it looks just right for what I want. I only wish they had various colors in the straight edge.
Agree with Poncho on the skeletool blade shape. Just something about it I really like. And yeah, I mean that is the same side with the bit driver on the skeletool, could the pliers handle maybe be needed for the bit driver? Maybe they were thinking it would just add to the weight and encourage people to just step up to the skeletool proper if the bit driver is needed.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #159 on: June 19, 2017, 07:26:50 AM
So the Freestyle is more what this KBx is that a Skeletool IMO.  The bit driver would have been a great addition.  I think they certainly could have engineered the tool with the bit driver.  Not exactly sure where LM was going with knife.   

As to the Leatherman bits.  Yes they are the same ones that fit all LM bit holders across the line.  MUT, Wave/Charge, Surge, Skeletool etc.  I find them really nice actually.  I honestly wouldn't be without them for my LMs that have the bit holders.  I have yet to have a situation where the bits have failed to engage or perform. 

Esse Quam Videri

wales Offline Smashie

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Smurf it!
Reply #160 on: June 19, 2017, 01:11:48 PM

I was thinking about the new LM tools last night, as yet again no sleep due to it being hotter than Satans' balls.

Like a few others on here I do like LM's offerings but I will also acknowledge their shortcomings.

Juice B2 - 2 functions - RSP £29.95

Juice CS3 - 4 functions - RSP £39.95

I've ignored the Skeletool variants simply because of locking blade. Yes it's the law in the UK and yes it makes no sense, not going to have that discussion again it's been done to death.

So that's £69.90 to carry two tools with 6 functions, remembering of course that the Juice is far from the best tool LM have ever made in terms of tool design and finish, when  you could carry a Victorinox Ranger RSP £47 which has 21 funtions, a lifetime warranty and better fit and finish.

So by carrying only one tool and spending £22.90 less you gain 15 functions.

I'm also not interested in what they sell for in the US as I can't buy them at that price after postage and customs charges.
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #161 on: June 19, 2017, 01:21:51 PM
     If I heard right then the plain edge kbx has a 420 HC blade. If it is an exact copy of the skeletool blade I am seeing a way to easily get a plain edge for your skeletool.

This is exactly what I was thinking when I saw the new KB. If I ever did pull the trigger on a basic skeletool, I'd prefer a straight edge. I think I saw awhile back a (now non working) link on Amazon for replacement blades. I think you can still get a Damascus blade for $95 or so, (ouch) but yeah, if this is indeed the exact same blade it's a somewhat affordable (?) replacement blade.

First post by the way  :)

Welcome to the boards FD.   :cheers:

Offline stugumby

Reply #162 on: June 19, 2017, 02:41:59 PM
Im happy with mine, have had them for a week now, love the juice B2, still trying to figure the best way to carry, proper use etc since its only a 2 blade. But the skeletool sbx is quite light and handy, slips into a pocket or clipped in just fine, easy to open, etc. Closest comparison knife would be a Gerber mini paraframe.

us Offline Faddy Daddy

Reply #163 on: June 19, 2017, 07:08:06 PM
     If I heard right then the plain edge kbx has a 420 HC blade. If it is an exact copy of the skeletool blade I am seeing a way to easily get a plain edge for your skeletool.

This is exactly what I was thinking when I saw the new KB. If I ever did pull the trigger on a basic skeletool, I'd prefer a straight edge. I think I saw awhile back a (now non working) link on Amazon for replacement blades. I think you can still get a Damascus blade for $95 or so, (ouch) but yeah, if this is indeed the exact same blade it's a somewhat affordable (?) replacement blade.

First post by the way  :)

Welcome to the boards FD.   :cheers:

Thanks Zoidberg.

Also thanks to Aloha for the reply to the bit durability question. As I said in another thread, I have read and watched a lot of reviews and never heard anything bad about the bits at all. It's only on LM's own web site.  I guess give them kudos for showing negative reviews but from what I've seen the online community doesn't seem to have issue so I won't let that sway my decision to pick one up  :)
I'm kind of worried if I could get used to carrying one around in my pocket yet they look so awesome. Wish the green came in a straight blade though, (talking about basic skeletool). I'm expecting my half skeletools to arrive this week! One KB and one KBX

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #164 on: June 19, 2017, 08:15:58 PM
Typically I like either PE or SE blades.  Combo edge aren't something I'd buy normally.  In this instance where its such a small knife and when this knife is likely to be carried as back up or secondary blade the combo edge is fine IMO.  The from portion for most cuts while the serrated for fibrous materials.  Most cuts will come from the front of the knifes so its not terrible. 

Those bit cards can be carried in a wallet.  Maybe not 2 but certainly one.  I've combined my most used bits into one card so you might find doing that works for you. 

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #165 on: June 19, 2017, 09:10:44 PM
LM is trying very hard to un-fan me.
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #166 on: June 19, 2017, 09:50:08 PM

:D

Aside from the Skele, I thought they'd already succeeded  :P

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #167 on: June 20, 2017, 07:38:48 AM
..... So that's £69.90 to carry two tools with 6 functions, remembering of course that the Juice is far from the best tool LM have ever made in terms of tool design and finish,
- When  you could carry a Victorinox Ranger RSP £47 which has 21 funtions, a lifetime warranty and better fit and finish.......

Very good points Smashie - Vic's are hard to beat in terms of number of tools per £££

And as you say the manufacturing and overall quality (and design IMHO)  is second to none !!
And the compact size / tool density is outstanding

Long live Queen Victoria 

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #168 on: June 20, 2017, 10:03:35 AM
Long live Queen Victoria 

Keep the Queen out of it. :) Victorinox is named in memory of Victoria Elsener (and inox). Nice and successful gesture too.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 10:07:14 AM by Vidar »
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #169 on: June 20, 2017, 08:48:31 PM

:D

Aside from the Skele, I thought they'd already succeeded  :P
I really like their Wave, Skeletool and budget SK/WM for pocket carry.
LM's small keychain MT are very nice as well.
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
Reply #170 on: July 01, 2017, 05:56:06 AM
I just looked at my Skele CX, and thought about these KB's. I think it would have been a better KB product if Leatherman just make the knife with the same thickness as a Skele. Instead of the cavity for the pliers, make it a compartment to store 2 bits, with the MUT's sliding pin as closure. Move the cutout bit storage design from the carabiner side over to store the 3rd bit. A knife with 3 double bits, I will buy it.  :tu:

Leatherman had such idea in the past on some of their knife designs, which were rather bulky.   

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #171 on: July 01, 2017, 02:23:05 PM
A knife with 3 double bits, I will buy it.  :tu:

A knife with a bit holder and clip that doesn't bother to try to be a bottle/hand opener. Put a couple of bits in a capsule on a key ring (or maybe with a tungsten steel capsule all on it's own with a lanyard- no officer, that's not a slung shot. Its just a container for screwdrivers)

I'd buy that in a heartbeat. The came so close to something good with the KB, it's really sad.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%