Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Straight Razors..............

Offline Ray S

• No Life Club
Straight Razors..............
on: January 19, 2017, 12:24:33 AM
Haven't seen a thread on straight razors so I thought I would put one up for your viewing pleasure. Please feel free to post any pictures of any you may have.
I first started collecting straight razors when I experienced a dwindling of the supply of good pocket knives in the area I was living.I also bought a couple of books relating to the collection of them and read any articles I could find. It became as fascinating as pocket knives.
Straight razors have been around for a long time and come in many shapes and sizes.They are normally sized by measuring the width of the blade at it's widest point and expressed in 8ths.For example a razor that is an 8 / 8 would measure a full inch(25.4mm)wide whereas a 6 / 8 would be about 3/4 of an inch and so on.
The blade shapes on early(ca 1800)razors normally have a straight blade whereas later examples have a pronounced curve to the blade and edge. The tang length is also a good indicator of the relative age of the razor;a long tang indicating later examples and a short(or sometimes no )tang indicating an early one.Pre-1800 models will rarely have a tang.
Handle materials are varied.Early examples are usually made of wood and rather plain. Later on they started to use horn that was either black(cow and water buffalo)or clear(possibly goat).Sometimes they would decorate the horn with tiny silver pins inserted in designs;a process called "pique work".This also helps date a razor as this was only in vogue for about a ten year period(1840 - 1850). Others might have a small silver shield attached to provide a spot for initials or a name.
Smooth bone also became popular as did other natural materials for high end razors such as antler stag;ivory;tortoise shell and mother of pearl. Possibly sterling silver or gold could have been used although I have never seen one with it.Also made were sets of razors;either in two,three,four, or seven day sets with blades marked for the day of the week on the spine of the blade. These are very collectible.
In the 1870's synthetics started to be used in lieu of natural materials such as Bakelite and celluloid.Bakelite was normally black or sometimes a dark reddish brown whereas celluloid could be moulded in virtually any color as well as clear. This led to some very fancy handles with intricate designs and figures such as mermaids and other mythical figures.
I also found a couple of razors that sported aluminum handles that looked to be original rather than replacements(have a couple of those too).It's possible because at one time aluminum was almost as expensive as gold due to the difficulty in mining it.
The heyday of the straight razor(in my opinion) was probably from the late 1880's to about 1920 or so.By then the safety razor had been perfected and was in pretty widespread use.Replaceable blades were inexpensive and the need to constantly hone a razor to sharpness was negated. By 1940 they were all but gone from the scene;although they are still in use by barbers and hair stylists,but most of those have replaceable blades for them.
There was also another facet of razors I didn't touch upon but may do so at a later time:that of so-called "corn razors".These are essentially miniature versions that are used solely for removing corns and bunions from your feet(NOT a good idea!).They also made corn knives which had the same blade but enclosed in a knife handle.
Anyway enough of history;here are some examples of the ones in my collection.This will take several posts due to the four picture limit per post.
2012Razoebox1.jpg
* 2012Razoebox1.jpg (Filesize: 144.11 KB)
2012RazorBox2.jpg
* 2012RazorBox2.jpg (Filesize: 150.17 KB)
2012RazorBox3.jpg
* 2012RazorBox3.jpg (Filesize: 136.49 KB)
2012RazorBox5.jpg
* 2012RazorBox5.jpg (Filesize: 144.55 KB)

Offline Ray S

• No Life Club
Re: Straight Razors..............
Reply #1 on: January 19, 2017, 12:25:41 AM
Page two
2012RazorBox7.jpg
* 2012RazorBox7.jpg (Filesize: 147.4 KB)
2012RazorBox8.jpg
* 2012RazorBox8.jpg (Filesize: 147.97 KB)
2012RazorBox9.jpg
* 2012RazorBox9.jpg (Filesize: 142.42 KB)
2012RazorBox10.jpg
* 2012RazorBox10.jpg (Filesize: 137.08 KB)

Offline Ray S

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: January 19, 2017, 12:29:29 AM
Page three
2012RazorBox11.jpg
* 2012RazorBox11.jpg (Filesize: 133.61 KB)
2012RazorBox12.jpg
* 2012RazorBox12.jpg (Filesize: 143.33 KB)
2012RazorBox13.jpg
* 2012RazorBox13.jpg (Filesize: 138 KB)
2012RazorBox14.jpg
* 2012RazorBox14.jpg (Filesize: 154.69 KB)

Offline Ray S

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: January 19, 2017, 12:34:03 AM
The last ones are two razors(pic#1 & 2)that date to 1800 or slightly earlier.The third pic is a horn handled one with a shield and the last pic is a WWII era Weck razor with a replaceable blade(still made today).Also it is all stainless allowing it to be sterilized in an autoclave if necessary.
RazorStuffMachinistsBox3 004.jpg
* RazorStuffMachinistsBox3 004.jpg (Filesize: 53.95 KB)
RazorStuffMachinistsBox3 008.jpg
* RazorStuffMachinistsBox3 008.jpg (Filesize: 54.83 KB)
RazorStuffMachinistsBox3 020.jpg
* RazorStuffMachinistsBox3 020.jpg (Filesize: 53.24 KB)
RazorStuffMachinistsBox3 022.jpg
* RazorStuffMachinistsBox3 022.jpg (Filesize: 50.49 KB)

Offline Ray S

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: January 19, 2017, 01:09:54 AM
Forgot to post the picture of a really nice seven day set I've owned for many years.Presented to a gentleman in 1899 the razors actually date to the 1850's when the company went out of business.
WW&R Razor.JPG
* WW&R Razor.JPG (Filesize: 15.17 KB)
WW&RBladeStamp1.JPG
* WW&RBladeStamp1.JPG (Filesize: 16.97 KB)
WW&RRazorSet.JPG
* WW&RRazorSet.JPG (Filesize: 38.9 KB)
WW&RShield.JPG
* WW&RShield.JPG (Filesize: 28.05 KB)

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #5 on: January 19, 2017, 02:06:48 AM
I always wanted to try a straight, just couldn't do it, but I ended up going to a barbershop to have it done but they used those refillable straights. Yet the one razor I live on whenever I do shave is the old school safety's.
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #6 on: January 19, 2017, 02:50:15 AM
Nice collection!   :tu:

I use straights and DE's.  I probably have about a half dozen straights. I also have an Universal Shavette from Italy that holds a full DE blade in it.

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: January 19, 2017, 07:39:57 AM
Hi Ray

Stunning as always!  :salute:

The one "antique" I do own is a straight razor, will post a pic

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: January 20, 2017, 02:20:43 AM
Great collection and pics Ray :cheers: :cheers: :like:

I love straight razors but I just usually use one of the new type as I only shave a little 1 time a week just to maintain the outline of my beard :D

Offline Ray S

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: January 23, 2017, 04:43:44 AM
Thanks for the kind words. I am not able to shave with a straight razor and have difficulty with a double edge razor due to some radical surgery on my throat about 16 years ago. But when I do shave(like about 15 minutes ago)I use an older Gillette Adjustable double edge.Works fine and I keep the blood loss to a minimum.
Here is a picture of my favorite straight razor that I bought at a yard sale for $20. A Wade&Butcher carved pearl razor still in the original box. The pearl is flawless and I don't think it has seen too many faces.
Wade&ButcherPearlRazor 001.jpg
* Wade&ButcherPearlRazor 001.jpg (Filesize: 64.13 KB)
Wade&ButcherPearlRazor 002.jpg
* Wade&ButcherPearlRazor 002.jpg (Filesize: 45.56 KB)
Wade&ButcherPearlRazor 003.jpg
* Wade&ButcherPearlRazor 003.jpg (Filesize: 40.94 KB)

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #10 on: January 23, 2017, 08:58:18 PM
those are fantastic. I'd probably turn my face into ribbons but still fantastic
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #11 on: January 23, 2017, 09:55:16 PM
Impressive collection Ray. I just have one straight, and one shavette.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #12 on: January 24, 2017, 05:54:25 PM
how's the shavette working out?
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #13 on: January 24, 2017, 06:08:39 PM
I've had a full beard for the best part of a year now, so none of the shaving stuff has been used recently. The shavette mostly got used for defining the edges of a goatee, as I still prefer DE shaving, both for ease and quality of shave. I have used the shavette for a full shave, but it's twitchy bum time, and didn't get as good a shave as with my Parker butterfly or Edwin Jagger.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

Offline Ray S

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: April 20, 2017, 12:57:12 AM
Thought i'd add this razor & strop I picked up this afternoon at a local antique shop. When I saw it sitting in the case I knew it was special.Examining it I was intrigued by the designs formed with circles cut into the horn handles.When I saw the tang stamp I knew it was going home with me.It says,"WOLF ACIER FONDU" which is French for Cast Steel. However the cast steel stamping was also used on early Sheffield made razors.From the shape of the handle(straight rather than slightly curved)and the shortness and width of the tang I knew it had to be from the early 1800's. The strop consists of a wood handle covered with a thin sheet metal box and drawer and covered with soft leather. I don't know if this originally came with the razor inside but it looks old enough to be correct.
Doing some research I found a listing for a John Shepherd in Holles Croft that manufactured razors with the stamp WOLF with a crown over it and the ACIER FONDU stamp. Upon closer examination I could just make out the bottom edge of the crown stamp. This company was in business from 1770 to 1795. On another site I found a picture of an identical razor with that stamp.
The pile side handle has a small piece missing but otherwise it is in pretty decent shape for a 200 plus year old razor. Price was right too: $19.50 plus tax(6%).

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%