Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Kershaw A100, use it or keep it pristine?

ie Offline plowjockey1

• A hammer is the father of all our tools.
Kershaw A100, use it or keep it pristine?
on: January 19, 2017, 12:59:56 PM
Late last year I did a bit of research on-line for a new MT. I have owned (and lost) two LM waves, but was looking for something with vice grip capabalities. I came across a video on the Kershaw A100, loved the look of it, functions, tools etc. Luckily for me somebody in Israel had recently come across a carton of them in a closed down shop and was selling brand new in the box Kershaw MTs with a leather sheath. They still have 1 left at a buy it now price of $199 if anyone is interested, they do like to haggle :ahhh

Mine arrived earlier this week, in the original box. 20 years old, still with oil on it. I put away the box and sheath, I made a sheath myself and now I'm having doubts about using it as my EDC. Am I crazy (no need to answer) should I put this away and buy a used LM crunch or something similar for EDC?

Yes it's heavy, long and all those (11) screws make it a bit ugly. But it does the job I want it to do, decent OHO blade, vice grips, philips and flat screw drivers. I haven't seen a LM crunch in the flesh but having to assemble the pliers every time puts me right off.

BTW I'm farming and it won't be long before this thing needs a bath, but we're still at the honeymoon phase so I find myself cleaning my hands before I take it out of the pouch :facepalm: So is this a MT to be used or should I put in a glass case and throw sugar at it?

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Re: Kershaw A100, use it or keep it pristine?
Reply #1 on: January 19, 2017, 01:11:32 PM
Use it.
Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: January 19, 2017, 08:11:10 PM
For some the enjoyment comes from USING while others OWNERSHIP.  I have tools that were bought with no intention of using while others I couldn't wait to use.  I have both a Crunch and A100 ( mine is in rather awesome shape ) I have used my Crunch often as thats exactly why I got it, while my A100 was strictly bought for OWNERSHIP. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #3 on: January 19, 2017, 08:57:35 PM
Have you used yet?
Nate

SEND IT!

ie Offline plowjockey1

Reply #4 on: January 19, 2017, 11:02:05 PM
Have you used yet?

Yes, tried it on a piece of hi-tensile wire, which it cut. I carry another knife for opening big bale silage, which stinks. Did anybody else on here get one from Israel?

ie Offline plowjockey1

Reply #5 on: January 19, 2017, 11:04:13 PM
For some the enjoyment comes from USING while others OWNERSHIP.  I have tools that were bought with no intention of using while others I couldn't wait to use.  I have both a Crunch and A100 ( mine is in rather awesome shape ) I have used my Crunch often as thats exactly why I got it, while my A100 was strictly bought for OWNERSHIP.

How do you rate the Crunch?

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #6 on: January 19, 2017, 11:46:41 PM
So is this a MT to be used or should I put in a glass case and throw sugar at it?

Use it. 

Despite what some people think (going by the prices they are asking), the A100 is not especially rare.  For most of 2016 I would see at least 1/2 dozen for sale at any one time on US ebay alone.  If you already own it and are happy with how it works then I say go for it.  I prefer the more compact size and less pointy pliers of the crunch, but if you are using the pliers frequently then the "always-ready" form of the A100 is definitely more convenient than constantly folding out the Crunch pliers.

The only other MTs with locking pliers I would suggest are worth looking at are the Schrade Vise Grips.  These come in 3 plier versions: Needle Nose, Blunt Nose and "Leg Iron" (large capacity for gripping round objects).  I don't particularly rate the Gerber Grappler (too fiddly to adjust the plier size and doesn't feel very robust).
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 11:51:09 PM by gregozedobe »
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: January 19, 2017, 11:47:43 PM

How do you rate the Crunch?

I like it a lot actually.  Nothing like having a locking plier when you need it.  The interior tools are sparse but adequate.  I like the 1/4 driver hole in the handle a lot.  Getting the tool open is a bit fiddly but if you plan to use the tool for extended period then just leave it open. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #8 on: January 20, 2017, 03:30:03 AM
I really want one, and am a farmer as well (well, farmhand), I probably use my MTs and SAKs for most of the same stuff you do.   I personally carry a pair of Petersen Vise Grip 6LNs with me every time I'm doing heavy work.  I prefer dedicated tools for my heaviest jobs--in my pockets are 6 inch Crescent wrench, a 7 inch pair of Proto linesman's pliers, and those Vise Grips, plus my SAK, knife (carbon steel), and/or MT.

It's advantages

Easy to release (all "Vise Grip" type multitools tend to lack that quick release trigger, and may need something to get them loose if you've got 'em locked down tight).
Light (like 3 oz. or so)
Cheap (I'm wanting a Schrade Vise Grip multitool and a A100, the Vise Grip tools are $50 plus used, and the A100s, $100, and that one had a bent blade tip).  Petersen Vise Grips, about $10 or less, depending on model and condition.

Disadvantages:

You'll have to carry an LM or SAK with the thing, plus a folder. I don't mind. 

Both have the disadvantage that LMs do--they tend to round off fasteners.  My 6LNs have stood in for a Crescent wrench all too often. 

I say wait until a good user for a great price comes along.  The tool you have is a brand new one, still in box, that cost me more than I'd ever spend on a piece for my collection and EDC rotation.    I'm currently after a Vic Tinker Small (with "CATERPILLAR" inlay for the famous heavy equipment maker), which I got new in box for $15, but really want a user.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 03:33:08 AM by cody6268 »

ie Offline plowjockey1

Reply #9 on: January 20, 2017, 10:16:56 AM
Thanks Cody,
 it's ppl like us that really appreciate a MT, they save us an odd long walk, and many short walks to the tool box. Rounding off bolts (fasteners) is a problem, but it's fine in emergencies to use it on a bolt. I'm trying to minimise what I carry, I used to carry a junior 5wr vise grip and a folding ex army pen knife, then I moved on to leatherman waves. I still have 2 used LM sheaths!

I think the A100 will cover everything, Well almost everything, a scissors and wood cutting saw would be good to have, the scissors mainly for cutting a half broken finger nail, and a saw for a bit of quick pruning or a stick from a hedge.

Greg,
 used ones are maybe not rare in the USA, but they are expensive and ebay is awkward (they've blocked us from bidding) when it comes to blades in the UK and Ireland, new ones don't come up too often. I wonder will Kershaw ever be persuaded to make them again? From reading around if an A100 broke, and the owner sent one in to them under warranty, Kershaw exchanged it for a $100 voucher, maybe they're doing research?
 I see Irwin make a vise grip now in China with a few tools attached but frankly putting the blade and the pliers at the same end was a bállsup. However it is cheap.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #10 on: January 21, 2017, 10:48:17 AM
Use it. just that. Do you want to pass on a pretty, expensive, useful and perfectly functional tool unused, oiled and unscratched when you pass away?! By no means!   :twak:

As a fan of Vise Grips and MTs, I own the Crunch, Schrades and A100. It is really useful, versatile, tough and a heck of a tool that begs to be used.

I say enjoy it, forget about the price, get every minute of joy and time out of it.

Although bulky and long I like it better than the Crunch, much faster and "ready to use".

Easily moddable, for that wood saw or scissors you want. Here the blade was replaced by a small flathead which I needed more those days

Or pair with a slim, simple SAK that has them, I did that for a while.

That OHO cuts like the dickens, sharpens in a breeze and is very quick yo open and close. Much more than any other Vise Grip MT blade. I believe if you're looking for a locking pliers MT is really hard to beat this one, so now that you have it, test it to honor what those Kershaw guys worked so hard on to make and produce!  :salute:

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

Offline Reese

Reply #11 on: February 14, 2017, 05:31:34 AM
Use it. just that. Do you want to pass on a pretty, expensive, useful and perfectly functional tool unused, oiled and unscratched when you pass away?! By no means!   :twak:

(Image removed from quote.)

As a fan of Vise Grips and MTs, I own the Crunch, Schrades and A100. It is really useful, versatile, tough and a heck of a tool that begs to be used.

I say enjoy it, forget about the price, get every minute of joy and time out of it.

Although bulky and long I like it better than the Crunch, much faster and "ready to use".

Easily moddable, for that wood saw or scissors you want. Here the blade was replaced by a small flathead which I needed more those days

Or pair with a slim, simple SAK that has them, I did that for a while.

That OHO cuts like the dickens, sharpens in a breeze and is very quick yo open and close. Much more than any other Vise Grip MT blade. I believe if you're looking for a locking pliers MT is really hard to beat this one, so now that you have it, test it to honor what those Kershaw guys worked so hard on to make and produce!  :salute:

man kershaw used to make some gorgeous stuff!!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%