Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

A call to all those interested in sending Leatherman a message.

Aloha · 109 · 4384

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
...  :multi:
multi-tools—folding contraptions fixed with all kinds of doo-dads

ca Offline Marc_in_NS

• No Life Club

your name says it all about LM...Kaput.....

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
(Image removed from quote.)

I would like another mini

That kind of sums it up right there.  We would likely come up with a tool made of a Carbon Fiber/titanium hybrid with diamond edged one handed opening blades and built in solar powered GPS, then complain when the MSRP is $80,000.

:facepalm:

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline Marc_in_NS

• No Life Club
(Image removed from quote.)

I would like another mini

That kind of sums it up right there.  We would likely come up with a tool made of a Carbon Fiber/titanium hybrid with diamond edged one handed opening blades and built in solar powered GPS, then complain when the MSRP is $80,000.

:facepalm:

Def

Oh Grant...

Price has nothing to do with it... it's about QUALITY...

Or any other adjectives i could come up with... i'll pay any amount of money, that is not the point.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Sure.

But what happens when you drop it in the woods and lose it?

I think I'd rather have an F Type Jag for $80k than a fancy plier tool.  :P

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline Marc_in_NS

• No Life Club
Good one Boss...

ca Offline Marc_in_NS

• No Life Club
...but really, people in the collecting or serious MT obtaining world do not really care about price/ Heck I do not... I only care about the hole in my collection or pocket.

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
I love mts and i love collecting them and using them but there is a limit to what i would pay for sure

ca Offline Marc_in_NS

• No Life Club
good point...

us Online cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
A couple ST300 variants would be nice, like forged carbon  tool steel pliers, not 420HC, with fixed, non replaceable cutters.   That milling out creates a weakness, which explains how mine broke (don't worry, it's been back from warranty for a good 5 months now).  Also, a model with scissors and a blade exchanger (ala Gerber Pro Scout) would be nice.

Revamped PST/PST II. Pretty much everyone I know who carries a PST won't replace it due to it's quality, function, and low weight.  In fact, I'm after a junker PST for a friend as part of the pivot screw fell out of his (it's one with the full patent number and  no date codes), to supply that part.

New Mini Tool as well.  Other than a sharper can opener and the file made narrower to fit No. 2 Phillips, I see no changes it needs.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
I know most people don't like the SIGNAL but I believe that is the frame of the future!

I would like to have a "Wave III" based on the Signal frame with 4 outside tools. For those not familiar with the Signal, its frame has room for more small-inside tools. Which would basically mean that you get the hammer implement with loosing only one inside tool (can-opener).

So
- "Signal frame" with 4 outside tools
- Drop the serrated blade for outside scissors
- Make the hammer a bit larger, maybe make it more like the hammer on the Mut
- On the inside: Bit-holder, awl, flat-pry-tool without bottle opener (there is already one with the clip), chisel
- Make a bit storage for 2 bits, instead of the firesteel/whistle
- Make a T&T holder in place of the knife sharpener. (better ideas are welcome)

I'd like something like this :tu:
K-Tibbs

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
If we do a secret forum I want in  :multi:

When does SOGs compound leverage patent run out? A compound leverage tool with stock LM quality implements would be great
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club

your name says it all about LM...Kaput.....
Well I haven't read the entire thread. But I'm not so sure I'm as angry as others. I fully agree the new releases this year are absolute turds, but they have sooo many great tools, customer service and warranty compared to EVERYONE else... to me they still have (most of) the best tools available.

:pommel:

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Just thinking out loud but i would like to see a MT is a steel similar to Spyderco's H-1 Steel. Take it anywhere, even salt water, no rust, no care required. Although i wonder how capable that steel is of being used for tools.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Here is an idea... Leatherman should make a Mini II (or pruner, or anything else) Kickstarter campaing. Calculate the cost and everything and see if they could turn a profit.

It is a win-win. If enough people pledge to buy that tool, then they make profit, if not, people will maybe complain a little bit less :D.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
To agree on the solution, we must first agree on the problem that we are trying to overcome

:tu: :imws:

And getting people on here to agree on something may be like herding cats!

:D

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
To agree on the solution, we must first agree on the problem that we are trying to overcome

:tu: :imws:

And getting people on here to agree on something may be like herding cats!

:D

:rofl:

One of my favorite sayings. 

Esse Quam Videri

es Offline microbe

• No Life Club
  • Yersinia Pestis & Campylobacter Jejuni!
A concept I would like to see is a Lego style MT. With the Tread, LM stated they would release multiple types of links, and a user could swap out and make his own link combinations based on his personal needs. We need a pliers based tool like this. An easy to take apart tool,for servicing or configuring in the field. (CRKT Field Strip knife?), with interchangeable heads, blunt, regular, needle-nose, shears, and a lot of interchangeable tools. They could sell pre-configured sets, aimed at workmen, outdoors-men, or office-jockeys like me  Or create fully pimped out configuration sets with various tools to spare and swap in as needed. Need to take a plane? Remove the blade (various blades in various steels should be available) and add in a little spoon tool a la Minichamp spatula for example. Some have a use for that?  With various material choices, there could be entry level stainless sets, or high end titanium or carbon sets made. Or you could buy the stainless, and upgrade bits and pieces down the line with every new paycheck, and have a whole world of customization open up. All the pieces should be on order separate. No more you lose the warranty if you take it apart, as it is made to take apart.
Once you go black you never go back
@blackdiamonds_42

es Offline alexTOOL

• No Life Club
I have an idea inspired on the Tread.

Cheap.
Versatile
TSA complaint
Wereable
Low Tech

But I don´t have the skills to get it real.

es Offline microbe

• No Life Club
  • Yersinia Pestis & Campylobacter Jejuni!
I have an idea inspired on the Tread.

Cheap.
Versatile
TSA complaint
Wereable
Low Tech

But I don´t have the skills to get it real.

Make it 50'% less wide at 50% of the price Basically, only make a half one. It would fit in well in their 2017 line.
Once you go black you never go back
@blackdiamonds_42

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
I don't know how much good a letter will do, but I'd be curious to see their profit/earnings.

Maybe they're still doing just fine with Wave and other popular tool sales... If they are in fact taking a smurf in the pocket book then that's an easy fix. As I said in a related thread: get some better designers on the payroll.
SAW

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
I don't know how much good a letter will do, but I'd be curious to see their profit/earnings.

Maybe they're still doing just fine with Wave and other popular tool sales... If they are in fact taking a smurf in the pocket book then that's an easy fix. As I said in a related thread: get some better designers on the payroll.
I don't know, those designers seem to be making a pretty good job. We might not like it but their recent offerings seem to be doing well.

The Wave is still the king and as long as it sells well, there is no reason for an upgrade/change. I mean the longer an MT is in production, the more profitable it gets.

Thread: Probably quite easy to manufacture, yet sells at a premium price. Added benefit is that there are probably far less warranty claims.
Skeletool KB/KBx: Think about it, its another product that does not compete with the current line-up and that is super easy for them to manufacture. Personally, I like the PE Skele blade and that it is soo light-weight. Probably going to get one. At any rate, it is most likely going to be profitable for LM, particularly because there was only a small initial investment required.
Signal: Like the Thread another stroke of genius. By changing the customer base they are able to sell the Signal at a higher price than the Wave (and I seriously doubt it is more expensive in manufacturing than the Wave).
Leap: Well, it sells better than the Micra/Charge/Rebar... Again, a tool that has a very strong customer base and probably does not take away from their other offerings.

See, the great thing about this line-up is, that it hardly competes with the Wave. I mean at the end of the day, most people buy either a Wave or a Rebar, either a Wave or a Surge. So, I think the design team did a good job, expanding the product line without generating competition for themselves. And while that might not be what we as enthusiasts desire, it is the logical thing for a company to do.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

england Offline Kev D

I'b be more than happy with a mini Surge, how hard can that be Leatherman   :pok:

+1 on that

england Offline Kev D

Bit exchanger and t-shank file/saw tool on the knifeless rebar. In fact, put them on all plier based tools big enough to house them as standard.

Surge - bin the flat blades and replace with a decent pry-bar/nail puller.

All the larger plier based tools should have the replaceable cutter plier heads on them from the factory.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return

I don't know, those designers seem to be making a pretty good job. We might not like it but their recent offerings seem to be doing well.

The Wave is still the king and as long as it sells well, there is no reason for an upgrade/change. I mean the longer an MT is in production, the more profitable it gets.

Thread: Probably quite easy to manufacture, yet sells at a premium price. Added benefit is that there are probably far less warranty claims.
Skeletool KB/KBx: Think about it, its another product that does not compete with the current line-up and that is super easy for them to manufacture. Personally, I like the PE Skele blade and that it is soo light-weight. Probably going to get one. At any rate, it is most likely going to be profitable for LM, particularly because there was only a small initial investment required.
Signal: Like the Thread another stroke of genius. By changing the customer base they are able to sell the Signal at a higher price than the Wave (and I seriously doubt it is more expensive in manufacturing than the Wave).
Leap: Well, it sells better than the Micra/Charge/Rebar... Again, a tool that has a very strong customer base and probably does not take away from their other offerings.

See, the great thing about this line-up is, that it hardly competes with the Wave. I mean at the end of the day, most people buy either a Wave or a Rebar, either a Wave or a Surge. So, I think the design team did a good job, expanding the product line without generating competition for themselves. And while that might not be what we as enthusiasts desire, it is the logical thing for a company to do.

I'm beginning to sadly see why it is that we as MT enthusiasts are in such a minority.  I do agree the Wave is their money maker.  Why fool with it?  Dipping their toe into other areas without taking away from the Wave is good business. 

I might be much to optimistic to think they ( LM ) listens.  When I think about companies like Condor for example who listens ( I do understand making a knife is a different animal ) I felt/feel LM would also listen.

So my message to Leatherman is simple,

Up your quality control so we don't have to field questions regarding issues that shouldn't be for the top dog.

Esse Quam Videri

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Pliers. All pliers. Offer a full and unimpeded main gripping area. If replacable cutters are used, make sure the cutting geometry is appropriate. Keep handle splay and ergonomic hot spots to a minimum, and let a range of hand sizes be used in testing this. These simple design aspects, and failure to recognise and follow them, are the main culprits which prevent Leatherman tools appealing to me. Fix those, and I would view the Rebar, Signal, ST300, and Surge far more favourably

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
I'b be more than happy with a mini Surge, how hard can that be Leatherman 

That's what I thought of. A Surge TTi, in the Charge chassis but with big scissors, blade exchanger and awl. Keep the Charge TTi blades. Voilà!

On the other hand, I'm not sure I would use that instead of the Spirit.

So I might ask for:

1. Tighter tolerances.
2. Shinny brushed steel.
3. No rust please. No rust, you hear me?
4. Musical opening and closing.
5. Springs! Individual and precise.
6. Rounded edges, for us that work mainly with our mind and our hands are better suited to women caressing than rope climbing.
7. Can you make it slim and slender? (That's a difficult one).
8. Add some kind of a ratchet.
9. Ask a reasonable price for it. By reasonable I mean less than 1/2 of what you are thinking (as your greatest antagonist does).
10. Finally, make it yodel, if you know what I mean.

Then I would (maybe) EDC it.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 07:41:03 PM by kkokkolis »

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return

I'b be more than happy with a mini Surge, how hard can that be Leatherman 

That's what I thought of. A Surge TTi, in the Charge chassis but with big scissors, blade exchanger and awl. Keep the Charge TTi blades. Voilà!

On the other hand, I'm not sure I would use that instead of the Spirit.

So I might ask for:

1. Tighter tolerances.
2. Shinny brushed steel.
3. No rust please. No rust, you hear me?
4. Musical opening and closing.
5. Springs! Individual and precise.
6. Rounded edges, for us that work mainly with our mind and our hands are better suited to women caressing than rope climbing.
7. Can you make it slim and slender? (That's a difficult one).
8. Add some kind of a ratchet.
9. Ask a reasonable price for it. By reasonable I mean less than 1/2 of what you are thinking (as your greatest antagonist does).
10. Finally, make it yodel, if you know what I mean.

Then I would (maybe) EDC it.

:like:
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Dear Leatherman,

Thank you for your multitools.

-kaput

us Offline metasyntax

Dear Leatherman,

Thank you for your multitools.