Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Nite Ize Inova key-chain lights

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Nite Ize Inova key-chain lights
on: January 21, 2017, 10:22:48 AM
I bought these on my last visit to the local Lowe's hardware store. I wanted to replace my current LED key-chain light with something a little lighter and possibly smaller. I was faced with a choice of two, and because I couldn't decide on which one, I bought both of them.

Inova Radiant Squeeze LED key-chain light.

Powered by two CR2016 3v Lithium batteries, the Inova Radiant Squeeze light is shaped much like a slightly over-sized key. With 4.2 lumens on tap, and with an operating time of around 10 hours, this little light source could be just the right thing for those times when you need a little light to shine the way. These key-chain lights are perfect for finding a keyhole in the dark, or more importantly for me, when I get out of the gun club in pitch darkness and I need something to shine my way to my parked vehicle.

Pros:
- Shaped like a key, so it should fit in better than those micro round lights that I am currently using.
- 10 hours of operating time equates to a long time before battery changing, especially for the sporadic brief times you would use this to get you out of a bind.
- Nice oversized constant press button with a good tactical feel. I also like the auditory feedback click of the button.
- Included nylon lanyard with a small Nite Ize S biner makes this an easy add on to your current key-chain.
- I don't have a light meter on me, but if this is 4.2 lumens, I would be greatly surprised.

Cons:
- CR2016 batteries can be a bit pricey.

Inova Microlight STS.

Now this is something a little different. There are no physical buttons on this unit. Instead, you get two touch capacitors that will turn the light on and off with a swipe of the finger. I was terribly curious about this little light. Slightly larger than the Radiant Squeeze light mentioned above, this little unit packs a few more features beyond the weird way to turn on and off this light. The Microlight STS features a high mode (16 lumens for 9 hours of operation), a low mode (2 lumens for 64 hours of operation), and a strobe mode. Each requires a swipe of the finger to access. The Microlight STS is powered by two CR2032 lithium batteries.

Pros:
- Less chance of activating this light with your keys.
- Several built in features.
- A Night Ize S biner is included.

Cons:
- My copy is not as bright as the Radiant Squeeze light. Mind you, this light came in one of those try to demo packaging which means you are usually cheated from getting full battery power from the get go.
- Need to swipe right to left to turn on the unit. Swipe again quickly should run you through the various other modes. Swipe left to right to turn off the unit. Swiping is a bit counter intuitive, and doesn't seem to work all the time. There are 2 little capacitors that you need to hit correctly for this light to work. Wearing gloves is a no go.
- No included nylon lanyard. The S biner is attached directly to the unit. I like to use my light from the keychain attached to my belt. This would constrain my usage method.
- Like the above, CR2032 lithium batteries can be a bit pricey.

Final Thoughts.

I was curious about the swipe to light feature of the second unit...but I soon realized when I brought both home, that the button version is easier to use, and is a lot less fiddly. I am unsure when all those features are needed on the STS, at least by me, when all I want is a simple light to work positively 100% of the time when I need it. Not sure when I would ever need a strobe, or even a low mode on something like this. I guess what I was looking for in the end was something simple. Because of this, the Radiant Squeeze light wins out for me.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 10:27:47 AM by Chako »
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Nite Ize Inova key-chain lights
Reply #1 on: January 21, 2017, 10:35:32 AM
Have you looked at Jetbeam Jet-u or mecarmy illuminex models? They are smaller than those above...

Has two modes... highest mode is 120Lm I think... USB rechargeable too...

Just to give some size comparison... mine is the mecarmy illuminex...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Online MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #2 on: January 21, 2017, 05:10:14 PM
I went with the nitecore tube, its 45lumens and also rechargeable, so no need to find replacement batteries, but they also came out with what's called the thumb, 85lumens, a swivel head, a clip, and also rechargeable, I've had my eye on it cause I could clip it to the brim of my hat unlike the tube that I keep on my keys..
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
  • One Day Closer To Death
Reply #3 on: January 23, 2017, 07:58:05 AM
i had one of those niteize swipe headlamps I got very cheap at lowes last year on clearance. yeah the swipe didnt always work, and the bracket broke after about 3 uses, so I returned it, was garbage, they should stick to the carabiners and other accessories, but I think they had bought out the inova brand.

I dont have the tube, but I think that would be a good option, or check one of my threads from past few weeks, nitecore tip is excellent or jetbeam mini which I think is same a mecarmy jayaman mentioned
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 07:59:13 AM by Blackbeard »
BB :B:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: January 25, 2017, 03:02:56 PM
The swipe does seem to be a bit of a needless gimmick.  Glad the other one suits you more.  As the others have said the Nitecore Tube is an excellent option over the button cell lights.  Other than being a bit bigger there really is no downside to the Tube IMO*.

*my opinion. ;)
Show content
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%