Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

ID for a Small Screw

Offline jaw52284

• New User
ID for a Small Screw
on: January 26, 2017, 02:46:38 PM
 I took this screw to several Home Depots to ID and they  all [/img]didnt have it and said was too small to identify,

If it helps its for a Wahl Trimmer 5537

And Ive seen the Wahl Replacement Screws on Sally Beauty but they have been discontinued

I lost one screw and its my brothers clipper and Im too broke to buy a new one!Thank you so much in Advance!!
Picture 1.jpg
* Picture 1.jpg (Filesize: 82.92 KB)
Picture 2.jpg
* Picture 2.jpg (Filesize: 80.17 KB)
Picture 3.jpg
* Picture 3.jpg (Filesize: 85.99 KB)
Wahl Back**.jpg
* Wahl Back**.jpg (Filesize: 61.55 KB)

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: ID for a Small Screw
Reply #1 on: January 26, 2017, 02:58:17 PM
Ah screws.... thou are a fickle thing....

Your only real choices (in my opinion anyway) are as follows:

1- Contact the manufacturer, retailer or distributor and see if they have any parts available, or suggestions on where parts may be located.  This is perhaps your best bet.

2- If option #1 fails, you can try to identify the size, pattern etc of the screw using something like THIS INFO from a place like Bolt Depot.  From there, you can try contacting hardware stores, fastener distributors (Fastenal is the one I use most), eBay or other sources to see if you can find something close enough that will work.  If you are lucky, you may have a knowledgeable enough guy at your local Home Depot (or equivalent) that can measure your screw for you and provide proper info for you, but this is really a bit of a desperation option and #1 is a much better bet.

Sorry I can't be of more help, but this is a problem I have run into on a number of occasions, and it is often easier to find another solution (JB Weld or epoxy resin perhaps?) than it is to find the right screw if the manufacturer, distributor or retailer can't help you.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline aldman

Reply #2 on: January 26, 2017, 03:48:47 PM
Jezz....Fuzzy pics, but from what I see, it looks like a typical chinese "rough" tread small screw.

I say rough because the tread it's too big to be a machined screw and to small to be a wood/metal screw. They use them all over the place and if you are like me, taking non working junk apart to fix them, you end up with a jar full of them.

Your best bet would be to replace them. If it screws into metal, you could tap the hole for a slightly larger machined screw. If it crews into platics, taping is optional, but recommended. While you are at it, get three screws, replace both of them and keep a spare!

The only thing you really need to be careful is: Keep the same overall lenght and be sure that the screws have blunt tips.

Happy repairs!
Been there, done that, got the T-Shirt and the Hat, but what I'd give to go back...

us Offline Kampfer

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #3 on: January 26, 2017, 07:17:20 PM
For odds and ends, you will have better luck st Ace hardware
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

us Offline valvestem125

• You only go this way once.
Reply #4 on: January 27, 2017, 04:54:49 AM
Take the screw to a fastener supply house like K.L. Jack, and they probably can match it up.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $81.95
PayPal Fees: $4.26
Net Balance: $77.69
Below Goal: $222.31
Site Currency: USD
26%