Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Advice on Mod for Boker Tech Tool

Offline Gearmark11

Advice on Mod for Boker Tech Tool
on: May 13, 2020, 04:31:06 PM
Hi,

I want to get a Victorinox mini screw driver and other accessories that fit in a Victorinox corkscrew to fit in the corkscrew on Boker Tech Tool. The diameter of the corkscrew on the Tech Tool is smaller than a Victorinox (more accurately I think the actual metalwork is thicker, making the diameter smaller) and the mini screw driver will only fit about 1.5 revolutions. Any advice on how I could thin the Tech Tool's corkscrew would be appreciated. I don't think gust filing the inside diameter would work but I'm open to suggestions.

Many thanks!

pt Offline FInixNOver

Re: Advice on Mod for Boker Tech Tool
Reply #1 on: May 13, 2020, 07:45:26 PM
You should mod the mini screwdriver instead!
Easier to do, and cheaper to replace!!

Enviado do meu Redmi Note 5 através do Tapatalk

Offline Gearmark11

Reply #2 on: May 13, 2020, 08:49:29 PM
You should mod the mini screwdriver instead!
Easier to do, and cheaper to replace!!

Thanks, I would do that but I also want to add the Tortoise Gear Fire Ant and Helix Tinder. It is sized to fit in the Victorinox corkscrew and I don't think it is possible to mod.

za Offline Max Stone

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: May 13, 2020, 10:36:02 PM
It would be a lot of work, but you could use a round needle file and come in diagonally from the outside and work your way around the CS. This will effectively enlarge the central section. But you also need to check the pitch of the screw matches, or else it will still bind. Dremel does a small polishing pad that you can use to get the surface shiny again.

Good luck, also a backer of the Fire Ant. Can’t wait to get mine...  :cheers:
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

Offline Gearmark11

Reply #4 on: May 13, 2020, 10:58:38 PM
It would be a lot of work, but you could use a round needle file and come in diagonally from the outside and work your way around the CS. This will effectively enlarge the central section. But you also need to check the pitch of the screw matches, or else it will still bind. Dremel does a small polishing pad that you can use to get the surface shiny again.

Good luck, also a backer of the Fire Ant. Can’t wait to get mine...  :cheers:

Great thanks Max! I will give that a try.  :climber:

pt Offline FInixNOver

Reply #5 on: May 14, 2020, 10:07:03 AM
Thanks, I would do that but I also want to add the Tortoise Gear Fire Ant and Helix Tinder. It is sized to fit in the Victorinox corkscrew and I don't think it is possible to mod.
I see...
Then I'm afraid I'm not much help, but there are some very knowledgeable guy in here.
You'll get good advice, I'm sure!
And good luck!

pr Offline Juan el Boricua

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: May 15, 2020, 08:30:59 PM
Gearmark, could it be possible to replace the Boker's CS from a SAK's? Just a thought.
 :dunno: :shrug:

Offline Gearmark11

Reply #7 on: May 16, 2020, 02:34:33 PM
Gearmark, could it be possible to replace the Boker's CS from a SAK's? Just a thought.
 :dunno: :shrug:

That's what I was wondering. Does anyone here have experience swapping out tools on a Boker?

us Offline ChopperCharles

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: May 23, 2020, 11:07:27 PM
I swapped out the stupid serrated blade for a victorinox Phillips driver. Required a bunch of filing to get it to fit. I also sanded down an eyeglass driver to fit in the corkscrew. It was a lot of work too.

The Boker is dog simple to mod, being screwed together. Grab a spare Vic corcksrew and see. BUT if my memory serves the square tang on the Boker corkscrew is both thicker and bigger. Thicker can be fixed with a thin washer. But the bigger tang means if you use the Vic corkscrew in its place, the backspring “snap” for the bottle opener and serrated blade will be diminished somewhat. If you can live with all of that, a 91mm corkscrew will otherwise fit.

I’m not sure if the 111mm corkscrews are different than the 91mm. If they are that might be another option.

Charles.

Offline Gearmark11

Reply #9 on: May 23, 2020, 11:46:14 PM
I swapped out the stupid serrated blade for a victorinox Phillips driver. Required a bunch of filing to get it to fit. I also sanded down an eyeglass driver to fit in the corkscrew. It was a lot of work too.

The Boker is dog simple to mod, being screwed together. Grab a spare Vic corcksrew and see. BUT if my memory serves the square tang on the Boker corkscrew is both thicker and bigger. Thicker can be fixed with a thin washer. But the bigger tang means if you use the Vic corkscrew in its place, the backspring “snap” for the bottle opener and serrated blade will be diminished somewhat. If you can live with all of that, a 91mm corkscrew will otherwise fit.

I’m not sure if the 111mm corkscrews are different than the 91mm. If they are that might be another option.

Charles.

Thank you Charles, that's great advice. I am going to swap out the serrated blade with a Vic can opener. That looks fairly straightforward. I wonder if I can file down the 91mm corkscrew to overcome that?

us Offline ChopperCharles

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: May 24, 2020, 12:31:16 AM
No you misunderstand. The Boker is bigger in all tang dimensions. The size of the Boker is larger, so it pushes up on the bottom of the backspring stronger than the Vic one will. Since the Vic is smaller it will make the spring action less strong. Fortunately the Boker has really strong backsprings to begin with.

The only way to do it right would be to weld a little material onto the Vic tang, and then file it down flat.

OR chock the stock corkscrew into a lathe and drill down the center.

If you want to send me the Boker corkscrew, the fire piece you want inside, and return postage, I will attempt to mod the Boker corkscrew for you. It’s a delicate operation though and I can’t guarantee it won’t break in the process. But if you’re not happy with the Vic corkscrew it would be worth a shot.

Charles.

00 Offline roamingcat

Reply #11 on: January 13, 2024, 11:23:06 AM
Didn't have a spare Vic can opener so decided to mod the finger cutter itself. Couldn't be happier with the result. I also filed off the serration so it won't cut off my finger! Now it is perfect, for me.

iMarkup_20240107_091857.jpg
* iMarkup_20240107_091857.jpg (Filesize: 84.99 KB)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2024, 12:13:43 PM by roamingcat »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD