Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Vintage R&H pipe smoker's multi-tool (circa 1970s)

ca Offline PyroJames

• No Life Club
Vintage R&H pipe smoker's multi-tool (circa 1970s)
on: November 27, 2008, 05:06:05 AM
OK, this really doesn’t fall into the traditional, mainstream “pliers-scissors-screwdriver” multi-tool category but it’s still a neat multi-tool so I thought I’d share it with you guys.  It shows us that multi-tools can be of all shapes and sizes. 

My father was a BIG tobacco smoker back in the 1970’s and 80’s.  According to him, he would smoke cigarettes in the morning, a cigar for lunch and a pipe in the evening.  He quit smoking in the late 1980’s and about 10 years ago, gave me an assortment of cigarette lighters, cigar cutters and pipe tools.  I never really looked at them and always kept them in a cigar box but this past month, I rummaged through the box to see what I had.  When I saw this neat little item, the first thing I thought was “cool, it’s like a mini multi-tool.”

Made by Italian tool maker “R&H” (as stamped on the blade but I don’t know the full name of the company), this stainless steel, pipe smoker’s multi-tool measures 2 1/3 inches long closed and 4 ½ inches open.  Two of these side-by-side would be about the same size as a Gerber Clutch.  (see above picture)

Simple in both form and function, this tool only features four tools: a plain-edge sheepsfoot blade, a curved tamper head, a tapered spike and a church key bottle opener.  While more tools would’ve been better, these are the only tools a pipe smoker really needs so the tool manages to maintain a nice compact size by sticking to the bare essentials. 

Functionality is really simple.  For pipe smokers, the blade allows you to cut open tobacco pouches and chop up tobacco while the tamper packs the tobacco into the pipe chamber.  The edge of the knife is fairly small (only 1 inch long) but I still find that it can easily cut open boxes, packages, envelopes and twine like a hot knife through butter.  After 30 years, it still holds a razor sharp edge.

The spike is my favourite feature on this tool.  Pipe smokers would normally use this to stir the pipe chamber (bowl) or pick and scrape out the ash but as a cigar smoker, I find this spike incredibly handy at clearing plugged cigars.  Simply insert the spike into either the head or foot of a plugged cigar, rotate it a few times and you have a much-improved draw from your cigar.  Of course, it can also function as a regular awl for making holes in a belt, loosening tight knots, ice-pick, lock pick, etc.  Heck, it can even been used as a deadly last resort self-defence weapon!

For such a small tool, the double church key bottle opener is also remarkably efficient at effortlessly prying off bottle caps.  (Double the bite, double the power!)  The metal loop can not only lock the tools in place but also serves as a key ring to attach a small flashlight or set of keys.  Pushing the metal loop down will lock the tools in place in either the open or closed position.

This particular multi-tool is vintage but cigar stores and tobacconists still carry similar tools for less than $10.  A similar version is made by Rodgers of Sheffield, UK. 

If you’re a pipe smoker or a cigar smoker, this tool is a must have.  If you’re a multi-tool or gadget fanatic, you might also appreciate this tool.

Anyways, I just thought I’d share this neat tool with you guys.   :)
« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 01:16:28 AM by PyroJames »
This is called a Swiss Army Knife. Do you know what Switzerland is? Switzerland is a place where they don't like to fight, so they get people to do their fighting for them while they ski and eat chocolate. - Larry David

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Vintage R&H pipe smoker's multi-tool (circa 1970s)
Reply #1 on: November 27, 2008, 05:56:15 AM
 :tu: Very nice review and great pics :D I like it, it is a simple yet sleek looking tool that is also very functional

us Offline donvito

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: November 27, 2008, 07:28:34 AM
Classy and elegant, nice one thx.  :cheers:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: November 27, 2008, 11:04:43 AM
Very nice review.  Am I right in thinking that the blade must be open to let you use the cap lifter?
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #4 on: November 27, 2008, 11:19:59 AM
Neet gizmo! And great pics on it!
S

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #5 on: November 27, 2008, 12:22:20 PM
Oooo I like that.  :drool:
I'm back!!

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #6 on: November 27, 2008, 04:46:36 PM
I have a similar one, but it only has a blade and a "tamper head"..never knew what that was called until this thread.  It was my grandfathers, and over the years it somehow came into my possession and is now on a lanyard along with my magnesium black and flint.  The blade is the perfect size and shape to scrape magnesium and strike the flint.  Mine says "Half & Half" on the side..not sure who manufactured it though.

And where did you get that little keychain "Zippo" lighter?
[

Offline american lockpicker

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: November 27, 2008, 06:46:14 PM
Nice keys, its not too often I see an Abloy key and what looks like a Medeco key together outside of a lockpicking site.
(

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #8 on: November 27, 2008, 06:49:14 PM
Now that is a natty wee tool mate :)

Great review :tu:
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

ca Offline PyroJames

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: November 27, 2008, 08:24:47 PM
Thanks for the feedback, guys!    :cheers:

Very nice review.  Am I right in thinking that the blade must be open to let you use the cap lifter?

Hi Gareth.  Yes, you need to swing the tools out in order to use the bottle opener.  It's still surprisingly comfortable to hold and use because you can pivot the tools down into your palm or pivot them up (like a V) so the blade doesn't cut your hand up when you're opening a bottle.

I have a similar one, but it only has a blade and a "tamper head"..never knew what that was called until this thread.  It was my grandfathers, and over the years it somehow came into my possession and is now on a lanyard along with my magnesium black and flint.  The blade is the perfect size and shape to scrape magnesium and strike the flint.  Mine says "Half & Half" on the side..not sure who manufactured it though.

And where did you get that little keychain "Zippo" lighter?

Corrugated, that's a good idea using it with a firestarter.   :tu:  You're right, this type of tool is the perfect size and shape for it.  As for the mini zippo, my brother actually gave me that lighter a few years ago.  It's one of those knick-knack keychains you would find for sale near the cash register at any hardware store.  It actually works really well but the reservoir probably holds maybe a teaspoon of lighter fluid at most.

Nice keys, its not too often I see an Abloy key and what looks like a Medeco key together outside of a lockpicking site.

Good eye, american lockpicker!  That is a Medeco key pictured with the Abloy.  They're my actual house keys.  :)

This is called a Swiss Army Knife. Do you know what Switzerland is? Switzerland is a place where they don't like to fight, so they get people to do their fighting for them while they ski and eat chocolate. - Larry David

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: November 28, 2008, 05:21:48 AM
Great find there PJ! Excellent pictures too!  8)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

ca Offline PyroJames

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: November 29, 2008, 01:42:24 AM
Thanks, J-sews!   :cheers:  It's the first time I posted a review for something on any forum so I wanted to make sure the pictures came out well.

00 Offline Freudian Frog

• No Life Club
  • I just don't know what went wrong.
Reply #12 on: November 29, 2008, 01:52:46 AM
I want one! CurseyoU! As if I didn't have enough stuff I wanted!
Got those frog legs.

us Offline EZ822

Reply #13 on: November 29, 2008, 03:38:31 PM
Nice to see different and unique tools. Very cool PJ.
Erick

ca Offline PyroJames

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: November 30, 2008, 10:49:32 PM

:D

Thanks, e-dog. I have a few more multi-tool gadgets that I would love to share with you guys.

us Offline donvito

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: November 30, 2008, 11:50:41 PM

:D

Thanks, e-dog. I have a few more multi-tool gadgets that I would love to share with you guys.

Please do, looking forwards to your reviews. Thx V.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #16 on: December 02, 2008, 03:37:17 AM
Yah man, bring 'em on! :drool:
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

ca Offline PyroJames

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: December 02, 2008, 05:13:26 AM
Alright, I'll work on some reviews right away!  :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $139.46
PayPal Fees: $8.05
Net Balance: $131.41
Below Goal: $168.59
Site Currency: USD
44%