Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Lifestraw Go bottle.

Aloha · 17 · 1037

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Lifestraw Go bottle.
on: January 29, 2017, 10:35:56 PM
Picked up a Lifestraw Go single stage ( no carbon ) filtration bottle system.  I got a terrific deal so I figured it would be great to use as a water bottle ( filter detached ).   When I should run out of water and need a refill I'd reattach the filter and be good to go.  The pdf http://cdn.lifestraw.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Lifestraw-Evidence-Dossier4.pdf from Lifestraw regarding what this particular system filters out it pretty impressive. 

Anyone got one?  Anyone got a Lifestraw?   
IMG_2218.JPG
* IMG_2218.JPG (Filesize: 173.75 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Re: Lifestraw Go bottle.
Reply #1 on: January 29, 2017, 10:46:42 PM
Haven't got one, but have been curious about them. Do keep us posted with your experiences.  :salute:

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: January 29, 2017, 11:00:59 PM
For what it is the Lifestraws seem like good products but a part of me hates them because of all the hype they seem to get for all the wrong reasons. From time to time they pop up in my social media feeds as the revolutionary way to bring water to African communities that don't have their own wells or where the water is unpotable. The problem here is of course that a Lifestraw wont give you water for cocking due to the straw design and as such it's at best a temporary solution. This might be problematic in hiking/outdoors scenarios as well if you bring freeze-dried food. But for a disaster-kit it might be very well suited (or indeed for a water bottle).
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 11:02:14 PM by Fortytwo »

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #3 on: January 29, 2017, 11:22:04 PM
I am really interested in getting a good water filter, so I am happy to hear what you think of it.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: January 30, 2017, 09:46:42 AM
TBH, would've thought this is a good idea up until the week I spent having to filter every drop I drink.

That said, it might be different for people starting with cleaner water, my problem was the constant back-washing required.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: January 30, 2017, 09:56:00 AM
A pump type filter is certainly easier.  Boiling is always a great choice however when temperatures are high boiling water just sounds bad. 
Esse Quam Videri

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: January 30, 2017, 05:55:00 PM
TBH, would've thought this is a good idea up until the week I spent having to filter every drop I drink.

That said, it might be different for people starting with cleaner water, my problem was the constant back-washing required.

I imagine that would have been a real pain in the arse for sure!

Still, I'll bet it was better than trying to carry 5 days' worth of water with you from the get go!   :ahhh

BTW, if it helps any, I re-read that thread just a couple of days ago and was in awe over such a cool adventure all over again!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: January 30, 2017, 05:58:25 PM
A pump type filter is certainly easier.  Boiling is always a great choice however when temperatures are high boiling water just sounds bad.

I don't think its the boiling per se, it seems to me that it would be the lack of cooling that would be the problem.  I would think that water would stay hot for hours, at least where Gerhard went.

Def

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: January 30, 2017, 06:58:50 PM

I don't think its the boiling per se, it seems to me that it would be the lack of cooling that would be the problem.  I would think that water would stay hot for hours, at least where Gerhard went.

Def

Yes, for most of SoCal as well.  We will hit 75F today and boiled water while life saving in an survival situarion would be hard to drink until cooled.     
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: January 30, 2017, 07:32:43 PM
For what it is the Lifestraws seem like good products but a part of me hates them because of all the hype they seem to get for all the wrong reasons. From time to time they pop up in my social media feeds as the revolutionary way to bring water to African communities that don't have their own wells or where the water is unpotable. The problem here is of course that a Lifestraw wont give you water for cocking due to the straw design and as such it's at best a temporary solution. This might be problematic in hiking/outdoors scenarios as well if you bring freeze-dried food. But for a disaster-kit it might be very well suited (or indeed for a water bottle).

I am not fully aware of Lifestraws activities nor if any are making a difference or not.  What I can say is Lifestraw is not the best on the market for sure.  I personally like the Grayl bottle filtration system however living in the US I should be fine with the one I have even not filtering viruses ( I have iodine tablets ).  The Grayl is about $60 which is still decently priced considering what it can do.   As mentioned I have iodine just in case and I can always boil which is always best based on this table https ://www.cdc.gov/healthywater/pdf/drinking/Backcountry_Water_Treatment.pdf

As for cooking water in the back country, I always fill a pot and boil that water for cooking ( pre filtering / disinfecting ).  The reason I picked this up is because I couldn't pass on the deal.  I was offered this bottle for $3.00 US.  So as you can see it was a no brainer for me. 

I carry a hydration pack on long hikes ( half day ) and for shorter hikes ( few hours ) I carry a 40oz stainless bottle along with a platypus foldable bottle.  I figured this filter system would be back up to my hydration pack for those longer hikes.  I think we are also very much on the same page in terms of this being ok for emergency usage.  It doesn't filter out chemicals however.       

I agree this filter system has limits but I feel its better IMO than the Straw version.  Water disinfecting and filtration is getting easier with newer product on the market.  Multiple means to accomplish it is always my approach.

I appreciate your views and all views as it always helps me see clearer my direction and course of action.     
Esse Quam Videri

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: January 30, 2017, 07:46:43 PM

I am not fully aware of Lifestraws activities nor if any are making a difference or not.  What I can say is Lifestraw is not the best on the market for sure.  I personally like the Grayl bottle filtration system however living in the US I should be fine with the one I have even not filtering viruses ( I have iodine tablets ).  The Grayl is about $60 which is still decently priced considering what it can do.   As mentioned I have iodine just in case and I can always boil which is always best based on this table https ://www.cdc.gov/healthywater/pdf/drinking/Backcountry_Water_Treatment.pdf

As for cooking water in the back country, I always fill a pot and boil that water for cooking ( pre filtering / disinfecting ).  The reason I picked this up is because I couldn't pass on the deal.  I was offered this bottle for $3.00 US.  So as you can see it was a no brainer for me. 

I carry a hydration pack on long hikes ( half day ) and for shorter hikes ( few hours ) I carry a 40oz stainless bottle along with a platypus foldable bottle.  I figured this filter system would be back up to my hydration pack for those longer hikes.  I think we are also very much on the same page in terms of this being ok for emergency usage.  It doesn't filter out chemicals however.       

I agree this filter system has limits but I feel its better IMO than the Straw version.  Water disinfecting and filtration is getting easier with newer product on the market.  Multiple means to accomplish it is always my approach.

I appreciate your views and all views as it always helps me see clearer my direction and course of action.     

My views are highly unskilled and heavily biased by viral social media posts. I just wanted to get that rant out of me while it was at least tangential to the topic. The bottle system seems to work around the problems with the straw system and a quick google search seems to indicate that Lifestraw has realised the limitations of their product and now make systems better suited for the goal of bringing water to African villages. Good on them, it's a worthy goal!  :tu:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: January 30, 2017, 08:01:34 PM
I personally support charity water.  I think any company willing to put money towards helping others is a good thing.  Helping others is a good thing.  They are certainly a company that likes the general public to know they are involved with bringing clean water to those that need it.  Its not such a bad thing IMO.  It can be off putting no doubt. 

We were told as youngsters if you help someone do it anonymously.  Never bring attention to what you did but rather the cause.  Interesting to note that this generation of consumers is really motivated to spend their money with companies that do something. 

I think I read that the millennials buying power and buying influence has surpass boomer with  about 1/4 of the worlds population are millennials.  They tend to buy from companies that give back.  I don't know it Lifestraw is actively trying to engage them but many brands are. 

« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 08:04:04 PM by Aloha007 »
Esse Quam Videri

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: January 30, 2017, 09:26:51 PM
I personally support charity water.  I think any company willing to put money towards helping others is a good thing.  Helping others is a good thing.  They are certainly a company that likes the general public to know they are involved with bringing clean water to those that need it.  Its not such a bad thing IMO.  It can be off putting no doubt. 

We were told as youngsters if you help someone do it anonymously.  Never bring attention to what you did but rather the cause.  Interesting to note that this generation of consumers is really motivated to spend their money with companies that do something. 

I think I read that the millennials buying power and buying influence has surpass boomer with  about 1/4 of the worlds population are millennials.  They tend to buy from companies that give back.  I don't know it Lifestraw is actively trying to engage them but many brands are. 

I agree, my problem here is less with Lifestraw doing good work (no problem there although I seem to recall them being quite expensive in the beginning and thus a rather inefficient way of helping, that has changed though) and more with said millennials, jumping on the simple solution (as always these days) and then passing it on as the end all of water shortage without considering for a moment the shortcomings.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #13 on: January 30, 2017, 09:33:09 PM
I think we'll see better more effective water programs for those in need in the near future.  I sure hope we do.   

I can only imagine how difficult and life threatening it is for those in areas without easy access. 

Esse Quam Videri

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: February 02, 2017, 10:14:16 AM

I imagine that would have been a real pain in the arse for sure!

Still, I'll bet it was better than trying to carry 5 days' worth of water with you from the get go!   :ahhh

BTW, if it helps any, I re-read that thread just a couple of days ago and was in awe over such a cool adventure all over again!

Def

Next time I'm taking beer for sure!  :cheers:
 :rofl:

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: February 02, 2017, 10:21:31 AM
I have 2 LifeStraws that I bought during my Survivorman-phase, tested them, but never used or relied on them.

It's probably a good emergency tool, but you'll probably end up with varicose veins on your cheeks if you drink through it constantly.  :rofl:

Fish River is out this year since it's fully booked already, but there's another 90km trail we want to tackle, bit expensive but it starts 30km from town which eliminates travel and accommodation costs.

Closest I've come to a game plan for next time is buying a second Sawyer.   

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #16 on: February 02, 2017, 05:10:51 PM
I have 2 LifeStraws that I bought during my Survivorman-phase, tested them, but never used or relied on them.

It's probably a good emergency tool, but you'll probably end up with varicose veins on your cheeks if you drink through it constantly.  :rofl:

Fish River is out this year since it's fully booked already, but there's another 90km trail we want to tackle, bit expensive but it starts 30km from town which eliminates travel and accommodation costs.

Closest I've come to a game plan for next time is buying a second Sawyer.   

:rofl:
Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24