Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New Nokia 3310: can it act as a hotspot?

kirk13 · 15 · 3099

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
New Nokia 3310: can it act as a hotspot?
on: June 06, 2017, 09:28:39 PM
Ok,so I'm excited by the new Nokia 3310: no touch screen,no smart nonsense,AND it's got snake!

But,and this was the reason I went to a smart(ish) phone,can it act as a wifi hotspot?
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

wales Offline Smashie

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Smurf it!
Re: New Nokia 3310: can it act as a hotspot?
Reply #1 on: June 06, 2017, 09:32:49 PM
Ok,so I'm excited by the new Nokia 3310: no touch screen,no smart nonsense,AND it's got snake!

But,and this was the reason I went to a smart(ish) phone,can it act as a wifi hotspot?

Careful there mate, I like it as well, BUT it's only a 2G phone. Most of the UK providers are starting to switch off their 2G networks.
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #2 on: June 06, 2017, 10:31:26 PM
Furthermore, even the review of Snake has been disappointing; the type of Symbian OS they based this phone off of still has had issues that haven't been corrected, according to reports on Reddit.

I was looking forward to the phone, but like Smashie said, even if they come out with a US-capable version, it not being 3G makes the phone a paperweight. :/

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: June 06, 2017, 10:50:27 PM

Careful there mate, I like it as well, BUT it's only a 2G phone. Most of the UK providers are starting to switch off their 2G networks.

So,and excuse my being dumb,but that means all dumb phones will be toast?
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #4 on: June 06, 2017, 10:53:07 PM

Pretty much
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: June 06, 2017, 10:54:27 PM

Pretty much

:facepalm: b*%#$¥ds!

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #6 on: June 06, 2017, 10:56:08 PM

Pretty much

That's 'progress' I guess

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #7 on: June 06, 2017, 11:11:50 PM

Pretty much

+1  :rant:

I'm currently using Blackberry as it's the only one I have a modicum of trust for, but since their new OS is now incorporating (being infested with) Google, options for me are getting extremely limited. Smurf knows what the smurf I'm going to do when it's time to renew my contract :shrug:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #8 on: June 07, 2017, 02:01:22 AM
It's just annoying that there are few/no dumbphone manufacturers that are 3G enabled; despite the market penetration, you'd think between the US and the UK, we'd be sizable-enough markets to warrant salable products. :/

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: June 07, 2017, 02:28:19 AM
It's just annoying that there are few/no dumbphone manufacturers that are 3G enabled; despite the market penetration, you'd think between the US and the UK, we'd be sizable-enough markets to warrant salable products. :/

They're trying to sell us the products that they instead of the products we actually want to own. They want us to buy apps we don't need, and to generate smurf loads of meta data for them to sell. Gone are the days when the phone was the commodity, now it's us that are the commodity. But don't get me started......

:P

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #10 on: June 07, 2017, 12:07:40 PM

They're trying to sell us the products that they instead of the products we actually want to own. They want us to buy apps we don't need, and to generate smurf loads of meta data for them to sell. Gone are the days when the phone was the commodity, now it's us that are the commodity. But don't get me started......

Right there with you 50. I went to a crappy work conference the other week where they were genuinley excited about our residents (many elderly and frail) using the amazon echo voice activated system as an alarm instead of the perfectly good bespoke system we currently operate.

I pointed out that the amazon/google/apple systems are purely tools for data mining and selling goods but they looked at me like I was starkers (I wasn't, I checked  :D). The pace of change is getting ridiculous too.  :rant: When will we learn that technology can't fix everything?

I'm off for a cuppa.  :salute:

p.s - great article in the Guardian about the 'internet of things'. Spells out the issues very clearly:
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/jun/06/internet-of-things-smart-home-smart-city
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 12:14:19 PM by magentus »
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: June 07, 2017, 04:08:51 PM

Right there with you 50. I went to a crappy work conference the other week where they were genuinley excited about our residents (many elderly and frail) using the amazon echo voice activated system as an alarm instead of the perfectly good bespoke system we currently operate.

I pointed out that the amazon/google/apple systems are purely tools for data mining and selling goods but they looked at me like I was starkers (I wasn't, I checked  :D). The pace of change is getting ridiculous too.  :rant: When will we learn that technology can't fix everything?

p.s - great article in the Guardian about the 'internet of things'. Spells out the issues very clearly:
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/jun/06/internet-of-things-smart-home-smart-city

Yup. It galls me that we have to keep upgrading our devices and connectivity method, at ever increasing cost, not so that we can access information better, but that we generate and surrender our meta data more efficiently. We have to pay our money so that the hidden programs nicking our data function effectively, and if we don't, we can't use our devices. It smurfing stinks!

What we need is some brave innovator bringing to market phones and tablets and computers, which have all the standard functions that most people need, but which completely blocks out all the hidden data mining stuff. Give the consumer the opportunity to walk away from this growing exploitation, and take the digital world back to being about our convenience, and stop turning consumers into the product.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #12 on: June 07, 2017, 04:16:36 PM

Yup. It galls me that we have to keep upgrading our devices and connectivity method, at ever increasing cost, not so that we can access information better, but that we generate and surrender our meta data more efficiently. We have to pay our money so that the hidden programs nicking our data function effectively, and if we don't, we can't use our devices. It smurfing stinks!

What we need is some brave innovator bringing to market phones and tablets and computers, which have all the standard functions that most people need, but which completely blocks out all the hidden data mining stuff. Give the consumer the opportunity to walk away from this growing exploitation, and take the digital world back to being about our convenience, and stop turning consumers into the product.
Yes!

If you don't know what the product is, it's you.

'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #13 on: June 11, 2017, 12:42:03 PM
http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_3310_(2017)-8597.php

seems to say no WLAN, so that would pretty much completely rule out hotspot.
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: August 04, 2017, 03:14:22 PM

No kidding but the dominoes keep falling.
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%