Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Just got a Signal

us Offline Its Hard To Know

Just got a Signal
on: February 05, 2017, 09:03:32 PM
Went to a gun show last week and found this for 70 bucks new

So far I like it, its bulkier than the Skeletool CX I typically carry, but its also got more features.
Im not a huge fan, right now, of the blade on it.

Anyone modding these at all?

What about spare parts (the firestarter and whistle stuff)? I feel like thats something that could be easily lost or broken since they are plastic

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Just got a Signal
Reply #1 on: February 05, 2017, 09:36:08 PM
Congrats on getting the Signal :cheers:

The Signal is very moddable :tu: We had a Signal Challenge last month and have had many people on here that have done quite a bit with them so you have several options :tu: Just do a search and you should find a lot of different things to try :cheers:

us Offline NorCalJim

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: February 06, 2017, 03:12:39 AM
Went to a gun show last week and found this for 70 bucks new

So far I like it, its bulkier than the Skeletool CX I typically carry, but its also got more features.

What about spare parts (the firestarter and whistle stuff)? I feel like thats something that could be easily lost or broken since they are plastic

:like:

Congratulations!  Good price for a good tool!

au Offline pietervn

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: February 06, 2017, 05:51:25 AM

G'Day,

Welcome to the Signal Club!!!  ;)

The blade is probably my only semi-complaint. I prefer PE blades and tried two different options:
The first is a Damascus Blade from Texas Tool Crafters. They are the only ones that make a PE blade that is shaped the same as the Signal. It is not quite as thick as the OEM blade and you need to tighten it properly. It also slightly touches against the awl. If you have a close look at the OEM blade it is off-set bevelled to accommodate the awl. I also tried the Wave PE blade. It is nearly 1mm thinner that the OEM blade and needs a good amount of tightening not to wobble - in my experience though. It also slightly touches the awl. So I took both out and put the OEM blade back.

This was our January Signal Challenge that Obi started: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,69865.0.html
He is by far the King of Signal mods. There are some others but Obi has done way more than all of us together!!!

There are also a few threads in the Mod Squad with a few Signal mods. Most of the Wave inner tools will fit inside, but there are some metal tabs that you will have to get rid of. I am planning to re-visit some ones I tried before the Challenge.

I also did an independent challenge in Nov last year: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,69091.0.html with the Signal and shared some thoughts on the tool itself as well as modding ideas.

I like the Signal and carry it most of the time. If Leatherman brings out a PE blade version I will be all over it  ;)

Cheers,

Pete
IMGP3442.JPG
* IMGP3442.JPG (Filesize: 118.08 KB)
IMGP3451.JPG
* IMGP3451.JPG (Filesize: 131.05 KB)
IMGP3420.JPG
* IMGP3420.JPG (Filesize: 161.97 KB)
IMGP3853.JPG
* IMGP3853.JPG (Filesize: 136.44 KB)

gb Offline OR6

Reply #4 on: February 06, 2017, 02:44:54 PM
Ive seen a lot of spares available for the signal in terms of the ferro rod and sharpener on eBay and Amazon etc. Not sure what will happen in years to come though..

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: February 06, 2017, 04:07:21 PM
I like the hammer... It's something I'm now missing on every other MT. The plastic bits do not make me jump with joy but the rest is real good.
I did mod mine a bit
- Metal saw/file instead of wood saw
- Chisel (from flat screwdriver, that one needed quite a bit of file-work) instead of the can opener
- Blunt nose pliers
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,70088.msg1419384.html#msg1419384
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

au Offline pietervn

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: February 07, 2017, 05:02:50 AM
I like the hammer... It's something I'm now missing on every other MT. The plastic bits do not make me jump with joy but the rest is real good.
The hammer is very handy, I have to agree on the plastic bits.

I did mod mine a bit
- Chisel (from flat screwdriver, that one needed quite a bit of file-work) instead of the can opener
- Blunt nose pliers

Do you have a pic of the pliers open?

I think as the Challenge has shown it is an underrated tool. It can easily be turned into a very handy EDC or just leave it Stock and use it.

Cheers

Pete

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: February 07, 2017, 09:38:17 AM
The hammer is very handy, I have to agree on the plastic bits.

I did mod mine a bit
- Blunt nose pliers

Do you have a pic of the pliers open?

I think as the Challenge has shown it is an underrated tool. It can easily be turned into a very handy EDC or just leave it Stock and use it.

Cheers

Pete
I will take a picture.

Yeah, lots of people (including me) hated the plastic bits so much, they never gave it a chance.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline gnosp

Reply #8 on: February 07, 2017, 03:00:04 PM
Looks great, any lighter than wave/charge models?

us Offline Its Hard To Know

Reply #9 on: February 19, 2017, 07:09:25 PM
Looks great, any lighter than wave/charge models?

I cant comment, will try to weigh soon

But it def has more bulk in the front pocket, is longer and not a 'smooth' as the wave
The wave just slips right in, this is not quite as comfortable, but I really like it.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%