Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Help with SAK for FAK

us Offline flbeachbum

Help with SAK for FAK
on: February 10, 2017, 04:32:04 AM
I am looking for a two layer SAK for my FAK. Ideally just scissors and knife blade in 85 or 91mm. The 58mm classic is just too small to hold comfortably.

The SAK selector suggested the Wenger Diplomat. It does seem to be the ideal knife for my purpose. Problem is I only found two on the bay and they were both over $100. Are there any other options out there? I considered the compact but honestly $30+ per knife is more than I want to pay for a knife to sit in a FAK, especially since I need more than one.

us Offline ColoSwiss

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Help with SAK for FAK
Reply #1 on: February 10, 2017, 05:20:25 AM
How about a 74mm Ambassador?  The red plastic version can regularly be found for under $20.

http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Ambassador
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 05:39:23 AM by ColoSwiss »

nl Offline glenfiddich1983

• aka "G-Fiddle" and "Glen-Fizzle"
Reply #2 on: February 10, 2017, 11:42:16 AM
How about a Climber or Deluxe Tinker?
[--- arms length ---] (-.-) 

^-- where the cat sits

nz Offline moonweasel

Reply #3 on: February 10, 2017, 12:33:38 PM
A tad bigger than you are looking for, but pioneer x is something with a bit of looking you could pick up in your price range

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #4 on: February 10, 2017, 12:38:25 PM
A tad bigger than you are looking for, but pioneer x is something with a bit of looking you could pick up in your price range

A Pioneer X for less than a Compact? Please let me in on your secret!

nz Offline moonweasel

Reply #5 on: February 10, 2017, 01:07:24 PM

A Pioneer X for less than a Compact? Please let me in on your secret!
No secret, just the OP being US. US ebay has a few new X just over $30 new, not to mention US retailers often having silly good sales, a bit of patience, will yield a nice price X.
And honestly $30 is nothing to have sitting there for a knife in a FAK just in case.

fi Offline Padre

Reply #6 on: February 10, 2017, 01:12:01 PM
I also need that Ambassador for 20 dollars... :)
Leatherman:
Charge TTi, AL, Squirt PS4, Surge, Juice XE6, CS4, S2, ST300, Crunch, OHT, MUT, Rebar, Brewzer, Signal, Raptor, Tool Adapter, Croc, Wave, Style CS, Freestyle, Skeletool RX, Micra, Wingman
SOG:
PPP, PowerLock, SwitchPlier 2.0, Paratool, PowerAssist, Reactor, CrossCut, PowerPlay
Gerber:
FliK, MP600 ProScout, MP600 blunt, Dime, MP-1, Diesel, MP400
Bahco:
MTT151, MTT051, MTT121
Knives:
Spyderco PM2, Tatanka, Bug, ZT 0452CF, CS Recon1XL, Benchmade 940-1 and 482
SAKs:
Too many to list here...

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: February 10, 2017, 01:18:08 PM
What the FAQ is a FAK?

nz Offline moonweasel

Reply #8 on: February 10, 2017, 01:19:06 PM
First aid kit, not a knife for the French

bg Offline kingsix87

Reply #9 on: February 10, 2017, 01:22:44 PM
In my opinion the cheapest option would be a second hand Climber. At least in my country the Climber is cheaper than the Compact - I guess they charge premium for the compactness, despite the fact that less material went into producing one. Another option would be a Swiss Card - they have slightly bigger blade and scissor than a Classic and work well if space is an issue. Or you could just find a replacement scissors for a Swiss Card and use that with a piece of straw over it to keep folded.

Or just add a regular Spartan/Tinker and put some dedicated folding scissors/scissor-based keychain MT

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #10 on: February 10, 2017, 02:16:45 PM
If the Classic is to small, and price is concern, the Leatherman Micra may be a good option.
I find the scissor very useful, and other tool would be a benefit in a FAK. Can be found for about $20 or less in the US. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

nl Offline glenfiddich1983

• aka "G-Fiddle" and "Glen-Fizzle"
Reply #11 on: February 10, 2017, 02:27:18 PM
In my opinion the cheapest option would be a second hand Climber. At least in my country the Climber is cheaper than the Compact - I guess they charge premium for the compactness, despite the fact that less material went into producing one. Another option would be a Swiss Card - they have slightly bigger blade and scissor than a Classic and work well if space is an issue. Or you could just find a replacement scissors for a Swiss Card and use that with a piece of straw over it to keep folded.

Or just add a regular Spartan/Tinker and put some dedicated folding scissors/scissor-based keychain MT

Less is more.

More money that is  :D
[--- arms length ---] (-.-) 

^-- where the cat sits

us Offline flbeachbum

Reply #12 on: February 10, 2017, 02:53:31 PM
Thanks for the suggestions everybody. I will look into each knife suggested and see what fits best in my available space and price range. It's my weekend to work so it will probably be Monday before I get around to doing any research.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #13 on: February 10, 2017, 05:02:50 PM
I also suggest the Ambassador, as well as the Executive and Minichamp for that role.
The orange peeler/package opener is very nice for careful and safe cutting of bandages, strips, band-aids, clothes and tape, scissors are incredibly useful for skin boo-boos, nails, scalps, hanging skin,  line and sewing cord, hairs, and can double as an awl

Small. but very thin blade is excellent for opening bandaging wraps, cutting bandages, pressing bandages and medical dressings against the skin (making them flat and nicely put), cutting straws, container (alcohol, oxygenated water, eye serum) tops and other medical accessories

Tweezers help a lot in removing foreign objects, digging under wounds and exploring damage or open skin, picking up dirt from wounds, manipulating needles with extreme precision

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%