Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What I like and don't like

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
What I like and don't like
on: February 07, 2017, 04:50:56 PM
There are a lot of things in life that I don't like and I could easily fill volumes of books with my complaining about things in general and with alarming specificity.  I really could, as evidenced by the fact that this website has completely grown from my ability to complain about things and tell the world what I like and, more often what I don't like.

When it comes to pocket knives, I have very specific tastes, and, if I am free to toot my own horn for a moment, I have handled and used a great many knives in my time.  With all of those (literally thousands) of knives in hand, I have determined that I do not care for the following:

Backlocks- I'm not so much against them, but I much prefer most other lock mechanisms to a backlock, as it is a little more awkward to use than a liner or frame lock.
Long pointy tips- I've broken so many points on knives over the years and seen so many more that I want a nice, strong tip, or no flimsy point at all.  Give me a sheepsfoot or broad spear point any day.

Metal handles- I hate metal handles in general, and especially non textured metal handles because they get cold when used outside half the year (in Canada at least) and they provide little to no grip.  How unsafe can you get?

Overly large blades- There's a joke in there somewhere about guys who like large blades, but I'm not going to go there.  Instead I am going to point out that I have never used a sub 3” blade and thought “Boy I wish there was a lot more to this.”  Big blades are just scarier to the unwashed masses, and less useful in most day to day tasks.  Plus I have small hands.

Partially serrated blades- Come on, if I want a plain edge I'll buy a plain edge.  If I want serrations I buy serrations.  I don't need a blade cut into two semi-useful halves.

Given that I have said all of the above, this next part may surprise you- if I had to choose one dedicated folding knife for the rest of my life, it would encompass not one, not two, not even three, but all of the above items that I specifically hate about folding knives, and I wouldn't even hesitate for a moment when making that choice.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you the One Folder To Rule Them All, also known as the Spyderco Police Model.

This is a knife that I lusted after for years, and never got around to purchasing because there was always something else I would rather have spent over $100 on, usually silly things like gasoline, groceries or rent.... then a few years ago I got it into my head that I'd waited long enough and I absolutely need to have one, so I contacted a few dealer friends to see what kind of special pricing I could get since I'm a hgh muckity muck website owner and all round fantastic person, but even the wholesale prices were more than I wanted to spend.

I ended up with this particular one, which was purchased second hand on eBay, and had it's share of abuse. The very tip of it was broken off, but thankfully it was a small bit that doesn't really affect the knife overall.  It was also scratched to Hades and back when it arrived, and quite frankly, I was quite upset with myself for my idiocy in getting it.

You see, I got caught up in  bidding war on eBay and ended up spending about $5 less in it than I could have gotten a brand spanky new one for.  And, it was dirty, scratched up, and some jackass had decided to add some jimping on the back, but apparently was drunk when he tried because it is quite crooked.

Further, someone had used some kind of abrasive to either clean it or to try and remove the laser etched POLICE marking on it.

But, I spent money on this thing, and I was going to get that money back out of it- after all, I had lusted for my very own Police Model for so long that I was going to force myself to like it, or else.

I started by cleaning it out, wiping all of the parts, lubricating it and using a Q-Tip to clean the gunk out of the inside of the handles.  Then I carefully sharpened both parts of the edge, making sure the points of the SpyderEdge were perfectly pointy.  When I was done, you could perform surgery with it, although the scratches still remain on it to this day.

While working with it I totally rediscovered why I loved this knife so much- the design is absolutely flawless.  It is so elegant to hold and use, it opens and closes the way I wish every knife would- like the world's finest satins were used in the pivots.  It is, in my opinion, on par with the katana blades from the twelfth to fourteenth century Japan.  It is a work of art, a piece of metal that is so exquisite that you can easily imagine generations of ancestors being content to live within it.

That having been said, the Police Model is no shelf queen or fancy knife- it is perfect for picking dog crap out of the treads in your boots.  It is perfect for cutting duct tape for a leaky grey or blackwater tank.  It is perfect for slitting the throats of your enemies so they will be a bit more amenable to letting you drink from their skulls.  It will open boxes and envelopes, and it will easily cut clothing from an accident victim- there is literally no knife task that I can think of that I wouldn't consider using the Police Model on, and that is not something I can say about any other knife in my collection.

And what's more- for all we talk about quality and fit and finish, there are only two other items I have encountered that could fit in the same category as the Police Model, and they are the Victorinox Spirit and SOG's original ToolClip, the latter also being from Seki City, and so similar in construction to the Police Model that I have to wonder if they were both sourced from the same factory.

All in all, I really think that everyone should either handle a Spyderco Police Model and trade all of their other knives for it, or never handle a Police Model and continue enjoying their other knives.  I really don't see there being any middle ground.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Re: What I like and don't like
Reply #1 on: February 07, 2017, 05:24:44 PM
[...] It is perfect for slitting the throats of your enemies so they will be a bit more amenable to letting you drink from their skulls.[...]
I know how this article came to be... de-hydration is a serious danger :salute:

P.S: the image is from http://oglaf.com, although I have to warn you. The cartoon is funny and inapropriate
oglaf.jpg
* oglaf.jpg (Filesize: 165.46 KB)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 05:25:55 PM by Etherealicer »
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

fi Offline AlephZero

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Smurf smash!
Reply #2 on: February 07, 2017, 05:28:17 PM
And ladies and gentlemen, THIS is how you complain like a pro! No wondering why Grant is the boss-man...

Have a :like:, boss, and maybe some :cheers:

:D
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 05:29:58 PM by Aleph78 »
"Hoarder of weirdness,
Always posting random things,
I'm AlephZero" :ninja:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: February 07, 2017, 05:46:02 PM
Very surprised to say the least in your choice  :think:.  Also very interesting that application seems to always beat out thoughts.   Getting any tool in hand and actually using it tends to seal or break the deal.   In your case clearly.   

I actually prefer back locks then frame and stay away from liner locks these days. 

I don't mind metal handles they're not deal breakers.   

Pointy tips dont bother me as I've not yet snapped a knife tip.  Thin pointy tips however.......   

I like a sub 4 inch blade a lot, even on my fixed blades.  This size is so versatile especially when the blade is not crazy thick. 

I'm with you on partially serrated blades.  I dont see them as the best of both worlds at all.  I like a good serrated blade and equally a good PE.  I'd carry a both if the need for either was expected.

What I like today are Ontario Rat 3, Delica, Native.  I also have a Delica PE which is terrific.   

The Delica for me is a great size.  I like the PE tip portion of both the Native and Delica.  I wouldn't call either combo edge.  Yes the Native is pinned so I have contradicted myself a but the newer ones are not.  The size and shape of the Native is wonderful.  In hand its wonderful.  The Delica is also a terrific size and shape.

My Ontario Rat 3 is such a wonderful little fixed blade.  I've always wanted one or an Esee equivalent.  Its size and blade thinness is awesome.   

IMG_2262.JPG
* IMG_2262.JPG (Filesize: 195.59 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: February 07, 2017, 05:58:10 PM
You live in a warm climate and therefore haven't had the joy of trying to hold a metal handled knife when it's -40C.   :ahhh

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #5 on: February 07, 2017, 06:00:03 PM
You live in a warm climate and therefore haven't had the joy of trying to hold a metal handled knife when it's -40C.   :ahhh

Def
Cold really got a hold on California this year, it is currently 17*C outside.... :-[
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: February 07, 2017, 06:03:43 PM
I hope you guys are able to withstand such hardships and that once you make it through, you will all be able to rebuild your lives somehow.  My thoughts and prayers go out to you.

Def

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #7 on: February 07, 2017, 06:28:07 PM
I hope you guys are able to withstand such hardships and that once you make it through, you will all be able to rebuild your lives somehow.  My thoughts and prayers go out to you.

Def
:rofl:

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #8 on: February 07, 2017, 07:02:21 PM

Def
They will probably say the samething to you when summer hits.
Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: February 07, 2017, 07:05:44 PM

Def

Kam you forgot to talk about how much rain we also got and the winds don't forget about the winds we've had  :rofl:
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #10 on: February 07, 2017, 08:16:32 PM
We hadn't have much sunlight in the last couple days, it was tough.  :shrug:

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #11 on: February 07, 2017, 08:25:46 PM
Damn, you guys in Cali sure got it rough!

I, on the other hand got to bike to work in balmy -22C today  :D
"Hoarder of weirdness,
Always posting random things,
I'm AlephZero" :ninja:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: February 07, 2017, 10:56:48 PM
I do love the look of the Police Spydie, Boss :cheers: If I could have found one just a bit cheaper there is a good chance I would have one of those vs the Endura I ended up with :tu: :like: :like:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #13 on: February 08, 2017, 12:58:27 AM
I wish I'd taken the time to find a good price!  I paid through the nose on this one.

The up side of it being pretty beat up when I got it is that I have no problem using it, and using it hard.

Def

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #14 on: February 08, 2017, 01:56:20 AM
I agree the half serrated blade thing makes me crazy. 

I also hate back locks.

For me, there are really only 3 knife types that I find useful: 

1.  Utility knife with replaceable blade
2.  Plain edge for fine work
3. Serrated edge for fibrous material

Really long fine points and huge blades just seem too specialized

us Offline David

Reply #15 on: February 08, 2017, 03:27:05 AM
The Police Model is one of my all time favorites and one I consider a classic. I have one clipped in my right front pocket most days lately.
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: February 08, 2017, 09:39:34 AM
So take a whole bucket of petrol and chuck it on the fire why don't you  :facepalm:

I now only trust back locks and axis locks, determined my user knives will be one of those forever more.

Liner and frame locks will be acceptable on cheap chinese fondling knives.

At funny times like yesterday after work when I was trimming down the rubber stops behind my spare tyre I get unbearable urges to buy a fully serrated Spyderco Atlantic Salt........then I know what an opiate addict feels like!  :ahhh

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #17 on: February 08, 2017, 11:41:48 PM
I also prefer back locks. I think liner locks are OK on small gentleman's knives, not on heavier work knives. The Endura FRN was my working day knife in a warehouse for a period of three years. The Endura G10 gets some outdoor carry, I don't use it very much. I removed the clip, and wear it in a belt sheath.
DSC03432-spyderco.jpg
* DSC03432-spyderco.jpg (Filesize: 396.4 KB)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 11:43:45 PM by Ronald Schröder »

us Offline getahl

Reply #18 on: February 09, 2017, 04:02:23 AM
To whomever posted Oglaf...I love that comic.

I have precisely two knives that open and close as if lubricated by angels...a Spydie Military, and a ZT something or other. You can tell I carry it regularly by how well I remember its model number.

I like back locks, axis locks, frame locks , no locks, what have you. I know strengths and weaknesses each imposes, and use my knives accordingly.

Serrations...eh, I like plain edged knives.

Handles... Living about thirty minute outside Los Angeles, I can dig on metal handles. But I like wood and plastics better.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #19 on: February 09, 2017, 04:28:36 PM
I have a special edition blue G-10 Spyderco Native that can be opened and closed just by pressing the lock button.  It is freaking perfect, and it's the only knife I have ever owned that was possible to do that with.  As much as I love the way that Native is put together, if I had to choose a user for the rest of my life, it would be the Police Model.

The Native (in general, all of them, but specifically my blue one) is my second favorite Spyderco.  I love the broad blade on it.  It feels as if you could perform surgery on Iron Man if you needed to, without removing the armor.

Def

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #20 on: February 09, 2017, 04:56:12 PM
The forward PE on the Native is brilliant.  Its a knife that just feel good in hand as well. 
Esse Quam Videri

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #21 on: February 09, 2017, 05:07:11 PM
To whomever posted Oglaf...I love that comic.[...]
You're welcome :salute:

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #22 on: February 09, 2017, 05:09:09 PM
I have a special edition blue G-10 Spyderco Native that can be opened and closed just by pressing the lock button.  It is freaking perfect, and it's the only knife I have ever owned that was possible to do that with.  [...]
That can be done with many knifes... e.g Benchmade Mini Griptillian

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #23 on: February 09, 2017, 05:15:38 PM
I'm sure it can- I just haven't found one yet as nice as the G-10 Native.

Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #24 on: February 17, 2017, 03:33:15 AM
The Police Model is one of my all time favorites and one I consider a classic. I have one clipped in my right front pocket most days lately.

I meant to comment on this earlier but I must have forgotten.... what version of the Police Model do you have?  Pictures are highly encouraged.  :D

Def

Offline Ray S

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: February 18, 2017, 03:44:29 AM
I had written a rather lengthy reply to this post when it first started but somehow it never transmitted;probably due to all the electronic gremlins that lurk within my computer. I shall try again.
I was surprised at your choice of the Spyderco Police Grant as it seems to go contrary to everything you prefer in a knife. I also own one(among several Spyderco models)that is fully serrated and I find it to be overly large and not particularly comfortable to hold.I only bought it because a guy at the local flea market was selling a bunch of knives for $5 apiece and I figured it was worth that;even though someone had engraved their name on the clip side(it is almost completely sanded off now).Also among this group were three other Spyderco models and a couple of large CRKT folders.They are even more cumbersome than the Spyderco's and one has this stupid double lock mechanism which is a PITA to operate.
As to what I like in a knife;that can be a number of things.I prefer a knife that is small enough to fit comfortably in my pocket;not weigh a whole lot;and have a big enough blade to do most tasks that I do.For handles I prefer stag as a natural material with jigged bone a close second and for synthetics G-10 is hard to beat.A lock mechanism is not a necessity.
As for my dislikes;I do not like a knife that has to be carried in a belt pouch as anything I put there has a tendency to throw my hips out of alignment and cause discomfort. I especially dislike Buck 110 folders and their innumerable clones as they are without exception very handle heavy and prolonged use makes them very uncomfortable to use.
One of the worst designs ever made was ironically created by a man who has more designs to his credit than any other person in the industry that I can recall:Blackie Collins.He has created some really incredible knives(and I own a lot of them)but the one he really flubbed was the Benchmark Rolox.
For those not familiar with this knife it looks like a relatively normal folder except that it has a unique operating mechanism. To open the knife,you press down on a serrated area on the back of the blade which elevates the point and allows the blade to slide forward and lock into position. To close you press the back lock(located at the bottom rear)which again elevates the blade and you grasp it and slide it to the rear where it drops into position.When properly lubricated this mechanism operates very smoothly;and herein lies the problem:If you are cutting heavy cardboard for instance and applying a lot of pressure to the handle your pinky finger naturally falls on top of the lock mechanism;actuating it and sending the blade backwards with the result that the skin between your thumb and index finger is caught between the blade tang and the handle. Don't ask how I know this.
So what is my knife of choice? For a long time I carried a Leatherman e303 that served just about any task I put it to.It has a non skid polymer handle;partially serrated(my only complaint)spear point blade along with a straight and Phillips folding screwdriver.Equipped with a pocket clip which can be removed to utilize a folding belt loop hook it fits comfortably in your pocket.Sadly they discontinued it and came out with a newer model which is identical save the handles are G-10 which is better but the edges are squared which makes it a bit uncomfortable to hold.
Luckily I bought a couple while they were on sale(for $11 US each) and I am still working with my first one.
6Spyderco1.jpg
* 6Spyderco1.jpg (Filesize: 56.31 KB)
Leathermane303-$11 001.jpg
* Leathermane303-$11 001.jpg (Filesize: 41.28 KB)
Leathermane303-$11 002.jpg
* Leathermane303-$11 002.jpg (Filesize: 39.31 KB)
Benchmark Roloxes.jpg
* Benchmark Roloxes.jpg (Filesize: 30.22 KB)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 03:46:17 AM by Ray S »

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #26 on: February 18, 2017, 04:44:49 AM
Blackie was a great designer but yes, very much out there.  I consider it a huge success in my life that I was able to meet him.  I even got a neat little knife from him and he autographed it for me.  It isn't a fixed blade and it isn't a folder- it's a two piece knife and the only one like it I have ever seen.

I'll try to get some pics up, but it works an awful lot like a pen with a cap.  The handle actually comes away from the knife, then slips over the blade to lock onto the hilt to put the knife away.  To use it you just hold the hilt in one hand, pull the handle off like a pen cap, exposing the blade, then attach the handle to the other side of the hilt to be the handle.  Brilliant idea, and so amazingly simple!

I can see why you would find the Police Model cumbersome- it is a very large folder indeed.  Pe4sonally I think it appeals to me so much because it is so slender, and it is designed to have as much blade as possible while still folding safely into the handle.  Many folders have annoyingly large handles and even more annoyingly small blades, and many for no good reason as there's still lots of space inside the handle.  The Skeletool has always bothered me for that- there's absolutely no reason the blade couldn't be a quarter inch longer.

With the Police Model, someone went to a lot of effort to minimize the blade/handle ratio.

Def

Offline Ray S

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: February 18, 2017, 05:49:27 AM
That must have been a great experience to meet Blackie Collins.I just did a quick check of some of his designs and was surprised to find out he designed all of Smith & Wesson's original group of knives. I have the 6060 folder(two of them actually;one is pretty beat up)and the Survival model except instead of the hollw handle mine has a custom stag handle. I don't know whether it was done at the factory or not but whomever did really did a nice job.In addition to the Rolox knives,I also have a Benchmark Argonaut and Ninja and a Wenoka diver's knife,plus a spring-assisted folder made of glass fiber.
S&W6060 1.jpg
* S&W6060 1.jpg (Filesize: 82.91 KB)
S&W30673 1.jpg
* S&W30673 1.jpg (Filesize: 65.77 KB)
BenchmarkArgonaut1.jpg
* BenchmarkArgonaut1.jpg (Filesize: 46.19 KB)
BenchMadeNinja1.jpg
* BenchMadeNinja1.jpg (Filesize: 88.74 KB)

Offline Ray S

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: February 18, 2017, 05:52:02 AM
The Wenoka diver's knife and the glass fiber knife.
WenokaDiveKnife1.jpg
* WenokaDiveKnife1.jpg (Filesize: 47.62 KB)
BlackieCollinsPlasticFolder 001.jpg
* BlackieCollinsPlasticFolder 001.jpg (Filesize: 33.61 KB)
BlackieCollinsPlasticFolder 002.jpg
* BlackieCollinsPlasticFolder 002.jpg (Filesize: 44.41 KB)

Offline Ray S

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: February 18, 2017, 05:59:46 AM
Almost forgot;is this the pen knife you were referring to?
BlackieCollinsPenKnife 002.jpg
* BlackieCollinsPenKnife 002.jpg (Filesize: 39.57 KB)
BlackieCollinsPenKnife 003.jpg
* BlackieCollinsPenKnife 003.jpg (Filesize: 39.06 KB)
BlackieCollinsPenKnife 004.jpg
* BlackieCollinsPenKnife 004.jpg (Filesize: 39.27 KB)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%