Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

I love the reactor

ca Offline mapletaffy

I love the reactor
on: February 08, 2017, 05:58:40 PM
I bought my first SOG the other day, the reactor. This tool is what I've always imagined my EDC multitool to be, small, limited tool set and light.
At work i don't have the need for a full-size multitool as i have all the tools i need for the job, and during weekends I don't find myself needing anything that's not on my minichamp, besides a larger knife, pliers and a screwdriver. i actually really like the way the screwdriver is implemented on this tool, i can use standard bit holders to extend the reach of my screwdriver. I really just want a properly built reactor as there isn't a tool on the market that can compete with its size and weight.

However the build quality on this tool is really lacking, especially for a tool with this price tag. although its function is not impeded by the flaws i have discovered with my tool, I cannot say i am confident it will survive even a week of carry. So my question is, Should I exchange the tool in-store and hope the next one isn't defective as well, or do i send it back to sog? I'm not thrilled with the idea of sending my new tool away in the mail for x amount of days/weeks. Also I don't have confidence that the replacement wont be defective. I purchased this tool at cabelas, i'm not familiar with their return policy but at least if they accept an exchange i can potentially inspect the tool before the exchange.

The pins holding the plier head to the handle assembly are loose and i cannot tighten them, and the rivet holding the gears isn't set properly. the tool has a lot of rattle even with the pliers deployed, it feels very loose.
image1 (1).jpg
* image1 (1).jpg (Filesize: 132.44 KB)

gb Offline Damsel

• Damsel in this dress
Re: I love the reactor
Reply #1 on: February 08, 2017, 06:28:04 PM
I've just looked it up and I'm seeing a LOT of negative reviews. Definitely something I wouldn't buy.

Danielle
:angel: Sugar, spice and everything nice.  :angel:

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #2 on: February 08, 2017, 07:39:44 PM
I disagree- I have one and I really like it.  Yes, it is a bit rattly and fiddly, but I have used mine quite extensively and have never been worried about it failing on me.

I agree that the build quality could be better, but then if the build quality were higher you'd have to sacrifice cost or function- ie it would cost a lot more, or, like the Leatherman Freestyle, it would just be a set of pliers and a knife blade.

You can try returning it to Cabelas, but you probably won't be any more impressed with the build quality of next one than you are with this one.  If you feel that it is actually defective then by all means return it or contact SOG, but if it is just a matter of it being rattly and fiddly, then unfortunately it just is what it is.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline metasyntax

Reply #3 on: February 08, 2017, 07:41:44 PM
At work i don't have the need for a full-size multitool as i have all the tools i need for the job, and during weekends I don't find myself needing anything that's not on my minichamp, besides a larger knife, pliers and a screwdriver. i actually really like the way the screwdriver is implemented on this tool, i can use standard bit holders to extend the reach of my screwdriver. I really just want a properly built reactor as there isn't a tool on the market that can compete with its size and weight.

Have you looked into the Skeletool? It might suit your needs. There is an extender, which fits in the small bit driver, that takes 1/4" bits.

However the build quality on this tool is really lacking, especially for a tool with this price tag. although its function is not impeded by the flaws i have discovered with my tool, I cannot say i am confident it will survive even a week of carry. So my question is, Should I exchange the tool in-store and hope the next one isn't defective as well, or do i send it back to sog? I'm not thrilled with the idea of sending my new tool away in the mail for x amount of days/weeks. Also I don't have confidence that the replacement wont be defective. I purchased this tool at cabelas, i'm not familiar with their return policy but at least if they accept an exchange i can potentially inspect the tool before the exchange.

I would try taking it back to the retailer first. You can get your replacement immediately, and potentially make certain that it's a good specimen. Let them deal with SOG. And I imagine that if they get a bunch back, they can put pressure on SOG to improve QC. Consumers shouldn't be required to use the warranty service right out of the box, in my opinion!
May it be as the Pattern has chosen.

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #4 on: February 08, 2017, 09:04:11 PM
I too have a Reactor and mine works as it should.  Must have gotten one with questionable QC.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

ca Offline mapletaffy

Reply #5 on: February 08, 2017, 09:58:41 PM
thanks for all the replies everyone. as far as the skeletool is concerned, it looks a little bit too big for me to edc and i really prefer the driver on the sog, as well as the AO blade.
Regarding the cost to quality ratio, I've paid far less for tools that have a higher level of fit and finish to them, I would be more than happy to spend $100 on this tool if it meant that it would be built to a higher standard. However I don't believe that just because a product is inexpensive that its acceptable to be built to a low standard. the gerber suspension comes to mind as a cheap multitool that's built to a respectable level of quality. As you can see in the image i posted, there is obvious manufacturers defect with the tool i purchased.

I've decided to live with the flaws on my tool and see how long it lasts with daily use. Unless this happens in the next month i can forget returning it to the store but i will always have sogs warranty to cover me if the tool does fail.

The design and innovation in this tool is what attracted me to it in the first place, and even if the quality isn't there i will continue to use the reactor as there is nothing in its size and weight class that can compare. maybe a reactor 2.0 is on the horizon :gimme:
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 11:12:58 PM by mapletaffy »

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #6 on: February 09, 2017, 04:26:28 AM
If you want a well built, reliable multitool, consider buying a used Leatherman Pulse or even the original Leatherman PST in good condition. 

They are not glamorous, but they will work for most tasks.  They are slim and relatively light weight.
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

Offline mikekoz

Reply #7 on: February 09, 2017, 10:29:35 PM
   I would go back to Cabelas and swap it with another one. I have one and it is not even close to the way you describe yours. It sounds like you got a defective one. I do not think it is the greatest tool in the world, but I only paid $29.99 for it, so I cannot complain too much! By the way, the Skeletool is the same size as the Reactor, and it is a much better made tool, in my humble opinion!

ca Offline mapletaffy

Reply #8 on: February 09, 2017, 11:04:30 PM
Well that didn't take long, today at work I went to pull a screw that was fastened only to drywall( could pull it out with my fingers but I couldn't get a grip) so I bust out the reactor and the rivet that was set incorrectly failed. I didn't even put moderate force on the pliers. I'm pretty disappointed but not surprised considering I saw the defect as soon as I took the tool out of the package. I don't think I can trust sog to deliver a tool that isn't defective so I'm going to go to the retailer and inspect each one until I find one that's built properly.  :-[
IMG_2554.JPG
* IMG_2554.JPG (Filesize: 151.47 KB)

ca Offline mapletaffy

Reply #9 on: February 11, 2017, 05:29:06 PM
Update: went to cabelas with the broken tool and they exchanged it no problem. I looked at the other reactors in store and couldn't find one that wasn't built defectively.  :(
As much as I love the reactor design I'm going to wait until they can produce a more quality version. I think the largest design flaw is using small rivets to hold the gear component together, they simply cannot handle even light duty. I'm hoping the reactor 2.0 will come out soon because until then I'll have to edc my new skeletool :whistle:

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #10 on: March 28, 2017, 08:43:01 AM
Consumers shouldn't be required to use the warranty service right out of the box, in my opinion!

us Offline valvestem125

• You only go this way once.
Reply #11 on: April 07, 2017, 03:23:51 AM
I took a Gerber multi back to Cabelas three times before I found one that was not defective.  I was glad the fourth one was OK, as it was the last one they had.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%