Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The Difference in Leatherman MOLLE Sheaths

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
The Difference in Leatherman MOLLE Sheaths
on: February 08, 2017, 10:24:16 PM
Leatherman offers two different MOLLE sheaths, and I have commented many times on how great the US made version is, and how terrible the Chinese made version is.  I have, also made reference to what I call a "sock sheath" which isn't a type so much as it is any sheath that is floppy, like someone made it from an old sock.

In my opinion, a properly made sheath should hold the tool inside, as if that was the product they were thinking about when they made it.  Many aftermarket sheath makers spend a lot of time thinking about these kinds of things when they make their sheath, and they use elastic or nylon straps on to hold the tool inside.  It is a shame then, when a manufacturer, especially one as otherwise respectable as Leatherman can't be bothered to issue a sheath with a tool that really has nothing to do with the tool itself.

In the following photos you will see two sheaths- the premium US made MOLLE sheath in tan that comes with the MUT, and the crappy black MOLLE sock sheath that comes with the Surge.  I had intended to use the tan sheath that came with my OHT as it's a bit more of a direct comparison, but I couldn't find it when I decided to start taking photos, so maybe there will be an addendum to this later on.

The vertical strap on the back is much more substantial on the tan version, and provides a lot more security, and a much better feeling.  You don't feel that the tool in the tan sheath is going to fall off, nor does it allow the tool to bounce around on your belt, or hang loosely enough to get snagged on things- all of which are problems with the black sheath.

Inside you see that the tan sheath also has almost twice the surface area of Velcro as the black one, meaning the flap is a lot less likely to come loose.  You can also see that even with no tool in it, the tan sheath seems to hold it's shape better than the black one, which illustrates what I mean about it being a sock sheath.

Inside the black sheath we see that the Surge actually rattles around inside, and is not snugly nestled inside the way it should be- and the Surge is a giant, bulky tool, and even it can't fill the void.  Given the lesser amount of velcro on the flap, this black sock makes it all too easy to lose your tool.

Even the MUT flops around inside this sheath- if it is too big for the MUT and the Surge, what the heck did they have in mind when they commissioned this sheath?   ???

By comparison, the tan US made MOLLE sheath holds both the MUT and the Surge (not at the same time mind you! :P) quite snugly, to the point where even if somehow the flap did come loose, you'd still have to really put some effort into having the tool fall out, and yet, it does not restrict access to the tool when you want it.

This is largely due to the elastic that you see on the side, something the black sheath is missing, although the black sheath is so much of a fail on so many different levels that I am surprised Leatherman would put their name on it- and even worse that they would provide it with the Surge, which is not a cheap tool.  I suppose I could see it issued with a Rev, Wingman or Sidekick as a cost saving measure, but not with a good tool like the Surge.

Thankfully Maxpedition is happy to fill in the gap.  ::)

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: The Difference in Leatherman MOLLE Sheaths
Reply #1 on: February 08, 2017, 11:02:23 PM
Ok by your pics I have the cruddy one :-[ It has yet to fail so I am going to carry it til it does and hopefully I don't lose a tool when it does :ahhh I have carried it to work everyday since I have gotten it and carried many different tools in it and so far so good but I would like one of the better made ones now just to see how bad the one I have is ::) :D

nz Offline babola

• No Life Club
  • The Tinkerer
Reply #2 on: February 09, 2017, 01:11:00 AM
Both of those sheaths have been made in China for some time now. If you own the original XL sheath made in the US consider yourself lucky. There are still few of those US-made sheats floating on ebay and Amazon as spares but the stock has steadily dwindled over time.

What differentiates the two isn't the country of manufacture as such, but the features and intended target market. The smaller, standard sheath as you pointed out is very basic and nothing to write home about, but the 'professional' XL model is targeted at the active military, tactical and first responders.

There is also a "third" Molle sheath which seems to be still made in US, it comes as an option with OHT tool and sits somewhere between the small standard and XL sheaths. You will recognize it by the US flag featured on a small side-tab. I have this one too, nothing special really.
EDC and OCD. A wicked mix.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: February 09, 2017, 02:47:49 AM
Yeah, that was the one I was intending to do this comparison with but I couldn't locate it.

Still it is a lot better than the black one I show above.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline lohman

Reply #4 on: February 09, 2017, 04:35:26 AM
So the XL is the Tan one in the original post? I just got a decent backpack, ILBE Gen II MARPAT and want to purchase a MOLLE Sheath.
IMG_4734_800.jpg
* IMG_4734_800.jpg (Filesize: 231.24 KB)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: April 03, 2017, 09:51:44 PM
For a better, more direct comparison, see this thread.

I was just about to update this thread when I saw it had already been done.  In 2014.   :ahhh

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%