Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New tool Recommendations

Offline WadeAllen

New tool Recommendations
on: February 09, 2017, 08:38:56 PM
Hello everyone. I'm new to the forum. I'm currently carrying a Rev, but sadly I broke my file on it. Does anybody have any mod or different model recommendations? It's in my pocket constantly so if I go new model, I want something as convenient as it with the similar bulk as it just fits my hand right. Thank you all.

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Re: New tool Recommendations
Reply #1 on: February 09, 2017, 09:26:55 PM
Hello everyone. I'm new to the forum. I'm currently carrying a Rev, but sadly I broke my file on it. Does anybody have any mod or different model recommendations? It's in my pocket constantly so if I go new model, I want something as convenient as it with the similar bulk as it just fits my hand right. Thank you all.

What features are important to you? The Wingman or Sidekick would be cheap improvements over the Rev that would keep the sprung pliers and OHO blade. If you're willing to open the tool to get at the knife the Rebar would be a much more feature-filled tool at not much more weight or you might look for a PST either in the for sale board or elsewhere. If you'd be willing to step away from Leatherman the Victorinox Spirit gets a lot of love here on the forum and can be had at fairly reasonable prices if you are ok with a used tool.

fi Offline Padre

Reply #2 on: February 09, 2017, 09:37:33 PM
Too expensive to send in to fix by warranty?

Wingman is pretty sweet. Adds scissors and springloaded pliers to Rev. Its blade is also easier to open.

Leatherman Juice S2 works too, no clip, but even smaller and nicer to pocket carry.
Leatherman:
Charge TTi, AL, Squirt PS4, Surge, Juice XE6, CS4, S2, ST300, Crunch, OHT, MUT, Rebar, Brewzer, Signal, Raptor, Tool Adapter, Croc, Wave, Style CS, Freestyle, Skeletool RX, Micra, Wingman
SOG:
PPP, PowerLock, SwitchPlier 2.0, Paratool, PowerAssist, Reactor, CrossCut, PowerPlay
Gerber:
FliK, MP600 ProScout, MP600 blunt, Dime, MP-1, Diesel, MP400
Bahco:
MTT151, MTT051, MTT121
Knives:
Spyderco PM2, Tatanka, Bug, ZT 0452CF, CS Recon1XL, Benchmade 940-1 and 482
SAKs:
Too many to list here...

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: February 09, 2017, 09:59:10 PM
Welcome to the forum  :cheers:

The Wingman or Sidekick would be a small step up but if you want a better quality and heavier duty move up to the Wave.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: February 09, 2017, 10:02:25 PM

The Wingman or Sidekick would be a small step up but if you want a better quality and heavier duty move up to the Wave.
If you want a lot better quality without more bulk get a Spirit.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: February 09, 2017, 10:03:30 PM

If you want a lot better quality without more bulk get a Spirit.

No pocket clip though

Offline WadeAllen

Reply #6 on: February 09, 2017, 10:21:46 PM
It was a gift from my now passed grandmother. So it carries that value. Lol. Kinda dumb. I know. But it is what it is. I've just grown very fond of it. Kind of like going home. I know where everything lies and such.  I know it's not a fancy one. I will likely repair and put it to the bedside table or riggin bag and look into the suggestions you all made.  If I do mod, it will be my first Leatherman mod and I have no clue what to put there unless I can find a awl or punch to put in that spot.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: February 09, 2017, 10:50:57 PM
Welcome to :MTO: Wade :cheers: I would get it fixed by LM warranty and put it up since it is a keepsake from a loved one that has passed :tu: I will echo that the SideKick and Wingman are both similar tools with just a little bit more and if you want a lot more then the Wave is a really great option :cheers: :cheers: :like:

Offline WadeAllen

Reply #8 on: February 09, 2017, 11:07:50 PM
Another one I've heard a few times in suggestions is the surge. I've just never laid hands on one to get a feel for it.

Thank you all for the warm welcome might I add. I look forward to being an active member. All I carry has been Leatherman products since I was about 13 years old and started to actually help work on things on the ranch, so I am kind of favoring to them.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: February 09, 2017, 11:14:36 PM
Another one I've heard a few times in suggestions is the surge. I've just never laid hands on one to get a feel for it.

Thank you all for the warm welcome might I add. I look forward to being an active member. All I carry has been Leatherman products since I was about 13 years old and started to actually help work on things on the ranch, so I am kind of favoring to them.

The Surge is a great tool but since you are use to the Rev size then you might see the Surge as a ummm...a boat anchor :rofl: Other than that you might love it :D
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 03:42:23 AM by Poncho65 »

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: February 10, 2017, 12:00:04 AM
Greeting and welcome.  Sorry about your tool.  Send in to LM and have it marked sentimental.  They'll fix ya right up.  In the mean time maybe looks at the originals like a PST or its larger brother the Supertool?  Both can be hard rather inexpensively and actually if you look at out sale thread you might find one you like. 

Good luck. 
Esse Quam Videri

Offline WadeAllen

Reply #11 on: February 10, 2017, 02:39:47 AM
I'm now gravitating to this Wave. Lol. Since it comes with an optional pocket clip. I've usually got heavier pockets and added weight on my self.

* IMG_0200.JPG (Filesize: 43.43 KB)

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: February 10, 2017, 03:18:05 AM
I'm now gravitating to this Wave. Lol. Since it comes with an optional pocket clip. I've usually got heavier pockets and added weight on my self.
My first leatherman was a charge (basically the same thing) with the bit kit, clip, and extension. I love those bits! I used to carry them all every single day and they came in quite handy! I dont carry them on my person as much anymore, but they are still extremely useful to have nearby!!

Offline WadeAllen

Reply #13 on: February 10, 2017, 03:21:42 AM
I think it will be a nice upgrade over my Rev and my Blast that I have now.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: February 10, 2017, 03:44:28 AM
I think it will be a nice upgrade over my Rev and my Blast that I have now.

The Blast is a great tool in it's own right :salute: Back when I first came here and was trying to get a tool to replace my PST the Blast won out over the Wave :o :D I of course have a couple more than that now though ::) :facepalm: :D

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #15 on: February 10, 2017, 07:08:51 AM
The Wave is a great tool.  The expanded capabilities with the bit kit and bit extender makes the tool pretty formidable.  I've got 2 sitting on my desk now and one in my truck.  I'm a big fan. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: February 12, 2017, 05:50:12 AM
I'm going to cross the picket line and say Spirit. :whistle:
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

us Offline NorCalJim

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: February 13, 2017, 05:40:19 AM

As long as you are looking at the Wave, you may want to give the Charge AL a look--same toolset but smoother and more ergonomically pleasing.  I have several Leatherman MTs including the Wave and two Charge models (AL & TTI).  The Wave/Charge makes it really easy to access the four outer tools and the interchangeable bit driver & 2 dimensional bits is a huge plus.

My problem has been that I like (and buy) too many multi-tools.  :)

I wouldn't want to give up any of my MTs but if I had to choose only one, it would be the Victorinox Spirit X.  Hopefully, this is not too treasonous to mention in a Leatherman fourm.

Good luck!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD