Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Ok, who here still carries a handkerchief

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Ok, who here still carries a handkerchief
on: February 15, 2017, 05:42:22 PM
Well like the subject says who carries a hanky? If so what kinda, the old school 20" square white ones? The 22-24" red or other color heavier ones? Or now a days these fancy 12" custom ones? I mean you like hot rods, so you get rat rods on one side and flames or checkers on the other, or comics, you get your fav one. Don't get me wrong I love the idea but I don't think anyone's going to blow their nose into something that nice? Not that I do with my simple white ones, that's where the couple stashed restaurant napkins come in, I use them more or less to just have and wipe my glasses.

So I was just wondering what everyone's thoughts are and what you carry?

I was kinda thinking of making one of these custom ones, just have to find fabric,,
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline LoopCutter

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Ok, who here still carries a handkerchief
Reply #1 on: February 15, 2017, 06:23:57 PM
Interesting question as it was a point mentioned in a recent Robert Deniro movie called the "Intern" I think. 
He also shaved every morning regardless if he was going to see anyone or not. 

For me, I carry lens cleaning packets for my glasses, boxed paper towels in work truck for the grime on hands, devices, tools and other surfaces.
Extra napkins from hotel in morning for cold air results of sinus drainage or back of my work gloves. 

But, handkerchief has not been carried since my then new bride stated, "I am not washing or folding these white rags!"   
Still have some in top drawer of dresser for funerals and weddings. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #2 on: February 15, 2017, 06:29:07 PM
I do. Never used them for a snot catching device. I use them basically as rags. White ones to whatever size or color they come in I use. Though the white ones I do have aren't really white any more.
Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: February 15, 2017, 06:52:29 PM
Interesting question as it was a point mentioned in a recent Robert Deniro movie called the "Intern" I think. 
He also shaved every morning regardless if he was going to see anyone or not. 

For me, I carry lens cleaning packets for my glasses, boxed paper towels in work truck for the grime on hands, devices, tools and other surfaces.
Extra napkins from hotel in morning for cold air results of sinus drainage or back of my work gloves. 

But, handkerchief has not been carried since my then new bride stated, "I am not washing or folding these white rags!"   
Still have some in top drawer of dresser for funerals and weddings. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lol, back in the day I moved in with family to go to college, and my aunt saw one that I threw in the wash after she had washed it and she flipped!! She started yelling at me, telling me not to use them, and NOT to put them in the wash! She didn't want any of her stuff getting snot all over, I said I don't blow my nose in them, still don't put them on the wash!! lol..
JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: February 15, 2017, 07:21:00 PM
Pocket square for when I'm dressed fancy.  Purely for aesthetics. 

I do carry a bandana to be used for whatever other than nose.  I carry a handkerchief not white tho for an occasional glasses wipe or to be given to a friend who may need a cloth.  They are bought inexpensively so giving them away is no problem.  I also have a paper towel folded within the kerchief which is a nose cloth if need be.   

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: February 15, 2017, 07:25:16 PM
I carry a large one because they are useful every now and then. Not as a snot rag though. More along the lines of what has been said here. Would be useful in a survival situation as well.

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #6 on: February 15, 2017, 07:32:14 PM
I carry a white square one everyday in my back left pocket. I have several and I rarely use them for blowing my nose. It's there is my little lady needs it or if a situation arrives where I need it as a fall back. I have red bandanas too but rarely carry those.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

us Offline metasyntax

Reply #7 on: February 15, 2017, 08:32:20 PM
I have two 18" cotton ones that I use routinely, one on the nightstand and one in the Maxpedition pouch. Red and blue, in a generic paisley pattern. I've had them for long enough that they're super soft. They do a much better job cleaning my eyeglasses than those microfiber clothes which just seem to move the smudges around. The one in my organizer also serves to keep things from scratching each other up in there (pens & pencils on one side, tools on the other). I might clean my watch face, polish a SAK blade, soak up a bit of excess oil or ink, or tie it around my head to keep the sweat off. I like them because they're light weight, take up little space, and have lots of improvised uses.
May it be as the Pattern has chosen.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: February 15, 2017, 08:42:46 PM
I carry a white square one everyday in my back left pocket. I have several and I rarely use them for blowing my nose. It's there is my little lady needs it or if a situation arrives where I need it as a fall back. I have red bandanas too but rarely carry those.

Lol, same pocket..
JR

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: February 16, 2017, 02:55:39 AM
Spring time yes. Just the cheap classic cotton red and blue paisley ones. I use them as a hankerdhief.

I think those nice fancy hip ones are for people taking pictures of their edc, only. It's just another item people can collect and spend money on out-doing each other.

Or for some of us, to actually wipe things with...
multi-tools—folding contraptions fixed with all kinds of doo-dads

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #10 on: February 16, 2017, 06:42:11 AM
Amen to that kaput!

us Offline David

Reply #11 on: February 16, 2017, 09:43:00 AM
I carry and use bandanas and wild rags in cotton and silk. They have a many uses. Blowing you nose into them is not one of them.    :D
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #12 on: February 16, 2017, 02:30:44 PM
Yes I carry a handkerchief and yes, if the need arises, I'll wipe my nose with it.  However if that's been necessary I'll not use it for anything else. :D
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline Act2uToo

Reply #13 on: February 16, 2017, 03:08:45 PM
I carry a handkerchief in my back right pocket.  Like has been said, it comes in handy in many situations. Most days I just use it to clean my glasses.

It's one of those things where it's better to have one and not need it, than to need it and not have one.   'Scuse me, I feel a sneeze coming...

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: February 16, 2017, 03:43:59 PM

Lol, same pocket..
JR
+1

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #15 on: February 16, 2017, 04:46:37 PM
A lens towel for camera and glasses, paper towelettes to clean my hands (or nose), a large red handkerchief as a scarf against the sun.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #16 on: February 16, 2017, 04:54:10 PM
Yeppers, have done for years. As a snot rag as a last resort! Otherwise, neckerchief, glasses cleaner, but mostly for bundling all my belongings in and tieing to a stick when I leave home and hobo it for a while.  :D
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

us Offline 4everYoung

Reply #17 on: February 16, 2017, 05:13:39 PM
I carry one mainly for wiping purposes. Usually it is used in cleaning requirements for my kids. These fancy ones I think are just a latest fad that make for good pictures.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #18 on: February 16, 2017, 05:58:01 PM
I see the fancy ones in pictures which are pretty nice by the way.  I do wonder if anyone is willing to chime in who has a fancy/expensive on that actually has been used. 

Here's my simple criteria for carrying a handkerchief, it has to be able to be disposable. 

I am not afraid to use it for WHATEVER and just toss it away.  If I needed to use if to stop bleeding then so be it.  If I wanted to blow my nose with it no problem.  If I had to handle something gross and used it then no problem there either. 

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #19 on: February 16, 2017, 06:25:43 PM
I carry a handkerchief in my back right pocket.  Like has been said, it comes in handy in many situations. Most days I just use it to clean my glasses.

It's one of those things where it's better to have one and not need it, than to need it and not have one.   'Scuse me, I feel a sneeze coming...
Yes I carry a handkerchief and yes, if the need arises, I'll wipe my nose with it.  However if that's been necessary I'll not use it for anything else. :D
Yes, if the time comes and there's no napkin laying around or you don't have one tucked away then yeah, it's perfect for the sneeze or wipe rather then using your sleeve!
JR

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #20 on: February 16, 2017, 06:42:51 PM
I see the fancy ones in pictures which are pretty nice by the way.  I do wonder if anyone is willing to chime in who has a fancy/expensive on that actually has been used. 

Here's my simple criteria for carrying a handkerchief, it has to be able to be disposable. 

I am not afraid to use it for WHATEVER and just toss it away.  If I needed to use if to stop bleeding then so be it.  If I wanted to blow my nose with it no problem.  If I had to handle something gross and used it then no problem there either.
You know where they probably came up with the idea of those, who's been to a restaurant who uses those reusable napkins? I mean your like afraid to use them, but that's what they give you!
   I love the idea of the custom one, their going to be twice as thick so that's gotta be why there only like 12 x 12" which isn't really usable if it came down to. Yeah to handle something, blow your nose, but not if you cut your arm and wrap it around and tie it off!

It would kinda be as if you need three diff,
1. Fancy custom, show.
2, normal white, the duty if need be, yet lens cleaner
3, the napkin, snot blower
JR

us Offline getahl

Reply #21 on: February 17, 2017, 03:04:41 AM
One gets carried every single day, as a general purpose rag in my back pocket. I've wiped my kids noses on occasion, but not often. I get the cheap paisley ones. I've a green one, a red one, and a bunch of blue.

us Offline Noa Isumi

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: February 18, 2017, 08:42:05 PM
I usually have a random bandana in my back pocket for general use meantioned by others, rarely for a cold. I never seem to have work gloves on me when I need to grab something sharp like the frame of a random appliance needing moved.

I do have some 30in camo ones I had made over a dozen years ago. These were specific for when I was playing paintball to keep paint out of my hair  if I took a mask shot. I kept them with my hunting gear after I stopped playing.
I used to be a lot of things, and someday will again.
But for now I'm just a lost jack of trades with neither mastery nor home. ~NoaIsumi

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #23 on: February 21, 2017, 09:50:58 PM
I have a sizeable moustache and I use nasal snuff, so generally carry two hankies. The ones I carry are dark coloured/patterned around 16" square.

Whichever is in my back right hand pocket is the snuff duster. I'll use this to dust off after taking a pinch of snuff, and to wipe the nose if needed. I try not to use this for blowing my nose, where possible that happens with tissue. The hanky in the back left pocket is the tache towel. If my moustache takes a dunk in my drink, and I need to tidy up, this is the hanky I reach for. In short, I suppose I have one for clean work and one for dirty work.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #24 on: March 01, 2017, 10:11:32 PM
Ok, was at wallyworld the other day and saw scraps of material and fig I'd give it a go on just putting two together and make something a little fancy. The little guy helped pick out which two what they call fat quarters(18x21) for only a buck each, then came the fun part, what size? Do I make only one perfect 12x12, or do I cut down and make 2, like 10x10, or cut down again and make 4, like 8x8? So I fig what's wrong with 8x8? It's a nice size and no sense of waisting it no?
   So I made a layout and used it to make identical sizes then cut them down to 9x9, and laid them down so I could sit them somewhere and put something on top to flatten the wrinkles, I mean I could get the iron out but that's too much work, lol. So tomorrow after appointments and can get some time I'll run them through the sewing machine and go to the next step, but here's what they look like so far, I think not to bad?
JR
IMG_6233.PNG
* IMG_6233.PNG (Filesize: 244.25 KB)
IMG_6234.PNG
* IMG_6234.PNG (Filesize: 282.9 KB)
IMG_6235.PNG
* IMG_6235.PNG (Filesize: 336.4 KB)

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #25 on: March 03, 2017, 09:32:21 PM
Ok, finally got some time to work on my project, I must say I think they turned out pretty good! Here's a few pics as I was working on them, and a few as I finished, but something kinda made me laugh, I guess all I have to do is flip them to which side in order to make things match huh? lol
JR
IMG_6258.PNG
* IMG_6258.PNG (Filesize: 373.04 KB)
IMG_6259.PNG
* IMG_6259.PNG (Filesize: 379.71 KB)
IMG_6257.PNG
* IMG_6257.PNG (Filesize: 386.85 KB)

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #26 on: March 03, 2017, 09:35:23 PM
I understand the utility of carrying a wipey thing in your pocket, but filling it up with snot and then carrying it around just ain't right. 

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #27 on: March 03, 2017, 10:03:25 PM
I understand the utility of carrying a wipey thing in your pocket, but filling it up with snot and then carrying it around just ain't right.
Loading with snot no, that's where the napkin comes in, but to cover the face and sneeze, yeah
JR

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: March 04, 2017, 02:00:09 AM
I'm trying to make it a habit. I bought a few in two different sizes and the smaller seem to suit my needs better. I mostly use them for cleaning my glasses and drying hands, those warm air dryers take forever.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #29 on: March 04, 2017, 03:35:15 AM
I'm trying to make it a habit. I bought a few in two different sizes and the smaller seem to suit my needs better. I mostly use them for cleaning my glasses and drying hands, those warm air dryers take forever.
Ain't that the truth!
JR

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%