Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Daughters small hip pack.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Daughters small hip pack.
on: February 09, 2017, 07:16:55 PM
I made some upgrades to my daughters small hip pack.  I changed out her MT from a Sidekick to a Wave.  I secured her Mora with a small band to better retain it.  She hasn't found any issues but I saw how Dave Canterbury did it on his so why the heck not?

I simplified her fire kit as well.  We went for things that will catch fire in most if not all conditions, fatwood, tinder quicks, jute twine, and alcohol pads.  The plastic bag container her 1st aid kit.  There is some duct tape there as well as a bandana.  In the fire kit on the lid is a large needle.  The tin itself can be used as a signal mirror as its very shiny inside.  I made a post about the differences in altoid tins interior surface being shinier in some that others.   

Her whistle isn't the best but its loud and bright and has never failed to sound off.

There is also a space blanket and compass I forgot to show.   

I think this little pack is good for a hike in more populated areas and as a companion to her larger pack in more desolate areas.  She carries either a hydration pack or Nalgene bottle for her water.     
IMG_2231.JPG
* IMG_2231.JPG (Filesize: 311.58 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Daughters small hip pack.
Reply #1 on: February 09, 2017, 07:26:44 PM
Oh and after some testing I might add a Olight H05 headlamp to her hike kit either for this pack or her day pack.  She has a headlamp but I'd like to get one with a smaller foot print and longer run times. 

Inside the CERT pouch is a poncho and 2 space blankets. 
IMG_2277.JPG
* IMG_2277.JPG (Filesize: 245.88 KB)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 08:05:45 PM by Aloha007 »
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #2 on: February 09, 2017, 09:18:39 PM
Nice kit Aloha. Well thought out.
Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: February 09, 2017, 10:45:01 PM
Nice kit Aloha. Well thought out.

+1  nice setup  :tu:

us Offline leathermon

• Better to have a tool, than be a tool.
Reply #4 on: February 09, 2017, 11:28:43 PM
Looks great

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: February 09, 2017, 11:53:59 PM
Now admittedly she only really carries the Mora one her hip when we go into less populated areas.  She tosses the Wave into the back pack as well at all times.  Its really just the hip pack she'll carry for jaunts closer to home and adds layers the further and longer we're out.  Remember she was the one who snapped the tip of this knife  :whistle:   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: February 10, 2017, 04:18:34 AM
Great setup there Aloha :cheers: :like: :like:

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #7 on: February 11, 2017, 04:33:44 PM
Indeed that is a great setup!

Maybe I missed it, but how old is your daughter?  It seems like she'd be well prepared for pretty well anything.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: February 11, 2017, 04:48:31 PM
Indeed that is a great setup!

Maybe I missed it, but how old is your daughter?  It seems like she'd be well prepared for pretty well anything.

Def

She's 17.  The space blankets arent the best answer to cold however she has 2 in that pack.  If taped they are very large and can help but fire would be a primary source of heat.  We've discussed and tested them as a fire wall rather than a wrap.  I find them all over the flea market so buy several to fool around with is no problem.  We live in a warm climate so I'm not too worried about cold however if we were headed to the mountains she'd definitely carry a back pack with other provisions.  Adding duct tape to the kits allows her to tape the corners of the space blanket to reinforce them so she could tie off and not rip it. 

We love practicing with fire.  Yes a lighter is always a go to however the magnesium bar and attached rod work wonderfully.  Next up is getting her a monster Ferro like I have.   

We have really got to practice more with knots  :D.  We are both excellent at granny knots  :rofl:.

She really loves getting outdoors and hiking.  We've done it since she was very young, I've hiked with all 3 kids since they were young.  She's the only one who still enjoys it  :think:

Esse Quam Videri

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #9 on: February 11, 2017, 04:53:43 PM
If she'still seventeen and she does more than stare at her iPhone and roll her eyes everything you speak then I think our are doing something right!   :tu:

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: February 15, 2017, 05:42:52 PM
Oh she loves her phone however she is keenly aware of time and place.  I think taking my kids out on adventures when they were very young was key.  They all enjoy being outdoors and here in SoCal we have plenty of sunshine so theres no excuse. 

We are also a few hours within the mountains and desert so lots of varied terrain. 

Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD