Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Hiking/Tramping/Backpacking/Exploring food on the go.

Aloha · 12 · 1091

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Hiking/Tramping/Backpacking/Exploring food on the go.
on: February 16, 2017, 05:44:22 PM
I know when I'm getting ready for anything outdoors I always think food.  I'm not talking making food in this instance however that is another conversation.  What I am talking about is easy to eat and carry foods ready to eat.  If I am out for less than 4 hours then I typically take a variety of easy to eat "trail" foods.  Generally speaking I don't always stop to eat so reaching into my cargo pocket or bag and taking a nibble is kinda where I'm going with this.  Anything however is up for discussion as always. 

What I like to bring is dried fruits and nuts.  I also love Cliff bars or most any bar in this category.  In the event I'm wanting a little more I will bring PB&J sandwich.  I have also been known to bring a tin of sardines.   

IMG_2331.JPG
* IMG_2331.JPG (Filesize: 184.13 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Re: Hiking/Tramping/Backpacking/Exploring food on the go.
Reply #1 on: February 16, 2017, 06:58:55 PM
I like a mix of hazelnuts, almonds, peanuts, and raisins. Basically any of the umpteen varieties of trail mix, so long as they don't end up too sweet. A simple “matpakke” works fine too.

A Norwegian “matpakke” is usually some slices of bread with butter, cheese, salami or any other stuff which tolerates handling and unrefrigerated storage well. The word simply means “a package of food”. It's the Norwegian bento or packed lunch. Traditionally, warm lunch is not very common in Norway, so everybody, from school children to factory workers, have eaten packed lunches. Why did I explain this? Because I find it enjoyable to read about other cultures' varieties of solutions to everyday problems myself.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Packed_lunch vs https://nn.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matpakke#/media/File:Sandwich_with_egg.jpg ;)

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 07:21:27 PM
I too find it very interesting what one culture calls a packed lunch.  I recall posting about what breakfast is to others. 

"Trail mix" is my go to.  I do like a bit of naturally sweet like the dried fruits.  I try to stay away from too salty. 
Esse Quam Videri

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: February 16, 2017, 08:20:17 PM
A fair amount of salt can be fine if I expect to sweat a lot, otherwise it's just a tasty way to be unhealthy. :)

That said, I like salted peanuts, but most nuts I prefer with no salt or glazing. (Yes, I know peanuts are a legume.)

I'm a sucker for dried sour cherries, but to me they're more of a snack than food on the go.

no Offline Grathr

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: February 17, 2017, 05:51:52 PM
When I go hunting/fishing or go on day hikes, I often pack sliced bread, rolls or a pack of Polarbrød (polar bread(?) this stuff: http://www.polarbrod.no ) and a pack of salami and some cheese or tube cheese.

-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: February 18, 2017, 01:12:31 PM
I buy more Polarbrød than common bread, it's just ridiculously practical.

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: February 20, 2017, 11:17:47 AM
The search goes on, we're trying to hike at least 10km+ on any given Sunday.

Since the walks got longer I started taking water along for the dogs, 2kg's extra helps increase the exercise.

Normally I never took food or water for what amounts to a long walk, but more recently we started taking 1 or 2 breaks along the way, including some snacks.

Sunday before last I had Tuna (foil pack) and dried Mango strips, and for a few minutes after we resumed hiking I had no energy. Not tired or breathing hard, just legs of lead....

Still a fascinating  topic and I'm trying various alternatives, might just need it for the toughest hike in the country....becoming more of a possibility each day.....

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: February 21, 2017, 09:00:48 PM
Mars bar and a coke?

usual "trail" food is a mix of whatever the hell I feel like when I'm in the shops - Peanuts, cashews, ginger, pistachios, walnuts, macadamias, etc etc.

If I'm waterborn I'll usually have dry biscuits (savoy or sao or the like).

When I can be bothered I'll make jerky.

in the cooler areas/months I'll take a salami and cheese sanger.

Oh, and water.

Take water.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: February 21, 2017, 10:28:50 PM
I try and avoid anything "sticky", so while I love dates I don't eat them unless I can wash my fingers afterwards.  One fruit snack that hasn't been mentioned yet (I think) is dried apply rings.  Yummy. :drool:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: February 21, 2017, 10:32:41 PM
Oh, and how could I forget Kendal Mint Cake?  While I have nothing against chocolate in general it always seems to be either too hot (melted) or too cold (rock hard) when I'm hiking.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • I brake for cake
Reply #10 on: February 23, 2017, 12:10:20 PM
Anything that's easy to get into and hard to drop (when I'm on my bike).  Bananas, malt loaf, small pork pies, peanut M&Ms, fig rolls and my favourite: hot cross buns with honey and peanut butter.  After a while I start to crave apples.

Offline lurkee

Reply #11 on: March 10, 2017, 03:35:03 AM
yep, sardines are a really good choice, for several reasons.  But mostly, I pack almond butter, Tang, instant oatmeal, Just stir and eat with a spoon, like it was cookie dough. Drink some of the Tang, some powdered Gatorade, and if long term, take along some multi-vitamin and mineral pills. I once lived on such a mix (but it was peanut butter)  for 6 weeks, and my running and iron-pumping did not suffer.  But I was in my 30's, and also lived 6 weeks on nothing but Ramen noodles. :-) There was a madman in UK prison who performed fantastic feats on a diet of nothing more than porridge, for years. His book is entitled "Solitary Workout". I once lived for 2 years in a mini-van, as I went to college. Mostly ate chille dogs from the Easy go, tuna salad and cracker snacks from Aldis', along with jello and mixed fruit. I lived on sales of my blood plasma, saved my college loans to go get a Filipino dentist. She's in dental college here, working full time as a dental hygienist, clears 40k a year. :-) there's almost always a way, if you can buy yourself some time and know where to look.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 03:37:58 AM by lurkee »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD