Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad by logging in.

Silly little folding shovels- what good are they? 1249

Wielder of the Bow of Banishment. Admin Team Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 29,765 El Presidente del Fan Club Micky D
Re: Silly little folding shovels- what good are they?
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2017, 09:01:28 AM »
This thread cost me some money as well. ::)  I decided to go down a slightly different path and got myself a compact shovel rather than a folding one.

Not my pic, but you get the idea.

Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 5,934 Cats have pocket knives of their own
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2017, 11:21:49 AM »
After both my front wheels got stuck in a dune, I got a Glock entrenching tool. I haven't really tested it yet but I tried it a little and it works well and feels quite solid.

I also keep a mat in the trunk now.

Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.
No Life Club Posts: 3,512 Smurf it!
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2017, 12:43:13 PM »
After both my front wheels got stuck in a dune, I got a Glock entrenching tool. I haven't really tested it yet but I tried it a little and it works well and feels quite solid.

I've got a small folding shovel in the car and I don't think I've ever had to use it

“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Sr. Member Posts: 253
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2017, 01:58:20 AM »
Smashie - if you have the kind of luck I have, the day you leave it at home will be the day you need it.

John.
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2017, 02:02:45 AM »
Smashie - if you have the kind of luck I have, the day you leave it at home will be the day you need it.

John.

That's why I have a big winch. not much sand or snow here so in mud the winch is the way to go lol

“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
Head Turd Polisher Administrator He who has the most nuts, wins! Posts: 57,813 Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2017, 03:20:02 AM »

John.

You too huh?

:facepalm:

John.

That's why I have a big winch. not much sand or snow here so in mud the winch is the way to go lol

Assuming you can find something to winch off of.  It's always a bit of an embarrassment when you have to explain to a neighbor how his car ended up in a hold with your Defender!

A friend of mine with a Jeep like mine, but lifted, thought he would play a joke on one of his paintball friends.  When the other guy was distracted, my friend snuck up and hooked his Jeep winch cable to the other guys FJ Cruiser then snuck back to his Jeep.  Using the winch remote he attempted to look as innocent as possible then started reeling in the cable.

Both vehicles were on ice at the time, but the FJ weighs a lot more than the JKU, and the Jeep started crawling across the lot towards the FJ.  The FJ owner looked up and saw the Jeep coming towards him, with my friend laughing his ass off so hard that he dropped the remote.

Low speed collision with both vehicles in Park and neither engine running....

Def

NEW!   NEW!   NEW!   NEW!   NEW!   NEW!   NEW!

NEW PRODUCTS ADDED DAILY!
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 6,503
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2017, 09:35:51 AM »

Glock e-tool is one of the best on the market

Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob
« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2017, 12:03:39 PM »

Glock e-tool is one of the best on the market

I should think so, if it's half as tough as their knife sharpened prybar.

The design is well thought out. For instance I dig (pun intended) the groove in the spade's middle; it allows the whole to become even more compact when folded but, more importantly, it helps remove more material with each stroke.

The added woodsaw is nice to have on it's own right, the fact it doubles as a lever or screwdriver to help tighten the knob is just great.

« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2017, 12:30:22 PM »

I've got a small folding shovel in the car and I don't think I've ever had to use it

Ahh, but you drive an off-road beast with a winch ;) I drive a 1.4lt essence Citroen C4.

I wasn't really off-roadind when we got stuck in that dune. It was on a dirt road inside a pine forest on the way to the beach. My car can handle a dry dirt road but I had to make way for another car to pass and I didn't realise there was an actual dune on my right.

I had to ask my wife to keep pressing on the hood  as I couldn't find large enough rocks and we got out eventually but had I been able to remove enough sand quickly we'd be out much easier. That's where I decided I needed a folding shovel.

I'd been meaning to get one anyway and hope I never have to use it for an emergency. There are a few cases where one might be needed, summer fires for example. It could be used to put out a fire or clear the area of combustible material.

In conclusion, a folding shovel is one of the tools I feel belongs in a car's trunk :)

Head Turd Polisher Administrator He who has the most nuts, wins! Posts: 57,813 Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2017, 01:12:45 PM »
I agree with that completely even if you aren't an off roader.  There has not been a winter in my adult life that I haven't had to help push a car out of the snow, and I can't help but feel that these people may have been able to solve their own issues if they'd been able to dig it away from the wheels a little bit.

Def

« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2017, 01:21:21 PM »
I agree with that completely even if you aren't an off roader.  There has not been a winter in my adult life that I haven't had to help push a car out of the snow, and I can't help but feel that these people may have been able to solve their own issues if they'd been able to dig it away from the wheels a little bit.

Def

Or ever carry a couple of bits of old carpet, works wonder

« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2017, 01:55:48 PM »
This is Multitool.org- carry both.  :D

Def

Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 5,235 Hook enthusiast
« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2017, 02:39:00 PM »
This is Multitool.org- carry both.  :D

Def
Or all.  :ahhh

Hooked, like everyone else. :D

Small knives do what big knives do, just slower.

My 30 day pen challenge! Pretty(?) Pictures inside:
Official 30 Day Pen Challenge!
« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2017, 01:06:53 AM »
We were out in the woods today testing a new stove (more on that later :)) and the SOG Entrenching Tool performed excellently.

Mind you, there wasn't nearly as much heavy pounding as I subjected the Gerber to, but still it came in extremely handy.

Def

No Life Club Posts: 3,313
« Reply #44 on: August 02, 2017, 11:34:45 PM »
Mind you, there wasn't nearly as much heavy pounding as I subjected the Gerber to, but still it came in extremely handy.

pfrsantos should be along shortly....

Operational Funds

Keep the Unworkable working! Donate with PayPal!
November Goal: $275.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: $372.43
PayPal Fees: $22.89
Net Balance: $349.54
Above Goal: $74.54
Site Currency: USD
127% 
November Donations

Community Links