Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Why I Don't Like Alox

Swiss Guy · 144 · 14539

us Offline El Corkscrew

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Why I Don't Like Alox
Reply #120 on: March 18, 2017, 05:38:38 PM
I just joined the forum today and I posted an introductory thread. I have read some of the responses to that thread and I feel very welcome already. However, I think that after writing this, I may just get banned.

First, I want to say that I think the Alox SAKs are gorgeous. I have an Alox Farmer, which sits in a drawer and it looks very good just sitting there in the drawer. The Alox scales are also a bit thinner than the Cellidor scaled SAKs but the difference is minimal.

The reason I only have one Alox SAK is because the Alox knives have far more limitations than benefits for me. <--- emphasis on "for me" because we all have our preferences.

The Alox knives are missing the back layer of tools. No parcel hook. No corkscrew/Phillips. No mini screwdriver, chisel... etc. Yes, there is an awl but there is that piece on top of the awl (to get it out of the SAK) that makes it seem more difficult to use as an awl. I realize that some of you love that the Alox knives do not have the parcel hook or corkscrew because those tools are sometimes seen as useless. However, I have found a use for those tools many times and I would not want to do away with them.

The Alox knives are missing the toothpick and tweezers. The toothpick is not used much but the tweezers get a fair amount of use. I am 43 years old and the tweezers keep me from looking like the hair on my head has migrated to my ears and nose. My girlfriend would mention that my eyebrows need some tweezer help as well.

There are no "Plus" Alox scales; no pen or pin available. I use the pen a lot and I would have to carry an extra pen with me if I did not have them in my SAK.

Once the Alox scales are beat up, that's it; you now have beat up scales. A little wear on Alox scales only enhances the beauty but I know some of us want to keep the pristine look of our user knives. With the normal Cellidor scales, when they get beat up, they are easily replaced. Not only can you replace them, you can change the color as well. Right now I have SAKs in Red, Cobalt, Hunter, White, Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald, Black and StayGlow. If I get tired of one color, I can always switch it to another within a couple minutes.

I am not going to give up my Farmer but I will not purchase any more Alox SAKs. For those of you who love Alox, you can rest assured that you will not have to compete with me the next time you see an Alox SAK pop up on eBay.   :rofl:

I just found this thread and it has me rolling!!!

Cheers to Swiss Guy for having the courage to start this thread.  :cheers:  I'm more of an "I like them all" kind of guy to quote Daniel Plainview.    Compact is my hero.  I actually just purchased my first Alox, an '03 Vic Soldier, and was browsing the Alox threads and found this.  Very entertaining indeed!

“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #121 on: March 19, 2017, 02:06:59 AM
See, I wouldn't say I don't like alox. I just prefer titanium  ;)

us Offline Swiss Guy

Reply #122 on: March 19, 2017, 02:35:12 AM

Cheers to Swiss Guy for having the courage to start this thread.  :cheers:  I'm more of an "I like them all" kind of guy to quote Daniel Plainview.    Compact is my hero.  I actually just purchased my first Alox, an '03 Vic Soldier, and was browsing the Alox threads and found this.  Very entertaining indeed!

Thanks for that comment. My current EDC is a titanium scaled Swiss Champ. For me, it is the best of both worlds.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 02:40:59 AM by Swiss Guy »
The right tool is the one you have on you

us Offline NorCalJim

• No Life Club
Reply #123 on: March 19, 2017, 02:50:15 AM
This is a great "Click Bait" topic!

I don't think that Swiss Guy intended to create a click bait topic, but I think it has an irresistible draw!  Whether or not a person likes or dislikes Alox SAKs, I would expect them to want to click on this thread. :)

I read the original post and it pointed out some definite advantages of Cellidor vs Alox scales.  I was smiling as I read through the post because I had many internal debates concerning the Alox Minichamp vs the Cellidor Minichamp.  I finally ordered the Alox Minichamp through Amazon but although Amazon listed the item as "in stock", I finally had to cancel when the item still hadn't shipped after waiting a month.  I still have the Alox Minichamp on my wish list but I don't think that my internal debates are over.

Looking at Alox vs. Cellidor SAKs, the Cellidor SAKs have more tools and more functionality, mostly at a lower price.  So Celllidor SAKs win, right?  Yes, if you are basing your choice purely on utility (first kind of cool).  Probably not, if you are basing your choice on what YouTube personality Nutnfancy terms the second kind of cool (aesthetic beauty and just got to have it attraction) plus the 93mm Alox models have a larger, thicker knife blade.  And when I need an awl to make extra notches in my belts, I get my Pioneer X!

What's my opinion?  I love them both and wouldn't dream about giving up either type of SAK!

us Offline NorCalJim

• No Life Club
Reply #124 on: March 19, 2017, 02:51:23 AM

Thanks for that comment. My current EDC is a titanium scaled Swiss Champ. For me, it is the best of both worlds.

(Image removed from quote.)

:like: :like: :like:

Very nice!!!

:cheers: :cheers:

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #125 on: March 19, 2017, 03:24:20 AM

That's looking pretty classy.   :cheers:
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

us Offline Forklift

Reply #126 on: March 19, 2017, 06:10:53 AM
I gotta hand it to Swiss Guy.  Having the balls to speak against Alox on this forum is like saying you don't like rainbows or puppies.  I have mixed feelings about Alox.  They are definitely the nicest knives that Victorinox makes.  The blade certainly cuts better than the 91's but I have 2 reasons why I don't typically carry Alox.  First, I have two teeth that food gets stuck between every time I eat anything so having a toothpick on me at all times is critical.  Second I often wear sweatpants or pajama pants at night and on the weekends and apparently the Alox knives hate shallow loose pockets because they try to escape every time I sit down or jump up due to their higher density.
Also, as far as backside tools go I assume people with fat fingers hate them while people with skinny fingers think it is a practical use of space.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #127 on: March 19, 2017, 07:31:06 AM
See, I wouldn't say I don't like alox. I just prefer titanium  ;)

You sir, really should be posting daily pics of this beauty.   :drool:   :drool:

gb Offline Fast Bill

• No Life Club
  • Carpe titanium
Reply #128 on: March 19, 2017, 08:08:34 AM
There's got to be a solution to the toothpick /tweezers/pen issue for alox. It's the main thing holding me back from more permanent alox carry.

Can we fix it?

This. 150% with you Grass  :cheers:
Per Titanium Ad Tearoom.
Apex predator of fruit cake

gb Offline Fast Bill

• No Life Club
  • Carpe titanium
Reply #129 on: March 19, 2017, 08:21:21 AM
Maybe this thread should be titled "Why I don't like Alox and Learned to Love Titanium" ?

Syph's work in Titanium 91mm is a joy to behold and great to carry. It is nearly the answer to Life, The Universe and Everything for me*

With no apologies whatsoever here's my Compleat Fisherman

* Tweezers - great ... but I miss the Toothpick !
Compleat Fishnets.jpg
* Compleat Fishnets.jpg (Filesize: 144.07 KB)
Per Titanium Ad Tearoom.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #130 on: March 19, 2017, 09:10:36 AM
I love this thread for showing the other side of the alox argument.
An argument is not complete until you see both sides.   :2tu:
Thank you Swiss guy!
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

tr Offline ddogu

• No Life Club
Reply #131 on: March 19, 2017, 10:54:18 AM
Finally a topic where I can come out of closet and shout out that I DO NOT LIKE ALOX, too!
Phew, that was a relief... I have been forcing myself to like the alox tools, having seen the posts of all those fans but finally a place where nylon-scale lovers can epress their feelings freely, without any guilt.  :like:  :ahhh

Thank you thank you :)  :tu: :tu: :salute:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #132 on: March 19, 2017, 10:59:55 AM
Finally a topic where I can come out of closet and shout out that I DO NOT LIKE ALOX, too!
Phew, that was a relief... I have been forcing myself to like the alox tools, having seen the posts of all those fans but finally a place where nylon-scale lovers can epress their feelings freely, without any guilt.  :like:  :ahhh

Thank you thank you :)  :tu: :tu: :salute:

:rofl: :rofl:  :tu:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #133 on: March 19, 2017, 04:47:58 PM
I love this thread for showing the other side of the alox argument.
An argument is not complete until you see both sides.   :2tu:
Thank you Swiss guy!

Totally!

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #134 on: March 19, 2017, 06:53:50 PM
No ALOX?!?!?!   :o

"Now drop and give me twenty!!!"

:rofl:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #135 on: March 19, 2017, 07:02:13 PM
 :rofl: :like:

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #136 on: March 19, 2017, 07:43:24 PM

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

gb Offline Fast Bill

• No Life Club
  • Carpe titanium
Reply #137 on: March 19, 2017, 08:36:24 PM

The only question you need to ask yourself Robert is ... are we laughing with you ? Or not ?  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Per Titanium Ad Tearoom.

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #138 on: March 19, 2017, 08:54:29 PM

The only question you need to ask yourself Robert is ... are we laughing with you ? Or not ?  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

:rofl: :rofl: With me I hope because I sure laughed at the original!!!!

-Language-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Dy2fo6E_pI

« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 08:55:57 PM by SAK Guy »
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline The Lone Wanderer

• High Octane Gasoline
Reply #139 on: March 19, 2017, 08:58:25 PM
While I enjoy my Wenger Standard Issue, I honestly prefer the 111mm series to both the 93mm and 91mm by a long ways.
Last of the V8 Interceptors

us Offline cali-SAK-attack

• No Life Club
Reply #140 on: March 19, 2017, 10:55:14 PM
While I enjoy my Wenger Standard Issue, I honestly prefer the 111mm series to both the 93mm and 91mm by a long ways.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: - YOU CHARACTERS crack me up!  :pok: :D :whistle:
***CLICK on my pics to see actual sized photo :)

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #141 on: March 19, 2017, 11:10:37 PM
Can someone hook me ip with mod privileges for a couple of hours please.

Have a whole thread worth of people who need the axe.

de Offline Hambango

Reply #142 on: March 19, 2017, 11:38:11 PM

I wholeheartedly agree!  :cheers:
Once Victorinox decides to build a 111mm SAK with the Cybertool's bit holder, I'll never have to buy another SAK!  :gimme:

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #143 on: March 20, 2017, 06:22:59 PM
My feelings about alox were comparable to Swiss Guy's, initially. Those feelings were based upon the Soldier knife, which I found to be only half a SAK. I still don't like the Soldier. However, lately I've been carrying a Carver and an alox MiniChamp, and I love them. I still need a cellidor SAK to get a full complement of tools though.
DSC04699-carver and-climber.jpg
* DSC04699-carver and-climber.jpg (Filesize: 282.91 KB)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 06:26:06 PM by Ronald Schröder »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $279.86
PayPal Fees: $14.66
Net Balance: $265.20
Below Goal: $34.80
Site Currency: USD