Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Dime Travel

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Dime Travel
on: February 11, 2017, 01:49:51 AM
Gerber has a new version of the Dime out that I was unaware of- the Dime Travel.

At first I kind of looked at it and thought "ok, so they replaced the blade with a hook- what the heck good is that?"

Then I read that the hook isn't just a hook, it is designed to pull broken zippers after the airlines have had their way with your luggage.  And, I have indeed experienced the special ways that airlines treat luggage, similar to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YGc4zOqozo

The airlines have trashed more than a few of my bags and I am not a huge traveller- I wonder how many of my friends that travel for a living manage it- they must have to buy new luggage quarterly!   :ahhh

Airline complaints aside, those experiences really make this one appeal to me, and we all know how little I am interested in supposedly TSA compliant tools.  I won't go into why I don't care for them as it is well documented, but I can honestly see this one being of great use, not just for abused luggage but also for regular zippers.  Being Canadian I struggle with broken or frozen zippers every winter, and I also see benefits for people with hand related issues, as zippers, especially on pants can be very hard to get a hold of.

Plus, Ii like the Dime in general, so I may have to try this one out.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

se Offline WiseDuck

• Quack!
Re: Dime Travel
Reply #1 on: February 11, 2017, 02:34:00 PM
I have this one and I've only had an opportunity to take it abroad once so far. I took it with me to London and I may have used it to open a bottle or two, that's about it. It takes up little room, it weighs almost nothing so it is worth having on you. The airport people did check it thoroughly, I guess they've never seen travel specific multitools before. I like it. It's a good tool to have.

hk Offline aurabattler

Reply #2 on: February 11, 2017, 05:20:57 PM
I have it and it is good.  It is not an amazing tool and it is not surprizingly good but for this price point and being travel friendly,  and the functionality given the compact size. It is good :like:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: February 11, 2017, 11:26:40 PM
I still probably wouldn't try travelling with it since I'm super paranoid about TSA (and equivalent) entanglements.  There were times in my life where I couldn't fly anywhere, even domestically, and even well before 9/11 without being "randomly selected for additional screening."

Even nowadays I still get pulled aside more often than not, despite wearing nothing more than a loose fitting shirt, cargo shorts and sandals or flip flops.   ::)

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #4 on: February 12, 2017, 02:13:39 AM
I still probably wouldn't try travelling with it since I'm super paranoid about TSA (and equivalent) entanglements.  There were times in my life where I couldn't fly anywhere, even domestically, and even well before 9/11 without being "randomly selected for additional screening."

Even nowadays I still get pulled aside more often than not, despite wearing nothing more than a loose fitting shirt, cargo shorts and sandals or flip flops.   ::)

Def

They can tell that you are up to some kind of mischief just by looking at your face  :pok:   :rofl:

On the other hand, my missus and I must have an invisible "you really can trust us" etched on our foreheads, we are often surprised at just how much total strangers trust us for no discernible reason.  ???
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #5 on: February 12, 2017, 06:13:39 AM
I believe you.  :)

I used to carry a dime, checked luggage, when traveling for a few years but I now take a new squirt with me. It is just a so much better made tool.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: February 12, 2017, 02:10:38 PM

Def

They can tell that you are up to some kind of mischief just by looking at your face  :pok:   :rofl:

On the other hand, my missus and I must have an invisible "you really can trust us" etched on our foreheads, we are often surprised at just how much total strangers trust us for no discernible reason.  ???

I'm not very good at putting my well being in the hands of others, so I prepare for the worst and don't give them any opportunity to get me.

One time I was flying to my brother's wedding and I had decided to carry his present with me so it wouldn't get trashed.  They made me rip open the gift (a kitchen set, but with no knives in it) and mail this:

Apparently according to airline security this constitutes a weapon of mass destruction, and they were going to make an example of me.  If course, I didn't know my brother's address, so I mailed it to my parents, for them to give to my brother since they were marginally closer, at only 400 miles, versus my thousand.   ::)

I have also been pulled aside and grilled because the airline lost my bag- something I had nothing to do with, but was apparently not supposed to know about.  And another time I was searched because I dared to have a pack of M&M's with me- and they weren't even peanut MM's.   ::)

Def

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: February 12, 2017, 03:06:09 PM
I may order one of these to try out. I will be traveling soon. This one or the style ps.... hmm

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #8 on: February 22, 2017, 03:38:13 PM
My favorite implement on the Dime is the package opener, so the Travel has never really appealed to me. Though I imagine if you have any of the zipper-related issues Grant mentions, it would be a damn handy little tool.

On a related note, if I break a zipper, I tend to just thread some paracord through it and move on. If the bag didn't come with that feature already, like my Maxpedition gear.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%