Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Any love for the Craftsman?

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Any love for the Craftsman?
on: February 21, 2017, 12:22:58 AM
I don't see this sak chatted about very often or really at all so wondering what you folks think about it?

As many of you may know my preferred EDC is the Explorer and I also like the Swisschamp and even the Champ Plus so I guess I am an inline philips and mag lens kinda guy.  With that said I do like the tool set it has for its size but have my concerns about how useful the back philips is in many situations like recessed screws or tighter spaces to where you cant turn the sak to use the philips properly.  Anyone else worry or think about this with these back philips? 

I have one of these Craftsman now and to me it is close to a perfect EDC except for what I mentioned above with the philips and the fact that I like the mag lens.  Now I am sure I won't die if I didn't have the mag lens but I do use it so I do prefer sak's that have it.  I won't say that I don't like this sak just because it doesn't have the inline or mag lens as it does seem to have a very good tool set.  Would I carry it over the Explorer or even the Swisschamp as my EDC?  I don't know how comfortable I would be in doing so but maybe I should give it a try!

For those of you who don't worry about the philips issue or care for or need the mag lens, then I would think that this sak has to be considered one of the better EDC sak's out there tool wise and layer wise!  Am I wrong?  :)

Thx.

FYI - this is the only sak I have that has the back philips and I keep thinking about getting rid of it because it doesn't have my inline and mag layer but for some reason I seem to hold onto it!  :)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 12:28:34 AM by sir_mike »

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Re: Any love for the Craftsman?
Reply #1 on: February 21, 2017, 12:58:05 AM
A really useful toolset and in the corkscrew version (the Handyman) it's one of my faves!!!

I have several old versions with the fishscaler and a two current versions....a std red and this one:

- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline NorCalJim

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: February 21, 2017, 01:54:45 AM
I don't see this sak chatted about very often or really at all so wondering what you folks think about it?

As many of you may know my preferred EDC is the Explorer and I also like the Swisschamp and even the Champ Plus so I guess I am an inline philips and mag lens kinda guy.  With that said I do like the tool set it has for its size but have my concerns about how useful the back philips is in many situations like recessed screws or tighter spaces to where you cant turn the sak to use the philips properly.  Anyone else worry or think about this with these back philips? 

I have one of these Craftsman now and to me it is close to a perfect EDC except for what I mentioned above with the philips and the fact that I like the mag lens.  Now I am sure I won't die if I didn't have the mag lens but I do use it so I do prefer sak's that have it.  I won't say that I don't like this sak just because it doesn't have the inline or mag lens as it does seem to have a very good tool set.  Would I carry it over the Explorer or even the Swisschamp as my EDC?  I don't know how comfortable I would be in doing so but maybe I should give it a try!

For those of you who don't worry about the philips issue or care for or need the mag lens, then I would think that this sak has to be considered one of the better EDC sak's out there tool wise and layer wise!  Am I wrong?  :)

Thx.

FYI - this is the only sak I have that has the back philips and I keep thinking about getting rid of it because it doesn't have my inline and mag layer but for some reason I seem to hold onto it!  :)

Great tool set but why stop at 6 layers?  For me, the Explorer gives me the magnifier and inline Philips together with the essentials in a practical carry 4 layer form factor. If pliers are important, then I can easily carry a LM Juice S2 in another pocket for a set of superior pliers.  For those planning to carry the Craftsman in a small belt pouch, they could just as easily carry a Swiss Champ or a Spirit X.

So love for the Craftsman? Strong like, maybe...and a sample for my collection but my love is reserved for SAKs with magnifiers and inline philips with Explorer at the top for portability, followed closely by the Swiss Champ (yeah, I include the magnifier bunch such as Champion, Yeoman, Woodsman, Passenger, Scientist, etc.) 

BTW, no disrespect intended for the Victorinox pliers.  I admire this precision tool for what it can do but for all-around tasks requiring pliers, I would look to a LM tool.  In my case, with very modest requirements, a Juice is more than sufficient.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 02:00:01 AM by NorCalJim »

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #3 on: February 21, 2017, 02:21:58 AM
A really useful toolset and in the corkscrew version (the Handyman) it's one of my faves!!!

I have several old versions with the fishscaler and a two current versions....a std red and this one:
(Image removed from quote.)

I have tried to use the flat screwdrivers on some philips with limited luck on the screws I tried so at least having the philips is better than not having any philips at all. 

Off subject for the most part but since you mentioned the cork screw, I also watched a video earlier that had me thinking that shows that the mini screwdriver doesn't actually fit many eye glasses so why bother carrying one?  :)

Thx.

Great tool set but why stop at 6 layers?  For me, the Explorer gives me the magnifier and inline Philips together with the essentials in a practical carry 4 layer form factor. If pliers are important, then I can easily carry a LM Juice S2 in another pocket for a set of superior pliers.  For those planning to carry the Craftsman in a small belt pouch, they could just as easily carry a Swiss Champ or a Spirit X.

So love for the Craftsman? Strong like, maybe...and a sample for my collection but my love is reserved for SAKs with magnifiers and inline philips with Explorer at the top for portability, followed closely by the Swiss Champ (yeah, I include the magnifier bunch such as Champion, Yeoman, Woodsman, Passenger, Scientist, etc.) 

BTW, no disrespect intended for the Victorinox pliers.  I admire this precision tool for what it can do but for all-around tasks requiring pliers, I would look to a LM tool.  In my case, with very modest requirements, a Juice is more than sufficient.

Yeah, your preaching to the choir here, as I have been EDC'ing the Explorer for years so I know how good it is and that is why I have four of them.  I too always look at the idea of if I carry something with 6 layers or so why not just go with a Swisschamp and this is part of the reason why I mentioned it as my other sak choices.  I dont require the plier's but do like to see that option on less layered sak's as they can be handy if you use them like super tweezers!
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 02:26:55 AM by sir_mike »

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #4 on: February 21, 2017, 02:28:09 AM
I like mine a lot.  I kind of think of it ad a pocket-friendly Swisschamp!  I have to say, though, that I prefer the Ranger for its size and the Explorer for that lovely inline Philips/mag glass layer.  The pliers are handy, but not enough to justify the added bulk.
Barry

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: February 21, 2017, 02:31:41 AM
If I had one I would talk about it :D They are a great SAK and the older version is the fraternal twin brother to the Ranger :dd: one with corkscrew other with Phillips :cheers: I always have a MT with a Phillips driver or at least always have my Gerber Shard so the Phillips thing isn't as big of a deal and that is why I am content with the Ranger I guess :think:

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #6 on: February 21, 2017, 03:48:01 AM
"Off subject for the most part but since you mentioned the cork screw, I also watched a video earlier that had me thinking that shows that the mini screwdriver doesn't actually fit many eye glasses so why bother carrying one?  :)"

Well sir mike I carry it because it fits the battery compartments of my six year olds myriad toys like a boss.

#Littlegirlshero

us Offline NorCalJim

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: February 21, 2017, 03:58:02 AM

I have tried to use the flat screwdrivers on some philips with limited luck on the screws I tried so at least having the philips is better than not having any philips at all. 

Off subject for the most part but since you mentioned the cork screw, I also watched a video earlier that had me thinking that shows that the mini screwdriver doesn't actually fit many eye glasses so why bother carrying one?  :)

Thx.

Yeah, your preaching to the choir here, as I have been EDC'ing the Explorer for years so I know how good it is and that is why I have four of them.  I too always look at the idea of if I carry something with 6 layers or so why not just go with a Swisschamp and this is part of the reason why I mentioned it as my other sak choices.  I dont require the plier's but do like to see that option on less layered sak's as they can be handy if you use them like super tweezers!

I have the same impression as you do of the Vic pliers as having super tweezer capability.  You really could use them as tweezers.

BTW, no preaching intended.  You asked if there is any love for the Craftsman and I indicated strong like but no love for the reasons stated.  My own personal preference is to supplement my Explorer, if needed, with another tool.  My particular viewpoint concerning the Craftsman is that it is close enough in size to the Swiss Champ that I would prefer the Swiss Champ.  No equation has me carrying the Craftsman.  :)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 03:59:11 AM by NorCalJim »

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #8 on: February 21, 2017, 05:02:26 AM
Very interesting debates here.

For me I very much like the inline Phillips and the mag glass too - And appreciate that the inline is way more useful for tight spaces etc etc
I do like the Swisschamp and carry it sometimes - Always feels so good and makes me feel well prepared - Although I used to think of it as ridiculous !!!
I believe it is pocket friendly - but only for tough trousers eg jeans, heavy shorts - Not for 'office' trousers - So a weekender for me.
But six layers for sure is more pocket friendly.

But this comment really jumped out at me:
My particular viewpoint concerning the Craftsman is that it is close enough in size to the Swiss Champ that I would prefer the Swiss Champ.  No equation has me carrying the Craftsman:)
I have always wondered why Vic withdrew the larger back spring Phillips (Craftsman/Master Craftsman) and subconsciously had this thought.
And I think you have nailed it NCJ. This is why they withdrew it

If I had one I would talk about it -They are a great SAK and the older version is the fraternal twin brother to the Ranger -  one with corkscrew other with Phillips - I always have a MT with a Phillips driver or at least always have my Gerber Shard so the Phillips thing isn't as big of a deal and that is why I am content with the Ranger I guess
Hmmm Poncho - Not sure about twin brother - You are not confusing your Master Craftsman with your Craftsman are you  :pok:  ;)
I think it is the Ranger's bigger cousin !!
Although I never understood how the Master could be the smaller one !!!

Was a bit worried about this comment:
Off subject for the most part but since you mentioned the cork screw, I also watched a video earlier that had me thinking that shows that the mini screwdriver doesn't actually fit many eye glasses so why bother carrying one?
So immediately went to check and the mini SD fits my glasses fine - Although I really wish Vic would turn it into a double headed mini - flat + Phillips (as some here have done)

Anyway I will leave you with one final thought.....

The 6 layer model that Vic never produced but should have done, and I might try and do a mod one day -
Is ........... tadah ...........  a Woodsman + Metal File, or Explorer plus wood and metal saws .... or even Ranger plus Explorer layer :o if you will.
A nice thin 'SwissChamp' minus the tools you are very unlikely to use - Especially if you have a pliers based with you.
What a great SAK that would be.........   :tu:  :D
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 05:11:08 AM by Huntsman »

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #9 on: February 21, 2017, 05:53:12 AM

For me I very much like the inline Phillips and the mag glass too - And appreciate that the inline is way more useful for tight spaces etc etc
I do like the Swisschamp and carry it sometimes - Always feels so good and makes me feel well prepared - Although I used to think of it as ridiculous !!!
I believe it is pocket friendly - but only for tough trousers eg jeans, heavy shorts - Not for 'office' trousers - So a weekender for me.

My particular viewpoint concerning the Craftsman is that it is close enough in size to the Swiss Champ that I would prefer the Swiss Champ.  No equation has me carrying the Craftsman:)
I have always wondered why Vic withdrew the larger back spring Phillips (Craftsman/Master Craftsman) and subconsciously had this thought.

If I had one I would talk about it -They are a great SAK and the older version is the fraternal twin brother to the Ranger -  one with corkscrew other with Phillips - I always have a MT with a Phillips driver or at least always have my Gerber Shard so the Phillips thing isn't as big of a deal and that is why I am content with the Ranger I guess
Hmmm Poncho - Not sure about twin brother - You are not confusing your Master Craftsman with your Craftsman are you  :pok:  ;)

Off subject for the most part but since you mentioned the cork screw, I also watched a video earlier that had me thinking that shows that the mini screwdriver doesn't actually fit many eye glasses so why bother carrying one?
So immediately went to check and the mini SD fits my glasses fine - Although I really wish Vic would turn it into a double headed mini - flat + Phillips (as some here have done)

The 6 layer model that Vic never produced but should have done, and I might try and do a mod one day -
Is ........... tadah ...........  a Woodsman + Metal File, or Explorer plus wood and metal saws .... or even Ranger plus Explorer layer :o if you will.
A nice thin 'SwissChamp' minus the tools you are very unlikely to use - Especially if you have a pliers based with you.

I think Poncho was referring to the first version of the Craftsman which didn't have plier's or philips on back if I remember correctly.  :)

I agree with you 100% on the 6 layer sak that they should make.is what you listed tool wise!   :tu:

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: February 21, 2017, 09:57:13 AM
Great post and discussion guys  :like:
Let me start by saying that there is never a right or wrong on any edc preference, different people have different needs and different tastes, and that's what keeps everything interesting.

I never had a craftsman but I had the handyman, basically the same but with corkscrew instead of the Philips. I bought mine at a time I was trying to get several models and wanted something close to the champ but smaller and less expensive. Even tho I liked it, it was just way too big and bulky for edc (for my needs) and I ended up giving it away to my father in law.

For sak edc I hardly go beyond two layers these days for 91mm and a classic on keychain for scissors. And never really go past 4 layers for all other situations.
This might look like blasphemy to some, but I want my sak's to still look like an elegant pocket knife with some extra handy tools rather than a multi tool with blades. That's what always attracted me to sak's I guess  ;)
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #11 on: February 21, 2017, 05:48:26 PM
Great post and discussion guys  :like:
Let me start by saying that there is never a right or wrong on any edc preference, different people have different needs and different tastes, and that's what keeps everything interesting.

I never had a craftsman but I had the handyman, basically the same but with corkscrew instead of the Philips. I bought mine at a time I was trying to get several models and wanted something close to the champ but smaller and less expensive. Even tho I liked it, it was just way too big and bulky for edc (for my needs) and I ended up giving it away to my father in law.

For sak edc I hardly go beyond two layers these days for 91mm and a classic on keychain for scissors. And never really go past 4 layers for all other situations.
This might look like blasphemy to some, but I want my sak's to still look like an elegant pocket knife with some extra handy tools rather than a multi tool with blades. That's what always attracted me to sak's I guess  ;)

I will stick to the Explorer with a suspension clip for my normal EDC as I think that is about the right size but when I do want something thinner I break out the Golfer (Compact) or the Spartan.  I will say I have challenged myself to carry the Swisschamp or Champ Plus using a suspension clip and it is doable and not too bad.

Just to make the record clear, I don't love the Craftsman but do think it has a good tool set and just started this thread cause I never seem to see much chat on it so I wanted to know if any folks actually love it and carry it.  :)

us Offline yud

• No Life Club
  • Still has a SOGgy feeling
Reply #12 on: May 22, 2017, 12:13:36 AM
I actually just picked up a Craftsman, and having cleaned it, I am questioning what to do with it now.   Warranty (tip broken off the small blade and the file is a little rough), modded fodder, or try selling it.

Just another weirdo with a beard :B:

Knight of the SOSAK and Defender of the sacred nail file

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #13 on: May 22, 2017, 02:21:34 AM
Breaking off the tip of a blade cannot be due to a manufacturing or design error
And presumably, as you say you 'acquired' the Craftsman, you did not purchase the knife originally

Sending in a tool for warranty when you did not purchase it, and was broken by someone else through some sort of misuse - To me is an abuse of warranty services offered by great companies like Victorinox and Leatherman - Just sayin'   :o :pok:

If it were me, I would just re-profile the small blade, then use, or sell, as you will. Modder fodder works too.   
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 03:39:27 AM by Huntsman »

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: May 22, 2017, 02:26:56 AM

I think Poncho was referring to the first version of the Craftsman which didn't have plier's or philips on back if I remember correctly.  :)

I agree with you 100% on the 6 layer sak that they should make.is what you listed tool wise!   :tu:

Yes I think I was referring to the first version :D To many different SAKs for me to keep up with :facepalm: :D

I also built the 6 layer SAK you are referring to and since it is a Ranger plus mag, inline Phillips layer I call it a Master Ranger :dd: I also added an inline awl instead of small blade :like:

20170504_091858 by Poncho 65, on Flickr

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #15 on: May 22, 2017, 02:29:28 AM
NASA had love for the (Master) Craftsman....  pretty sure that counts for something.  :cheers:
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #16 on: May 22, 2017, 08:04:35 AM

Here's a cool video about it....  (that you, SG??)

https://youtu.be/zF85XgB4xfQ
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #17 on: May 22, 2017, 10:11:20 AM
Hey - This is interesting - The Space Shuttle on this guy's MC points in the other direction to the one on SAKWIKI ..... Check it out!
And the design seems slightly different - Lines across the body of the SS
- Manufacturing error ???
- Later/earlier variation ???

Any ideas anyone ???

He is also one of these people who pronounces Vict-or-inox  Victory-nox

PS. Later edit - And note the SpaceShuttle is a Master Craftsman - Not a Craftsman - I think that counts as a derailment!! ;)
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 11:29:12 AM by Huntsman »

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #18 on: May 22, 2017, 10:27:20 AM
Hey - This is interesting - The Space Shuttle on this guy's MC points in the other direction to the one on SAKWIKI ..... Check it out!
And the design seems slightly different - Lines across the body of the SS
- Manufacturing error ???
- Later/earlier variation ???

Any ideas anyone ???

He is also one of these people who pronounces Vict-or-inox  Victory-nox

hahaha, I catch myself saying both, it's an American afflction

We all know that Victorinox never made ANY errors, only magic.  :D As far as I can tell, they're both '80-'85 considering the phillips was squared till '80 and the reamer/punch gained the hole in '85.  Something I have noticed with special models is that they sometimes throw a change in and often  they will use older implements (possibly reserved at an earlier time) for these knives.  For example, I have an "85" commemorative knife w/inlay for a Swiss shooting club but it sports the '74-'84 implements...

That was a lot of words for "I don't know"
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 10:28:39 AM by El Corkscrew »

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #19 on: May 22, 2017, 11:10:34 AM
Personally, I've never found the 91mm Victorinox pliers particularly useful/effective. To me, they're in the same category as the fish tickler and mag glass, which are both filed under "meh  :-\".

That's not to say this is a bad knife in any way, I'm just the wrong person for it  :)

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #20 on: May 22, 2017, 12:11:32 PM
Where I am from it is lucky if I even say Vic correctly :facepalm: :D But I think I say it sort of in between Vict or inox and Victory nox, if that makes sense ::) :D

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #21 on: May 22, 2017, 01:27:51 PM
 :rofl: Tell me about it Poncho!  I've a Craftsman and really like it.  It has everything I need and the girth is just right to make that saw really work.  I'm a big space fan, which is what lead me in its direction in the first place.
Barry

us Offline yud

• No Life Club
  • Still has a SOGgy feeling
Reply #22 on: May 22, 2017, 03:04:35 PM
Breaking off the tip of a blade cannot be due to a manufacturing or design error
And presumably, as you say you 'acquired' the Craftsman, you did not purchase the knife originally

Sending in a tool for warranty when you did not purchase it, and was broken by someone else through some sort of misuse - To me is an abuse of warranty services offered by great companies like Victorinox and Leatherman - Just sayin'   :o :pok:

If it were me, I would just re-profile the small blade, then use, or sell, as you will. Modder fodder works too.

True, but I do find being honest and offering to pay helps.  The other problem is rust or something on the file but I am going to see what I can do about that today.

Just another weirdo with a beard :B:

Knight of the SOSAK and Defender of the sacred nail file

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #23 on: June 05, 2017, 02:21:49 PM
My Craftsman.  For its girth, I find it a nice carry.  It's one of my favorite SAKs!
1496665301028.jpg
* 1496665301028.jpg (Filesize: 133.88 KB)
Barry

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #24 on: June 23, 2017, 10:27:30 PM
I love this knife!! 
IMG_20170623_162442_hdr.jpg
* IMG_20170623_162442_hdr.jpg (Filesize: 249.85 KB)
Barry

gb Offline Pattas29

Reply #25 on: June 25, 2017, 01:43:29 PM
Must say i have had a craftsman a few years now and i really like the tool set on it. Yeah i prefer an in line philips but i dont use the mag glass or the fish scaler so this is a good carry. It is always with me if i have my bag. However in my pockets recently is has been my constant carry of a compact and a new addition of an S2.
Tried the Explorer but the compact was back in my pocket the same day.

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #26 on: June 25, 2017, 05:14:02 PM

us Offline cody6268

Reply #27 on: June 25, 2017, 08:48:47 PM
Craftsman (pre and post '87) as well as the Master Craftsman are probably my two favorite 5 or more layer SAKs.  They contain what I need to get work done around the house and farm, and nothing more. I'd love to have a variaton of the Craftsman similar to what NASA used on the Space Shuttle, or even better one that actually was used in space, but I'm sure if one of those did come up for sale, it would be worth more than even an authentic M1891 Soldier, versus an $20 late '70s Master Craftsman as was used.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 08:54:44 PM by cody6268 »

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #28 on: June 26, 2017, 04:15:59 AM
The Craftsman and Master Craftsman are probability my two favorite tool sets too.  I like the girth of the Craftsman for using the saw and the pliers are surprisingly handy.  I'm a big space fan so the lineage helps too.  I love my Swisschamp but the pocket ability of these two knives is sweet!
Barry

Offline Adrian Nowak

• New User
Reply #29 on: July 07, 2017, 12:53:16 AM
Well, Craftsman is my only SAK and it is almost perfect, it has all tools i always wanted to have, just missing fish scaler, although I'm not a fishing guy, just have some other uses of this tool in mind, so I would like to replace a wood saw with fish scaler probably. Wood saw might not be as useful in modern urban environment. Well it would be nice to have wood saw too but Craftsman size is just about what firs my hand properly. So that's why I didn't get a Swiss Champ or any other FAT SAK. Besides, I'm not in favor of mag lens or inline philips.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%