Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Any love for the Craftsman?

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Re: Any love for the Craftsman?
Reply #30 on: July 07, 2017, 02:47:43 AM
 :like: I really think its about as close to perfect as there is. I know I really like mine!!
Barry

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #31 on: July 28, 2017, 12:13:57 PM
Has anyone seen this set?  I didn't know Vic still made the Craftsman. It must be for the non US market.  I want one badly, so badly I can taste it but for $850 US I'd have to find another place to live!!
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 12:14:58 PM by Barry Rowland »
Barry

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #32 on: July 28, 2017, 12:16:04 PM
I turned down a regular craftsman, standard scales, last week for €20... :think:

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #33 on: July 28, 2017, 12:22:37 PM
That's what I have Mech.  I really like the feel of it, being just right for my hands.  That seems like a terrific price!
Barry

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #34 on: July 28, 2017, 03:25:16 PM
That's what I have Mech.  I really like the feel of it, being just right for my hands.  That seems like a terrific price!
Well speaking of which, I feel like revisiting the guy now...

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #35 on: July 28, 2017, 04:00:41 PM
As many of you may know my preferred EDC is the Explorer and I also like the Swisschamp and even the Champ Plus so I guess I am an inline philips and mag lens kinda guy.  With that said I do like the tool set it has for its size but have my concerns about how useful the back philips is in many situations like recessed screws or tighter spaces to where you cant turn the sak to use the philips properly.  Anyone else worry or think about this with these back philips? 

I like the back philips. It is easier to apply pressure and torque, and pressure is important on phillips screws as they were purposedly designed to slip. Once loose you can then turn very quickly by holding the round base between the fingers with one hand while rotating the entire handle using a finger on the other. I also like the round pointed shape for undoing stubborn knots and the like. (Not my own knots of course; they are always easy to unknot  :D Almost true anyway). And personally I don't find much use for the corkscrew so I rather see that space used for something else.

I'm not too worried about the recessed screw difference compared to inline. It is rarely much space around a recess anyway so whether it is inline or not tends to be a moot point as the handle wont fit into a recess in either direction. Tight spaces might clearly be an issue, but so far only in theory for me. (Of course having said that now, I will surely run into lots of cramped spaces tomorrow... Murphy works in mysterious ways!)
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #36 on: July 28, 2017, 10:03:48 PM
 :like: Murphy sure does Vidar!! 
Barry

us Offline gene stoner

• No Life Club
Reply #37 on: August 01, 2017, 06:07:13 PM
Old style.
20170801_085711.jpg
* 20170801_085711.jpg (Filesize: 219.49 KB)
Jeep the SAK of the auto world or is it SAK the Jeep of the Knife world?

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #38 on: August 01, 2017, 09:03:53 PM
Nice one Gene!!
Barry

us Offline gene stoner

• No Life Club
Reply #39 on: August 01, 2017, 09:30:30 PM
Jeep the SAK of the auto world or is it SAK the Jeep of the Knife world?

us Offline Tired_Yeti

Reply #40 on: September 08, 2017, 05:29:52 PM
..Great tool set but why stop at 6 layers?  For me, the Explorer gives me the magnifier and inline Philips together with the essentials in a practical carry 4 layer form factor. If pliers are important, then I can easily carry a LM Juice S2 in another pocket for a set of superior pliers.  For those planning to carry the Craftsman in a small belt pouch, they could just as easily carry a Swiss Champ or a Spirit X.

So love for the Craftsman? Strong like, maybe...and a sample for my collection but my love is reserved for SAKs with magnifiers and inline philips with Explorer at the top for portability, followed closely by the Swiss Champ (yeah, I include the magnifier bunch such as Champion, Yeoman, Woodsman, Passenger, Scientist, etc.) 

BTW, no disrespect intended for the Victorinox pliers.  I admire this precision tool for what it can do but for all-around tasks requiring pliers, I would look to a LM tool.  In my case, with very modest requirements, a Juice is more than sufficient.
I'm not insulting your intelligence, but I just want to point out for the record that piers are OFTEN misunderstood and misused.

Pliers are for pinching, twisting, gripping, and pulling. They are not designed or intended for turning nuts and bolts; although, many of us use them for that (me included sometimes). Wrenches are for nuts and bolts. So when you consider and accept that, the Victorinox pliers are great for their size. They don't have the length of some others and they don't have handles that allow such a tight grip as some, but for most tasks outside of automotive work or heavy duty tasks,they work fine. For my average daily tasks, I have no need for LM sized pliers. I carry the Craftsman EDC and it's been plenty adequate. I have a garage full of tools so if I'm working on a serious project, I just grab tools off the workbench.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 05:34:13 PM by Tired_Yeti »

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #41 on: September 08, 2017, 05:47:17 PM
Al's logic path for appraising the Craftsman:

1) If I need pliers, I want better than these. This means accompanying it with a pliers based tool
    (Action: Ditch pliers layer. Not needed)

2) If I'm carrying a pliers based tool, the Phillips on that will offer higher torque and better access
    (Action: Corkscrew with mini driver)

3) If I'm carrying a pliers based tool, the medium flat driver on that will offer higher torque and better access
    (Action: Ignore. Nothing to replace back spring driver with)

4) Everything else on there is good and reliable, so I don't needsaw or file on pliers tool
    (Action: Greater range of pliers tools can be considered)

Verdict: Buy a Ranger (or a CT41 if you want the additional driver capabilities) and select accompanying pliers tool accordingly :salute:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline Tired_Yeti

Reply #42 on: September 08, 2017, 10:46:40 PM
Old style.
I'm quite glad they replaced the fish scaler with pliers. Can't remember the last time I had fish with scales.

Honestly, this got me thinking...throughout several threads we all ponder, debate, and lament various tools that seem odd enough that we struggle to find a job for them.
I've come to realize, that really bugs the heck out of me! I want my tools to make sense. I don't want to stare at a fish scaler or an orange peeler or some other oddball tool and try to justify it to myself.
 While the Craftsman does not have every SAK tool in it. All the tools in the Craftsman are useful and logical. It makes sense to me!

The perpendicular #2 Phillips is plenty useful. I've used it a lot. I truly think far more people fuss about the handle being in the way and not being able to turn the screw than there are people who have actually struggled with this issue.

In my experience so far, pretty much anywhere I can use a short #2, I have been able to use the SAK.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 10:47:58 PM by Tired_Yeti »

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #43 on: September 08, 2017, 11:03:13 PM
And another problem with the corkscrew. On the Craftsman, I can open the wood chisel no problem--but with the Champion I recently got, the corkscrew is in the way.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #44 on: September 08, 2017, 11:20:34 PM
Old style.
I'm quite glad they replaced the fish scaler with pliers. Can't remember the last time I had fish with scales.

Honestly, this got me thinking...throughout several threads we all ponder, debate, and lament various tools that seem odd enough that we struggle to find a job for them.
I've come to realize, that really bugs the heck out of me! I want my tools to make sense. I don't want to stare at a fish scaler or an orange peeler or some other oddball tool and try to justify it to myself.
 While the Craftsman does not have every SAK tool in it. All the tools in the Craftsman are useful and logical. It makes sense to me!

The perpendicular #2 Phillips is plenty useful. I've used it a lot. I truly think far more people fuss about the handle being in the way and not being able to turn the screw than there are people who have actually struggled with this issue.

In my experience so far, pretty much anywhere I can use a short #2, I have been able to use the SAK.

(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)

The trouble with the back Philips is the very limited torque that it can take.  :-\
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline Tired_Yeti

Reply #45 on: September 09, 2017, 02:10:07 AM
The trouble with the back Philips is the very limited torque that it can take.  :-\
While that's true it's relative in my view. My garage tools are lighter duty than an industrial automotive kit. If I am working on something that needs serious torque, I grab a bigger stronger tool.
I view the SAK as what it is:
1) Convenient for light duty
2) An emergency self-rescue tool kit.

I don't consider the SAK--ANY SAK--to be a replacement for individual, dedicated tools.

It's a pocket sized miniature tool kit. I have to manage my expectations.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 02:22:15 AM by Tired_Yeti »

nl Offline EMZ

Reply #46 on: September 09, 2017, 03:18:06 PM
The Craftsman, Master Craftsman, Handyman and Delemont S557 are my favorite Vic tools, though I would like it if Victorinox came up with a Handyman without scissors and instead the Magnifying glass + inline Philips screwdriver. And of course with the Delemont-line locks for the screwdrivers. Probably I would go nuts with such a model and would buy 10 pieces right away.

In an urban environment I opt for the (Master) Craftsman because of its Philips screwdriver. It still can be pocket carried and in an urban environment there are more screws to fasten than there are bottle to be uncorked. Even for self defense purposes the back Philips can be a formidable effective attachment.
However in any outdoor survival happening I would choose the Handyman because when you're on foot in the woods a corkscrew has much more utility!

Recently I bought this 2nd hand Craftsman for only € 10. Is had very abused scales, because it was used as a hammer (who on earth is using pocket knives as hammers??  :facepalm:) All tools were in excellent condition.
So I cleaned it a little bit and put brand new scales on it (only € 1.99). Total costs € 11.99 !!

If you ever walked outdoors (and even indoors!) with an outward bent shoe lace hook on your boot, you would be desperate for the pliers!
P9093875.JPG
* P9093875.JPG (Filesize: 239.06 KB)
P9093876.JPG
* P9093876.JPG (Filesize: 215.6 KB)
P9093877.JPG
* P9093877.JPG (Filesize: 153.58 KB)
P9093878.JPG
* P9093878.JPG (Filesize: 273.95 KB)

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #47 on: September 09, 2017, 04:17:47 PM
The Craftsman, Master Craftsman, Handyman and Delemont S557 are my favorite Vic tools, though I would like it if Victorinox came up with a Handyman without scissors and instead the Magnifying glass + inline Philips screwdriver. And of course with the Delemont-line locks for the screwdrivers. Probably I would go nuts with such a model and would buy 10 pieces right away.

In an urban environment I opt for the (Master) Craftsman because of its Philips screwdriver. It still can be pocket carried and in an urban environment there are more screws to fasten than there are bottle to be uncorked. Even for self defense purposes the back Philips can be a formidable effective attachment.
However in any outdoor survival happening I would choose the Handyman because when you're on foot in the woods a corkscrew has much more utility!

Recently I bought this 2nd hand Craftsman for only € 10. Is had very abused scales, because it was used as a hammer (who on earth is using pocket knives as hammers??  :facepalm:) All tools were in excellent condition.
So I cleaned it a little bit and put brand new scales on it (only € 1.99). Total costs € 11.99 !!

If you ever walked outdoors (and even indoors!) with an outward bent shoe lace hook on your boot, you would be desperate for the pliers!
Where did you get €2 euro scales?  :)

All hail the hook!

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #48 on: September 09, 2017, 04:30:40 PM

Where did you get €2 euro scales?  :)
That!

Is a good question...

nl Offline EMZ

Reply #49 on: September 09, 2017, 04:35:11 PM
91mm and 91mm SwissChamp scales for € 1.99.
58mm scales for € 1.49.
Needle is € 0.15 and cord € 0.50.
You can buy it at: taschenmesser-onlineshop.de
They have great service!

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #50 on: September 09, 2017, 05:18:46 PM
Ships to the likes of Belgium and Germany, but not UK or Ireland.  :(

All hail the hook!

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #51 on: September 09, 2017, 07:17:14 PM
Really?
Oh boy oh boy!

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #52 on: September 09, 2017, 08:05:53 PM
Really?
Oh boy oh boy!
Lol.  :rofl:

All hail the hook!

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #53 on: September 10, 2017, 04:26:12 AM
If I had one I would talk about it :D They are a great SAK and the older version is the fraternal twin brother to the Ranger :dd: one with corkscrew other with Phillips :cheers: I always have a MT with a Phillips driver or at least always have my Gerber Shard so the Phillips thing isn't as big of a deal and that is why I am content with the Ranger I guess :think:
I think you mean the Master Craftsman?

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #54 on: September 10, 2017, 04:37:30 AM
I was a long time user of the Handyman... It is my very first real SAK. Wish I had the Craftsman then... prefer the phillips over the corks screw... It is a thick sak with 6 layers... So I don't carry it in my person... it stayed in my bag...

The backside phillips came in handy many times... except that it always folded on me during heavy torque action... Pliers was of no help except being an oversized tweezer...

Then I found the Explorer... went to the dark side when I discovered I could make a Yeoman... :facepalm:

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #55 on: September 10, 2017, 01:45:53 PM

(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)

The Craftsman is a great sak, but not for pocket carry, which is the way i carry all of mine most of the time. That's why i gave it's brother (Handyman) away, didn't use it.

As for the backside Phillips, i stopped trusting it as a reliable all around SD, for nothing more than low/very low torque use, a long time ago. Never had much of a problem with it's actual placement for usage, yes it's not ideal but nothing on a sak is "ideal", that's the whole point, Sak's are not meant to replace tools, it's meant to be something small and light you carry in your pocket that, apart from being a pocket knife, has tools that can help you save the day in a pinch and you have nothing else near suitable available to you, not to be confused with "just something you use when ever you need tools..."  :pok:

My problem with the backside Phillips actual usage is it's sturdiness and mounting, the driver itself is a great driver, the way it's mounted on the Sak (for the kind of stress it endures during usage) it's not. I bent the pin and liner on my first supertinker just with medium torque taking some screws of the backplate of a desktop PC tower tha wasn't even that tight...  :facepalm:

So even if i still love the whole Tinker line, it's not for the Phillips terrible great usage, other than occasional very light torque situations, i just love it be cause it looks good there and it makes the Sak feel and look sleeker  :salute:

But than again i love the look of the CS equally, so...   :facepalm: :ahhh :drink:                     :D
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

us Offline Tired_Yeti

Reply #56 on: September 10, 2017, 03:41:15 PM
So far, it seems the chief complaint against the Craftsman design is the perpendicular Phillips's inability to tolerate torque. I agree. As I mentioned in another post, I don't consider this SAK as a replacement for a set of dedicated tools.

My argument for the Craftsman is:
1) It has a set of recognizable, very useful tools. No unfamiliar or confusing orange peelers or fish scalers or other odd tools. Every tool onboard has familiar applications and are miniature versions of tools commonly used daily. The only tools I'd like to have that aren't in there is the pen and, maybe, the magnifier.
2) While the perpendicular Phillips can't take much torque, neither can the corkscrew. In general, the Phillips is more commonly necessary and useful than a corkscrew for most people.
So, yes, that's a small dig against the Handyman...but, that's why I chose the Craftsman.

The corkscrew hates torque

All other comparisons seems to be against either larger SAKs with more layers or smaller SAKs with fewer tools. For this layer count, I don't know of a SAK with a better tool layout.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 03:50:28 PM by Tired_Yeti »

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #57 on: September 10, 2017, 04:36:00 PM
It's all subjective, but I'd rather have the inline Phillips(which can take lots of torque) with a useless corkscrew, than the backside Phillips and a layer less. :cheers:

All hail the hook!

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #58 on: September 10, 2017, 04:49:04 PM
So far, it seems the chief complaint against the Craftsman design is the perpendicular Phillips's inability to tolerate torque. I agree. As I mentioned in another post, I don't consider this SAK as a replacement for a set of dedicated tools.

1) It has a set of recognizable, very useful tools. No unfamiliar or confusing orange peelers or fish scalers or other odd tools. Every tool onboard has familiar applications and are miniature versions of tools commonly used daily. The only tools I'd like to have that aren't in there is the pen and, maybe, the magnifier.
2) While the perpendicular Phillips can't take much torque, neither can the corkscrew. In general, the Phillips is more commonly necessary and useful than a corkscrew for most people.
So, yes, that's a small dig against the Handyman...but, that's why I chose the Craftsman.

(Image removed from quote.)

All other comparisons seems to be against either larger SAKs with more layers or smaller SAKs with fewer tools. For this layer count, I don't know of a SAK with a better tool layout.

How did that happen???

Obviously not opening a bottle of wine...
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #59 on: September 10, 2017, 04:59:59 PM

(Image removed from quote.)

How did that happen???

Obviously not opening a bottle of wine...

Unless the bottle was the wrong way up  :P :D

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24