Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Any love for the Craftsman?

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Re: Any love for the Craftsman?
Reply #60 on: September 10, 2017, 09:14:52 PM
If I had one I would talk about it :D They are a great SAK and the older version is the fraternal twin brother to the Ranger :dd: one with corkscrew other with Phillips :cheers: I always have a MT with a Phillips driver or at least always have my Gerber Shard so the Phillips thing isn't as big of a deal and that is why I am content with the Ranger I guess :think:
I think you mean the Master Craftsman?

Hmmm ........ ???  ........  That's what he said ........  :think:

If I had one I would talk about it -They are a great SAK and the older version is the fraternal twin brother to the Ranger -  one with corkscrew other with Phillips - I always have a MT with a Phillips driver or at least always have my Gerber Shard so the Phillips thing isn't as big of a deal and that is why I am content with the Ranger I guess
Hmmm Poncho - Not sure about twin brother - You are not confusing your Master Craftsman with your Craftsman are you  :pok:  ;)
I think it is the Ranger's bigger cousin !!
Although I never understood how the Master could be the smaller one !!!

us Offline Tired_Yeti

Reply #61 on: September 11, 2017, 02:38:01 AM
The corkscrew hates torque
(Image removed from quote.)
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How did that happen???

Obviously not opening a bottle of wine...
Of course not, but that question opens the whole can of worms on the obsolescence of the corkscrew or it being a one-trick-pony tool that's useless for anything else.

I rarely drink any alcohol, wine included. So having a corkscrew on a SAK is very much outside my needs. On the rare occasion that a bottle of wine hits the table at Christmas, there's a dedicated corkscrew for that.

I do have a set of mini screwdrivers on my work bench. Still, I could see having one for eye glass repair in a FAK, and for that I'd consider having a SAK with a corkscrew in the FAK (merely to hold the mini screwdriver).

I do agree that the perpendicular screwdriver can't take high torque. I've used it several times. I wouldn't say it can't take ANY torque, though. I guess I'm curious as to what application you guys are putting it to that is so heavy duty that the driver fails. It's not an impact wrench. I'm not sure we should expect it or any SAK tool to tolerate extreme torque.

Oh, BTW, I was using it in conjunction with other tools to try to open a locked door.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 02:47:17 AM by Tired_Yeti »

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #62 on: September 11, 2017, 02:58:30 AM
I've noticed that the back side Philips screwdriver seems to be disappearing from the lineup.  Also, do you think that the appearance of the pliers in the mid 80s had anything to do with the appearance of the Leatherman tool?  I have both the Craftsman and the Ranger and love them both.  If I had to pick just one SAK, though, it would probably be the Craftsman.  To me, it's every thing I need in a SAK with none of the excess.  Just my .02 on the subject.
Barry

us Offline Tired_Yeti

Reply #63 on: September 11, 2017, 04:08:24 AM
I've noticed that the back side Philips screwdriver seems to be disappearing from the lineup.  Also, do you think that the appearance of the pliers in the mid 80s had anything to do with the appearance of the Leatherman tool?  I have both the Craftsman and the Ranger and love them both.  If I had to pick just one SAK, though, it would probably be the Craftsman.  To me, it's every thing I need in a SAK with none of the excess.  Just my .02 on the subject.
If they discontinue perpendicular Phillips, I'm OK with that. However, I hope they replace it with something other than the corkscrew. I say that not out of hatred for the corkscrew, but simply because there are already a whole bunch of SAKs in almost every layer count that include the corkscrew and I'd like to see a fresh, new idea. Something that works best when on a T handle (and I agree the #2 Phillips doesn't) and, either doesn't require much torque or is designed to tolerate more torque than the Phillips currently does.

I still EDC the Craftsman, but it's not the only knife I own or even the only SAK I own. I'm definitely open to changes and new ideas. I may pick up a Swiss Champ and toss the Craftsman in the closet. Who knows.

Pliers?
No. I don't think the addition of pliers in the SAKs was in response to Leatherman, but I do think the Swiss Tool was. Just my assumption. I haven't looked into it at al.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 04:32:32 AM by Tired_Yeti »

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #64 on: September 11, 2017, 08:43:30 AM
Given the hook is alive and well, I have a hard time seeing the corkscrew getting fresh competition, simply because it's so iconic. Still, we get 111 mm knives with no back tools in the blade layer now...

As for other tools to put there, that's always fun to to think about. It has to be something low torque, or push/pull. And it should be long term, not linked to some probably short-lived technology. I like the idea of putting a nice, round marlinspike there.

Disclaimer: I like the corkscrew and drink stuff from corked bottles.

Edit: Thinking about, I'd actually love a version of the screwdriver from the Classic as well. My main motivation for carrying a 5+ layer knife is usually getting the fine screwdriver on the back of the saw. A fine screwdriver would be less scary and probably more popular than a marlinspike.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 09:17:02 AM by Steinar »

il Offline Shalom

Reply #65 on: September 11, 2017, 11:24:27 AM
For me the in line Phillips is most important.  I also carry in pocket , ( usually with a suspension hook ) but more than four layers is for me , uncomfortable .
I do like having a "big tweezer" tool so my solution is a Leatherman P4 in another pocket or a Style PS on the keychain.

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #66 on: September 11, 2017, 11:54:03 AM
The corkscrew hates torque
(Image removed from quote.)

How did that happen???

Obviously not opening a bottle of wine...
Of course not, but that question opens the whole can of worms on the obsolescence of the corkscrew or it being a one-trick-pony tool that's useless for anything else.

I rarely drink any alcohol, wine included. So having a corkscrew on a SAK is very much outside my needs. On the rare occasion that a bottle of wine hits the table at Christmas, there's a dedicated corkscrew for that.

I do have a set of mini screwdrivers on my work bench. Still, I could see having one for eye glass repair in a FAK, and for that I'd consider having a SAK with a corkscrew in the FAK (merely to hold the mini screwdriver).

I do agree that the perpendicular screwdriver can't take high torque. I've used it several times. I wouldn't say it can't take ANY torque, though. I guess I'm curious as to what application you guys are putting it to that is so heavy duty that the driver fails. It's not an impact wrench. I'm not sure we should expect it or any SAK tool to tolerate extreme torque.

Oh, BTW, I was using it in conjunction with other tools to try to open a locked door.

Well, i can only speak from my experience... Yes for light torque the backside Phillips works fine, but by that i mean taking apart a plastic PC mouse, or a Plastic PC keyboard, tightening a screw on an electrical outlet, or assembly's that doesn't have very tight screws like metal assembly's or even worse, mechanical ones...  :-\
I messed up my Super Tinker's liner and pin just by undoing like 4 screws that hold the back plate on a PC tower, and they weren't even that tight. Didn't actually ruin it, just bent a little, still worked, but i just didn't trust it any more for that.

Personally i honestly don't give much of a damn if the sak has the Phillips or the CS in terms of usage these days as i hardly use either of them. That's why i came up with the SD bit's modification that i posted some time ago. I don'd care if the actual Sak has a great SD in it or not, all i need is the bottle opener and the can opener to drive the bits  :salute:

Like i've said before, i only like the backside Phillips because it looks good, makes the sak sleeker than the CS, and it's handy but only for very low torque tasks, if you don't want to risk damaging the sak that is...
I also like the CS not because i actually need to use it as a CS since i don't drink wine, and when i occasionally do there is always a CS around.  I also like it because it looks equally great and classic there, and it holds the micro SD, and may be handy for a number of other small things apart from the eventual need to open a bottle of wine.

And yes, the CS can take as much torque as the Phillips, meaning very little IMO...  :pok:

But nevertheless, what works for me may not work for others, and what works for others may not work for me, everybody has different tastes and needs  :cheers:
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 12:47:46 PM by MacGyver »
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #67 on: September 11, 2017, 12:09:11 PM
Ships to the likes of Belgium and Germany, but not UK or Ireland.  :(
Really?
Oh boy oh boy!
Lol.  :rofl:
That mean you don't need the black plus scales any more Nick?  :D
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #68 on: September 11, 2017, 12:38:52 PM
Ships to the likes of Belgium and Germany, but not UK or Ireland.  :(
Really?
Oh boy oh boy!
Lol.  :rofl:
That mean you don't need the black plus scales any more Nick?  :D
I'll just ignore that comment...
Can one have enough black plus scales?

Thanks for reminding me btw.
The saw is laying on my desk waiting for an envelope. Got sidetracked with the excitement this weekend. :ahhh

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #69 on: September 11, 2017, 12:40:50 PM
I hope that Astronaut doesn't fall in the envelope by mistake  :facepalm:
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #70 on: September 11, 2017, 12:55:04 PM
You'd love that to happen, wouldn't you?  :D

Where's my bits mags?  :P
Any updates? Next week? No rush, just want to know.  :cheers:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #71 on: September 11, 2017, 02:32:05 PM
You'd love that to happen, wouldn't you?  :D

Where's my bits mags? 
Any updates? Next week? No rush, just want to know.  :cheers:
I'm quite sure it'll stay far away from that envelope.
Just like the others!

Seriously though. Does that one catch your fancy?

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Reply #72 on: September 23, 2017, 02:52:07 AM
By rough estimate, MSRP for the INOX watch is around $600, let's say we mark that up another Benji for the special edition and seahorse case... So that leaves $150 for the Craftsman. Still a little pricey, IMO.
SAW

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #73 on: September 23, 2017, 02:59:32 AM
I agree.  I picked up a new in box Craftsman on Amazon last September for around USD $60.
Barry

us Offline Boonies

• No Life Club
Reply #74 on: September 23, 2017, 03:27:35 AM
My newest and only Craftsman, not quite "new".  Late 70's I think with the fish scaler and no pliers.  Very much like the old 6-layer Champions except that it has the technician screwdriver intead of the LNF.  Other than that, pretty much the same.  Square Phillips with the can key.  So now I am a Craftsman though I was a Master Craftsman before.  Does that mean I have been demoted?  😛  :cheers:
image.jpg
* image.jpg (Filesize: 306.94 KB)

us Offline KandiKlover

• Classic SD - SwissChamp
Reply #75 on: September 23, 2017, 04:49:26 AM
My newest and only Craftsman, not quite "new".  Late 70's I think with the fish scaler and no pliers.  Very much like the old 6-layer Champions except that it has the technician screwdriver intead of the LNF.  Other than that, pretty much the same.  Square Phillips with the can key.  So now I am a Craftsman though I was a Master Craftsman before.  Does that mean I have been demoted?  😛  :cheers:

Glad it has a good home now. I wonder who had it before and all the adventures its been on ans places it went :3 always fun to think about when getting an old used item.

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #76 on: November 19, 2017, 11:00:51 PM
Courtesy of the extremely generous Boonies, I'm the proud owner of a square Philips key can Master Craftsman!!  Pics to follow but I now have both of the Craftsman series and am thrilled!!
Barry

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #77 on: November 20, 2017, 01:00:09 PM
I love it!!
IMG_20171119_222543.jpg
* IMG_20171119_222543.jpg (Filesize: 105.48 KB)
IMG_20171119_222556.jpg
* IMG_20171119_222556.jpg (Filesize: 95.64 KB)
Barry

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #78 on: November 20, 2017, 03:26:55 PM
Nice one Barry!  :like: :tu: :tu:

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #79 on: November 20, 2017, 03:32:13 PM
Recently built one from leftover parts for a dear friend I’m trying to convert to SAKs... Reversed the scissor and plier layers...

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #80 on: November 20, 2017, 04:05:54 PM
Thanks Vicman!  I've had a Craftsman for about a year, but the Master Craftsman has always been one of my "grail" knives because of the NASA connection.  I'm a big space fan!

Nice one Barry!  :like: :tu: :tu:
Barry

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #81 on: November 20, 2017, 04:07:23 PM
Nice pic Jaya Man! I really like the pliers on the Craftsman.  For me, it's the ideal tool kit for what I do.  I've always thought of it as a pocket-friendly Swisschamp :D
Barry

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #82 on: November 20, 2017, 04:26:55 PM
Nice pic Jaya Man! I really like the pliers on the Craftsman.  For me, it's the ideal tool kit for what I do.  I've always thought of it as a pocket-friendly Swisschamp
Thanks Barry... My first SAK was a Handyman... used it for several years... but always thought It lacked a phillips sd... Tried looking for a Craftsman but couldn’t find one... Eventually bought the Swisschamp, CT34 and DT to try out... Many SAKs later, I have a problem of accumulation like most of us here :lol:

Eventually I got 2 old Craftsman models... Which I never use... one that has the can key, another which has the scaler instead of pliers :facepalm:

« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 04:29:24 PM by jaya_man »

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #83 on: November 20, 2017, 07:30:36 PM
I was lucky to have found the last few left on Amazon and grabbed my Craftsman.  I got my Master Craftsman from Boonies after looking for a long time.  I wanted one like NASA ordered in the beginning and was fortunate that he saw my ad on the Forum. 
Barry

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #84 on: November 20, 2017, 10:11:32 PM
I was lucky to have found the last few left on Amazon and grabbed my Craftsman.  I got my Master Craftsman from Boonies after looking for a long time.  I wanted one like NASA ordered in the beginning and was fortunate that he saw my ad on the Forum.

:whistle:
Sorry, couldn't help myself... :(

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #85 on: November 20, 2017, 11:04:48 PM
 :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :like: :like: :like:  Beautiful Mech.....even the box!!!
Barry

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #86 on: November 21, 2017, 06:19:15 AM

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #87 on: November 21, 2017, 02:34:15 PM

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #88 on: November 21, 2017, 02:54:29 PM
Model 136aU which I think was also called the Craftsman...

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #89 on: November 21, 2017, 03:12:32 PM
 :drool: :drool: :drool: :like: :like: :like:  What a beauty!!!
Barry

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD