Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Soldier Vs Soldier (and brothers besides)

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Re: Soldier Vs Soldier (and brothers besides)
Reply #30 on: October 19, 2008, 05:48:25 AM
File > Saw?

I suspect that debate will go on as long as the Phillips vs Corkscrew issue.

I'm still pondering the concept of Bladeless Multis & SA(K?)s

With so many people carrying dedicated blades, I see the appeal in filling the Blade slot of a SAK with a File or Saw or Scissors instead - all three are extras I would happily (to varying degrees) accept on a regular SAK. (Fish descalers I have less use for)

I'd suppose that there'll be arguments pro and con until Doomsady about what would make the ideal service issue SAK,or any other tool.Soldiering is a much more high tech proposition than it was 30 years ago...frankly the ideal next SAK really should be a Cybertool.
I

us Offline donvito

• No Life Club
Reply #31 on: October 19, 2008, 05:54:59 AM
I'd suppose that there'll be arguments pro and con until Doomsady about what would make the ideal service issue SAK,or any other tool.Soldiering is a much more high tech proposition than it was 30 years ago...frankly the ideal next SAK really should be a Cybertool.

Or better yet issue a good fixed blade (folder if you prefer) with Swiss Tool.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 06:38:58 AM by donvito »

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #32 on: October 19, 2008, 06:23:04 AM
I'd suppose that there'll be arguments pro and con until Doomsady about what would make the ideal service issue SAK,or any other tool.Soldiering is a much more high tech proposition than it was 30 years ago...frankly the ideal next SAK really should be a Cybertool

Oh Aye.

A team of 12 for an Artillary gun.

It takes 1x scout to find the target, 1x radio guy to tell everyone what the scout found out, 1x radio guy to listen, 2x computer guys (or gals, since it is a non combat position!) to do their techosourcery, another radio guy to receive their results, and 4xguys to arm and fire the gun.

(that may or may not equal 12 happy little soldiers, but my point is, at least half of them are more likely to need to fix a radio or computer than hack through a field of barbed wire or build a bridge out of a tree trunk and some paperclips)

(anyone with a more intimate knowledge of army units is free to override (or agree with) my claims.)
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 06:24:52 AM by Nomad »

us Offline donvito

• No Life Club
Reply #33 on: October 19, 2008, 06:46:16 AM
Yes you are right today's military is getting highly digital but artillery has a limited range placing them very close to the front lines. Most armies opt to train infantry soldiers to operate and maintain fire control and radio equipment rather than teaching a technician to be an infantry man. Still I agree for units who specialize as Tech Support then a Cybertool would be a better choice.

Offline AndyTiedye

• No Life Club
  • Ride the Music
Reply #34 on: October 19, 2008, 07:30:02 AM
All the more reason to give the general-issue SAK some tools for repairing that kind of gear.

Something like this (except with a one-handed blade for the military):

I wonder if this was one of the contenders that didn't get chosen.
R

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #35 on: October 20, 2008, 07:14:44 PM
I can see. One hand opening , and locking is a desirable feature. I get the logic behind the serations , personally dont like em. Pouch carry is OK , better than clips when you factor in load bearing vests, if molle capable.

Chris

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #36 on: October 20, 2008, 07:22:30 PM
I don't have a GAK but I do have a Ranger 78.  Whilst I really like the Ranger I suspect that the ergonomic scales would make it just to bulky for service.  As I say I don't have a GAK or OHT but I am guessing they are much flatter.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

• No Life Club
Reply #37 on: November 03, 2008, 11:32:16 AM
Can you get a Soldier with the Wenger Can Opener?

00 Offline Dtrain

• "Southbound Whatchya Leave Behind Ya?"
Reply #38 on: November 03, 2008, 01:01:10 PM
I think that going with a plain edge and adding the seat belt cutter like the Rescue would have been a better choice.

Dtrain
"It seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time"

• No Life Club
Reply #39 on: February 11, 2009, 10:03:01 AM
Just was playing with my OHT and wanted to say this, wasn't sure where would be best -

I think one of the "things" about SAKs is that you believe in them.

There's not that much fancy about them, a fairy generic steel, basic blade shape, plain nylon grips.

Every Spyderco, CRKT, or Gerber folder is infinitely "faster", but I still have no doubt that these little "red" knives can be used day in, day out and offer reliable service for a long time.

Holding this knife I feel fully confident that this could be a soldier's knife, or a farmer's knife, or a bakers, or a mechanics, or a nurses, or an architects knife.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%