Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

AAA twisty pocket light needed - options?

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • I brake for cake
on: February 23, 2017, 07:33:41 AM
I'm looking for a new pocket flashlight.  Would like:
  • Twisty UI
  • Multi mode - 2 or 3 brightness levels, one of those moonlight/firefly if possible
  • Simple UI preferred - start in low or medium, or with reliable mode memory
  • Removable or no pocket clip
  • Single AAA battery
  • Black, not ti/copper/brass/coloured
Possible products:
Fenix E05
Eagletac D25AAA
Olight I3S EOS
Thrunite Ti3

Could spend up to £50 for the right light, but would prefer to spend less than £30.

Any others I should consider, or avoid?  Thanks. :tu:

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Re: AAA twisty pocket light needed - options?
Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 07:35:45 AM
Tank007 E09
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #2 on: February 23, 2017, 07:44:50 AM
Some good contenders there. I had a bad experience with the Lumintop Worm recently. Died in 4 days. My other worm has been going strong though so it could of just been a dud.

I have had a Fenix E05 on my keying for years now and it has never skipped a beat. The Olight is hard to beat and is one of my favorites. I would look into the Olight I3S-CU. Its Brass, Super bright, good UI and I like the design better than the I3S EOS and I3E EOS. The I3E EOS in Copper is awesome though.

https://www.amazon.com/Olight-Keychain-Flashlight-Variable-output-i3S-Titanium/dp/B01H1HC1M4/ref=nav_ya_signin?ie=UTF8&qid=1487832082&sr=8-11&keywords=olight+AAA&
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01H1L4DO4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I'm the milk man!

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #3 on: February 23, 2017, 07:47:09 AM
Forgot to mention the Olight I3E EOS in Silver. 120 lumens for this version and it looks awesome.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017R560VI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I'm the milk man!

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #4 on: February 23, 2017, 07:56:16 AM
I have the Thrunite Ti3 in NW and am very happy with it... It's small for it's size. Has 3 modes (including firefly) and a hidden strobe mode... bought it for around USD 20 / GBP 16.

Here it is pictured next to the Olight i3E EOS and an Eneloop AAA for size comparison

You can't go wrong with any of the lights you are considering... I would pressume the Olight i3S EOS is longer than the i3E EOS and would probably be about the same size as the Thrunite Ti3...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: February 23, 2017, 09:34:38 AM
The aluminium olight i3s is pretty much the perfect AAA flashlight, far as I can tell. Turns on in medium brightness, which is ideal - bright enough for most uses, extended battery life, and it doesn't blind you first by switching on in dazzle mode. (sadly the brass variant has a different order and always blinds you first.)

The Astrolux AO1 is another one to consider - it starts moonlight mode - but it has no pocket clip. On the other hand, if you don't mind waiting for it to ship from China, it currently costs 7.99 US dollars - including shipping - which is insanely cheap for such a good flashlight. I can't put a direct link here cos it gets tagged as spam so you'll have to use the ol' google/search engine of your choice to track that down.

Anyway - I own both these flashlights but haven't EDC'd the Astrolux yet. The oilight is 2x as expensive but probably worth it. It's a little slimmer & more streamlined.

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #6 on: February 23, 2017, 09:44:11 AM
Tank007 E09

I've got a Tank007 PA01 and it's OK, but the mode memory is very frustrating.  It remembers which brightness you were at, then comes on in the next one in the sequence.   ::)  Does the E09 do the same?

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #7 on: February 23, 2017, 09:46:49 AM
Some good contenders there. I had a bad experience with the Lumintop Worm recently. Died in 4 days. My other worm has been going strong though so it could of just been a dud.

I have had a Fenix E05 on my keying for years now and it has never skipped a beat. The Olight is hard to beat and is one of my favorites. I would look into the Olight I3S-CU. Its Brass, Super bright, good UI and I like the design better than the I3S EOS and I3E EOS. The I3E EOS in Copper is awesome though.

https://www.amazon.com/Olight-Keychain-Flashlight-Variable-output-i3S-Titanium/dp/B01H1HC1M4/ref=nav_ya_signin?ie=UTF8&qid=1487832082&sr=8-11&keywords=olight+AAA&
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01H1L4DO4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks captain. :tu:  I like the look of the worm - shame yours crapped out so early.  Got an old E05 that I'm using at the moment, but would like a lower light setting and longer battery life if possible.  Would prefer black (it's slimming, you see :D), but the brass and copper ones do look nice.

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #8 on: February 23, 2017, 09:48:19 AM
I have the Thrunite Ti3 in NW and am very happy with it...

Thanks jaya_man. :tu:

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #9 on: February 23, 2017, 10:00:28 AM
The aluminium olight i3s is pretty much the perfect AAA flashlight, far as I can tell. Turns on in medium brightness, which is ideal - bright enough for most uses, extended battery life, and it doesn't blind you first by switching on in dazzle mode. (sadly the brass variant has a different order and always blinds you first.)

The Astrolux AO1 is another one to consider - it starts moonlight mode - but it has no pocket clip. On the other hand, if you don't mind waiting for it to ship from China, it currently costs 7.99 US dollars - including shipping - which is insanely cheap for such a good flashlight. I can't put a direct link here cos it gets tagged as spam so you'll have to use the ol' google/search engine of your choice to track that down.

Anyway - I own both these flashlights but haven't EDC'd the Astrolux yet. The oilight is 2x as expensive but probably worth it. It's a little slimmer & more streamlined.

Thanks Thunderpants.  The Astrolux does look good, and cheap too. :tu:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: February 23, 2017, 10:54:51 AM
Another to add to your list might be the Jetbeam JET- µ.  I'm a huge fan of mode memory and this is one of the few AAA lights I can think of that has it.  While I don#t have the JET- µ I do have it's bigger brother the Jet-1 MK (AA rather than AAA) and it's been a regular carry ever since I got it.  The only downside that I can see is that it's not readily available from anywhere other than from China and so you'd need to wait a couple of weeks to get your hands on one.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: February 23, 2017, 10:59:21 AM
Tank007 E09

I've got a Tank007 PA01 and it's OK, but the mode memory is very frustrating.  It remembers which brightness you were at, then comes on in the next one in the sequence.   ::)  Does the E09 do the same?

I had similar frustrations with my PA02.  However I think I worked out that you need to keep it on in a single mode for 5 seconds or so for the mode memory to kick in.  If you just quickly cycle through the modes and then turn it off you'll end up with the next level next time you switch it on. 

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #12 on: February 23, 2017, 11:06:19 AM
£7 over your budget, but it's so pretty

https://www.heinnie.com/fenix-15th-anniversary-special-edition

Other than that I'd go with the Olight
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #13 on: February 23, 2017, 11:10:32 AM
Surefire Titan Plus any good? Initially had this in mind before I decided on the Thrunite Ti3... a bit pricey though.

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: February 23, 2017, 11:21:44 AM

Yep, that anniversary Fenix is gorgeous! But how many years do flashlights last before they conk out? Seems like an insane amount of money for a fancy exterior and a limited edition serial number... 

Of course if someone is rich and money is no object, go for it....

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #15 on: February 23, 2017, 12:06:42 PM

A bit fancy for my tastes, and I doubt I'd stump up the extra over an E05 TBH.  Surefire Titan is a bit pricey too, especially in the UK.

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #16 on: February 23, 2017, 12:16:39 PM

https://www.heinnie.com/f...niversary-special-edition

A bit fancy for my tastes, and I doubt I'd stump up the extra over an E05 TBH.  Surefire Titan is a bit pricey too, especially in the UK.

Go for the Olight, you wont regret it
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

us Offline eddie1115

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: February 23, 2017, 04:13:52 PM
So I've had an Olight i3s for a few years now (on my second one).  When my first one disappeared I spent hours looking to see if there was a better replacement.  I spent a lot of time looking at the Thrunite Ti3 (which is already on your list), but ended up with the exact same Olight (even the same color, black of course ;) ).  For me, it came down to UI.  I couldn't find another AAA twisty that had a firefly mode, but started in medium.  The Thrunite starts in firefly.  So while I like having that sub-lumen option, I want it to start on my most used mode.

So depending on whether or not you need moonlight, and then which mode you start in, makes that list smaller.  On a side note, that Eagletac is loaded with nice features, if only it had moonlight mode...
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 04:14:53 PM by eddie1115 »

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: February 23, 2017, 04:40:25 PM
Does it have to be a twisty? UltraTac K18 is an amazing light with 10440 batteries.

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #19 on: February 23, 2017, 04:59:58 PM
Does it have to be a twisty? UltraTac K18 is an amazing light with 10440 batteries.

Yes, to keep the overall length down.  Don't want 10440 either thanks - needs to run on NiMH AAs.

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #20 on: February 23, 2017, 05:07:45 PM
Like EagTac, Ultratac runs on any AAA but can take 10440 as well...

It's just a really tight fit on the EagTac if opting for 10440

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #21 on: February 23, 2017, 05:16:14 PM
I have 3 of the 4 you are considering.  I dont have the Eagletac.   The others are terrific light that I can recommend. What about the Thrunite Ti?  Its by far my favorite AAA light I own.  The brightness is awesome and the low/moonlight are equally nice.  I do like the hidden strobe as well.  Plus its Ti  :salute:
Esse Quam Videri

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #22 on: February 23, 2017, 05:27:36 PM
Just to add, the stainless and brass versions of the i3S has a higher lumens of 180... where as the rest of the i3S variations is only 120lm

us Offline clown

• No Life Club
  • Learn to swim...
Reply #23 on: February 24, 2017, 02:59:44 AM
I'd also suggest the ITP A3 EOS.  I have an older version that has been put through the ringer as my work EDC for years now and hasn't missed a beat.  The newer ones have firefly, medium, 150 lumen max and strobe for $15.  In fact I think Im going to order a new one  :)

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #24 on: February 24, 2017, 10:35:09 AM
Tank007 E09

I had similar frustrations with my PA02.  However I think I worked out that you need to keep it on in a single mode for 5 seconds or so for the mode memory to kick in.  If you just quickly cycle through the modes and then turn it off you'll end up with the next level next time you switch it on.

:tu:  Winner.  Takes 3 seconds in a particular mode for it to remember the setting.  Going to use the PA01 for a bit, then see if I still want a new light.

Leaning towards the Eagletac D25AAA at the moment, mostly because I like the looks.  Thanks for the help and advice everyone. :cheers:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #25 on: February 24, 2017, 02:58:40 PM
Tank007 E09

:tu:  Winner.  Takes 3 seconds in a particular mode for it to remember the setting.  Going to use the PA01 for a bit, then see if I still want a new light.

Leaning towards the Eagletac D25AAA at the moment, mostly because I like the looks.  Thanks for the help and advice everyone. :cheers:

Good stuff mate.  I couldn't quite remember how long you had to leave it on in a mode for it to be memorised, but I knew it was longer than I'd naturally do.  ::)  Silly system if you ask me and even knowing it's there I still get caught out when using my PA02.

Can I ask what it is you like about the D25AAA?  I'm a huge fan of my D25A and older P10A so I'm not doubting your choice, but it's low mode is actually pretty bright for a lot of people's taste.

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: February 25, 2017, 02:38:17 AM
Here's another recommendation for the Fenix E05.  Good solid light.  Around $20 US.
- Steve

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #27 on: February 25, 2017, 07:42:35 AM
Can I ask what it is you like about the D25AAA?  I'm a huge fan of my D25A and older P10A so I'm not doubting your choice, but it's low mode is actually pretty bright for a lot of people's taste.

I like the curved main body and the coloured band round the head.  The lens arrangement seems like a good idea too.

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #28 on: February 25, 2017, 11:48:12 AM
I like the curved main body and the coloured band round the head.

Physical.jpg
* Physical.jpg (Filesize: 62.26 KB)

england Offline Kev D

Reply #29 on: February 27, 2017, 02:07:15 PM
The Olight i3E EOS is a great little light. I have carried one daily for a few months now. I can highly recommend it.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 02:15:44 PM by Kevin Davey »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD