Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Budget EDC, Upcycle / Reuse to save money

detron · 149 · 27643

us Offline Neko2

• I have too many and not enough.
Re: Budget EDC, Upcycle / Reuse to save money
Reply #120 on: November 14, 2015, 01:31:34 AM
If you get overpriced coffee at Starbucks or know someone that does, the green plastic stoppers they put in the drinky hole on the hot drinks makes a great epoxy stirrer, spreader, stuff poker and can be easily cut and shaped for other uses while staying decently strong.
2015-11-13 19.29.36.jpg
* 2015-11-13 19.29.36.jpg (Filesize: 101.69 KB)
2015-11-13 19.30.24.jpg
* 2015-11-13 19.30.24.jpg (Filesize: 63.65 KB)

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #121 on: November 16, 2015, 02:56:55 AM
man, this is the thread for me! Recycling rules!

Today I took some particle board that used to be an entertainment center, and made slats so my daughter could use her new bedframe (no boxspring yet), after sleeping with the mattress on the floor for far longer than I care to admit...

I have also added shelving to my utility room with wood from the same entertainment center.
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #122 on: November 16, 2015, 07:03:01 PM
When cleaning out my office today, it struck me one of my best tips is learning a handful of knots. I'm not talking fancy stuff, just a handful of bends, hitches, and loops you can trust. Knowing just a few knots has saved me a lot of work and running around, and, also, money, as tying up things doesn't cover them in glue, doesn't force you to cut up stuff you can use again, opens up new fields of use for items, etc. I know this post got pretty abstract, but it's one of those “err... you can use it for... everything?” cases.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #123 on: February 05, 2016, 04:55:14 PM
Bump. This thread can't disappear!

I used a piece of string to suspend my sak in my pocket until I fashioned a clip from a picture hanger(like Detron. A Detron-clip maybe? 8))
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #124 on: February 05, 2016, 06:18:18 PM
I don't throw out old receipts. I use them to jot down shopping lists when I go grocery shopping.
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

scotland Offline Boaz

Reply #125 on: February 06, 2016, 02:30:22 PM
I'm so happy that I've found this thread, I don't have loads fur EDC but I really enjoy reusing and repurposing various items.

This one gave me twice the fun, a nice Cigar box turned into a place to keep a couple of Razors, pretty straightforward: seal the box with a good quality oil, make a cardboard cut out in the shape of the Razors and cover in felt.

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #126 on: February 10, 2016, 05:51:32 PM
Thread and material recycling.....

(Image removed from quote.)

Ikea suspension clips.

I like this idea and wish I had something like this.  I have one P-7 clip in which I have to take off/put on whatever sak I want to carry!  I would love to have a couple others.  :)
A few things you can do to solve this problem:
1. Add a mini gate clip to the P-7 like the pic below, so you can switch it around between different tool.

2. Get a whole bunch P-7 knock off for $1 each.
http://www.SPAMCORP.com/Xtools-EDC-Mini-Clip-Flashlight-Clip-Money-Cash-Holder-Key-Chain-Clip-With-Ring-p-988356.html

I tried the first one but it changes the way the keyring rides in my pocket, which bugs me!  :)

No one likes getting poked and bruised by the key ring on their dangler that is held at a right angle to the dangler.  Use a fishing swivel between the dangler and what you're hanging from it instead of a key ring, and everything will stay flat in your pocket.  Here's a picture of one of my knives on a dangler made from an aluminum fence tie, showing a fishing swivel between them. The next picture of fishing swivels was from the internet.  I'm not endorsing that company, I'm just using their picture.  I gave a step by step on bending the dangler out of the fence tie in my SOG PowerLock January challenge thread in the SOG forum.
PLday20b.JPG
* PLday20b.JPG (Filesize: 217.33 KB)

* swivels.jpg (Filesize: 23.59 KB)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 05:52:55 PM by Alan K. »

bavaria Offline Humppa

Reply #127 on: February 13, 2016, 12:32:35 PM
I´ve just made a clip from a wall hanger, as described on page one of this thread.
It works just great and is done within five minutes. It won´t last forever, but I think it will do it some time!

Thanks for the inspiration. These suspender clips are rather expensive, while the wall hangers get for three bucks a dozen.

You can call me Papa Andi

R.I.P. Lemmy Kilmister 24th Dec 1945 - 28th Dec 2015

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #128 on: February 15, 2016, 02:54:06 PM
In the cold weather months, I wear a neck gator made by cutting off the bottom of stretchy pajama legs.
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #129 on: February 29, 2016, 06:40:34 PM
I have nothing new to add other than to say my collection is budget and recycled.  I got nearly all my tools second/third and possibly fourth hand. 

A few of my recycled favorites include my Old Swisschamp, OG Wave, JPST, Opinel, and Cadet 2 all which were bought very used and very much needing new life.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline tattoosteve99

Reply #130 on: February 29, 2016, 07:17:03 PM
Lately I've been recycling everything! Plastic bottles, tins, paper. All food scraps go into a compost pile. So far so good. Now just trying to figure out something to crush the plastic with to make it smaller. 
If I remember correctly, wait, what was I saying?

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #131 on: February 29, 2016, 07:23:06 PM
Lately I've been recycling everything! Plastic bottles, tins, paper. All food scraps go into a compost pile. So far so good. Now just trying to figure out something to crush the plastic with to make it smaller.

At my other home the city gave us 2 trash cans.  1 was for typical waste and the other for only recyclables.

I threw out my "regular" trash once a month ( pick up was weekly ) while my recycle container was piled over ( pick up was every other week ). 

We are the same here in my condo our recycle container goes out every few days while out "regular" trash goes out maybe weekly. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline tattoosteve99

Reply #132 on: February 29, 2016, 07:27:06 PM
We have no free recycling here unless I take it myself. But at least we have it.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #133 on: February 29, 2016, 07:46:14 PM
We have no free recycling here unless I take it myself. But at least we have it.

Interesting.  Here in SoCal you will be fined if you throw recycles in the "regular" trash.  I've seen some neighbors ( when I lived in a house ) have their trash be refused for pick up because it had recyclables in it.   Now in apartment complexes and such this would be a huge PITA to enforce so it's not.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline getahl

Reply #134 on: March 05, 2016, 03:29:57 AM

Interesting.  Here in SoCal you will be fined if you throw recycles in the "regular" trash.  I've seen some neighbors ( when I lived in a house ) have their trash be refused for pick up because it had recyclables in it.   Now in apartment complexes and such this would be a huge PITA to enforce so it's not.

I didn't know that, and I'm in south eastern Ventura county.

us Offline tattoosteve99

Budget EDC, Upcycle / Reuse to save money
Reply #135 on: March 05, 2016, 06:26:14 PM
I try to recycle everything as much as I can. Papers I can burn to light fires or make into paper logs for burning. Plastic is hard to do anything with (bags and bottles) but they accept those at the center. Any special plastics or thick I keep for milling or repair of other things.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #136 on: March 06, 2016, 12:55:19 AM

Hmm maybe its city to city.  I know the news reported at one time residents in the beach area were being fined.  In my former neighborhood they flat out refused to collect trash with recyclables in it. 

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #137 on: March 06, 2016, 05:06:02 PM
I try to recycle everything as much as I can. Papers I can burn to light fires or make into paper logs for burning. Plastic is hard to do anything with (bags and bottles) but they accept those at the center. Any special plastics or thick I keep for milling or repair of other things.
I do that too, usually with the free phonebooks that lay around my apartment complex's mailroom for months (and eventually just gets thrown out).

I also scavenge scrap wood and screws/hardware from broken down furniture. Most of the shelves I put up since moving in came from one battered old entertaientertainment center
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

pl Offline theredel

• The Groke
Reply #138 on: May 24, 2016, 08:02:10 PM
Plate from dead printer + velcro glued with super glue = laptop bag organizer:

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #139 on: May 24, 2016, 09:59:36 PM
Nice :salute:
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline detron

• Tool Carrying Linux User
Reply #140 on: May 24, 2016, 11:28:39 PM

awesome!  you solved the biggest issue I have with normal bags,  they are meant to be filled from the bottom up, in layers, when I really strive for vertical storage, like you did.  otherwise you end up with dead area at the top, and a jumble of mess below
If I can help, let me know 

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #141 on: June 11, 2016, 03:27:04 PM
I make no claim as to the effectiveness of this setup. It just sounded interesting and looks dirt-cheap to put together. An 'air conditioner' made from recycled soda bottles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPuh8IFbIzQ

us Offline tattoosteve99

Reply #142 on: June 11, 2016, 03:58:11 PM
I make no claim as to the effectiveness of this setup. It just sounded interesting and looks dirt-cheap to put together. An 'air conditioner' made from recycled soda bottles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPuh8IFbIzQ

That's actually very awesome!

00 Offline WWW

• No Life Club
Reply #143 on: July 20, 2016, 02:32:13 AM
Can't find any pics of a few suspension clips I made but I just took this one of my pencil holder, it was made from an ond duffel bag that was going to the garbage.
100_2143 (640x468).jpg
* 100_2143 (640x468).jpg (Filesize: 228.17 KB)

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #144 on: July 21, 2016, 06:33:51 PM
It seems good and solid!  :tu:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #145 on: October 30, 2016, 09:00:41 PM
This thread should be at the top, because its great.
BUMP!

I love the organizer by theredel above, I assume you can use any plate?  :drool:

Here's my addition, take a microfiber cloth, and sow a snug pouch for your multitool to help protect from scratches! Slimmer than a leather pouch, also keeps tool clean, at the expense of (maybe) looks and impact resistance(compared to leather). I think leather for bigger tools, this for pocket/keychain size? :)
I don't worry so much about drops, so this is perfect and not very bulky for me.
You can clean your glasses with it too!

Oh, and with some phone covers, you can tuck your swisscard in. It might make the phone too thick for comfort, or something.
Make sure the swisscard wont scratch your phone and/or break!
It works fine for me.
IMG_20161030_193726.jpg
* IMG_20161030_193726.jpg (Filesize: 209.67 KB)
IMG_20161030_193655.jpg
* IMG_20161030_193655.jpg (Filesize: 224.74 KB)
IMG_20161030_193953.jpg
* IMG_20161030_193953.jpg (Filesize: 192.02 KB)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 09:02:13 PM by Pablo O'Brien »
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline zrxoa1

• No Life Club
Reply #146 on: November 21, 2016, 12:42:24 PM
Great stuff!!!  Bump back to the top...

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

us Offline zrxoa1

• No Life Club
Reply #147 on: February 25, 2017, 06:01:05 AM
Another bumpity...

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

england Offline Guardian

• Unless
Reply #148 on: February 25, 2017, 08:50:06 AM

Hmm maybe its city to city.  I know the news reported at one time residents in the beach area were being fined.  In my former neighborhood they flat out refused to collect trash with recyclables in it. 

Everyone should do their bit to save the planet

Here's recycling in the UK...
IMG_0198.JPG
* IMG_0198.JPG (Filesize: 145.21 KB)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 10:22:41 AM by Guardian »
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."
― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD